British Culture: Scotland's Youngest Grandfather

You may think he seeks a deeper discussion, but what he really does is says, "if you disagree with me you're wrong."
If Gerd is seen as that kind of person, I must be one too then. Which strikes me as weird as I'm open-minded to the point of quarry brain, and as placid as a Bud frog.

And probably like this comment of mine, Gerd's are taken out of context and used as fuel in a fire that in a normal real-life situation wouldn't be burning 95% of the time.

The town I'm from in England has something like 80,000 at its centre and drug crime is absolutely rife, trash everywhere, graffiti everywhere, loutish behaviour everywhere, murders regularly, violent assaults constantly, etc. etc. Prague has a population of 1.2m and I never witnessed any "bad" things other than loutish English "tourists". The town in CZ I actually lived in was very small yes, population of around 5k, but there were still plenty of teenagers who would hang around at night on corners drinking and such but their behaviour wasn't anti-social or threatening.

The town I'm from in England has something like 80,000 at its centre and drug crime is absolutely rife, trash everywhere, graffiti everywhere, loutish behaviour everywhere, murders regularly, violent assaults constantly, etc. etc. Prague has a population of 1.2m and I never witnessed any "bad" things other than loutish English "tourists". The town in CZ I actually lived in was very small yes, population of around 5k, but there were still plenty of teenagers who would hang around at night on corners drinking and such but their behaviour wasn't anti-social or threatening.

yes after doing some research it seems grimsby is one of the most violent towns in all of england, if not the most violent. Sounds like philadelphia(a port town as well)! but placebo, its violent crime rate is more then twice the rate of the national avg! so your really generalizing.. your example and the reason you think england is a shithole is because of one town which you happen to be from and happens to be the worst in all of the land! i can understand why you dont want to go back.... but as i suspected all of england is not that bad... not even close apparently, LOL. Now go find the most violent town in CZ and im sure its similair. My point is, there are violent towns in all countries... as human beings, we cant seem to escape our social probelms no matter where we go... unfortunatley

In my 32 years living in England I visited a lot of towns/cities, they're all shitholes, I wouldn't generalise simply because of my experiences in one town, I've never visited any town/city and thought "wow what a lovely place", I've never had any desire to move to a different part of England, of course part of it will be "grass is greener", but every town I've visited has problems, every town/city you see on the news has problems, thuggish behaviour, anti social behaviour, violent crime, racist crimes, they're all going up and up and up all over England.

The other large problem I had with England which I just remembered, is the growing racial issues, I always despised racism growing up and in the North especially it seems that racism and racist attacks are becoming more and more prevalent.

Placebo is right - no civilized person can go into a town or city center on a Friday or Saturday in England - they are all full with the most awful badly behaved drunk people. It's Hogarth and Gin Lane all over again!

There are lots of nice parts of England and Britain.

I can't say I have been everywhere but alot of the places I have been have been beautiful and the people very friendly.

Parts of Cornwall/Devon - Parts of Wales. Scotland is Great I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and had a brilliant time.

I think racism has died down alot since the 70's/80's - If there is Racism it is between alot of differnet races. Not just White on Black/Asian etc.

But what there is a rise in is younger children becoming violent to people of any ages - knowing that they will get away with it. They have a Mentality that nothing can hurt them and when they go around in gangs of 10 plus - it doesn't matter how Hard you are you are never going to win.

I think the age in which children should be imprisoned should be bought down to 14 - this would be a start in the right direction.

All in all though - I love Britain and London Especially. I love living in a multi cultural environment - with lots of amazing people from many backgrounds.

I just wish it was sunny all year round :((

ok, well i have never lived in the UK(comparing london gangs to gangs in bogota and quatelma or even la is a stretch, maybe recently they have gotten worse, but lets see how it is in 10 years). Maybe certain areas are bad off, but nothing like the poverty and lawlessness that takes place in these countries. I cant even remeber the last time england was involved in a civil war... or ruled by thugs and drug dealers. Obviously placebo has lived in some nice places, so i think his perspective is quite different from people who perceive the UK as a nice place. From what i know sweeden and singapore have a very high standard of living, but there also tiny tiny countries(new york city in fact is larger then both of these countries combined)And they are both essentially cash cows with both having very high GDP's. So i can imagine why placebo thinks UK is a shithole compared to sweeden and singapore, LOL. It makes sense it terms of quality of life. But its all relative, cause obviously england would be heaven to anyone comming from darfur or north korea. I really think this is the point gerd is making, everyone on here who lives in these developed first world nations should be lucky and thankfull for what you have, cause it could be a lot fucking worse my friends. And if you put it all in perspective, england is not that bad.... i think this is what gerd is trying to say, also one other thing, everyone on here should consider themselves lucky as well to be able to leave there so called "shitholes" and live where they choose. Not everyone on this planet has that choice....

There have been, and I might not be 100% correct on these figures, about 22 fatal stabbings or shootings of just teenagers in London over the last few months. It's particularly bad in South London, today a kid was shot dead in a supermarket (like a 7-11).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4478282.ece

Last month some French students were tied up and stabbed over 200 times and set on fire.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g1M0pZcMqn3MXW7XcfRdR_SAtxUg

It's like the bad parts of DC, but spread all over sections of South London. In DC you have some nice, safe areas (like Clarendon, Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown etc) and bad areas (East Benning Road)- its like this in London but the bad areas are growing in size... it feels like soon all of London will be a no go zone.

There have been, and I might not be 100% correct on these figures, about 22 fatal stabbings or shootings of just teenagers in London over the last few months. It's particularly bad in South London, today a kid was shot dead in a supermarket (like a 7-11).

Last month some French students were tied up and stabbed over 200 times and set on fire.

It's like the bad parts of DC, but spread all over sections of South London. In DC you have some nice, safe areas (like Clarendon, Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown etc) and bad areas (East Benning Road)- its like this in London but the bad areas are growing in size... it feels like soon all of London will be a no go zone.

I've always said it about London - You have a couple of nice roads etc but then right near them you have a rough Estate etc or a bad Area.

There aren't sections of London you shouldn't be in - but small little communities dotted around. So you could be in one of the nicest areas - but take a wrong turn and you could be in the shit.

nice you seem to know the area where i live.. we should have a pint together if you ever come back, i wont stab you!

Back
Top Bottom