Celtic Thread

First away win in CL by a relatively young manager in Neil Lennon.

Fantastic win and he's building a good team with some terrific players.

Unfortunately I think a few will move in the near future, but hope to keep on building the team.

The league is all but guaranteed (not trying to sound over-confident) but so far NL has done well with his European games which is a good barometer for his credentials.

FD

You are guaranteed the league for the next 4 years at least aren't you with Rangers out of the way?

Would be funny if you (Celtic) got too cocky and ended up not winning it this season....not for you obviously :DD

You are guaranteed the league for the next 4 years at least aren't you with Rangers out of the way?

Would be funny if you (Celtic) got too cocky and ended up not winning it this season....not for you obviously :DD

Was thinking the same. That would be awesome! :D :LOL:

I wish for it too but I don't see it happening.

I can't see it either, the other teams on their game can do well, but as for consistency, just not good enough to make a challenge.

FD

True mate, although we got our first euro win away at Moscow.

He's built a good young team.

Currently 4 up ar h-t with st mirren.

Wanyama will play for one of europes biggest teams. Phenomenal talent, absolute beast on the park.

FD

Superb result tonight, what a brilliant brave display.

Celtic+barcelona

FD

Frank, this is great for football.
You might know that i really like Barcelona,but yesterdayi wanted Celtic to win...
My kids were watching with me (my son is a Barcelona fan) and they were very impressed with the noise and the singing of the Celtic.I said they must be among the best fans in the world...

And Rod Stewart...isn't it beautiful, all the emotions football can spark. Enjoy it mate...

Parking the bus and beating a team which plays football how it's meant to be played is great for football? Not buying it. Good for Celtic, and fair play to them, sure, but not for football.

Perhaps if Celtic had taken the game to Barca and showed no fear I'd probably agree. If anything it's bad for football, like Inter and Chelsea winning the CL, as it promotes negative football. Ideally I'd want a Barca-Dortmund final for the exact purpose of promoting the (real) beautiful game. I always want the team who plays the better football to win (unless it's those lot over the road!)

Yeah let's attack probably the best team on the planet (well technically being current WC champs they are) with our team bought for a total of £5.6m (call it £6.9 including our subs), our 2 goalscorers cost a combined fee of £1m.

Our team were brilliant in what they were asked to do and Lenny once again did a great job in his tactics and how to combat this team.

Chelsea and Inter have 100's of millions of talent and money at their disposal, Celtic get around £2m at best for TV money per season, actually the whole SPL get's £10m per season to divide between it's teams.

But yeah we'll attack them.

FD

I also love attacking football, but as a litle team you simply have no chance if you try to attack those teams.
Take Genk last year.
Genk had to start the CL without a defense. All their defenders were injured. They playd with two defensive midfielders as CB and with a SMF as a SB. Their coach gambled and decided that in those cirumstances playing defensively would not be very wise, so he tried to play a more offense game against teams like Chelsea and Valencia. At home Genk did reasonably well: 3 draws (and that is a success for a Belgian team). They narrowly lost in Leverkusen but were Europe laughing stock against away aganaist both Chelsea and Valencia...

Celtic did the only possible thing: defending. I thoroughly enjoyed the match.

Barcelona have a team that is among the best club teams ever, they have won lots of silverware with this team. The downside is that most of their adversaries try not to loose against them. Celtic beat them with their own strength: tenacity and direct football in the air...they deserved their win.

Yeah let's attack probably the best team on the planet (well technically being current WC champs they are) with our team bought for a total of £5.6m (call it £6.9 including our subs), our 2 goalscorers cost a combined fee of £1m.

Our team were brilliant in what they were asked to do and Lenny once again did a great job in his tactics and how to combat this team.

Chelsea and Inter have 100's of millions of talent and money at their disposal, Celtic get around £2m at best for TV money per season, actually the whole SPL get's £10m per season to divide between it's teams.

FD

I'm not disputing whether or not Celtic should have played defensive or not, as you say, they had a gameplan and carried it through brilliantly. if City had done the same I'd be over the (blue)moon. ....hell, I'd be over the moon if we could just get a win in the CL ATM! Beating Barca, no matter how you do it, is a great achievement. All I'm disputing is whether Celtic beating Barca is somehow great for football.
As a tactical battle it was interesting but it wasn't the greatest of spectacles for a neutral like me, which is why I mainly watched the Chelsea game

Last edited:
Diddnt barca hit the post countless times? To me it's barca who could not finish for toffys rather then celtic defend world class

It's a strange one. For example, I wouldn't say Chelsea defended well in their CL run last season, they were saved by inept finishing and the woodwork on numerous occasions.

But Lennon bringing on Watt was a positive move. Barca only have themselves to blame for not investing in a proper CB over the summer.

It's always easy to judge things with hindsight.
If Puyol and Piqué can play a season without injury, Barcelona don't need other CB's.

About Chelsea's CL win: it wasn't the most spectacular win, perhaps it was even an ugly CL win. But you can't say that they did all with luck. They were supposedly lucky against Napoli (2 times), Barcelona (two times) and Bayern Munich (120 minutes). That is 480 minutes with only luck and no other merits? We all know better than that, they must have done some things right.

Ramirez was immense for Chelsea, so was Lampard with his passing, Drogba's equaliser in the CL final was class...it's far too simple too blame it all on luck or the ineptitude of the opponents...

Same goes for Celtic's win yesterday.

First things first: congratulations to Celtic! They did the only thing they could do, they did it brilliantly and had a bit of luck, but they also had Foster that is, with Cech, the best goalkeeper I've seen lately.

The atmosphere at the stadium was amazing and Celtic fans are the best i've ever met, such passion for the team, it was very touchy to see Stewart crying. Things like that need to be seen even if your own team looses. It was a great day for Celtic and they will remember this night.I'm glad for you guys.

Besides, unlike Chelsea last year, Celtic players were fair and didnt resort to time wasting, constant fouls and Barcelona players also played it fair.

I think Barcelona was wasteful and unlucky, and that's all. You can have a bad night now and then, they're human and can fail. But, as Tito said, at least Barcelona looses trying to Play attacking football and keeping devoted to a style. There are ways to loose, There's nothing wrong in losing like this and against a rival that put the heart in the pitch. That's why we love football after all, right. No other sport can have this unexpected outcome.

About our defense... Actually Barcelona was missing Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Adriano and Abidal.And it was the first week for Alves after a long injury. And only allowed 2 chances, but both ended in the net. So our defense is very weak only in very specific situations, and yes we may need another CB, but we've been also unlucky with injuries.

The worse match in the season and we had 20 attempts on goal. Many teams won't achieve this even on their best day!

I could put my Celtic shirt now (I bought it years ago at Scotland), but you will understand I don't do it tonight.. It doesn't fit me anymore! haha...

Last edited:

FD

good post

and ignore him - he's just bitter because Man City spent a zillion pound on Gareth Barry and Lescott and finished bottom of the Champions League, under Ajax.

Looking forward to Celtic - Juventus. COME ON HOOPS!!

:D

Juventus will be very tough, but it's somewhere we didn't think we'd get with such a hard group and young inexperienced team.

Drekkard - Forster has been immense, Artur Boruc was the best goalie I've saw for the Hoops, but this guy is only 24 and is near to eclipsing him. For me he's been the best goalie in Britain this year, defo was the best goalie of this year's CL games (one of the best overall players if you look at his stats). Defo should have been capped by now, Hart is a superb goalie and over the past few years is of higher standing but this year Forster has been far far better and it's criminal he hasn't been capped.

Gary Hooper is another one, awesome finisher, best one on one i can remember seeing for Celtic, and I mean better than Henrik Larsson (although he ain't as good as the King overall). Another who should be capped for England.

FD

I'll be watching your game vs Juve. instead of Valencia-PSG game despite being a big fan of Zlatan. I'm very curious about this (sort of) new Celtic team. Actually I haven't even heard about all of the other guys making the starting XI except Lustig, Scott Brown and Samaras. :D

it was a big mistake, but.. i think with the tempo, Celtic might get a goal..i would wish that becouse i think it would be amazing for the team and fans that deserve it...by far best fans in whole Great Britain imo.

As a United fan, may I say thank you in advance for developping Victor, and you're welcome for the £15m coming your way in the summer.

Kid is a beast.

can´t say Celtic were the worse team... two major fuck ups by Ambrose cost them the CL.

It will take a miracle to turn this around..

Great game and kuddos to Juve, they were clinical and deserved to win.

Back
Top Bottom