Dead Space

Re: Dead Space Xbox 360, PS3 and PC ?

Played through some more of this last night - VERY good - so atmospheric and creepy as hell (played through headphones)... love all the space station noises, the groaning of electricity, bits of metal falling around, scraping noises etc - very cool.

The gameplay is good and I'm well into the story...

If you like these FPS/Horror suspense type games check out F.E.A.R. also on the PS3/360/PC. It's a few years old now but still has that 'magic'. I picked up a copy for £6 from my local Gamestation.

Last edited:

The AI is pretty clever in this. I hid in a room to avoid getting surrounded by creatures.... so one of the creatures crawled into a vent and bloody popped up right behind me in the room!!!!

The AI is pretty clever in this. I hid in a room to avoid getting surrounded by creatures.... so one of the creatures crawled into a vent and bloody popped up right behind me in the room!!!!
:LOL: I have to admit, that's brilliant.

Too many games out this month and next month, I cracked and got Far Cry 2 yesterday because it looks "a bit like the 24 movie coming out in November". I wanted to get Fable II as well but thankfully I was a tenner short.

Anyone reach chapter 6?

I just beat that giant anus but now ive got no cash and no ammo AT ALL. So I'm getting murdered wherever I go... I'm playing on hard btw.

I'm exactly at the same point. But I stop there 2 weeks ago. I'll try to complete the same over the weekend.

Yes, they tend to follow you and device ways to get to where you are. One thing I would recommend is to never stand near or in front of those wall vents or you will pay for it dearly.

The screams and screetches of this creatures are damn right disturbing. I usually have my surround sound pretty high with lights off when playing this game. Trouble is, my neighbor kept banging on the wall to turn it down and so I have to pick the right time in the day to play this game with high volume to get the best out of it and finish it.

Interesting thing is, you know that you will run into this creatures eventually and sometimes they will just pop out of the most unexpected places to force a diaper change on you, however although you know this, they somehow still manage to scare the crap out of you and make you jump all the way up to the ceiling.

One of the most disturbing things I see from time to time is when you see a Necromorph drop down from the ceiling unexpectedly a few feet away from you, and then suddenly it begins to awkwardly sprint towards you while making that high pitch screetch sound with it's arms/tenticles flailing about in the air.

It's a very disturbing scene to behold...

Reminds me of The Exorcist "spider Walk" scene.

Last edited:

Its not bad at all Dags - very atmospheric.

I did sell it though (to raise funds for other games) and if money was no object, I would have kept it. It just got a bit repetitive for me, with the creatures all being the same more or less.

Worth at least a rental.

This sounds pretty awesome :D

If you start the game on hard right from the beginning, I think you might shit yourself and be actually scared to play the game. Like jflores says.. when they jump from above, you panic to react... on hard, one falls so you focus on it, but you don't usually notice the 2 or 3 others that have fallen behind you.

I think the jumpiest bits are when you open those crates and some little slimy shit jumps out at you.

System Shock 2 scared me so much that I couldn't play the game :(

If you start the game on hard right from the beginning, I think you might shit yourself and be actually scared to play the game. Like jflores says.. when they jump from above, you panic to react... on hard, one falls so you focus on it, but you don't usually notice the 2 or 3 others that have fallen behind you.

I think the jumpiest bits are when you open those crates and some little slimy shit jumps out at you.

And "Hard" is exactly how I like to play my games in for realism.

I finally finished the game on hard. I had a week delay due to my 360 being sent and returned. It took me a total of about 11 hours, and I must say I loved it. One of the first few 360 games where I feel satisfied. The atmosphere was superb, and the AI was very very challenging. Some boss battles were incredibly hard and I was actually feeling quite afraid to redo them if I died. I also got a bit scared to the play the game for longer than an hour. Only thing I found annoying was that It was nearly impossible to ever have enough cash! I only managed to get up to a level 3 suit! Might be because I'm playing on hard.

I enjoyed the ending......
Anyone jump when that thing leaps on you???

Last edited:

I finally finished the game on hard. I had a week delay due to my 360 being sent and returned. It took me a total of about 11 hours, and I must say I loved it. One of the first few 360 games where I feel satisfied. The atmosphere was superb, and the AI was very very challenging. Some boss battles were incredibly hard and I was actually feeling quite afraid to redo them if I died. I also got a bit scared to the play the game for longer than an hour. Only thing I found annoying was that It was nearly impossible to ever have enough cash! I only managed to get up to a level 3 suit! Might be because I'm playing on hard.

Congrats man! I'm almost there but with so many games that I have to complete, I'm moving at a snail's pace. This is one great game though. Love the sound effects, graphics and atmosphere.

Fucking stupid game. Played 16 mins and nearly shit my pants twice already :(

For anyone interested, they've got this in ASDA for £19 picked up a few cheap games from there in the last couple of weeks.Saints Row 2 for £15, Uncharted for £18 and the new Silent Hill for £27.

I [picked this up today from Gamestation with a credit note for £19. I wasn't at all keen on the demo but they were sold out of the Mega Drive collection and I wanted something that would last me until the Legends of Wrestlemania game.

I think you made a good choice there, Rad. Just wear an extra pair of boxers :LOL:

I've only played an hour and jumped out of my skin a good few times.

The sound and music is brilliantly done, the presentation is great too. I thought I'd hate the third-person view but it's quite good actually with me preferring it to first-person.

Good to see you guys are liking it. I really enjoyed it, and think the AI is very clever in this.

I've finished chapter 2 now and I'm ... well I have no idea how far into - but I'm into chapter 3 now somewhere.

Shat myself in chapter 1 after moving a broken tram. I stood there like an idiot watching this thing get moved around, then i turned around to run off and standing RIGHT BEHIND ME not moving at all (which made it worse somehow) was thing freaky shit. I had to scrape myself down off the ceiling!

And then shortly after that I was walking down a corridor, saw some dead bodies ahead of me and you guess it... they got up just as I got close so now the ceiling needs a repainting lol.

I don't think I've jumped at any other times. There have been a lot of freaky moments.

I won't type any spoilers but I heard a noise, like someone banging their foot on a steel floor. Well I eventually found what was making the noise...

Then I spotted a woman cutting up some dead guy, 'Great' I thought 'a survivor'. Well...
-

I really like the story though so far - it's got the same eerie feeling as Event Horizon mixed in with a little of Aliens and a little bit of Silent Hill. I love as well that without them going out of their way to say 'Hey we're in the middle of no where and we're fucked' you really feel like you are.

For anyone interested, they've got this in ASDA for £19 picked up a few cheap games from there in the last couple of weeks.Saints Row 2 for £15, Uncharted for £18 and the new Silent Hill for £27.

Dead Space is only £17.99 delivered at Play.com

£13.99 used.

I finished it last night and yes at the end, I did.

I thought the storyline was great and I should have seen the twists and turns coming a mile off but I didn't.

One question - that foreign scientist who torments you behind glass
and unleashes that regenerating monster onto you. What happened to him?

The last I saw of him was he was mumbling on about God and then let one of the monsters grab him (those that turn dead bodies into monsters). I walked out of the room I was in and saw one of those monsters on some body so i just shot the crap out of them both and walked off expecting to run into the scientist somewhere down the line. But I never did. Was that body him outside of the door
?

I didn't quite understand the storyline at the end But I found these on gamefaqs.

The Marker was reverse engineered from a "real" marker found on earth (though they don't go into detail on this one). The second marker was placed on Aegis 7 and it sealed away the Hivemind which controlled the Necromorphs (again why it was placed on this planet and how the Earthlings knew about the Necromorphs at all doesn't make sense).

So some time later the crew of the Ishimura illegally mined Aegis 7 found the marker and removed it from the planet, which released the Hivemind and it had the Necromorphs attack the colony and one of the colonists escaped on a shuttle onto the Ishimura hoping they could save his wife who had gone crazy and cut open her own throat (this was shown in Dead Space Downfall). Little did he know an Infector snuck onto the shuttle and infected the wife. After the shuttle makes it onto the Ishimura the pilot is killed by his Necromorphed wife, infected by the Infector, and the rest is history.

The Marker creates illusions of the dead to try and return to the planet. Isaac sees his ex-girlfriend, Kendra sees her brother, and Doctor Kyne sees his wife. Kendra reveals she knows all about the Marker and the Necs and for some reason is trying to keep the Marker off Aegis 7, though if it was explained why I missed it. The Marker used the illusion of Nicole to use Isaac to return it to the planet. Isaac successfully returns the marker and kills the Hivemind. He escapes the planet and is attacked by a supposedly Necromorphed Nicole.

Now that much is all explained in the game and anime movie. What I didn't understand was Kendra's reason for wanting to keep the Marker off the planet, since she clearly knew that it kept the Necromorphs in check. My theory is she was a Unitologist who believed what a lot of them believed that being killed by the Necromorphs allowed humans to be "reborn" as something greater and she was trying to bring the Necromorphs to Earth so that everyone could be reborn. But I'm still not sure whether the Necromorphed Nicole that attacked Isaac at the end was real or an illusion (though if it was an illusion then it would be unlikely it was made by the Marker).

-

EDIT
I asked the girlfriend of she'd trade in Dead space at Gamestations while she was in town today. She originally bought it for me on Monday with my credit note of £65 as she was in town then as well. Well she went in and as she put the box on the counter the guy said 'I take it you weren't keen?'. Before she could explain that I'd finished it he said; 'I can't refund you in cash as you paid with a credit note, so are you happy with a credit note for what you paid or would you like to use the price off another game'

So I now have the £19.99 back as a credit note!

Whooo!

Last edited:

I finally got round to playing this; it's been in storage since January. Completed this last Friday all I can say is what a great game, I really enjoyed it from start to finish, and it was possibly the scariest game I've ever played, even after playing FEAR 2. I went through it again to pick up as many trophies as I could be bothered to, which of course entails buying all the guns, putting 25 items in the safe etc. WHY OH WHY DID I NOT PICK UP THE FORCE GUN!? Here's me struggling through with the Plasma Cutter, Pulse Gun, Line Gun and Ripper when I could have blasted my way through hordes with the Force Gun. Oh well, lesson learned there.

@Rad -
The doctor was killed by one of his own creations. He says something about "I'm staring into the face of God" when he's surrounded by his own creatures, then one of his then rips him to bits.

Is there room for another Dead Space? I hope so.

I want to play it but I'm rubbish with games that make you jump and I've been close to shitting my pants everytime I've played this :CRY:

:LOL: I must admit it is scary. You do get used to it though the more you play it, just watch out for those roof tiles and always have your gun ready for action when you enter each room. Brilliant game though, really well made and has an excellent story.

They're making a prequel for the Wii which is a on rails shooter style of game i think.

About that doc MJ. That's what I thought happened but I was expecting some kind of boss or something to happen after, not just that and then carry on as usual.

Back
Top Bottom