Features / Animations we really miss from old PES's

vivek1412

League 2
2 December 2007
India
Arsenal
There were various features that were removed without clear reasons. just to point out a few:
1. players stretchered off the field!. (loved it when opposition players were taken out like that)
2. refree selection.(selecting tougher refs against players who foul a lot)
3. Home and away matches. (which was really awesome)
4. individual player strategies like the arrows, attack mindness etc,
5. applying for swap deal in ML.

why remove features which are already there ?

The modify setup option to mix and match the Home and Away kits. Loved that feature. Could play a Milan derby without having to choose home or away kits.

It was more the Home and Away support stance that I would love to see back. I understand the reasoning to have the Home support louder and more apparent, but this is too much. There was nothing better in the old PES than having rival fans chanting back and forth. Even if Konami have it 70-30% in favour of the home team, with a 50/50 split for Cup-Finals.

Point 4, I actually prefer it now. It's more individual to the player, which is another step in the right direction for me personally, although I do appreciate both sides of this argument.

I'd really love the attacking arrows and defensive awareness options back in tactics. You could really set-up the way you want, by either telling your AM not to bother tracking back (low defence), or instructing your Winger to cut inside (diagonal attacking arrows).

Made it a lot easier to go all out attack or all out defence with those settings as well.

Not really a fan of the new strategy stuff.

ya the player control with those arrows was great, u just knew where ur player would run when u have possesion, that was more tactical in my opinion.
also i see my wing back sometimes in scoring positions which wcould have been negated by those arrows easily.
like if i want only my LB to move forward, and LB to stay back with defense. thats not the case now

CHALLENGE TRAINING ! ! !
Situation Training too !

It was brilliant - it would ease newbies into the game, letting them get to grips with the mechanics/gameplay and most of the commands/moves available.
It was good for experienced PES players as well, to notice the subtle changes, Challenge Training also had the high score leaderboards and gave you a lot of points for the unlockables! :)
I don't understand why they were removed at all.

I would like to see dipping/topspin shots as in PES5.

Can't think of much else from the old PES' I miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good shout Rob, from what I remember it was implemented into the ML as well. During Pre-Season you could select a player and do the challenge training to help ramp up his attributes. Dribbling Acc/Speed would be improved by the in and out of the cones challenge for instance.

What else was there? I remember a standard Attack vs Defence one, a piggy in the middle one where you had to complete a number of passes, a long ball into a target one. Uhhmmm, they were all actually really good.

ALSO, the 'PLAY-AGAIN' button in free-training. That was massive fun, you could tee up a volley and have endless attempts at perfecting the technique and finding a sweet connection.

1.International Challenge,
2.Home/Away fans (Chants) also to accord chants to all clubs with own songs,
3.Possibility to set how many fans on stadium,
4.Good dat folders,chance to edit all in game (e_text,0_text,e_sound,0_sound)...
5.Snow condition.

Last edited:
and the Camera angles where it could be rotated too! was really good.
Snow conditions were also fun. imagine going to a champions league match against a strong side in snowy conditions! wow.
Fake shot was also good but maybe too effective for my liking. u could just use it too fool all the defenders :P

I really miss everything you all guys have mentioned, like training mode, snow conditions, tactics and the crowds. I miss the possibility of taking away those stupid walls in the midfield when there was a foul (PES 2008), I also miss the tactic "Counterattack" from PES 2010 and previous games, it was brilliant when you had 3 men as CF or SS and your opponent was attacking full-forth when you were winning. I also miss the possibility of making your goalkeeper go in the last minutes if there was a corner kick (PES 2009), I know they actually attack in PES 2011 but it was better to decide if you wanted it to happen or not. Another small thing, I missed when you could have the 3 adidas stripes in a single pattern in Edit Mode, not to mention old-gen rectangular nets (also next-gen PES 2007). Defending in PES 2010 and all previous games was much better. I can't think about anything else right now.

In conclusion, I think PES has improved a lot in the recent years, bringing a lot of very useful characteristics, but one thing I just don't understand is why has Konami deleted or eliminated good features? Imagine PES 2011 gameplay (a bit improved, of course) and all of the features we have mentioned in this post, the game would be very close to perfection!

- The proper wide camera.
- The chest passes from the PS2 games.
- The attacking and defending arrows, in 2011 its very annoying when my DM repeatedly shows up in the final third of the pitch. That never happened back in the day when the Covering option and arrows were available.

It's not a feature per se but I miss the overall awareness of your team mates and the opposition. PES 2011 is a joke in this regard.

Also when you made a substitution (during a throw in) or swapped your wide players, when you got back to the game, said players would actually jog over and swap wings. Nowadays they magically appear in their new positions. I hate that.

The probelm with those attacking and defensive arrows was how they where abused wasan't it? or ws that the whole position thing?

Also with the new system it's more about the individuality and more tactical since players like Ratface, Ronaldinho just won't track back since it's not in their game whee as David Villa, Rooney, Tevez etc will...

I prefer the new system anyway

I don't get why they took the stretcher and injury animations out. PES 2011 ones are rubbish!

It's not a feature per se but I miss the overall awareness of your team mates and the opposition. PES 2011 is a joke in this regard.

???

Simple things like players not being aware that the ball is loose and there to be won, or when the ball is there to be hit but they make no effort whatsoever to move towards the ball. Or defenders kicking/heading the ball out of play despite me telling them to kick/head away from the goal.

There is a lot more for me to compain about and it's frustrating because, I rarely experienced these things on the PS2, in 2011 they happen in every game I play, both offline and online.

Regarding the overall awareness, it's as if the players become blind for a second or two, and literally don't see that the ball is five inches away from their feet.

To me some of the issues would be resolved with better animations.

shirt lifting celebration on totti? or someone back in pes 4? 5?

awesome. anybody got a video?:BOP:

i always wondered if there was a shirt lifting (no homo) celebration in the old pes.

weird thing is konami had added some new animations to the ps2 versions still such as in pes 2008 ps2 my player van persie got injured and stretchered off but returned to the field with his knee bandaged up and hobbling.

also in this years pes 2011 ps2 i was 3-2 down with 5 mins left made a sub and it showed the guy holding the sub number up and a coach in a tracksuit giving my player instructions and pumping his fist.never seen this on a ps2 version before

i miss the snow option
the kit mixing
the crowd close up when a goal is scored
the mud stained goalmouths and pitch
neckwarmers and short socks (totti style)
oh and boots have now gone from ps2 version how stupid is that

or hang on, i think it was more of a badge kissing animation where he stretched his shirt. anyway it looked pretty damn good for ps2 graphics.

ya the crowd close up during goals, n before the match was good., also the medal ceremony where all the players received the medals was great. now they jus appear automatically with medals.
The "KAsuki Ito ref" matches were really fun as we jus cudn miss any tackle, wud b straight red.

Off the top of my head:

- Europe and World All Star teams.
- Coin Toss (from old ISS days:))))
- All the old stadia missing from next-gen.
- The crowd atmosphere (banners, flags, flares, chants), especially for derby games.
- Variable home/away support setting.
- Variable stadium attendance setting.
- Mix-and-match kit selection.
- Snow & player's breath visible in cold weather.
- Training challenges.
- All the edit mode options from PES5.
- The old master league (pre-WEFA cup)

Probably more but can't think of any.

Simple things like players not being aware that the ball is loose and there to be won, or when the ball is there to be hit but they make no effort whatsoever to move towards the ball. Or defenders kicking/heading the ball out of play despite me telling them to kick/head away from the goal.

This happens a lot when you are playing online against a player from a division below and offline when you are 1 up against the CPU. The game play gets worse the higher up you go in divisions, as I find it better to play in D4 and D5 than D1,D2 and D3 even with worse players.

5. applying for swap deal in ML.

I too miss:

* The players stretchered off the field
* Straight swap deal in ML
* Kit mixing (maybe they should include 3rd team kit in the next version)
* Mud stains on kits and pitch
* neckwarmers and short socks (as mentioned already)
* Training challenges (which were really enjoyable and HELPFUL, especially since the free kick dynamics seemed to change for each version - it would be good to be able to perfect these things through training.)
* Other animations including a bit of interaction between players after each match (just before the match details screen)

What annoys me about the last point is that every year Konami promise new animations (usually in triple figures) but these never seem to be obvious. In fact a lot of the small animations have been removed entirely. I think they need to work on this in the next version.
Couldn't you also see your players training on the side-line in 2010 or 2009? I'm sure you could...

Off the top of my head:

- Europe and World All Star teams.
- Coin Toss (from old ISS days:))))
- All the old stadia missing from next-gen.
- The crowd atmosphere (banners, flags, flares, chants), especially for derby games.
- Variable home/away support setting.
- Variable stadium attendance setting.
- Mix-and-match kit selection.
- Snow & player's breath visible in cold weather.
- Training challenges.
- All the edit mode options from PES5.
- The old master league (pre-WEFA cup)

Probably more but can't think of any.

Fair Play!!! -when player lays down injured, other team players kick the ball out. even if it's about your player and you kick the ball out, other team players give you the ball back

That reminds me - if a player went down seriously injured and didn't get up in a while, and the ball didn't go out of play, the ref would stop the game and give a drop ball.

Also I'd like to see the return of a proper advantage rule, and the refs going back to book players after a passage of play ends. Currently you can scythe down someone from behind, but if the ref plays (an albeit rare) advantage, then you have gotten away with it completely.

Not really a feature, but I'd like to see more fouls, as in PES5, currently the tackling is too easy and the refs too lenient when it comes to standing tackles. Also would like to see pens given from these tackles, and more red cards for keepers.

Another thing from the old PES games (especially 5 iirc) was that you could hold the "keeper charge" button when crosses/corners have been struck into your box, which would make your keeper attempt to come and catch it. In 2011 it just seems to make them stand in no-man's-land (unless the cross is very high).

I would like to see the return of a PES5 R2 dribble button (obviously on a different button now R2 is close control) - faster than the left stick alone, but with much closer control of the ball than the full-out R1 sprint.

That reminds me - if a player went down seriously injured and didn't get up in a while, and the ball didn't go out of play, the ref would stop the game and give a drop ball

Hi you all, I swear that happened to me once in the past, can't remember wich version it was but PS2 for sure: a player fell down injured but we (as I was playing a versus game) didn't throw the ball out and then the ref stop the play and we restarted from a drop ball. Sorry, cannot remember the version, but it was one of those in which AI used to throw out ball if you fell injured.

In addition to this list, HANDBALL were also present in the game at some PS2 version, it was ramdom since you can't choose to make it or not, but was a reality bite. I always thought Konami should add a trap button so you could make deliberate handball or grab someone's t-shirt.

PD: I apoligize for my english, I'm from spain

Last edited:
Hi you all, I swear that happened to me once in the past, can't remember wich version it was but PS2 for sure: a player fell down injured but we (as I was playing a versus game) didn't throw the ball out and then the ref stop the play and we restarted from a drop ball. Sorry, cannot remember the version, but it was one of those in which AI used to throw out ball if you fell injured.

In addition to this list, HANDBALL were also present in the game at some PS2 version, it was ramdom since you can't choose to make it or not, but was a reality bite. I always thought Konami should add a trap button so you could make deliberate handball or grab someone's t-shirt.

PD: I apoligize for my english, I'm from spain

It happened to me in PES 5 about a dozen times or so. I never put the ball out but the CPU always did...how kind of them.

- Scenario mode from ISS.
- Also player swap deals in ML.
Great call on Scenario Mode, I loved that on ISS2000!

Swap deals I would only like to see return if implemented properly - on the PS2 versions you could trade the ML defaults to top sides with a little extra money and they would accept it - e.g. me and a mate swapped Ivarov for Buffon, when realistically Juve would never take on a keeper as poor as Ivarov let alone lose Buffon!

PES 3 and it was a HORRIBLE feature! The game was constantly stopped for incidents you had no control over, I'm all for realism but handballs and diving is not something I'm at all interested in for PES. (Altho I don't mind the CPU diving offline)

Which reminds me how much better the advantage rule was implemented in older games.

Back
Top Bottom