Best free kicker ever ?

Marcos Assuncao. I remember a couple seasons ago he went through a long FK scoring spell for Betis.

Maradona, Platini, Mihajlovic, R. Baggio, Zico, Juninho, Assuncao, Del Piero, Recoba, Zidane! :8):

Funny the way you think the best free kicker takers have ALL bar NONE played in seria a....I'll take a leap in the dark and guess you watch seria a then :lmao:

Juninho hasn't.

Opps my wings are made of wax Hehe.

Ok ALL.....bar.....AHEM 1.

If I had to list the best free kick takers in no given order that I have seen I would go with;

Beckham
Zico
Sinsa
Van Hooijdonck
Koeman

Juninho (behind the others Haha)

Dude, you spend half of the argument saying Juninho is behind Beckham and the crux of your point is because of the lower standard of goalkeepers in the French league.

Then you go and put van Hooijdonk in there above Juninho.:|

If you consider Iker Casillas or Oliver Kahn poor keepers...
I think his FK style and shot power can turn goalkeepers into a crazy man just watching the ball coming and can do nothing about it...
Actually if the FKer is really good, there's nothing the keeper can do...

Dude, you spend half of the argument saying Juninho is behind Beckham and the crux of your point is because of the lower standard of goalkeepers in the French league.

Then you go and put van Hooijdonk in there above Juninho.:|

Fair point.

I am nothing if "not dogmatic".

There is a flaw in that granted. Not sure why I have thought that really. I wonder has he scored more free kicks at international level or did he get quite a few at Forest...not sure the rationale. In fact in the top flight I think he legged it from Forest so the rationale doesn't look good now you mention it...unless I have seen him hit more at international level and subconciously thought about it....good point.

If you consider Iker Casillas or Oliver Kahn poor keepers...

Now now....no one has said that, so don't go into crazyville on us.

The point I made was one of the average standard that he has hit most free kicks past.....which is categorically NOT those two keepers who are not even in the French League that he plays most hi football in.

The free kick against Khan was amazing, but it is not the standard of keeper he is usually up against, it just isn't.

At least be right about what my positions is even if you disagree with it. I mean if you think my point on French keepers isn't relevant then fine. If people think that then I can easily see why they would rate Juninho even higher than I do.

Last edited:
my fav freekickers are juninho (pernambucano) and ronaldinho

ps: I'm only 13 so i wasn't around in the zico, maradona age and please take note I said they're my fav not saying they are the best just getting a point accross because these forums can be negative towards minor things. :lmao:

Last edited:
my fav freekickers are juninho (pernambucano) and ronaldinho

ps: I'm only 13 so i wasn't around in the zico, maradona age and take not I said they're my fav not saying they are the best just getting a point accross because these forums can be negative towards minor things. :lmao:

Top post mate.

do you really mean it

Of course mate :)

Your opinion differs from mine but is equally valid and you have explained why you believe what you do perfectly well. I don't think age is a huge issue, I mean sure it can give you an idea of what went before but there are so many people with questionable opinions about football in their 30s or 50s, so being older doesn't mean people get it right. Plus all this is entirely subjective and with so much football these days you could probably watch as much football at 13 than such people have at 50 and that includes archive footage.

It's all subjective though that is the bottom line.

Sorry for being long winded.

Vanzandt...you are everywhere arent you? I think in terms of consistancy,Juninho Pernambucano has got to be tops.Have you seen any other players who can flex out different types of freekicks with incredible consistancy and accuracy? I heard that in training sessions with the Brasil NT,they always play this freekick game where one shoots freekicks from a particular distance and will keep shooting until he misses or the keeper saves it.Its been well known that Juninho is 'the player' to beat in this game.

Or about the story from Yugoslavia (I think).
(Forgive me if a few of the details are slightly inaccurate, though the story remains the same).

A coach had heard about this young player, Mihajlovic who apparantley had an amazing talent from dead-ball situations.
The coach upon meeting Mihajlovic, offered a wager saying if he could hit the bar twice from 3 free-kicks from the half way line, he would buy the whole first team lunch.

Mihajlovic never needed a 3rd attempt :lol:

Didi(brasil-1958WC),Maradona, Zico, Gerson(brasil-1970WC), Juninho, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Beckham, Pirlo, Recoba...
and...Me =D...lol...i'm kidding...

Zico,the brasilian legend,practices about 500 freekicks a day.

David Beckham practices his kicks by shotting through a tyre attached to the corner of the goal.

The freekick is an art.'Normal' players like Becks and Mihajlovic are superstars because they have perfected this art which makes them dangerous.

About Mihajlovic,he is one of the best.Name me another player who scores a hattrick of freekicks in a single game,not to mention the 'legend' about him that Steevio mentioned.

well I don't know much about classics but as for this generation I would say
Juninho,beckham and pirlo are the best free kickers at this moment.

i must say this is the best free kick i have seen lateley though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8efYl5CaNhQ&mode=related&search=

I'll be honest and say that I think Cristiano Ronaldo is a terrible free kick taker- just terrible.

I rate myself as a better free kick taker and i'm not even joking about that.

The fact is he hammers 95% of free kicks either over the bar or into the wall.

And I even think that on the free kick you have pointed to that it is a simple case of if you hit free kicks that hard, eventually one is bound to go in and look good. I would also say the swerve is unintentional and as much down to the movement of the newer football as to anything else.

I watch tons of Man Utd games and I am amazed that Ferguson has not told him that he is NOT to take the free kicks anymore because Giggs is a FAR better free kick taker and I would iumagine most of the team are better. Somehow because of his ego and importance to the team, because of his general ability he has managed to get to keep taking them despite how poor he is on them.

Last edited:
Last edited:
lol
yes i also think he does hammer every thing and rarely scores so when he scores it does look good but as you pointed out the swerve was definetley unintensional but the goal does look good.

We're on the same then page mate, I totally agree and yea it certainly does look good.

no doubts:

0,,11410144-EX,00.jpg

79 goals.. free kicks + penalties...

3 goals...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OxgfIudek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0yFOO5iT8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVUOJYJd5rM

and some great plays by rogerio ceni:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nn_nhe0LU4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TRRIeJ66M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbNBoopr_8I

Last edited:
Zola had a terrific record in Italy I'm sure. From memory the likes of Juninho, Pierre and Nakamura would be my top ones.

FD

Back
Top Bottom