Dead Space

embraceuk1

Original Member Since 2001
30 December 2001
Indiana USA (Scottish)
Nottingham Forest
Latest Game covered by Gameinformer as ussual will give you the details when they arrive. Note System Shock 3 is mentioned :).

dead-space-cover.jpg

He may look like a Big Daddy reject, but this Lil' Papi is the newest face in EA's reinvention line, a steady stream of fresh IPs aimed to counteract the perception of safe-bet mega-publisher. Dead Space, making its first appearance on the cover of Game Informer, was named a year ago (as a FPS) by analyst P. J. McNealey, who identified the then announced project as an Unreal Engine 3-powered action game. The Game Informer hook upgrades that status to "survival horror game," but does not confirm the first-person perspective or Unreal guts. Instead, GI just begs us to buy the issue teases: "Fans of the cult-classic film Event Horizon and straight-up horror aficionados aren't going to want to miss this one!"

Dead Space, being developed by a "renegade" team at EA, sounds a lot like what we'd expect out of the rumored System Shock 3. Is there a connection to be made? And more importantly, can one man cut through the darkness?

Re: Dead Space Xbox 360, PS3 and PC ?

Exclusive Dead Space Preview - September 23, 2007
Courtesy of Game Informer (Online), and my Unlimited account, I have access to a nice selection of screens for an upcoming EA Shooter/Survival Horror title on the horizon, called "Dead Space". Defintely a game worth keeping an eye out for. The premise is simple, and yet refreshing at the same time. Space + Aliens; following closely on the heels of such games as System Shock, and films such as Event Horizon.

Tthe main character's name is Isaac Clarke. He's no warrior. No Marine. No Bounty Hunter. Just your average everyday space engineer, caught up in the wrong place, at the wrong time. All he wanst to do is avoid being the next meal for the Necromorphs, and alien race that has seized the large mining ship he has been asked to repair, occupying the bodies of the crew. Slated to hit Xbox 360's and PS3's fourth quarter 2008, this game looks like it won't disappoint.

Scans:
34209wu7.jpg

34201vx0.jpg

34202re1.jpg

34203hb3.jpg

34204uj6.jpg

34206wv6.jpg

34207vg6.jpg

34205hc1.jpg

34208sg9.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

Dead Space to haunt players this Halloween

Electronic Arts has finalized an appropriate release date for its upcoming survival horror title Dead Space, announcing that the game will keep players in both North America and Europe oxygen-deprived starting this Halloween, October 31. If there was ever a reason for cosplayers to pore over the Sears catalog for toasters to affix to their heads this haunting season, this game is it.

The game is currently in development for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and promises a "chilling, claustrophobic feeling of being isolated in a dark environment." EA also notes that Dead Space will force players to face down alien horrors not as a hulking superman but rather as a lowly engineer, though if history has taught us one thing, it's to not underestimate the little guy.

Aliens - guns - blood - yawn.

How many times are developers going to make these types of game?

Dead Space?

Whats the thoughts on this? Heard good things about it, but dont really know what its about.

Went to trade my spare PES (£20) and FIFA09 (£18) and had Saints Row 2 in my hands (£34) - but I got cold feet as I'm sure I'll either get bored of it or not find time to play it. Saw Dead Space and thought I'd come back and research that a bit more.

Any ideas people?

EDIT...

Wow, just checked gamefaqs.com and the review section is full of 9s and 10s. Nothing below a 9!

Re: Dead Space?

I totally love it! If you like Resident Evil 4, System Shock, Silent Hill and the movies Sunshine and Event Horizon, it's definitely a Must-Have! The whole atmosphere, especially the 5.1 sound, is amazing!

Last edited:

Not a massive fan of RE4 TBH and I now understand its pretty similar (in its mechanics).

Hmmm... does look good though and something a bit different.

Together with Surround Sound this game is freeeeeeaky!!!

My daughter wanted to watch the first couple of minutes of the game. She said she was very brave and wouldn't let a game scare her. Well, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. As I started the game and came upon the part where the first necromorph begins to chase me, I ran into the elevator, hit the switch, door closes, huge releif set in as I managed to escape this beast. And then, suddenly and unexpectedly with a loud bang and howl, this Necromorph thing reappears as he pushes both doors of the elevator apart just enough to stick half his body in. As I am standing there nearly wetting my pants and screaming in despair shaking my controller and trying to gain full composure in front of my daughter, I then began to realize that my labor was in vein as I moved around the elevator helplessly with no where to run. I remember standing there helplessly watching the Necromorph howl as he was fighting his way towards me and thinking to myself; "Is this how it's gonna end? Will I not survive my very first encounter with this beast? could it be? How pethetic.."

Thankfully, as the beast howled and his claws stretched to practically inches from my face, it's strengh was not enough for the elevator doors which slammed themselves against the beast crushing it in half right in front of me as it's head rolled to my feet. Boy was I glad.

I was so thankful and then realized how action packed and full of adrenaline that moment was. Heck, I was practically still shaking and heavy breathing as I was making my way up the elevator with Isaac. That one scene really blew my socks off and caught me and my daughter completely off guard. It was loud, it was eerie, it was freaky and it was disturbing. And it set the tone for what I was getting myself into.

After I gained my composure, I turned to face my daughter to see how she was doing only to find that she wasn't there. My poor 12 year old daughter had damn near wetted her pants and had run all the way upstairs immediately after that one scene. I didn't blame her. She said that she still hears that loud high pitch howling screech from that thing in her head.

This game is awesome, yes it does have some naggy issues, but overall the game offers exactly what a horror game should. It has at least, thusfar accomplished that with me.

I totally love it! If you like Resident Evil 4, System Shock, Silent Hill and the movies Sunshine and Event Horizon, it's definitely a Must-Have! The whole atmosphere, especially the 5.1 sound, is amazing!

I love it too. I completed the 2 1st chapters. It's really addictive.

I'm pretty sure there's no major difference. On videos it looks exactly the same.
If you want to buy it, it will only depend on the pad you want to use ;).

I've only just got this game....it is really good it really does pull you in and you know when a game is good when you find it hard to come off it! I get that with this game, I got that with Crysis and I get that with PES/Fifa....didn't get that with Far Cry 2.....

Anyway it is an atmospheric game Dead Space and very immersive from the moment it boots up.

Graphics are like oh my god at times, seriously that opening cut scene where you land on the Ishimura in outer space the graphics are like wow! very artistic and pleasing.

The only negative I have found so far is that anti aliasing isn't very good and it doesn't seem possible to force it either which is a bummer but it's a really good game though! Highly recommended.

Only had a brief play on it last night - the opening scene & bit where the necromorph chases you into the lift & the game looks very good - visually and soundwise - it looks top class.

Played the first level so far and really like it. Needs more weapons, but I'm liking it.

Just got this and think its a lot better than Bioshock (which I find very overrated, not amazing graphics and very repetitive... but good story). I started the game on hard and am already finding it tough. I think the game looks lovely and the dialogue is done quite well (synced with gfx). The atmosphere is also very good and scary, especially since it can be pitch black at times.

I wouldn't compare Bioshock to Dead Space, to me they're different games. I would never play a game like Quake or Dead Space, sick to death of the idea of aliens and monsters and all that no matter how good the game (just like I wouldn't play another WWII game again, well not the single-player game anyway). Bioshock was about humans fiddling with the genome which is actually believable.

I wouldn't compare Bioshock to Dead Space, to me they're different games. I would never play a game like Quake or Dead Space, sick to death of the idea of aliens and monsters and all that no matter how good the game (just like I wouldn't play another WWII game again, well not the single-player game anyway). Bioshock was about humans fiddling with the genome which is actually believable.

Usually I'd agree with you about humans shooting humans... but the scare factor is there. The atmosphere is what I really enjoy most about the game.

Back
Top Bottom