David Beckham joins LA Galaxy

Beckham 'could make Galaxy great'

Beckham has signed one of the biggest deals in sporting history
Boss Alexi Lalas believes the signing of ex-England captain David Beckham in August could help to make LA Galaxy the world's biggest football club.

Hes a true american.

Beckham 'could make Galaxy great'

Beckham has signed one of the biggest deals in sporting history
Boss Alexi Lalas believes the signing of ex-England captain David Beckham in August could help to make LA Galaxy the world's biggest football club.

Hes a true american.

on a serious note where do they show there matches besides 2 a.m. in the morning only infomercial of excercise machines and blenders are shown at that time...if football in america is going to be big show matches on the tube

No it wont, it will for the Galaxy for maybe a season but they cant show them on tv every week even tho they will want too now.

Plus each team only plays them at home once but half way through the season ppl will be bored by the thought of seeing him play hes no pele or ruiz when it comes to ball play or scoring.
they just signend a new deal with espn, abc, espn2 and FOX soccer channel to broadcast almost every match. This was before the becks deal. If a ton of people go to matches to see becks, there were be a % of those same people who fall in love with going to a local match, and not having to break the bank to do so(as in NFL, NBA, and NHL). I freeley admit i did not attend alot of DC United games before Adu. Since the hype i have been a season ticket holder for 3 years now. Adu was traded and I dont care, I love DC United and Im going to keep going for many years. Not all of the fans that go to see becks will come back after he is gone, but it create some new fans who will continue to go. The more I think about this the more i think it can only help soccer/football grow in the states. And MLS is not trying to compete with NFL at all.

Beckham wont help soccer in america.
The fact that more kids play soccer in america than most countries but when they reach the age of 12 theres nothing for them apart from a few states.

The fact that more kids play soccer in america than most countries

mate, that's obvious, u're 250 millions people :D I'm italian and i can tell u that i know just 2 men who never played soccer....... just 2 person (and i guess the same happens in england and spain). But even if all the italians boys.... and girls would have played football in their lives, well probably they still would be less than the american ones. :D

mate, that's obvious, u're 250 millions people :D I'm italian and i can tell u that i know just 2 men who never played soccer....... just 2 person (and i guess the same happens in england and spain). But even if all the italians boys.... and girls would have played football in their lives, well probably they still would be less than the american ones. :D

Thats the point tho there are millions more kids in america than most countries who play soccer and if they got it sorted out and throw money at it they would deffinitely be a true world force like they are in most sports they throw money at but right now its a mess.

sorry mate, i didn't understand what u meant to say :p . no need to say i agree with u (your statement is quite undebeatable).

actually i think this is what is going to happen (sooner or later). I mean, with globalization, media coverage, the fact that football is the simplest sport to play (u just need a ball), football gained great popularity in the last 50 years and the quality of football in europe is quite balanced now. in the last 20 years even african football improved a lot. Now it's america's turn.

btw i don't think money are so important. as i told, football is a very poor sport. there's no need of a special equipment to play it....... and probably the world best football schools for kids are the brazilian beaches :D

I swear I know no walking-ability-having-male in morocco who have never played soccer . in every city you'll find people playing in the streets with the 35 cents ball (will you find cheaper ? :lol: ) and stop the ball only to let cars pass .

Last edited:
Hey csaunders, how comes MLS teams don't participate in the south American champions league competitions (can't remember whats the proper name for it)? Is it because there not considered south American teams (which probably might be likely...not sure)?

Last edited:
Hey csaunders, how comes MLS teams don't participate in the south American champions league competitions (can't remember whats the proper name for it)? Is it because there not considered south American teams (which probably might be likely...not sure)?
I beleive we can qualify for the copa sudamerica( i think), but i dont think we have been able to yet. I could be wrong, i would have to research. The reason we dont do well in these competitions and the qualfying ones to get in, is that they take place in our off-season. And to be honest right now the mexican leagues top teams are better then ours, especially when they play at home. DC United has won an international tournament consisting of North and South American team. But it was not the south american champions league.

Beckham wont help soccer in america.
The fact that more kids play soccer in america than most countries but when they reach the age of 12 theres nothing for them apart from a few states.
your basing this on what? Im not sure what your talking about. "Nothing for them" What do you mean?

I beleive we can qualify for the copa sudamerica( i think), but i dont think we have been able to yet. I could be wrong, i would have to research. The reason we dont do well in these competitions and the qualfying ones to get in, is that they take place in our off-season. And to be honest right now the mexican leagues top teams are better then ours, especially when they play at home. DC United has won an international tournament consisting of North and South American team. But it was not the south american champions league.
Okay, thanks for the info csaunders.

I seriously think that in retrospect this can prove to be one of the best things that ever happened to football.
Stop being patronizing and looking down on USA football.
This can have the same effect as Pele going to New York Cosmos. Other players like Chinaglia, Krol, Beckenbauer, Muller and Cruijff followed him.
By now the USA have learned from the mistakes they made in the 70's.
Every big sports needs to be popular in the USA. They way the Americans run their sports should be an example for football I've said this countless times: there is no fair competition in football. There is fair competition in USA sports (salary cap, draft,...).
Beckham is not as good a player as Pele (nobody is, nobody was and nobody ever will be), but he has much more worldwide appeal than Pele.
In 10 years football will be thankfull to Beckham and just face it real Madrid is a shite team...

WELL SAID THAT MAN...HMMM PEOPLE HAVE SUCH SHORT MEMORIES ESPECIALLY THE ENGLISH!

Don't you think that it will just attract players at the end of their career though? A bit like Qatar.
I can only see it getting big if they join in the big South American cup competitions.

when you have a star in your team it makes every one give his best not only the team mates but also the opponement . other good point , it will make more people watch the mls . people are already asking for kits no doubt lot of people will want to watch the games as well .
no doubt with their money and the growing interest , the mls will grow better just as the j-league who was very weak 10 years ago .
they are also taking coaches from europe and that's an important step to make the tactical with europe smaller as africa did and continue doing .
as a football fan I'm delighted with the grow this sport's level is having around the world :)

Don't you think that it will just attract players at the end of their career though? A bit like Qatar.
I can only see it getting big if they join in the big South American cup competitions.

we do, DC United competed in the Copa Sudamerica last year, and I beleive we also can enter in that tourney this year, cant remember.. This year MLS and the Mexican league have created the Superliga, which Will consist of the top two MLS clubs vs the Top two Mexican teams, which i think will gain an automatic spot in the copa sudamerica.. we have to qualify now..

MLS has been around for ten years, the league has seen players from Matteus to know becks... we are just recently actually signing young talent from south america... its alot easier for them to get a work permit to play here then in many parts of europe(especially england). So I would expect us to sign alot more young talent from south american and central america.

p.s.
For all of you who said this would bankrupt MLS, many sources are reoporting that MLS and AEG(the company that owns LA), have already profited more then the $250 million... through season tickets, cross brand advertising with becks, tv deals, and other dealings....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom