auto sidestep is back again WTF!

Unevilized

Banned
28 June 2006
why do players move like retarded Japanese robots, what the fuck seebass was thinking bringing this shit again?????????

why do players move like retarded Japanese robots, what the fuck seebass was thinking bringing this shit again?????????

Easy Tiger. :)

What game are you talking about first of all? J-League CC 2007?

Well, if they brought back the auto-sidestep they must be high, KONAMI themselves probably didn't think of the fact that you perform sidestep with "R2+ side direction". Why not let us choose for ourselves if we feel the player should sidestep (R2 + direction) or just turn normally (direction without R2).

But I suppose that is way too logical.

Seriously, anyone confirm this please. If this is the case, then what the hell is Konami doing.

PES4 - No auto sidestep
PES5 - Auto Sidestep
PES6 - No Auto Sidestep
WE JL CC 2007 - Auto Sidestep?

Does anyone see a pattern?

Yes it is in. But it looks better.

Hey Lami. :)

Yeah, I have seen some videos posted on here and the sidesteps and turns etc look alot improved as for how the players carry their weight while turning.

But, you do confirm that the players automatically sidestep if you run with the d-pad and then press 90 degrees from the direction of movement? Or do players still "turn" their whole body properly like in PES4/6.

Any difference when using R2? (maybe they switched it to using R2 makes the player turn his body?).

Again, if anyone can make sense of why KONAMI can't sem to make up their minds, do share. Seems like they are just changing random things back and forth to give you some (read: any) change, and hide the fact that controls are shallow as heck (no analog nothing, just 8 d-pad directions and some buttons).

I need some pills soon, KONAMI are so illogical I can actually feel the laws of physics start desintegrating...

Maybe it's because when you play Fantasista mode, you need to press R2 to call for a pass. You don't want to do sidestep every time you call for a pass.

the sidestep has a lot more variation in this version. in pes6 cutting back in always had the same animation and was too effective. in JLWE2007CC there are a number of different animations that work sometimes and sometimes don't. basically, its better now. also, getting passed defenders when ur 1v1 is a lot more realistic, stepovers if timed right confused defenders and they fall on their ass. but most of the time they keep their feet and get the ball off u.

but would i be right in sayin that WE JL CC 2007 is basically a slight update to pes6 and not using the pes 2008 "teamvision" engine? so wouldnt that mean it doesnt really reflect on wat pes 2008 will be like??

:lol: , good job nokami. You come up with some new element in the game and thereby force yourself to mess up some other part. Honestly the autoside step, the clue is in the name (hint: it starts with an A), should never be in the game period. Just another way to randomise your control of the player.

im not really understanding peoples problem with the dribbling aspect of this game. its the best its ever been as far as im concerned.

im not really understanding peoples problem with the dribbling aspect of this game. its the best its ever been as far as im concerned.

Well, it's just the fact that side-stepping and turning are two very different things. When you turn, you usually (in PES6) get more speed with you, and you kick the ball out longer. The sidestep is just a shimmy to quickly get out of the way.

In my book they are two different moves, and I don't see why KONAMI would automate the selection of them when we in the past have had R2 to hold when we want sidestepping instead of actual turning.

Also, the "call pass" in Fantasista doesn't seem to make any sense. In previous versions R2, when not in possession of the ball, just makes your player slow down with his speed of movement to more easily be able to screen players when defending. R2 has never made a player without possession sidestep or such in the past.

i just hate auto side step, it makes doing it too damn easy and make u always accidently doing side step . i guess too many freaking american players whinning that it's too hard to perfom move and score so they decide to tone it down and make everyone superior to the game, that's the only way they can win over the american gamers. everything is too hard to score for them.

i just hate auto side step, it makes doing it too damn easy and make u always accidently doing side step . i guess too many freaking american players whinning that it's too hard to perfom move and score so they decide to tone it down and make everyone superior to the game, that's the only way they can win over the american gamers. everything is too hard to score for them.

:lmao:
it's a japanese game! why would they sell a japanese version thinking us americans could read japanese! or god forbid, all american WE players know how to patch. sure, Konami listens to us yanks.
actually, i think the r2 sidestep was devastatingly easy in PES6.

Last edited:
it's a japanese game! why would they sell a japanese version thinking us americans could read japanese! or god forbid, all american WE players know how to patch. sure, Konami listens to us yanks.

Well, I think the main issue here is not whether or not something is easy or how the sidestep looks in terms of realism (as mentioned previously in the thread).

The point is that KONAMI doesn't allow us a choice of what we want to do.

In PES6, using only the d-pad makes the player turn his whole body when turning. HOlding R2 makes him sidestep, while maintaining the orientation of his body in the same direction.

But when KONAMI makes Side-stepping automatic, we no longer havr the choice between these moves. Now we are stuck with always having to sidestep when turning. I never see real players _always_ sidestepping when they turn. KONAMI seems to refuse to give us options of how we want to pass, move, etc. That is my problem. Sidestepping being too easy to get past people etc is a whole other issue. This is mainly a control issue.

sidestep is back again...refined, varied, and semi-automatically intuitive!!!!

i'm sure you would have a thought something if he said the same about swedes.

but anyway, i for one feel the 'semi-automatic' sidestepping feels, looks, and plays fine. it doesn't happen all the time and the animations are more varied, and it's based on the situation at that instance. it looks more natural. it's as if they refined it. nothing wrong with bringing something back if it's refined.

it's like in PES2008, they say a player will look before he crosses the ball. it was in PES3, but missing in the later versions. i know, because i mentioned it years ago.
it's good, because it's aesthetically pleasing to see.

you could still conjure up the R2 sidestep, but it's more cumbersome to pull off than in PES6.

Last edited:

my point is that with the r2 you would never accidently perfomce a side step move, for example in we9 anytime u press the d pad 90 degree then the player automaticly do side step whether u want to or not.

sidestep is back again...refined, varied, and semi-automatically intuitive!!!!

that's fine, there's just no need to diss us 'yangese'.

"you could still conjure up the R2 sidestep, but it's more cumbersome to pull off than in PES6."

I'm not sure I am following.

In PES5, it didn't matter if you pressed thed-pad 90 degrees on it's own, or together with R2. The player did the same thing: A sidestep.

PES6 had the choice for 2 different moves: The player turning his body, which made for a more forceful turn where you got more speed with you. Using R2 made the normal "dribble Sidestep" that happened in PES5.

So which is it? Is there a difference between turning 90 degrees with R2 and without it? Is it possible to turn 90 degrees without having the player sidestep all the time?

In other words (if you have been with PES for that long); Is it the same case as going from PES4 to PES5 (PES4; Normal turn, With R2 Sidestep - PES5; Sidestep regardless of R2 usage).

Or does the player do another kind of sidesterp when turning with and without R2?

Perhaps you can pull up some posts on here from Americans whining about the game being too difficult or perhaps you can show us some basis for your assumption that somehow American gamers get to lobby Konami to implement changes!!!

Or perhaps you could suggest a sensible point...

Well, looking at the videos from WENB for J.League 2007 CC, there is definately no auto side-step. Players frequently turn 90 degrees without sidestepping.

i use R1 button to completely turn and it works quite well .. sincerly the dribbling system ( in my opinion) is the best so far

totally agree

I think there has been some missunderstanding about this aspect.

The animations for dribbling are definately the best in PES so far.
I have just seen some videos, but sidesteps look alot better, and they carry themselves alot better.

The issue here is that the threadstarter made it seem like They had gone back to the PES5 movements where the player would always sidestep when you tried turning. PES6 went back to the PES4 movements, where the player would turn normally when using the stick, and sidestep when you used the stick + R2. If you have played both PES5 and PES6 extensively you know what the difference is.

But, I've seen videos, and you see players turning like in PES6 (in other words, they aren't constantly slowly sidestepping every time you turn 90 degrees. So the complaints the threadstarter have seem unfounded. I was critical in the beginning because I took him for his words, since I haven't played the game myself, it being a Japanese release. ;)

someone CONFIRMED this for pes 2008?

i hated the players constantly sking in pes 5.

:(

From what I've seen there doesn't appear to be constant sidestepping ala PES5.

Certain players will do the Drogba move when you turn 90 degrees. But it seems like you can turn 90 degrees without having the player sidestepping all the time (or atleast not in the PES5 sense where the sidestep was "technical" and very slow).

I read tons of posts about the automatic sidesteps before PES5 and they had me worried. Then I played the game and the whole thing was no big deal at all.

I read tons of posts about the automatic sidesteps before PES5 and they had me worried. Then I played the game and the whole thing was no big deal at all.

I understand what you mean. Problem is that the sidestep in PES5 was very unrealistic with the player sliding with his feet. This is one thing they seem to have worked alot on in new PES, which means the sidestep is slower and more realistic.

Also, regardless of what you feel of it, it is always better to have the option to do either a normal turn (d-pad direction) or sidestep (d-pad direction + R2) rather than the game forcing your hand. Since R2 was configured in the past specifically for making the Sidestep turn (PES4 had normal turning with d-pad and sidestepping with d-pad + R2) it doesn't make sense to assign sidestepping to both [d-pad direction] and [d-pad + R2].

If they would insist on doing it ala PES5, then atleast add some new variation to the R2 turn so that there is some variety.

But as it seems, no need to worry, we can probably do both a normal turn or a sidestep depending on what the situation calls for (speed or technique).

Last edited:
hi, i lost my old ID...

i agree with trance allstar, whats missing is CONTROL, i want my player to do what i want, not what CPU wants.

but it's konami guys. now they make it auto-sidestep so in next version they will receive full compliment when they make it manual-sidestep again. just like always.

just like old time with that stupid cross and then fixed em in the final version. or like X pass in WE9 that act like a /\ pass, and fixed it in WE10.

why don't konami fix another issues that have been existing from previous WE series, like 1st touch pass with L1 (lob tru pass or lob manual pass), or how players act when receiving high ball (they come forward to receive it with head instead of moving backward to receive it with foot).

sometimes i feel like konami always does this in purpose: so people will buy the next/final version of the game. coz WE has no rival (fifa sux, everybody here admits).

just my 2 cents :)

1 more thing (i write this in a new post coz it's a different thing), i feel like in this WE version, i can't run in 22,5 degree in my 1st running from walking. i must run 45 or 90 degree for 2 touch of the ball before i can make 22,5* run. anybody feel the same?

Back
Top Bottom