auto sidestep is back again WTF!

1 more thing (i write this in a new post coz it's a different thing), i feel like in this WE version, i can't run in 22,5 degree in my 1st running from walking. i must run 45 or 90 degree for 2 touch of the ball before i can make 22,5* run. anybody feel the same?

You have a good point.

In PES6, there often comes the situation where you can't run in 22.5* angle at all. Even if you have been running with R1 for several "touches", and have gained some speed, the player still does 45 degree turn rather than a smaller 22.5 degree turn when you turn with him.

It seems to me like this is linked with the speed of the player, and not implemented as a constant gameplay feature.

So if you have a very slow player (or a player who is very tired), he will sometimes be unable to make 22.5* turns when holding R1, because he will seemingly not reach the top speed required.

This is yet another case for more analog control when running. Or they could fix it to how it worked in PES5 where this never happened to me as far as I can remember.

You have a good point.

In PES6, there often comes the situation where you can't run in 22.5* angle at all. Even if you have been running with R1 for several "touches", and have gained some speed, the player still does 45 degree turn rather than a smaller 22.5 degree turn when you turn with him.

It seems to me like this is linked with the speed of the player, and not implemented as a constant gameplay feature.

So if you have a very slow player (or a player who is very tired), he will sometimes be unable to make 22.5* turns when holding R1, because he will seemingly not reach the top speed required.

This is yet another case for more analog control when running. Or they could fix it to how it worked in PES5 where this never happened to me as far as I can remember.
ic, i have 22,5* run failed all the time coz i play my master league with default team player (castolo and friends) lol...

but even if its true the minimum running speed is the requirement, its still a bad point from konami :(

different topic from my previous post, but still a running topic:
real players can run any degree they want. IMO this is a very simple matter for programming. but konami (till now) don't assign any command to it.
you can't run 22,5* for more than 1 touch
just assign a command to it, example: still pressing R1 while releasing the d-pad will have the player still running in 22,5*
it's very simple i think, but is never possible in any WE.
(for those who wants to say pressing R1 while releasing d-pad will trigger the ball-stopping, it's different guys, ball-stoping requires u to release R1 first and then pressing it again)

konami prefer changing the game instead of improving it. they prefer make the running bad, n then good in the next version. make the cross looks stupid, n then back to normal in the next version. make anything look bad in 1 version, n then releas a good one in the next version, and receive compliments.

1 more thing: O pass is bad since WE10, it's way too fast. i can even make a superb longshot with manual long pass. but sux when u make a long trough pass with O or manual long pass, even with R2 pressed (to slow it down and make it higher, but still too fast n low).

Last edited:
ic, i have 22,5* run failed all the time coz i play my master league with default team player (castolo and friends) lol...

but even if its true the minimum running speed is the requirement, its still a bad point from konami :(

different topic from my previous post, but still a running topic:
real players can run any degree they want. IMO this is a very simple matter for programming. but konami (till now) don't assign any command to it.
you can't run 22,5* for more than 1 touch
just assign a command to it, example: still pressing R1 while releasing the d-pad will have the player still running in 22,5*
it's very simple i think, but is never possible in any WE.
(for those who wants to say pressing R1 while releasing d-pad will trigger the ball-stopping, it's different guys, ball-stoping requires u to release R1 first and then pressing it again)

konami prefer changing the game instead of improving it. they prefer make the running bad, n then good in the next version. make the cross looks stupid, n then back to normal in the next version. make anything look bad in 1 version, n then releas a good one in the next version, and receive compliments.

1 more thing: O pass is bad since WE10, it's way too fast. i can even make a superb longshot with manual long pass. but sux when u make a long trough pass with O or manual long pass, even with R2 pressed (to slow it down and make it higher, but still too fast n low).

You make great points, and I can only agree.

I too have the same feeling regarding KONAMIs habit of making something crap in one version, and then fixing it again in the next. I doubt it is intentional, but they still seem pretty clueless when they are so wildly different from version to version.

PES2008 seesm to be pretty similar to PES6 in alot of aspects though so lets hope they maybe have found a formula they like, so we atleast won't have the big changes back and forth we have had in PES4/5/6. :)

Yeah, all versions. ;)

If you hold R2 before you turn 90 degrees, the player will do a sidestep (keeping his body still "aimed" in the same direction as before the turn) rather than a "normal" turn where the body turns completely 90 degrees.

If you turn to the side of the players weak foot, he will drag it to the side with the instep of his strong foot. If you turn towards the direction of his strong foot, he will drag it with the outside of his strong foot. :)

The auto side step is there, i can confirm it after playing the demo on PC, i wonder how come some retarded noobs couldn’t notice it, the dribble is really bad and fucked up like shit, thanks konami!

Play on the lowest lvl, and just move in 90 degress and see the side stepping animation, was it like that in PES6? no

sidestep is back again...refined, varied, and semi-automatically intuitive!!!!

i think the misunderstanding stems from using the D-pad.
i've always used the analog stik, so you don't see the same sidestep all the time ;)
same goes with the semi-automated shot feint, etc.

please stick with the highest level 'superstar' :)

EDIT:
oops: i'm still talking about...
WE JL CC 2007...
and it plays nicely. thankyou

Last edited:
How do you mean lowest level? The difficulty level has nothing to do with animation behaviors etc. You will have to clarify further I'm afraid... ;)

There is zero pressure from the cpu when playing on the lowest lvl, with that you can concentrate more on the dribbling and how the player moves in 90 degrees...

There is zero pressure from the cpu when playing on the lowest lvl, with that you can concentrate more on the dribbling and how the player moves in 90 degrees...

I see. Well, when I press 90 degrees (d-pad or analog) the player turns like in PES6. Holding R2 makes him sidestep and use more technique.

Exceptions are for great players who shotfeint sometimes when turning 90 degrees (still no sidestepping though), and do other little tricks like Heel feints and such.

I'm sorry, I've seen none of the behaviors that you describe. :/

is the animation exactly the same like pes6? remember when you turn in 90 degrees in pes6 with the weak foot it takes much longer than the stronger foot, and when the player turns into 90 degrees he moves his whole body into that direction, but in pes2008, he dose a site stepping animation, you can even tap up or down and the player will do the side stepping automatically, I have uploaded those 2 videos to make it clear

http://files-upload.com/files/525701/ss.rar

I suppose the "no ss" video is from PES6?

there is some sidestepping in the other file (PES2008 I suppose). I'll have to play it now and have a look. Cheers for clearing it up with videos. :)

Yep, I did notice it now.

It happens whenever your player is facing left or right (whichever general direction the opponents goal is in), and not in any other directions.

For example, running upwards on the screen and turning to run to the right doesn't trigger the sidestep, but turning from right to up or down does.
And it is the same animation as when holding R2.

Tbh kind of dissapointed. It is quite unintrusive, but still defeats the purpose of having R2 for sidestepping when the player does it himself sometimes.

Good catch Unevilized, I stand corrected. :)

Yep, I did notice it now.

It happens whenever your player is facing left or right (whichever general direction the opponents goal is in), and not in any other directions.

For example, running upwards on the screen and turning to run to the right doesn't trigger the sidestep, but turning from right to up or down does.
And it is the same animation as when holding R2.

Tbh kind of dissapointed. It is quite unintrusive, but still defeats the purpose of having R2 for sidestepping when the player does it himself sometimes.

Good catch Unevilized, I stand corrected. :)

Mate, I'm afraid this game is really rushed, no quality signs IMO... Do you believe?

Or maby the demo is rushed...

Well, obviously it is impossible to know for sure, but knowing KONAMI there aren't going to be any big changes all of a sudden. It's not like they made a mistake, it's the same as with breezeblocks on the news and such; A conscious decision, that just seems to be made without any logic.

KONAMI often seem to lack any consistency in their decisions, which includes making the player sidestep when facing a certain direction, while other directions behave differently. I am not a fan of those types of systems. Consistency and lots of variations I am a fan of, and seeing how they could have both (but decided to include sidestepping even if I don't want it) cheapens the experience for me.

Might seem a bit strong, but I really am that picky.
Not to mention the shooting animations in PES that sometimes have the player doing some weird broadside shot when in reality I could easily just have smacked a hard shot. Instead the player just softs it to the goalkeeper, even though my finger is nowhere near R2 Controlled Shot. KONAMI decided that we want a controled shot, even though we aren't using that button, which again makes me want to fume since I just missed a goalchance from 20m because the player is unable to shot a hard laces shot just because the goal is 90 degrees to his left (seriously, how hard is that in real life, you can turn your body as you are shooting to get a better angle).

Back
Top Bottom