A case for full manual

The main reason I don't use assisted is because it makes the game absolutely shit, you may as well just play PES.

I'd actually say PES is better than assisted FIFA because there are less "sweet spot" guaranteed goal shots and it's harder to ping-pong pass everywhere and the PES defending system is better.

Any goal (apart from free kicks) on manual is far more skilful than any assisted goal... In a manual game earlier I belted in a 25 yard shot into the far bottom corner and it was a great feeling (maybe what some people call an "ego boost"), contrast that with a 30 yard strike in off the bar I scored on assisted against a mate on his PS3 (he uses assisted) and it just felt so dull in comparison yet it was a "better goal" in the sense that if both were in a goal of the month competition in real life, the 30 yard goal would win every time.

I agree with Radiation/Rodelero in pretty much everything they say - in short, assisted gives too much assistance to the point that no matter how good you are at manual, you will never be able to play like you can on assisted and this is the main problem with FIFA at the moment (along with pressuring being too effective)

On the subject of "ego boosts" if that's what people like to call them... isn't that why people play games?...
People play shooting games to get satisfaction/"ego boosts" from shooting people in the head.
People play football games to get "ego boosts" out of scoring goals and playing good football.
People play racing games to get "ego boosts" out of making nice overtakes, winning races, doing faultless laps and beating friend's lap times etc.
etc... this sort of thing can be said about any type of game.
And Rodelero said it perfectly - what a few people in here consider an "ego boost" is just a sense of achievement, well said!

Last edited by a moderator:
The main reason I don't use assisted is because it makes the game absolutely shit, you may as well just play PES.

I'd actually say PES is better than assisted FIFA because there are less "sweet spot" guaranteed goal shots and it's harder to ping-pong pass everywhere.

Any goal (apart from free kicks) on manual is far more skilful than any assisted goal... In a manual game earlier I belted in a 25 yard shot into the far bottom corner and it was a great feeling (maybe what some people call an "ego boost"), contrast that with a 30 yard strike in off the bar I scored on assisted against a mate on his PS3 (he uses assisted) and it just felt so dull in comparison yet it was a "better goal" in the sense that if both were in a goal of the month competition in real life, the 30 yard goal would win every time.

I agree with Radiation/Rodelero in pretty much everything they say - in short, assisted gives too much assistance to the point that no matter how good you are at manual, you will never be able to play like you can on assisted and this is the main problem with FIFA at the moment (along with pressuring being too effective)

On the subject of "ego boosts" if that's what people like to call them... isn't that why people play games?...
People play shooting games to get satisfaction/"ego boosts" from shooting people in the head.
People play football games to get "ego boosts" out of scoring goals and playing good football.
People play racing games to get "ego boosts" out of making nice overtakes, winning races, doing faultless laps and beating friend's lap times etc.
etc... this sort of thing can be said about any type of game.
And Rodelero said it perfectly - what a few people in here consider an "ego boost" is just a sense of achievement, well said!
EXACTLY. I love my ego boosts.

I think its simply about me being a football fan who wants to replicate the game as it is.
YouTube - Argentina v Serbia Montenegro - 2-0 Cambiasso SBS Tyler

This goal by Argentina is one of the all time great goals. The reason being? Its so hard to pull off. On Assisted its fucking easy to replicate this goal meaning its not so great. Do it on manual and its as great as it is in reality.

I actually find it difficult to find Semi or Manual players on Ranked matches so may have to play the Assisted people who I don't want to play which is the problem.

If this were true then no-one I've ever met or talked to could 'jump to manual'. The advantages are too large with assisted to be countered by the added control of manual.

Assisted is fundamentally more effective than manual, and that is the true problem.
So what are you trying to say? That its almost impossible for a good manual player to beat a good assisted player?

Why call it an 'ego boost', which is a pretty cynical term for it. I'd call it a sense of actual achievement personally..
You can call it what you want cuz they both mean the same thing which is to feel good about yourself.

So what are you trying to say? That its almost impossible for a good manual player to beat a good assisted player?
Yes, 99% impossible due to the unrealistic nature of assisted.

You can call it what you want cuz they both mean the same thing which is to feel good about yourself.
As I said, that's why people play games... It's not really a bad thing.

Oh here is teh bomb shellz...

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/11566677-post234.html

Brilliant. Read his reply (to my thread - which I admit was a little over the top with the first line or so)... and then read his signature.

Game

Set

Match

Assists have to go. Can't win with it. Can't play with it. Can't do it. It's almost worth creating a whole fing thread over, just that one line, and the persona from which it comes.

Last edited:
I honestly don't have a problem with Assisted aslong as Manual or Semi players can get to play the game the way they want in all ways. At the moment that's not the case.

I think EA should widen the angle when pressing the shooting button on manual. Right now you have to like 10deg from pressing forward to be able to slot the ball into a hard spot for the keeper and anything more than that will be a goalkick. why not make it +/- 45deg as the striker would be concentrating on the goal itself not the whole field. This would hopefully give manual an advantage over others if and only if they making assisted less perfect that it misses due to its automated nature. This should be like: want to score, do it yourself!

I think EA should widen the angle when pressing the shooting button on manual. Right now you have to like 10deg from pressing forward to be able to slot the ball into a hard spot for the keeper and anything more than that will be a goalkick. why not make it +/- 45deg as the striker would be concentrating on the goal itself not the whole field. This would hopefully give manual an advantage over others if and only if they making assisted less perfect that it misses due to its automated nature. This should be like: want to score, do it yourself!

No, no, no! a 90 degree angle to aim at?!? That should be how assisted is set up.

No, no, no! a 90 degree angle to aim at?!? That should be how assisted is set up.
But obviously when you press left -on assisted- when you are on the left side of goal the ball goes to the left side of the goal! On manual it should go way wide. Well, no one going 1on1 vs the keeper would want to aim at the corner flag!! Shooting is made for one reason that is scoring goal.

I don't mind 90/50/70deg shooting range but the whole thing needs to be revisited with a different approach rather than something that makes us shoot in a 20 degree angle!!

But obviously when you press left -on assisted- when you are on the left side of goal the ball goes to the left side of the goal! On manual it should go way wide. Well, no one going 1on1 vs the keeper would want to aim at the corner flag!! Shooting is made for one reason that is scoring goal.

I don't mind 90/50/70deg shooting range but the whole thing needs to be revisited with a different approach rather than something that makes us shoot in a 20 degree angle!!

If I wanted to aim at the stands behind the goal and still score I'd play with assisted settings.

People can play on assisted all day long if they want.

But they need to give the people that play on Manual more. They have done it with the filtering online which is brilliant. If they didn't have that I would never play randoms online again. But they need to do it with clubs aswell and they need to let you do a mixture so you can have semi passing and the rest manual for example.

But they do need to give you more points or achievements when using manual, then people will want to get those achievements and then they will use manual, see that it is better....then they will stick with manual and all will be good with the world :DD

But they need to give the people that play on Manual more. They have done it with the filtering online which is brilliant. If they didn't have that I would never play randoms online again. But they need to do it with clubs aswell and they need to let you do a mixture so you can have semi passing and the rest manual for example.

But they do need to give you more points or achievements when using manual, then people will want to get those achievements and then they will use manual, see that it is better....then they will stick with manual and all will be good with the world :DD

Exactly. The current 'ego boost' is only generated by us at the moment. EA need to encourage assisted players (most of whom don't even know that manual exists) to try and stick with less assisted controls. This needs to be done by giving manual/semi players several trophies/achievements and bonus points/VP attributes so there is an incentive for people to move across to our world.

I was playing all manual with semi passing last night - bloody hard because the CPU is an assisted twat, but oh so satisfying when you win. I'm great in the first two thirds of the pitch but thatfinal ball is currently eluding me.

Grow up. People can use what they want.

In some respects that's true. But can people filter for only manual controls in clubs and all other modes? No. So while you can pick whatever option you want, when you come to play the game you find that most are assisted/semi players who have an almost 'cheat like or aimbot like' advantage over manuals. Manual players are treated like ginger haired step children when it comes to the online game modes.

This dilemma can be resolved with one simple move by EA....have separate leader boards for assisted, semi & manual...case solved. The truly technical players would be acknowledge in the manual section (and more players would be up to the challenge of learning to play on all manual).

BINGO we have a winner...

One thing though, which i pray happens, is even though in clubs we cant filter out yet, we can invite clubs for a game. So if someone compiled a list of clubs who are made up of 90% manual/semi players, that would help that.

Its easy to simply suggest that manual players need an advantage but how would you go about it?
The only thing I can think of is if the power bar is removed from assisted players so that their range and options for passes are a lot more limited than for a manual player.

I'll be honest, I thought most of my options were on assisted but it turns out I was playing on semi for pretty much everything. I turned on assisted for shooting, went into the arena and aimed a shot at the bottom right corner. The shot went to the left. :LOL:

If I wanted to aim at the stands behind the goal and still score I'd play with assisted settings.
If I wanted to make shooting harder for no apparent reason I'd play with manual. Actually, I do play with manual most of the time but there really isn't any advantage out of it! Just a smaller angle for the goal and the ability to hit the corner flag!!:FAIL: Unlike racing games for example where you get a serious advantage if you could master manual controls.

I <3 corner flag.:P

Its easy to simply suggest that manual players need an advantage but how would you go about it?
The only thing I can think of is if the power bar is removed from assisted players so that their range and options for passes are a lot more limited than for a manual player.

You scrap the current laser guided assisted passing setup and replace it with one that is based on manual passing. Make assisted passing equivalent to being a good manual passer, with the inaccuracies directionally and in terms of weighting that you'd expect from a manual passer. By making a fundamental change like this everything else about the game has room to balance, like one of those picture slide puzzles.

What do you mean? You want assisted passing to randomly mess up every now and then to simulate the difficulty of using manual passing?

In all fairness, it is absolutely pointless trying to convince anyone either way. I've tried in other forums and more or less failed.

I understand peoples frustrations with manual but I would definately not go back to playing with assisted settings. Personally, I couldn't think of a more boring way to play the game. Each to their own though.

Oh it just gets better and better.

"If manual players want to abolish assisted, or make manual more beneficial then assisted....lalalala off please. Not many people want to play manual, why reward people for being better (or more likely just wanting to play it because manual players really aren't any better then assisted players) at what most think is a chore? It'll just lead to a leader board full of manual players and it will take the game away from the people. "

These people. I cannot actually believe how thick they are.

"It'll just lead to a leader board full of manual players and it will take the game away from the people. "

So manual players aren't people now?
I don't think idiots like that even think before they type, though to be fair they're probably too busy dribbling down their t-shirts and screaming at their mum to get them a drink.

---

If you can find where those idiots live Rodelero do your worst and I'll swear blind you were with me all week long at all times.

Last edited:
What do you mean? You want assisted passing to randomly mess up every now and then to simulate the difficulty of using manual passing?

Yes. It's only fair. At the moment assisted passes are unbelievably accurate; in PES (which is assisted-only) the passes at least have an uncertainty built in which slow the gameplay down.

Read one of my ridiculously large posts in the FIFA 11/12/13 thread for what I think. We obviously can't get rid of assisted passing, so we should at least cut the gap so that manual players and assisted players are actually playing the same game.

Back
Top Bottom