Champions League 2011/12

Written in the stars that Drogba would have the decisive kick in what seems to be his last game for Chelsea.

Wonder if Abramovich will go now he's got what he's always wanted?

Written in the stars, I mean im not religious but you just had that feeling Chelsea were going to do it after the way they beat Barcelona and this was exactly the same.

UNBELIEVABLE. 2012 the year of Arab and Oil Money finally beats football

Congrats to Chelsea, heads need to roll at the Lane.

Platini looks so pissed giving the trophy to an english team, he's crying inside.. hahaha

Champions of Europe and 6th in their domestic league, football eh.

Football has lost tonight. It's a shame.

likes of that posts are exactly what made me back Chelsea

anyway,

am also sad for Spurs, they're my favourites in England, but, no problem, since Bayern (and their new Barça supporters) are sad, am happy

Chelsea may not play the best football, the team spirit they always show is admirable. Congrats.

Wow!! Speechless!

Never has a less deserving team won the Champion's League! It really was written in the stars. Congratulations Chelsea and their fans.

This is the perfect example of when the better team does NOT win. Bayern dominated throughout and were the better team for 88 mins of that 90 min game. But like some have said, it's like it was destiny and written in the stars...

Unbelievable stuff! To concede from the ONLY corner Chelsea had in the 88th minute when Bayern had like 20 of them and miss a penalty in Extra time and then hit the post in 5th penalty... crazy stuff.

The only great thing about all this is that Roberto Di Matteo, a great manager and a deserving man, will now surely be getting the job. Where as if they had lost on penalties which would still have been a great achievement for the 6th best team in England, the poor guy would've probably got the boot.

So I'm happy for Robbie Di Matteo but shocked and speechless. Football can be so cruel sometimes. But the likes of Robben and Gomez have themselves to blame for being so wasteful and playing bad just when it's most important.

Credit to Neuer and Phillip Lahm who once again showed they have massive balls and massive confidence!

it seems that most of you think that there's only one FOOTBALL ..
in my opinion, unless cheating, every team deserves his win .. and that's a football ..
you seem to only consider as football, the football of your favourite teams ..

but in fact, Football is all, it's Madrid's legendary attack, it's Barcelona's possession and short passes, it's Chelsea's organised deffense, it's English commitment, it's Latino's skills and soul, it's Italian Deffense and atmosphere, it's all, ALL

and the biggest loser tonight = tottenham hotspurs....

lucky win for chelsea - congratz to that victory.
now bayern knows how barca felt some weeks ago...
unbelievable. so many chances and possesion - in the end you only need one set piece and little luck to win the final.

btw: i wonder if this will be the most expesive CL title for all time - one billion euros. totally insane... :D

Both teams deserved to win it. Bayern for playing bravely attacking football most of the time and Chelsea for successfully defending against such an attacking force and doing this without their four key players. Football did not lose anything. We once again witnessed that anything can happen in this game till the last second, that a 35 year old guy could work as if he's only 17 for his desire and that a caretaker coach might shockingly win the CL trophy for Abramovich, not Mourinho, not Scolari, not Ancelotti, not Hiddink. Di Matteo is the man!! Football is the game!!

Adding to that "written in the stars" thing, Petr Cech predicted all six penalties right.. Not bad, eh!

Oh and it's such a shame a player like Gomez is the target man of a top club like Bayern and of a top, top national side. Having a good positioning ability is not everything. I've known this guy for more than four years and he has always been ridiculously wasteful. If there was a striker with a slightly better finishing ability in place of him, he could've doubled his records with the supporting players around him (yes, I'm aware of what I'm saying). Hope that Klose gets fit enough for Euros and also Bayern goes for a real 'target man' asap. I just can't stand this guy and that he's rated highly among fans.

it seems that most of you think that there's only one FOOTBALL ..
in my opinion, unless cheating, every team deserves his win .. and that's a football ..
you seem to only consider as football, the football of your favourite teams ..

but in fact, Football is all, it's Madrid's legendary attack, it's Barcelona's possession and short passes, it's Chelsea's organised deffense, it's English commitment, it's Latino's skills and soul, it's Italian Deffense and atmosphere, it's all, ALL

Not when you spend the crazy amount of money Chelsea spend. The means to the end matter when you put that much money in. It's not just about winning. I rather lose like Bilbao did in the Europa League, with home grown players and attacking, than win with playing like Getafe after having one of the world's richest people spend a fortune, and barely have any homegrown players in my team.

and what's the problem with 11 players with high amounts?
look at them in the pitch as 11 men, no matter what the team spent for them ..

Not when you spend the crazy amount of money Chelsea spend. The means to the end matter when you put that much money in. It's not just about winning. I rather lose like Bilbao did in the Europa League, with home grown players and attacking, than win with playing like Getafe after having one of the world's richest people spend a fortune, and barely have any homegrown players in my team.

Money is everything duh. I don't know the problem these days that some people crying for Chelsea and Man City spendings. All big teams has to spend to get a big squad.

I have nothing against Bayern, as a football fan i would have liked them to win, but yesterday i wasn't impressed with them at all. They dominated but lacked creativity. On paper both Robben and Ribery are their biggest assets, but they are too individualistic and this in a club where theam spirit is very important. Both stars played very individualistic (the amount of times they should have passed to a better team mate, went for personal glory and lost the ball was spectacular) and choked when it really mattered. Schweinsteiger also kind of let his team down (and i'm not talking about his missed penalty, this happens, i felt sorry for him). Maybe he wasn't totally fit. The big scapegoat will be Heynckes, i don't understand why he subbed Thomas Muller. After the 1-0, Bayern should have gone for a second goal. Instead Drogba scored an absolute stunning header and Chelsea went on to win with penalties.
I always liked Chelsea, and i 'm glad for Lampard, Drogba and Cech (and even Ashley Cole, a player i really don't like), they deserved this for years because they were always among the best players of their generation. Like i said about City's title, it's a litle hypocritical to complain about the sugar daddy clubs when the traditional clubs did everything to create a glass ceiling...having a rich sugar daddy is the only way to go through the glass ceiling and become a big European club as a (relative) outsider...congratulations to Chelsea. They deserve this (and i'm a Belgian Spurs fan: Spurs will not play CL and Anderlecht miss out a direct CL qualification, they have to play two qualification rounds, if Bayern would have won, both Anderlecht and Spurs would have played CL).

All this said, in the long term this may prove to be the worst thing that could have happened to Chelsea. They need to build a new team with younger players and should get rid of the older players who dominate the dressing room. If they don't get rid of these players, i foresee a catastrophical 12/13 season for Chelsea.

I'm pretty sure Bayern will have other chances to win the CL with this crop of players, but maybe they should get rid of their two stars...they actually might be better off without them. I also think we will see a new coach next season (Jurgen Klopp???).

If you see a smaller and less resourceful team reach the final and play this kind of football, I think most of us neutrals would have been forgiving. Neutrals love an underdog.

But Chelsea has a more expensive squad than Bayern. To see a star studded squad with the likes of Drogba, Mata, Lampard, Torres the £50m striker, et al, playing this coward's version of football, shrinking inside your own half, defending for 90 minutes and praying the ball wouldn't go in. A whole style based solely on denying the opposition. Sorry but that's not good enough for a team of this calibre.

I don't mean to diminish the defensive shift they put yesterday. It requires great team spirit, solidarity and tactical obedience. But this is no way to play football when you have the resources to play a bit more offensive. Chelsea is a team who has been barely surviving, and has had the biggest amount of luck I have seen for one team alone.

I just hope this doesn't become some sort of blueprint for success. But even if it does, it will be short lived.

Never before I have seen such an injustice in a Champions League final. The team who took the initiative and attacked during the whole game should have won it IMO.

If you see a smaller and less resourceful team reach the final and play this kind of football, I think most of us neutrals would have been forgiving. Neutrals love an underdog.

But Chelsea has a more expensive squad than Bayern. To see a star studded squad with the likes of Drogba, Mata, Lampard, Torres the £50m striker, et al, playing this coward's version of football, shrinking inside your own half, defending for 90 minutes and praying the ball wouldn't go in. A whole style based solely on denying the opposition. Sorry but that's not good enough for a team of this calibre.

I don't mean to diminish the defensive shift they put yesterday. It requires great team spirit, solidarity and tactical obedience. But this is no way to play football when you have the resources to play a bit more offensive. Chelsea is a team who has been barely surviving, and has had the biggest amount of luck I have seen for one team alone.

I just hope this doesn't become some sort of blueprint for success. But even if it does, it will be short lived.

Never before I have seen such an injustice in a Champions League final. The team who took the initiative and attacked during the whole game should have won it IMO.

But you have to tell that this is a broken Chelsea. Worst Chelsea squad I've ever seen.

I think Bayern should sell Robben, he's talented but he's the kind of player who tend to be selfish and deffenders would focus on him to kill his efficacity .. so it always ends to be a sterile player in big matchs ..
that's what happened with Germany when Ballack was the star, and I remember when Germany find itself losing and wants to score, they only play to curve the ball to Ballack's head ..

I said in an othed thread (or maybe this thread), that Robben is a 2nd place player, like Ballack ..
and look what happened to Bayern, the same what happened to Leverkusen 2002 ..
am not saying that Ballack was the cause of Leverkusen's failure, but, I just wanted to say that some players NEVER change .. they are like abc .. everybody know them ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom