English Premier League thread

:lmao:

Oliver Holt: Why are our footballers so stupid?
As £8k-a-week players are caught stealing from handbags, our Chief Sports Writer gives his verdict.
By Oliver Holt 10/03/2008

English footballers are not born stupid. It just creeps up on them gradually.
It has got to the point now where our professional leagues look like a shelter for refugees from a convention of village idiots.
The latest embarrassment came this weekend when it was revealed by the Sunday Mirror that two £8,000-aweek Southampton players laughed and joked as they looted handbags of low-paid nightclub barmaids.
Bradley Wright-Phillips and Nathan Dyer are nobodies - a footnote at the bottom of football's lengthening rap-sheet.
Their significance is that they are part of an epidemic of irresponsibility sweeping through the game.
The thing is, a footballer has to be bright and well-grounded to resist being seduced by the non-stop indulgence that surrounds him.
A few - Gary Neville and Frank Lampard are prominent examples - achieve it. Most do not.
Part of the problem is that people are scared of them. Scared of losing the human gold ingot. So nobody says no to them. Nobody contradicts them. Nobody tells them what is right and wrong.
The heady cocktail of youth and millionaire wages adds up to one rule in the lives of many of today's footballers: Anything Goes.
I know of several Premiership players who drove, or still drive, high-performance cars without insurance. Or even a licence.
Remember Glen Johnson, Portsmouth and England player? A little over a year ago, he went into a B&Q in Dartford, Kent, to buy some bathroom fittings.
Except a guard spotted him putting a toilet seat into a box with a cheaper price tag. Johnson also hid a set of taps underneath a sink at the check-out to avoid paying for them. The police fined him £80.
"He seemed to find the whole thing quite funny," a store worker said. "He couldn't stop smirking even after he had been arrested."
Same thing happened with Wright-Phillips. When confronted with the fact that his client had watched mates steal from handbags, the player's agent, Stuart Peters, said: "We're very relaxed about this."
Same when Manchester United and England defender Rio Ferdinand missed a drugs test, supposedly because he forgot about it and went shopping.
United didn't condemn him or even admit that he made a mistake. They tried to smear the drug-testers instead. Then they tried to blame the FA for inconsistent punishments.
Many experts are beginning to believe that this failure by players to take responsibility is one of the deeper-seated reasons for England's under-achievement over the past 40 years. And the problem is only going to get worse. Agents circle promising players well before they reach their teens. They are taken out of mainstream education and into the clubs' academy system.
And then they grow up in football's bubble where it's way too easy to become a pampered, puerile monster. I went to Blackburn Rovers' training ground a couple of weeks ago to speak to their manager, the former United striker Mark Hughes.
He talked about how dismayed he was at the level of pampering of young players in the academy system. They are no longer allowed to clean the boots of senior players in the way that Hughes did when he was a junior at Old Trafford.
Hughes felt that this stopped a young player gaining an idea of the hierarchy and robbed him of respect for the senior players.
"They get too much way too soon," he said.
If you've been involved in football, sooner or later you hear the pick of the stories that this sheltered environment engenders.
The United footballer who thought he needed a passport to get into Wales.
Members of the England Under-21 team who cracked jokes when they were shown around Auschwitz.
The England player who forgot his passport before the team left for a match against Austria last year and delayed the flight by two hours. The goalkeeper who bought a new car every time he got a scratch on his current one.
The depressing thing is that often clubs stop even the bright players from expressing themselves, so paranoid and protective have they become.
Recently, I spoke to the United and England midfielder Owen Hargreaves, who grew up in Canada and played for Bayern Munich for 10 years and is, therefore, more rounded and selfassured than the average English footballer.
It's the same, normally, with the Dutch and French. They are given more responsibility by their clubs at home with the result that they seem like philosopher kings beside their timid English colleagues.
Hargreaves is more than capable of holding his own with journalists but United's public relations machine curtailed the interview after 20 minutes, apparently petrified he'd say the wrong thing.
It was symptomatic of trends that even have many forward-thinking managers tearing out what's left of their hair. "To be a manager," Derby County boss Paul Jewell is fond of saying, "you've got to be a boss, a friend, a money lender, a marriage guidance counsellor. The only thing you haven't got to be is a gynaecologist. But then again, you are dealing with c**** every day."
Plenty of players are better than that - men to be admired. But until people around them and the clubs give them back responsibility for their own lives, this tide of shame will continue to swamp English football.
THE VILLAGE IDIOTS XI
MICAH RICHARDS
The Man City defender filmed himself and a pal having sex with a teenage girl.
ASHLEY COLE
The Chelsea star cheated on wife Cheryl with hairdresser Aimee Walton.
BRADLEY WRIGHT-PHILLIPS
Striker kept lookout as pals looted barmaids' bags at a club.
GLEN JOHNSON
Portsmouth fullback was fined £80 for switching price on a toilet seat in B&Q.
TIM CAHILL
Everton player marked a goal with a show of solidarity for his jailed brother.
ASHLEY YOUNG
Aston Villa winger was caught pleasuring himself live on the internet.
ROBBIE FOWLER
The Liverpool star mimed sniffing drugs off a white line on the pitch during a game.
JOEY BARTON
He went to anger classes after stories he attacked a 15-year-old Everton fan.
CRAIG BELLAMY
Known as "Nutter with the Putter" after allegedly attacking a teammate with a golf club.
KIERON DYER
The Newcastle player was in a sex video, in Ayia Napa, that got on to the web.
MARK BOSNICH
Was banned from football for nine months after failing a drugs test in 2002.

Haha that is funny but I've noticed that you can't HELP but dig at English football on these forums yet complain when I do about Italian football. Pot calling the kettle black anyone? ;)

I'm not saying we dont have idiots, I'm only posting that for the humor- its not a dig! If there was an article with our idiots i'd post it too.

agreed , people in glass houses should not throw stones...[-X

JOEY BARTON
He went to anger classes after stories he attacked a 15-year-old Everton fan.

hardly likely he is everton mad!!

Last edited:
Because they are twats. I wish the professionals would sort it out, I really do.

Hotels with whores, taking bungs, playing without passion etc.

Wankers.

Whilst I agree that many professionals are just down right moronic... Drugs, booze, birds? Oh no.. what sins!!
Yes they are professionals and some would say they should set an examples, but for christs sake some need to get off their high horse... they are still young lads enjoying themselves at the end of the day and I'm sure many have done worse.

Would I turn down the chance to fuck a fit bird and film it?
Would I bollocks!

If I was a pro, I probably would have been chucked out of the league for some of the things I have done in Southend town centre and 3am in the morning :lol:

(BUT... I am not condoning exactly what some of these wankers do do in their spare time)

Ahh... Oliver Holt...

It is quite funny, though I don't really agree with a few of his Village Idiots XI because he should get a few facts straight.

On a main note, this man has a front anyway, being the most despicable and down right odious cunt that has ever been labelled a 'journalist'.

This is the same man that ghost wrote Totally Frank by Frank 'I walk about saying 'do you know who I am' and also fuck birds on holiday and film it' Lampard and Stan 'I go to public places to watch people having sex and then in my spare time, I beat women' Collymore's Autobiography.

I detest him.

Last edited:
The fact that he took Lampard as an example was bound to get you on your high horse steevio...
I have to admit that i totally agree with what the Holt guy writes (although not all his examples are that good, personally i thought the cocaine joke by Fowler quite funny...).

They ususally are twats, but the same goes for other "idols". One of my all-time heroes is jazz trompettist (the late) Miles Davis. I've read his biography, i still love his music, but boy was he an asshole...

Miles Davis was a genius. A summers night in the back-garden with the candles lit & a good whisky listening to "Bitches Brew" is just heaven. He was a heroin addict right Gerd? (sorry for off-topic)

The fact that he took Lampard as an example was bound to get you on your high horse steevio...
I have to admit that i totally agree with what the Holt guy writes (although not all his examples are that good, personally i thought the cocaine joke by Fowler quite funny...)

What the hell is you talking about?:SS:SS

I am complaining about OTHERS that are on their high horse and I am not on it at all as I have already said that I am one of many that behaves poorly, while others are writing as if they always act like they are some sort of Jesus.

Are you suggesting I am biased because of Lampard?
Does the valid point not make sense?

He complains about what these pros do, like having sex with women on holiday and filming it, yet ghost writes for someone like Lampard who has done the same and Collymore who has done worse.

The guy is a hypocritical fool.

I thought the piece was ok, but it's just ironic and pathetic that it came from his pen.

Hmm I agree with Milanista about English footballers.

The majority are twats and that is why I admire players like Scholes who just get on with football, they are not egotistical, they couldnt give a flying fuck about scratches on their cars, and they aren't the sort of players who walk into a restraunt a demand a table instantly because they are famous (Mcmanaman and countless other footballers)

Alot of our players coming throuhg have struggled at school, and at the age of 25 they still behave like wanabee gangsters

I think you forgot about Jermaine Pennant. Ledley King et CO getting legless after a game. Also, theres 3 Sunderland players embroliled in a sex tape scandal now to. Didn't Terry sleep with a 15 year old who said she was 16? In the back of his car near the training ground? Then theres the United Christmas party.....

Talented footballers by nature will always be confident, and alot of them honestly think they are something special. It just makes me laugh when players like Bradley Wright Phillips goes around claiming to be bigger than Jesus. Much of it is down to their celibrity status. And we really do need to put a cap on salaries. Maybe then we will filter out the idiots and see players who really have a passion for football.

We need educated, mature, grounded players coming through into proffesional football if we are to stand a chance at success in the future.

I really do despise some players in this country, but I'm not just singling out English players. Drogba, Totti etc. They really do not understand how lucky they are to be living out the dreams of millions. Personally I would play for Liverpool for a fiver eveyweek. Realistically I'd be happy to play for Liverpool on an average salary. 30k a year, rather than the same amount in 5 days.

Anyone who films themselves fucking a desperate slag who wants to make a name for themselves really needs help. And a group of them doing 1 girl is just quite frankly sickening and a little bit disturbing.

Last edited:
Well I agree with Holt then!

Basically I just despise arrogant pricks like Lampard and B Wright Phillips. They are thick, arrogant, passionless and greedy. And it erks me to see people like that living out my dream, and beleving they can get away with anything because they are famous and get paid millions for doing something that really pales in significance to the work of doctors, nurses, teachers and police.

Miles Davis was a genius. A summers night in the back-garden with the candles lit & a good whisky listening to "Bitches Brew" is just heaven. He was a heroin addict right Gerd? (sorry for off-topic)

agree, and this happens to all uneducated young atheltes, sometimes you just hope they grow up sooner then later.. they are all pampered from a young age.

Bitches Brew...not bad...

But there is better: AGARTHA (one 2 hour long funky jam) and of course his masterpiece: Kind of Blue (the best album ever IMHO).

And it could have been much better, when Jimie Hendrix died there were plans for an album with him, Miles and Gil Evans (check out both Monday Night Orchestra albums for Gil Evans)...

But yes most English football players are twats...but seriously, i wonder how i would have behaved if i would had all that attention when i was 18 years old...

Like a twat!

I'm joking. I think with the right support from you're family and from your own personality you can stay grounded, even with all the perks of being a young footballer.

Bitches Brew...not bad...

But there is better: AGARTHA (one 2 hour long funky jam) and of course his masterpiece: Kind of Blue (the best album ever IMHO).

And it could have been much better, when Jimie Hendrix died there were plans for an album with him, Miles and Gil Evans (check out both Monday Night Orchestra albums for Gil Evans)...

But yes most English football players are twats...but seriously, i wonder how i would have behaved if i would had all that attention when i was 18 years old...
yeah but kind of blue is jazz blues while bitches brew is avant garde fucking rock and roll... very different IMO, hmm Mike you should start a jazz thread

I agree Gerd, "My Kind Of Blue" is incredible. Reminds me of my dad, that's all he used to listen to.

Back on-topic: What about Scottish, Irish and Welsh footballers? Are they twats too?

Ashley Cole is a Clas A Twat for cheating on Cheryl Tweedy.

You would never leave the bedroom if you were married to her.

He's a bender, she's a fucking racist.

You think the marriage was real?! You think there was a 'blonde hairdresser'?:LOL:

Marriage of convenience to show he doesn't love the cock and she isn't a bigot.
Surprise, surprise the 'split up'.

Still it sells more copies of OK Magazine and Heat and gets them more publicity and money than they need,- the fucking media whores.

But on the point in question, why would you cheat on her?
I wouldn't... UNLESS she was a fucking idiot, in which case it don't matter how good your tits and arse is, if you are a drab, materialistic fuckwit with about as much charisma as pondlife, then you will lose my interest for sure.

He's a bender, she's a fucking racist

:SHOCK::SHOCK: she is racist??Do you have evidences About that??

ps:THE thing with "if you were young profesional players and famous/Rich ,wouldn't you do the same thing,"IS completly Bullshit!!!!this king of story you only heard them in UK ,it's just about the surrounding ,your family.
For instance here in France The likes oF Benzema 20 and Nasri 20 still live with their parents and you would never heard a story about them being drunk or making a sex video..

Back
Top Bottom