UK
Manchester United
well pretty simple question i want your top 5 for me its

1 - Barcalona
2 - Manchester United
3 - Juventus
4 - Liverpool
5 - Tottenham

1. Barcelona (Henry, Abidal, Toure, Milito)
2. Bayern (Ribery, Klose, Toni, Jansen, Sosa)
3. Liverpool (Torres, Babel)
4. Juventus (quantity, really)
5. ManU (Nani, Anderson)

1. Feyenoord (their buys have made them serious title-candidates)
2. Bayern (Champions league winning potential, if only they were playing Champions league..)
3. Juventus ( Retained stars, some smart buys and a bunch of bosmans, immediately competitive again)
4. Barcelona
5. Fenerbahce.

Nominee for worst spenders: Liverpool ( So much money for average players, 18 milion euro's for Babel :lmao:)

hard to say until they've played a few games. Last year I'd have said Chelsea.

you're right, but in the meanwhile we could judge the economical aspects of this calciomercato (the title of this thread is quite appropriate "who spent the best").

just to make an example, real till now made a good buy (saviola for free) and a "bad" buy (pepe for 30 millions), liverpool made an exellent buy (babel for 11 millions), while i'm not so sure they paid a fair price for torres... ect...

p.s. could anybody tell me how much did bayern spent for ribery and how much chelsea spent for malouda? :)

edit:
18 milion euro's for Babel
are u sure mate? coz i read on this forum it was an 11 millions deal. :)

Bayern just bombed Bremen in the League Cup with 4:1
Altintop, Ribery 2x, Schweinsteiger. Awesome to watch already.

you forgot to mention that bremen played without Naldo, Diego, C. Alberto, Jensen, Hunt, Klasnic and Almeida...but yeah, Ribery was awesome, as was Altintop, surprisingly.

lol cmon i cant believe people arent saying united , i put them second to barca only cause of a french superstar , hargreaves , nani , anderson ,and possibly tevez around 80 M

lol cmon i cant believe people arent saying united , i put them second to barca only cause of a french superstar , hargreaves , nani , anderson ,and possibly tevez around 80 M

You're only saying that because you're a United fan, people don't believe spending 50M on two youngsters with not much experience in huge games is a good move. And they also don't believe Hargreaves is a world beater

Either way, I can't believe Vlad19 put Liverpool at the top, 23M for friggin Torres? are you f*cking kidding me!? :lol:

and they've been fleeced for Babel as well

You're only saying that because you're a United fan, people don't believe spending 50M on two youngsters with not much experience in huge games is a good move. And they also don't believe Hargreaves is a world beater

Either way, I can't believe Vlad19 put Liverpool at the top, 23M for friggin Torres? are you f*cking kidding me!? :lol:

ok you think im saying that just cause im a united fan, well ok let me show you why i think we have bought good ,hargreaves was for me Englands best player of the world cup , also if people remember that a season Ballack was scoring goals for fun and that was thanks to Hargreaves providing the defensive duties , ok i agree with Nani & Anderson being risky buys but no one can doubt thier talent and with Scholes & Giggs to learn from i think with time they'll be good players and Carlos Tevez well you just had to look at his form at the end of the season 7 goals in 9 games ok i understand he went on a run of something like 19 games but that was cause ne needed time to adapt and for me he will bang in goals for fun at united :)

hargreaves was for me Englands best player of the world cup

That's like saying 'it's the best smelling piece of shit' though.
Hope I'm proved wrong about him but I don't think he's that good really. United have made a big gamble on Nani and Anderson, too.

I'd say Bayern have spent the best. That squad will win them the league next year.

That's like saying 'it's the best smelling piece of shit' though.
Hope I'm proved wrong about him but I don't think he's that good really. United have made a big gamble on Nani and Anderson, too.

I'd say Bayern have spent the best. That squad will win them the league next year.

are you serious , i think hargreaves will become a key member of our team i dont see much of a gamble with him at all but bayern have bought well but the champions league is what you want to be in and there not:)

Fc Videoton
Avenir Beggen
FC Vaduz
Valur Reykjavik
Jeunesse Esch
LA Galaxy

gerd is always on the sly baby, i love it. In pure economic reasons, LA galaxy have spent the best, hands down. They already have made back the $250 million they spent. The other teams in the league are profiting from it as well. Here in washington our baseball team does not have one sellout this year, but they sold out the same stadium for when becks comes.. Now again mind you, im talking pure economic reasons... not footballing

i dunno about alot of people but i would love to see Man Utd V Barcalona this season simple because of the attacks of both sides as a united fan i wouldnt be wanting to face probably the best attack in the world but for a netruel i think it would be amazing

£20.2M, which is a bargain for that player. Torres has played on a mediocre team in a top league for a long time. I have no doubt if he'd been rolling in Holland with PSV his scoring tally would've approximated that of Ruud van Nistelrooy. He's about the best way to blow £20M that I can think of. Babel is quality and even if he takes time to develop, what's gonna happen, do ya think? He'll be 24/25 and his value will be much greater. Now if you spend £18M on Nani, if he doesn't work out too well, you wont be able to make much of a profit on him. Liverpool's investments simply seemed a lot safer. They also got some wing creativity in Benayoun, a proven premiership commodity, and bought Lucas from Gremio, who promises to develop into another great versatile midfielder.

Liverpool basically addressed their one glaring deficiency - offensive prowess - and with, in my opinion, one of the best young strikers around. Barca bought prestige with Henry, but they didn't struggle much with scoring goals, so he's not that much of an improvement. Abidal is already 27, so questionable to spend so much money on him. Yaya Toure is eminently unproven.

As far as Man U, if Anderson and Nani light up the fuse and there's fireworks going on in Old Trafford, you might take the top spot. But it's definitely true that Man U took big risks, while Liverpool and Bayern went for buys that have a very high likelyhood of successfully improving their teams.

Last edited:
£20.2M, which is a bargain for that player. Torres has played on a mediocre team in a top league for a long time. I have no doubt if he'd been rolling in Holland with PSV his scoring tally would've approximated that of Ruud van Nistelrooy. He's about the best way to blow £20M that I can think of. Babel is quality and even if he takes time to develop, what's gonna happen, do ya think? He'll be 24/25 and his value will be much greater. Now if you spend £18M on Nani, if he doesn't work out too well, you wont be able to make much of a profit on him. Liverpool's investments simply seemed a lot safer. They also got some wing creativity in Benayoun, a proven premiership commodity, and bought Lucas from Gremio, who promises to develop into another great versatile midfielder.

Liverpool basically addressed their one glaring deficiency - offensive prowess - and with, in my opinion, one of the best young strikers around. Barca bought prestige with Henry, but they didn't struggle much with scoring goals, so he's not that much of an improvement. Abidal is already 27, so questionable to spend so much money on him. Yaya Toure is eminently unproven.

As far as Man U, if Anderson and Nani light up the fuse and there's fireworks going on in Old Trafford, you might take the top spot. But it's definitely true that Man U took big risks, while Liverpool and Bayern went for buys that have a very high likelyhood of successfully improving their teams.
how can you say torres is proven and toure is not? Milito? Abidal
27??!?!? Son that is a great age to get a player, they can get a good 5 years out of him, maybe more. Torres and babel are just as big of risks as nani and anderson. Morientes didnt do so well for liverpool now did he? Is torres that much better then morientes? Morrientes scored more goals last year in spain and he didnt exactly light up anfield. I think the liverpool serioulsy got raked over the coals for torres. Nani is definatley a proven talent in portugal, how you can say babel is more of a proven talent is beyond me. bayern your right, they definatley made the best proven player signings. Klose, toni, ribery, i agree with you %100 on bayern.

Well, I wasn't counting Milito since he was a rumour last time I checked, if it's been finalised, then that is indeed a good signing.

Yaya Toure has never played in a top league, thus unproven. Torres is definitely a much better known quantity since we've all seen him play for his national team and for atletico. The similarities between torres and morientes are that both are spanish and both have the first name fernando.

I didnt say Babel is more proven than Nani. I said if both have a hard time at their new club, Liverpool may still be able to make profit on £11M, whereas ManU are unlikely to reocup the full £18M in the same situation. Thus, for ManU, Nani HAS to work out, whereas for Liverpool, all that Babel needs to do is be decent and their investment will pay off.

Well, I wasn't counting Milito since he was a rumour last time I checked, if it's been finalised, then that is indeed a good signing.

Yaya Toure has never played in a top league, thus unproven. Torres is definitely a much better known quantity since we've all seen him play for his national team and for atletico. The similarities between torres and morientes are that both are spanish and both have the first name fernando.

I didnt say Babel is more proven than Nani. I said if both have a hard time at their new club, Liverpool may still be able to make profit on £11M, whereas ManU are unlikely to reocup the full £18M in the same situation. Thus, for ManU, Nani HAS to work out, whereas for Liverpool, all that Babel needs to do is be decent and their investment will pay off.

umm league 1 is not a top league.... you lost me there. now i cant take anything you say seriously... oh yeah and torres and morientes have alot in common, as players...

Torres isn't proven. If anything, he's proven over his many years in Atletico that he's inconsistent, misses plenty of chances as well as penalties and has a reputation as big as Pele! but not the current ability to back it up! Reputation is what it is. In terms of ability, he wasn't even one of the best La Liga strikers as he's shown in the past couple years and that's just one of Europe's finest leagues.

Atleti of course is the biggest profiter from all the over-the-top, inflated media hype that's been surrounding him since his mom gave birth to him, by making the best deal of summer in selling him for huge truckloads of cash and using that to further make their squad stronger by buying a direct replacement who has proven to be more clinical and a better finisher for much less money already and still have more in the bank for other additions. You can't go around calling Atletico a mediore club either. That's just wrong. This is a team where the two best Spanish left-backs have to compete for ONE place. The same team where Argentine Internationals like Luciano Galleti never got a consistent run in the first team due to quality like Maxi Rodriguez being there and ultimately got pi$$ed off as a result and moved on.

Atletico has a very good squad and has had that for a few years now and is a big club. They've under-achieved in recent years due to a number of reasons and Fernando Torres is actually one of them. I also heard the transfer was for 28M!!! Not 23 or 20M which makes it even more risky! As far as I can see, apart from Atletico & Liverpool officials, nobody truly knows what the correct amount is. Everyone else and websites similarly seem to be rather speculating.

He will get you 13-17 goals or so but that's only because he'll get 60-70 great chances to score from and only take a small percentage of them. 14-18 goals sorta statistic may impress some people who don't watch him and just look at the stats. But if you've watched him week in week out for years, you'll actually be disappointed with that figure considering the amount of chances he has to score from and how many minutes he played each season at Atletico. If you don't believe me or haven't watched him that regularly yourself, go look at his OPTA stats or whatever else you can get your hands on. His ratio of shots on TARGET isn't good, and neither is goal conversion out of the many shots taken and even worst and very mediocre-like when you look at ratio of goals to number of minutes played (in a team that created a LOT Of chances!)

The only thing Fernando has proven over the past few years is that, while he's got $hitload of potential, his current ability is far from world-class and he's no better of a finisher than anyone else Liverpool already had. He's also proven that David Villa is by far the better Spanish striker and not even among the top 3-5 strikers in the league he's played in all his life since Diego Milito, Eto'o, Van Nistelrooy, Forlan, Villa among others have proven to be more consistent, deadly in front of goal and better than him over the past couple years.

As for Ligue 1 not being a top league and therefore any player coming from it being unproven :rolleyes: :lol:, then I guess Bobby Pires, Drogba, Heinze, Maicon, Evra, Malouda, Ribery, Abidal, Vieira, Essien, Mahamadou Diarra and the 100's of other current and past EPL, La Liga and Serie A stars (I'm not gonna list all because it'll take forever) players that have come from it iare all unproven and not quality :rolleyes:, yet someone who's got a huge rep like Torres but has never backed it up with consistent ability on the pitch, IS. :roll:

Top Ligue 1 playes being mentioned as "Unproven" is absolutely scandalous when you consider, so many NON-Ligue 1 stars go on to leagues like EPL and actually impress like they never did in France. Pascal Chimbonda being just one of the examples. Was playing in relegation-battler Bastia in France and never impresed that much either. Went to England and became one of their best right-backs. Ludovic Delporte similarly couldn't get into starting 11 of a French side but went to Osasuna and established himself as one of the league's best left-wingers and arguably best crosser of the ball after David Beckham.

--------------------------------------------------

Out of the EPL clubs, I'm not too impressed with anyone in particular to be honest. Many of them have spent BIG and splashed the cash big time but few have spent it wisely on quality proven players that will come and improve the squad IMMEDIATELY like Malouda will. Chelsea has spent well actually despite not splashing the cash as much as previous years in bringing quality players needed to further strengthen the squad NOW (as opposed to youngsters costing you an arm and a leg just so maybe they can prove to be good buys in FUTURE or over-rated unproven high-reputation players.

I'm impressed by recruits of Malouda, Beh Haim, Alex and Sidwell and if they can manage to keep Robben as well, it'll be a superb summer and huge improvement over current squad despite not spending so much. (Since two were on Bosman and Alex was already owned by Chelsea) and IF they manage to get Dani Alves (who is by some distance gonna be the best right-back EPL has and has had for awhile if he comes), then I'll be REALLY impressed with them and predict them to take the title back.

I do very much like the additions of Scott Parker and Julien Faubert (who unfortunately is gonna be out for 6 months :( but then will go on to establish himself as one of EPL's leading right-backs! ) and one or two more of the purchases of West Ham football club.
In other leagues, so far I like some of the transfers Feyenoord has made which will make them more competitive at Eredivisie level and of course you can't HELP but be impressed with the amazing signings of Bayern this summer whom I sorta wish were in CL because they have probably the best or one of the very best squads in Europe.

Barca has already added some very quality players to its already impressive squad as well.

So for me, to answer the original question, it's Bayern.
A club where even very talented youngsters who are already at Int'l level such as Marcell Jansen and Podolski have to sit on the bench at times and are by no means guaranteed a spot in the first team place!
Followed by Barca who has bought quality proven ALREADY great players (rather than youngsters) in Gabi Milito, Henry and Abidal and a very promising player in Yaya Toure who whether you want to call 'proven' or not, is already better than what Barca had playing that position in form of Thiago Motta or Edmilson and can become even better. I don't see the point of calling him 'unproven' when he's actually better than what Barca already had and all the La Liga DMF's right now apart from a handful. I actually believe that one year from now, we'll look back and conclude that Yaya was Barca's best signing this summer and not Henry whom I agree, is so far, Barca's most 'Un-needed' transfer and not likely to be as useful and add to the squad as much as the other 3 key additions in my opinion. But hey, at least, they didn't spend THAT much money on him and got him for a relatively good price so I think he'll be a decent buy as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom