English Premier League thread

well i saw a couple of Liegi's and usa national team's matches and i was quite disappointed by him (probably coz of the fact that he is quite overhyped, as u correctly say).
i mean, he's already 25 years old now... he's a little too old to be a "promising player"...

that's for sure! i've got nothing against him :) Actually i hope he will turn into a great defender and show me how wrong i am ;)
yeah but he didnt start playing professionally until he was 20 or 21.... i think he will be a solid defender. Im surprised your feel this way after watching him dominate luca toni. He threw luca toni about like a rag doll and basically made luca toni tottaly ineffective, and toni got pulled for it.... US was still the only team to not lose to ITALY in world cup

I hope West Ham don't get relegated (but i also hope Wigan stay up, even more than West Ham).

How come you want Wigan to stay up more than West Ham?
(Just curious ;) )

But steevio, you have to be very biased to call that "a litle soft"...it was one of the most stupid penalties i've ever saw. Anton Ferdinand is considered to be a promising defender...i have to say that he still has to learn a lot.
It was very, very clear that there was contact between Ferdinand and the attacker...

Believe me mate, I am very far from biased and I will call a penalty a penalty.
But I was literally sitting no less than 20ft from where it happened and Henderson collapsed his legs and fell so easily.
Now please don't misunderstand me as I know the decision can go either way (As you saw with the Wigan vs Arsenal penalty NOT given for Heskey.. it was practically the same) and Ferdinand shouldn't have put his hands on the attacker.... but mate, that's literally what he did:- put his hand and the shoulder and the attacker went down too easily.
I have seen far worse not given mate.

As I say mate, it was 'soft' in my opinion as Henderson could have easily stayed on his feet like Heskey could and the decision could have gone either way as it was not clear cut.
(Wiley had a generally poor game that day anyway including the shocking decision not to reduce Watford to 10 men when we got our penalty)

But as I say... I am not biased and we were and are a shambles and unless we get a monor miracle,- we are gone mate.

yeah but he didnt start playing professionally until he was 20 or 21.... i think he will be a solid defender. Im surprised your feel this way after watching him dominate luca toni. He threw luca toni about like a rag doll and basically made luca toni tottaly ineffective, and toni got pulled for it.... US was still the only team to not lose to ITALY in world cup

well, mate, luca was absolutely "toasted" in germany. he arrived at the wc so tired (played almost 60 matches with fiorentina, almost always for the whole 90 minutes and he played in a one-man-attack for the whole season) that he was totally unrecognizable... i think everybody could have dominate him in that month.

anyway, as i said before, that's just an opinion.... maybe i'm wrong (didn't see him playing so many times, afterall)...
or maybe i'm right, maybe he's not a good defender now...... but this doesn't mean that he can't become a good defender. the central defender is quite a particular role..... experience is most important for a cb than for a striker.. he'll have the chance to make a lot of experience in newcastle, and he will get better...... (we'll se "how much better").

moreover some players grow slowlier... just look at luca toni, for example... nobody noticed him till he was 27 :shock:

US was still the only team to not lose to ITALY in world cup
not only they "didn't loose to italy".... they phisically dominated us for the whole match. we faced US with the wrong approach and we were astonished by their pace.... with a lil more "experience" US would have won that match for sure. and i can tell u this coz each time i see our players going on the field with that mood, we loose :(

Last edited:
Why i prefer Wigan above West Ham???
The answer to that question is rather strange.
A couple of years ago i played with Wigan in Football Manager. What was creepy was the fact that afterwards real life Wigan became a copy of what happened to my virtual Wigan. I got promoted with Wigan and played a superb first season in the Premiership. It get's weirder if you see which transfers i did after promotion: Ryan Taylor, Josip Skoko and Pascale Chimbonda. At the end of my first season in the Premiership, Wigan ended 7th and i got a big offer for him from...Spurs.
When Wigan got promoted irl and everybody saw them as favourites for relegation, my sympathy for them grew considerably (i'm fond of lost causes). When it turned out that they played some smashing football, i became something of a fan (exaggerated, because now i have the same feelings for Reading).
Still, for some strange reason i have a bond with Wigan...totally subjective but undeniable.

From the Premier League website:

"The Premier League Board today (Friday) charged West Ham United with a breach of Premier League Rules U.18 and B.13 in relation to the transfer agreements entered into with Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.
It is the Board’s complaint that there were agreements in relation to both these transfers that enabled third parties to acquire the ability materially to influence the Club’s policies and/or the performance of its teams in League Matches and/or the competitions set out in Rule E.10.

The Board’s view is this constitutes a breach of Rule U.18, which states: "No Club shall enter into a contract which enables any other party to that contract to acquire the ability materially to influence its policies or the performance of its teams in League Matches or in any of the competitions set out in Rule E.10."

Furthermore, at the time of the transfer agreements for both Tevez and Mascherano, and until January 24, 2007, West Ham United failed to disclose the third-party agreements to the Premier League and/or deliberately withheld these agreements from the Premier League.

The Board’s view is this constitutes a breach of Rule B.13, which states: "In all matters and transactions relating to the League each Club shall behave towards each other Club and the League with the utmost good faith."

West Ham United have 14 days within which to respond to these charges. "

This season gets better and better :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

What's the sanction if West Ham are effectively found guilty???

Fulham played a great match against man Utd, i fel sorry for them because they lost...for matcheslike that the loosing team should get 2 points (but that is very subjective and would be an awful rule).

And finally one question: what happened to Ledly King, i found him one of the best defenders in the Premiership and he never plays in Spurs' first team...is he injured???

What's the sanction if West Ham are effectively found guilty???

Well it's hard to say.
But I expect IF there is a punishment then it to be a points deduction and probably a fine too.
We obviously want that deduction to be this season because we are as good as relegated already :lol:
But I doubt the case will finalise before the summer so the punishment will be at a later date.
Which means (because it is a Premier League charge) it will probably be a points deduction next time we play in the Premier league and will not apply next year to the CCC.

Best case scenario is they make us replay all the games the 2 players played in. (which will never happen!!)
We played about 15 games with them both in and basically lost all of them :lol: :lol:

And finally one question: what happened to Ledly King, i found him one of the best defenders in the Premiership and he never plays in Spurs' first team...is he injured???

I have heard from a couple of usually reliable sources that he has been advised to never play again.
Which would be a massive shame as he is a cracking player and a genuinly nice fella.

Last edited:

Yeah he's injured at the moment,and definitely one of the best defenders in the PL(underrated by the media)i remember him played one of this best game against France during Euro 2004 when he had T;henry in his back pocket:) just a shame he's injury prone:(

Tottenham & West Ham.. one of tha most incredible premiership games this season.. a truly great game.. had me excited all through.. Lennon.. Berbatov.. Tevez.. truly great players

I've been watching Match of the Day for weeks now, and every single week Neil Warnock criticezes referees...i have quite a lot of sympathy for Sheffield but the manager is a very big asshole.

Great performance by Man Utd at Liverpool , Van Der Sar is such a good goal keeper. But if Vidic defends like this in the CL, then Lille can at Old Trafford. I guess Man utd have won the premiership today and let's be honest, they deserve it.

Not won yet. If Chelsea win their game in hand and beat us, it's a 3 point lead. We could drop that with one bad performance out of the last 9 games.

YupStringer, saturday it was with Lineker, Hansen and Shearer...i love it...absolutely love it...

Agree with the league being over, that was Man Utd's big game, regardless of the Chelsea SB game.

FD

We have quite a few injuries now and all we need to do is lose one game and Chelsea can match our points by beating us and winning their game in hand. This must be the 3rd time I've said this on here.

We have NOT won it yet and are still at least 5 wins from winning it.

Can't see it happening.

If Man Utd lose 10 points out of 24 on offer they don't deserve to be champions and let's face facts the EPL isn't proving much contest to them home or away and with the teams they're due to face it doesn't look hard.

FD

Last year Blackburn got the double over us. A few years before Bolton beat us at Old Trafford. That's the next two games.

Scholes is banned for 3 games. Larsson has gone. Ole, Saha and Fletcher are injured. Smith isn't fit. It's going to be difficult.

Every Man Utd fan will reason like you marukomu, it's a kind of superstition...but we neutrals know better...it's over...

Add Silvestre to that injury list... although, thinking about it, isn't losing Silvestre and Fletcher in the same week just continuing our run of good luck?
We need Smithy back to cover in attack and midfield.

I can see your worry, but there's no use talking about last season or the year before or whatever, this is a different season, Bolton have been very poor of late, nothing like the strong unit they where before, although admittedly Blackburn are doing a bit better.

The league is over, mark my words. Trust me, remember I told you all the league was over last season as early as September when Chelsea where ahead. :mrgreen: ;)

FD

One week ago i thought the League was over but given the recents events(injuries,suspension)it's definitely not over yet:) but Chelsea have to face Arsenal at the Emirates ,it will be very difficult to catch man u and win all the games
don't forget man have one more point due to their average goal
the best way for chelsea to catch them would be when they come at the Bridge THE gap is 2 points,but i doubt it..

A someone mentioned before, if we both win our cup games. the Utd Chelsea game will be put back until near th end of the season. maybe next to last game. Hopefully it is all over by then.

A someone mentioned before, if we both win our cup games. the Utd Chelsea game will be put back until near th end of the season. maybe next to last game. Hopefully it is all over by then.

I have a funny feeling that Man Utd and Chelsea will play each other in the CL...
I don't see any of them win the CL...if an English team will win the CL it's Liverpool. But then again, who am i????

I can see your worry, but there's no use talking about last season or the year before or whatever, this is a different season, Bolton have been very poor of late, nothing like the strong unit they where before, although admittedly Blackburn are doing a bit better.

The league is over, mark my words. Trust me, remember I told you all the league was over last season as early as September when Chelsea where ahead. :mrgreen: ;)

FD

You also stated the league was over before it started this year. So are Chelsea still going to win??? :P

I didn't take into account that Man Utd would have improved quite well and the level of the rest of the teams in the EPL would be so consistently poor considering they've been spending ridiculous amounts of money.

Man Utd have surprised me immensely though, although there is no surprise in the EPL who will win the league, only 3 possibilities every season due to the poor standards of opposition.

FD

I disagree you for one have shouted how bad the lower competition in the mid to lower part of the table is not as good as the rest of the table. The fact man U are first are nothing to do with the teams around them its to due with themselves. If the teams were taking more points from the top the leaders would be no different. Chelsea would still be second.

Countries like Scotland, Holland, Turkey have a poor standard of opposition. Not countries like England, Spain, Germany etc....

Say what you want about Bolton but they still are in fifth place. Reading are doing what Wigan done last season.

The only teams are surprising me due to their downfall are Man City, Blackburn and Aston Villa.

I'm surprised about Villa due to the money they have got and the fact they have got one of the Superstars of the SPL in Petrov and the almighty St Martin.

Last edited:
Chelsea are disappointing because of the injuries of Cech and Terry...which is evidence for the fact that their strength is defensive (wheras Man Utd strength is offensive...). Chelsea lack the spark of creative brilliance that players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes have...

Man Utd are having a great season. Chelsea would be on top in any other season. The fact that they've been shit this year (by their recent standards) but are still in contention says a lot about them. One big slip for Utd or a few more injuries and they could still win it.

Chelsea are disappointing because of the injuries of Cech and Terry...which is evidence for the fact that their strength is defensive (wheras Man Utd strength is offensive...). Chelsea lack the spark of creative brilliance that players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes have...

Yeah agree,the only players who has a little bit creativity is J.Cole and he 's out until the end of the season:(

Back
Top Bottom