Defending

Hally

Non-League
23 April 2002
Cornwall
Middlesbrough
Great game so far somebody please give me some tips on defending! I can't for the life of me defend at the minute no matter what button I try whether it's pressure, pressure com or this r2 hold off. Any quick tips? Cheers

I posted this in in the main thread a while a go:

I have no problems with defending now that I know the system better that Konami have changed. It wasn't that I didn't know how to defend, I actually didn't realize how good the defensive AI was, and was trying to override it with my own philosophy. Instead you combine your own philosophy with the new AI-based one, then you see what its all about.

As I mentioned, X is no longer a tackle button, it is used to force pressure, but I hardly use it! You can manually control the pressure simply with the left stick, you focus on the positioning, covering spaces, deciding when to double up and deciding when to hold or rush in, and the AI calculates when to stick its leg out depending on the defence stat, and incorporating other elements such as momentum, inertia, body balance, current speed, ball physics etc.

In the final 3rd when defending, especially on the edge of the box, in the box and on the wing near the box I use the R2+X delay function to positioning a defender's body more firmly, anticipating shots, crosses or through balls. Occasionally releasing R2+X and moving towards the player to make a last ditch tackle but only when you absolutely have to, as the AI can calculate when to block according to the stats I mentioned above.

Last edited:

I have no problems with defending now that I know the system better that Konami have changed. It wasn't that I didn't know how to defend, I actually didn't realize how good the defensive AI was, and was trying to override it with my own philosophy. Instead you combine your own philosophy with the new AI-based one, then you see what its all about.

As I mentioned, X is no longer a tackle button, it is used to force pressure, but I hardly use it! You can manually control the pressure simply with the left stick, you focus on the positioning, covering spaces, deciding when to double up and deciding when to hold or rush in, and the AI calculates when to stick its leg out depending on the defence stat, and incorporating other elements such as momentum, inertia, body balance, current speed, ball physics etc.

In the final 3rd when defending, especially on the edge of the box, in the box and on the wing near the box I use the R2+X delay function to positioning a defender's body more firmly, anticipating shots, crosses or through balls. Occasionally releasing R2+X and moving towards the player to make a last ditch tackle but only when you absolutely have to, as the AI can calculate when to block according to the stats I mentioned above.

Thank you for these tips. You have helped me imensley:WORSHIP: I'm having the best time playing PES 2012:WORSHIP:

Top advice, thank you, I didn't realise there had been such a drastic change to the way we defend. I love the idea of putting a lot more thought into defending.

I've always played on top player but I've been conceding goals left, right and centre. Looking forward to putting this into practice.

Cheers!

Cheers again!

Using sliding tackles is also useful. The key to a good sliding tackle is choosing the correct time and position to do a slide. Do not tackle from behind or from the side of the opponent players. Try to tackle from the front or you can tackle from the side only if you aim at the ball. Occasionally you will get some yellow cards if your sliding tackle was not done precisely, so practicing is important.
I found sliding tackles to be really useful against the CPU on Super Star difficulty. The CPU players could no longer dribble past all of my players anymore. I use a combination of sliding tackles and normal defending tackles using the x and R2 buttons.

I should of read this before I started playing haha, great tips!!!
I'm impenitent so I normally charge the ball! That has conceded me soooooo many goals!

Its all about being patient and waiting for your opponent to make a mistake, really has added another dimension to the gameplay when you get used to it!

What's with the R2 button I've not used that at all?????

Don't go diving in a reckless way otherwise you'll get just burned. What I found very useful is holding them up using R2 and X, then call in a second player using SQUARE. The second player will help you out. It's a good way to win possession back.

How are people defending the wings? A common tactic I see online is to pass back then boot the ball out to the wingers. This always catches my defense off-guard, as they are still moving forward while the ball sails past them.

Also, I'm interested in the best preset tactics configurations for defending these situations?

Any tips?

Also, what about free-kicks? I just has Ronaldo score against me from a 35m free kick - direct to the top corner. It seems impossible to defend against.

Even closer frees can be curled over the wall. Even if there is a defender on the line he does nothing.

Also, what about free-kicks? I just has Ronaldo score against me from a 35m free kick - direct to the top corner. It seems impossible to defend against.

Even closer frees can be curled over the wall. Even if there is a defender on the line he does nothing.

1. Select your goalkeeper with L1 + R3.
2. Move him more towards the centre of the goal. (Use radar to help if you cannot see your GK)
3. De-select goalkeeper with L1 + R3 before kick is taken.
4. Watch as your goalkeeper saves a lot more freekicks.
5. Spread the word. Seems a lot of people don't know this and are getting unnecessarily annoyed at conceding so many freekicks. There was a match in which I would have normally conceded 3 or 4 CPU freekicks but with this method my keeper saved them all.

1. Select your goalkeeper with L1 + R3.
2. Move him more towards the centre of the goal. (Use radar to help if you cannot see your GK)
3. De-select goalkeeper with L1 + R3 before kick is taken.
4. Watch as your goalkeeper saves a lot more freekicks.
5. Spread the word. Seems a lot of people don't know this and are getting unnecessarily annoyed at conceding so many freekicks. There was a match in which I would have normally conceded 3 or 4 CPU freekicks but with this method my keeper saved them all.

Great tip. Thanks will give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom