Eduardo's Horrific Injury -- Video Included

Do you think the tackle should be shown on TV?

• Yes

Votes: 59 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 26 30.6%

• Total voters

Nathan7

Premiership
23 July 2007
Pocklington, England
Celtic
Many people will not get to see it as TV broadcasters are claiming it's too horrific to show. However, French tv has shown it.

Comments and best wishes for Eduardo can be posted here.

I personally think that the tackle is sickening.

For those wishing to see the tackle here is the YouTube video.
http://www.index.hr/video/film.aspx?id=899

Pictures showing the injury:
2686518136-soccer-barclays-premier-.jpg

1963628uj6.jpg

Last edited:
You seriously don't want to have seen the video before dinner. It was really bad. It is quite obvious that MOTD aren't going to show it, though I wish they would because it shows people how not to tackle.

This Taylor guy must be suspended for at least the same amount of time Eduardo is going to be out for treating his injury... At least!

This Taylor guy must be suspended for at least the same amount of time Eduardo is going to be out for treating his injury... At least!

I agree with you. I believe Taylor didn't want to do that but he must pay for his fault. I also think Wenger exaggerated in his comments.

Why shouldn't they show it? They always show other people's injuries or tackles. It also lets ppl see how dangerous it can be to miss the ball and hit a player.

I said what i had to say in the Arsenal thread earlier so here it is:

It's bitterly dissapointing to see what happened to Eduardo, as much as I hate to say it there is no way his career is going to be the same again, his foot nearly fell off for crying out loud. Look at Cisse who snapped his leg 3 times, his leg is like a babies wrist right now, how could you ever commit fully to a challenge again without having some kind of thought in your head like "Ohhh maybe I shouldn't do this...". I just watched the video on you tube and almost vomited. Hard to say what to do with Taylor, I think given his clean track record (in my opinion anyways unless someone proves me wrong) we should give him the benefit of the doubt but he MUST surely come out publicly and admit his wrong doing, or give an explanation/apology.

Taylor should refuse to play for the rest of the year or until Eduardo is back. I sadly think this is career over for Eduardo.

Its absolutley horrifying and noone deserves an injury like this. If its a comminuted fracture, we can't even imagine how much damage it has done inside, and how much was to stand it.

This is the most active topic in every soccer-related forum today, no surprise. I have read several opinions so far, but some of them are tend to forget about Eduardo, and attack Taylor immediately. However, i think the most important thing in this case the full recovery of Eduardo, if it could ever happen, and after that maybe we can have some words about the penality, which obviously has to be done.
In other forums ppl talked about the tough italian defenders, that don't care about human health, and if brutality is the only thing they can use, they will. Maldini, Materazzi, for example, but don't forget about Roy Keane, they wasn't penalized (or at least no tas much as they deserved it). and there are similar cases, but this open fault is obviously the most spectacular :|

if cause an injury like this on the street, you'll be sent to prison...

and back to Eduardo... i just can't imagine how i would feel (and i'm not considering the physical pain) if someone would distort my body, as a civilian. what right do they have to do this?! as a footballer i would say, they took my most important "part" away.

an injury like this would prevent many people even from walking again. and if he can play again his beloved game, the game that means him very much, possibly everything, possibly his life, is more than questionable.

Its not exactly connected to this, but when Michael Schumacher broke both his legs in 1999, and okay, it wasn't so serious, and the recovery didn't take so much time as Eduardos probably will, but he had the power to return, and after that won 5 championships in a row. And of course we can say that the 2 sports don't require similar physical nature, but sportsmen are mor trained than an average everyday man. And thats why i really hope, that he can and he will fully recover.

I would like to wish him to recover and to be happy again after all these.

My prayers are with Eduardo. The guy is a class act and the football world will only lose out if he doesn't bounce back.

He is a great player with lots of potential, and at 24 has almost all his career ahead of him - I hope he recovers, but sadly I don't see it. It's a huge blow for Arsenal, a huge blow for Croatia and a huge blow for football in general.

All the best to Eduardo, I fear the worst for him and his career. Horrible day for him and for football.

Saying that, I'm sure Taylor didn't mean to do it and honestly I hope he's not victimised by the press (or by anyone for that matter). It was a poor tackle but you see poor tackles every week, it's just very very unfortunate that this week it's done a horrible amount of damage. After the tackle he knelt down next to Eduardo but couldn't say anything - what can you say when you've just done that to someone? But if he meant to do it you can bet he would have had a different expression on his face and given an entirely different reaction. He looked as sick as the Arsenal players.

In response to the thread starter, it was interesting to see that MotD did actually show the replay. I didn't particularly want to see it, I was fucking horrified in truth. Whether it was a good or a bad thing I don't know, it's after 9pm so I don't see why it shouldn't be shown when it's a real life incident with such importance to the world of football and to this amazingly talented young man, but saying that I wasn't particularly happy to see it.

Ret Kit: It really wasn't a dirty challenge though. You see them week-in, week-out all over the world. I do feel for Taylor; he really didn't mean it. :)

what i don't understand is why did he have to go into the ball that hard, Roy Keane done the same thing and im sure the intentions on this were similar , you have less then %5 chance of getting the ball with that kind of harsh tackle and %95 of injuring the player so i don't really buy the "Taylor didn't mean to hurt him" ordeal....

Why are you sure he didn' t mean? It seems to me the classical tackle you do when you want to damage the other player. When you stamp your shoe sole in the middle of the opponent leg you want to hurt him. I can remember Hamann suffered a similar tackle some years ago in a champions league match but his leg was not damaged seriously.
I' m sure Busst injury, both Cisse's and Larsson's ones were unintetional but today watching the video anche the pictures i can't say Taylor didn' t mean to do it.
Best wishes to Eduardo, i hope to see him again on the pitch.

So you all think that Matt Taylor lunged in with the tackle thinking "I probably won't get the ball but I hope I break his leg and maybe end his career!"?

I don't think so. Everyone is looking for someone to blame here. What happened was fucking terrible and I my thoughts go out to Eduardo but that's as far as this matter goes. Stop trying to make Taylor look evil, EVEN WENGER has retracted his statement admitting he went over the top.

I think your going over the top, the lad did NOT mean to do it at all. As Mcleish said Eduardo was too quick for him and got caught. Its not like when Gallas decided to kick Nani off the ball and the FA Deemed that it WASNT violent conduct which it blatantly is!

Why are you sure he didn' t mean? It seems to me the classical tackle you do when you want to damage the other player. When you stamp your shoe sole in the middle of the opponent leg you want to hurt him. I can remember Hamann suffered a similar tackle some years ago in a champions league match but his leg was not damaged seriously.
I' m sure Busst injury, both Cisse's and Larsson's ones were unintetional but today watching the video anche the pictures i can't say Taylor didn' t mean to do it.
Best wishes to Eduardo, i hope to see him again on the pitch.

that's what i've said, read it carefully :THINK:

p.s im sure no player mean to break someone's leg but in pro level imo they should have the ability to seperate clean tackle from an complete harsh tackle which is going to result in something like that.

Last edited:
No you only think to hurt the opponent...did you ever play football and did you ever think to damage an opponent you hated at the moment? I thought about it several times, but i never did it, but i know the best way to damage an opponent is to do a tackle with my foot in the middle of his leg. If you do it when the opponent weight is entirely on that foot you can do a great damage. And if you are a giant like Taylor....well.
I don' t think Taylor wanted to almost amputate his leg, i only think he wanted to do a bad tackle but he unfortunately went far beyond his expectations. Just like when you want to punch a person and then he falls on the ground smashing his head against something and dies. You didn' t mean to kill him but you did it all the same even if the consequences went far beyond your itention. I don' t know if there is a word in english, in italian it is "preterintenzionale" that means the consequences of your bad act are more severe of your intention.
That' s what i think about Taylor tackle seeing the images but i can be wrong.

Last edited:
I think your going over the top, the lad did NOT mean to do it at all. As Mcleish said Eduardo was too quick for him and got caught. Its not like when Gallas decided to kick Nani off the ball and the FA Deemed that it WASNT violent conduct which it blatantly is!

Get over Gallas mate - it was a small kick to the ankles - nothing like this!

This is completely different.

The guy meant to do a hard reckless challenge - people do them all the time. But if you have the balls to do them - you have to have the balls to live with the consequences.

He needs to pay for what he did - pure and simple.

that's what i've said, read it carefully :THINK:

Yes but i agree with you infact. You can never be sure to break the opponent leg, or break his knee ligament. All you do is having the will to do a bad tackle and you know that you are going to do something dangerous even if you can't say exactly what. I suffered a similar injury when an opponet gave me a really hard charge when i was kicking so i put my foot back on the ground in an akward way with all my weight on the leg and i said goodbye to my anterior cruciate ligament. I' m sure my opponent didn' t want to tear my ACL, you can' t calculate a thing like this, but i' m sure he wanted to do me something bad because there is no other explanation for a really hard charge on the opponent shoulder when he has just kicked the ball.

Back
Top Bottom