David Beckham joins LA Galaxy

so salary wise he's definitly not going to make the $8.1 million annual that he was making at Real...
I heard that it actually breaks down as $10,000,000 in wages. The rest is endorsements and shares in profits from LA Galaxy etc.

csaunders, I'm trying not to blatantly put a downer on the MLS like bebo did. However I stand by what I said. I know its hard to believe but Beckham is not a stupid man. He sees that America is yet to capitalize on soccer like the rest of the world. He is now trying to exploit this fact with the soccer schools etc. Sure he is a nice guy and its something he is passionate about. But be sure that he will scrape as much money as humanly possible out of these ventures.

He is going there because of the money and the external package involved. Not because he is passionate about playing football at a high level. Sure the MLS has to promote their league and offer good packages that will attract good players. I'm sure if it can do this effectively the MLS can be a great thing. I just think giving Beckham crazy money is not going to achieve this.

Its nice to hear of all that investment in the game over there. And no doubt it can be turned into a huge brand. But will it attract the fans to warrant it. It may be OK in DC or LA where Becks is going, but what about the rest of the teams in the league? Do they attract the fans at the moment, and will this temp fans away from the more established sports. The answer is no in my opinion because there is to much competition and not enough interest in football to start with. EPL standard stadiums may be up and running, but do they generate large crowds on a consistent basis?

I don't want to talk about the MLS on its own anymore because I was originally trying to relate it to the Beckham situation. I'll say this one last thing in this post, IMO if Beckham was still in the England squad and Madrid first team there is no way he would be going to America at the end of the season. He has almost conceded defeat on his football career in my eyes. Although as I said before I am happy if he says its what he wants (though its debatable whether this is the truth).

Last edited:
The announcement came today about David Beckham coming to Americana and the gasoline dropped 15 cents...Mr. Soccer already having an impact on the USA economy.Mark my words DB will be a Playboy Mansion regular ;)

well his make up team from LA thats one of his reasons
beckham wont play football in LA he is gonna do his best as a model
we wish you good luck beckham ;)
sorry for my eng

I heard that it actually breaks down as $10,000,000 in wages. The rest is endorsements and shares in profits from LA Galaxy etc.

csaunders, I'm trying not to blatantly put a downer on the MLS like bebo did. However I stand by what I said. I know its hard to believe but Beckham is not a stupid man. He sees that America is yet to capitalize on soccer like the rest of the world. He is now trying to exploit this fact with the soccer schools etc. Sure he is a nice guy and its something he is passionate about. But be sure that he will scrape as much money as humanly possible out of these ventures.

He is going there because of the money and the external package involved. Not because he is passionate about playing football at a high level. Sure the MLS has to promote their league and offer good packages that will attract good players. I'm sure if it can do this effectively the MLS can be a great thing. I just think giving Beckham crazy money is not going to achieve this.

Its nice to hear of all that investment in the game over there. And no doubt it can be turned into a huge brand. But will it attract the fans to warrant it. It may be OK in DC or LA where Becks is going, but what about the rest of the teams in the league? Do they attract the fans at the moment, and will this temp fans away from the more established sports. The answer is no in my opinion because there is to much competition and not enough interest in football to start with. EPL standard stadiums may be up and running, but do they generate large crowds on a consistent basis?

I don't want to talk about the MLS on its own anymore because I was originally trying to relate it to the Beckham situation. I'll say this one last thing in this post, IMO if Beckham was still in the England squad and Madrid first team there is no way he would be going to America at the end of the season. He has almost conceded defeat on his football career in my eyes. Although as I said before I am happy if he says its what he wants (though its debatable whether this is the truth).
actuallu MLS is only shelling out $400,000

The salary cap is expected to be approximately $2.2 million per team next year, but under the new rules only $400,000 of Beckham's salary will count against the cap. MLS will pay Beckham $400,000 per year, while the Galaxy's investment group, Anschutz Entertainment Group, will pay the remainder. Exact terms of the contract were not disclosed, but the $250 million figure reportedly includes commercial endorsements, merchandising income and a share of club profits.

So you have to understand MLS is a franchise system. All players get paid by MLS, not by the individual teams. The individuial teams operate as franchises. Its a little complicated. But there business plan is very sound. I think in the end both parties will be using each other, it will be intresting to see how this plays out.

you'd better ignore that kind of despising message untill it's deleted .
by the way they have just shown beckham's transfer on new here and he said "I'm not going there for money but to make the team stronger" :lol:
how many players can they have for that money ? they can buy a whole ligue1 squad with that money/salary (except lyon) .

lets say they buy the entire squad of st eitnne or marseille, NO ONE WOULD CARE. But becks brings immediate recongnition. Thats why the move is being made. Im 50/50 on this right now, im hoping it doesnt backfire, but i can see how it will bring soccer to the fore front here in america, ESPECIALLY if becks cheats on posh with brit or lindsay lohan!!!! That would be awesome!! Get in there becks!!!

lets say they buy the entire squad of st eitnne or marseille, NO ONE WOULD CARE. But becks brings immediate recongnition. Thats why the move is being made. Im 50/50 on this right now, im hoping it doesnt backfire, but i can see how it will bring soccer to the fore front here in america, ESPECIALLY if becks cheats on posh with brit or lindsay lohan!!!! That would be awesome!! Get in there becks!!!
I don't deny that mate , LA know what they are doing it's not a fan whim . I was commenting his "I moved there to make their team stronger" . :roll:

The Detroit sport radio presenter mentioned a great point on talksport and its true that most American Soccer fans would rather watch Man city vrs Westham at 10am on TV on a Sat etc, than go see Dallas burn vrs chicago fire live at the stadium.

Its like true NFL fans in the UK they are not interested in the Monarchs or Claymores and would rather watch the Dolphins vrs the Patroits on TV

They should play a 4-1-5 formation, Beckham can take care of the midfield by himself.

Question:

How much money exactly does Real Madrid get out of all this?

I was at Highbury when an old man was telling me and my wife What real passion and love a football fan has. During WWII they were bombing London and some matches kept schedule and he told me him and a few fans turn up to watch....then he turn and asked me why I support Arsenal I was speechless none the less he said it`s O.K. son I just want you to understand Our passion and I hope you will find it.I`m sure he not around anymore but I will never forget him...

Can MLS produce Fans like that besides csaunders ? I don`t want to knock MLS it`s not like everyone else is blind and can`t see,maybe DB can be heard and change the format.Here to wishful thinking...

The Detroit sport radio presenter mentioned a great point on talksport and its true that most American Soccer fans would rather watch Man city vrs Westham at 10am on TV on a Sat etc, than go see Dallas burn vrs chicago fire live at the stadium.

Its like true NFL fans in the UK they are not interested in the Monarchs or Claymores and would rather watch the Dolphins vrs the Patroits on TV
but now they will, thats the point.

How much money exactly does Real Madrid get out of all this?
Enough to continue feeding Ronaldo.

Now, honestly speaking, how much interest do you guys think this will HONESTLY spark in the MLS? Granted, fans like you and I would probably rather watch European Team [A] play European Team (insert your own teams... I watch Serie A, so whatever floats :P), but does the general American audience want to a.)Shell out the kind of money JUST to watch foreign games and b.)CARE about foreigners. In the time that I've been here, I've learned that the Americans are the second most whiny people about other countries (They follow their English forefathers [I'm sick of hearing you guys bitch about international games, and how C. Ronaldo sucks because he got Rooney red carded OMG])
This country needs some genuine interest, specifically in the youth. The youth are who will be playing the sport in the future, and who will be playing in the league (primarily), will ONE well known superstar be able to rise the level of play significantly because of Beckham? One thing needs to happen first, ESPN (or some other broadcast available on REGULAR CABLE) needs to actualy AIR the games. I don't think i've seen a single MLS game on the tele...

I don't see it doing much at all.

It's not like instantly their going to be putting MLS highlights on Sportscenter now. They'll put the first few Beckham games on there but after awhile when they hype dies down it will go back to the usual occassional game on ESPN or ESPN2.

Let's face it. America is a NFL country. We just like to see monsterous people slam into each other.

I'm actualy quite impressed with how FAST this word is spreading. Its on the news EVERYWHERE here! Being italian, and that I walk around work with a long sleeve C. Ronaldo Jersey on at work, I had a quite the number of people come up to me and ask if I knew about the trade. Hell, I even explained to a group of about 10 people about exactly what went into a trade like that (money wise), it was quite funny, I even got people who recognized the Man. U jersey! (Of course it was "Oh, didn't Becks play for that team?")

I'm very suprised with how the U.S. press is treating this. It's getting more press than when Allen Iverson left Philly! (for those who don't live around here... it was quite minimal, and he was a superstar on the city basketball team!)

I heard Beckham in an interview earlier in which he said that he spoke to new best mate Tom Cruise to help him make the decision. Why? Obviously football isn't the first thing on his mind in this deal. As many premiership managers including SAF have implied in some recent interviews.

Its more worrying that he takes advise from Tom Cruise in the first place though. The man is a fruit loop. I don't think Becks will be hiring the same publicity team that have turned him into the joke in Hollywood he is now. :lol:

but now they will, thats the point.

No it wont, it will for the Galaxy for maybe a season but they cant show them on tv every week even tho they will want too now.

Plus each team only plays them at home once but half way through the season ppl will be bored by the thought of seeing him play hes no pele or ruiz when it comes to ball play or scoring.

what do you think he should say. "Im going there to steal the americans money" :)
he doesn't steal there is an agreement .
now he says what he want and depending on what he says the reactions are differents and everyone are free to react his way . if he says "I'll go there because it a good contract I can't refuse at this moment of my life" I won't laugh .
I personnally think it's good and it would be good if more and more good players go there . the mls would become more interesting to watch .

Back
Top Bottom