Windows 7

Technically yep. Unless someone finds a workaround to disable the date check ...

Oh right. But if the beta ends and the retail version isn't out then we'll all have to go back to XP/Vista!? That would be stupid, surely? :THINK:

no there will be other beta / release candidate versions out by then, that we will be able to use before the final release version is out.

I expect a release candidate version out by april / may.

Got it today off Usenet, they're still issuing Keys from the MS site so no worries there, reasonably positive impressions from it, reminds me a lot of Vista which is definitely not a good thing as someone who prefers XP64, also don't like the fact that Skype 3.9 won't work with it so I'm having to use the vile 4.0 :(

which build did you download?

there has been a build leaked onto usenet since the beta was released. it is version 7022 (beta was 7000) and has 2 months more work than the beta had.

perhaps skype 3.9 works with that latest leaked version?

edit: here's what paul thurrott had to say about 7022:

While Microsoft is severely limiting the number of prerelease Windows 7 builds it provides to beta testers, reviewers, and the public, it is providing a steady stream of interim builds to partners and these builds often find their way out into the real world. Such is the case with Windows 7 build 7022, one of two post-Beta builds that have escaped Redmond's iron curtain since the beginning of the year. Indeed, build 7022 is the first build I've seen that was actually created this year: Remember that the Beta (build 7000) dates back to early December 2008.

As you might expect of an interim build of a product that was deemed feature-complete months ago, build 7022 doesn't include any major changes. But it does have a few small UI tweaks that become obvious after mousing around the system even for just a few minutes. For example, HomeGroup picks up a new icon (it used to be a house, and is now more unique looking). The weird expanding task list from previous versions of the Control Panel is gone, replaced by a less animated and duller-blue rendition. There are a few other small changes as well.

Barring any unforeseen issues, I'll be using build 7022 going forward so I hope to discover some additional changes. And of course I'm looking forward to the true release candidate (RC) build, which I expect to see around April. There's little doubt that other interim builds will appear between now and then.

Last edited:
"going forward"

:BRICK:

Does my head in that, why does everyone think they're cool using that phrase now?

Back on topic, I'm very happy with W7 still. Definately be keeping with this OS and will check out the RC.

i appreciate that, which is why i run 64bit vista, but windows 7 is still in beta stage.

surely it makes more sense (with beta software) to go with the latest build, regardless of whether it's 32 or 64?

i would say in this case it defo makes more sense, especially due to there being more configuration/software issues with 64bit OSs (although, having said that, 64bit is slowly catching up).

What you say is true, but the fact it was an unofficial leak would give me pause for concern, especially as it's such an early beta where we expect to see regular official updates.

How do you know if you can run the 64 bit version?

if i can i guess its better to use that than the 32 bit one?

How do you know if you can run the 64 bit version?

if i can i guess its better to use that than the 32 bit one?
check your cpu and see if its 64bit.

yes its better then 32bit in a way in which in allows you to run more things in other words. 32bit is limited to use only 3gb of memory for example.

64-bit is only worth running if you have 4GB of memory though due to the way is uses the RAM I believe.

In order to minimise (or minimize) Windows Live Messenger 2009 to the system tray (which is not enabled by default on Windows 7), browse to the application folder and right-mouse click on msnmsgr.exe and select Properties > Compatibility Mode and choose Windows Vista. Restart the program and voila!

:)

My laptop has 4gb ram and it detects all 4gb of it even though I'm running a 32bit version of Vista. Is that supposed to be possible or have I misunderstood something?
And how do you check if your CPU can do 64bit?

I've got 4 German Bread Rams - and 64 bits of Chocolate. Are you saying if I only had 32 bits of chocolate that I wouldn't see one of the Rams?

Who would've known that Chocolate and Rams were so interlinked?!

Basically if there was no chocolate in the world - then we wouldn't see any Rams - so there would be lots of invisable Rams in the world. Just running into people and bumping them in their arses?

I'm glad we have chocolate - a world without chocolate would be chaos!

woohoo!!

64-bit (leaked) version of build 7048 is now available at all the usual outlets!

build as of 4th march 2009 :)

edit:

here's a quick snippet from paul thurrott's site:
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_7048.asp

seems like you can actually 'remove' internet explorer similar to the normal 'add/remove' of other programs...

Last edited:
Anyone tried installing a new build over their existing build?

woohoo!!

64-bit (leaked) version of build 7048 is now available at all the usual outlets!

build as of 4th march 2009 :)

edit:

here's a quick snippet from paul thurrott's site:
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_7048.asp

seems like you can actually 'remove' internet explorer similar to the normal 'add/remove' of other programs...

doesn't remove completely. Actually it can't even be called a removal. IE is glued to the Windows system. Better yet, it's an integral part of Windows.
It's basically hiding exe's

i have Windows 7 on my pc

Describe in one word ) gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Very cool

i just installed the latest build.

seems much much better - alot more fluent. this one defo feels like a release candidate!

anyone pondering whether to install or not - DO!

Back
Top Bottom