UK Internet Provider

Next day mate, I couldn't connect until the day after the activation date.

Turns out Sky are still testing my line, and should be done by Sunday. They better sort it out as it's getting ridiculous now, I'm getting 0.61 Mb/s!!!

BT said I couldn't get above 4mb where I was, I moved to O2 and I get around 9-10mb usually...silly billys.

Where do you live Tim? underground?

I know Bob, feels like it! Checking my router stats and looks like Sky have set my download connection to 768 kb/s?! I can only guess it's part of their testing stuff. Come Sunday if it's still really slow I'll be ringing up and kicking off at them.

Been on Sky BB for a couple of months now - its been great. On activation day it went live early in the afternoon I think? We were told we could get between 12 - 18MB in our area. The first day it was around 2MB and every day for the first ten days, it went up about 1MB every day. It fluctuates between about 12 and 16MB now which I'm more than happy with.

1462843936.png

Been on Sky BB for a couple of months now - its been great. On activation day it went live early in the afternoon I think? We were told we could get between 12 - 18MB in our area. The first day it was around 2MB and every day for the first ten days, it went up about 1MB every day. It fluctuates between about 12 and 16MB now which I'm more than happy with.

I have the same estimation as you and Id settle for that you are getting! Getting 5MB at the min, day 2 of the 10 day testing

I'd settle for that :LOL:. Currently on the phone to Sky to sort mine out as we speak! I'm still getting 0.6MB/s. If they can't get it above 1.4Mb/s then I can cancel with no penalty apparently.

Sky changed the router settings I think and now I'm on 1.1MB/s. Still not the minimum 1.4 they estimated so I'll be ringing them again tomorrow!

Jammy bastad!

Sky are sending 2.3MB/s down to me but I'm only getting about 1.2MB/s actual speed. Never mind, it'll do for now. Xbox Live works fine and so does everything else.

I've moved house and had Virgin forced onto me by the landlord and I'm having problems with my supposed up to 30mb internet.

1561805655.png

Yesterday I tried to watch/stream a five minute SD video and twenty minutes later it still hadn't finished downloading.

When I restart the router (numerous times) it works fine initially but eventually it resorts back to the above.

On Thursday when it was installed I was getting 10mb + download and 3mb upload, that's no where near 30mb but it's an improvement.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar, including Virgin capping you during the evening?

I tried another website,

71146277.jpg

Either way, my internet doesn't feel fast at all.

How much do you get on speedtest with the ethernet plugged in?

If you get the full 30MB (well mine's more like 28MB) it's your settings on your router that are restricting you. I can help you if it is as I experienced similar problems.

In the day I get about 25MB, at night/early morning (off peak) I get about 28MB.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've tested the PC downstairs (ethernet),

1562171648.png

What are the settings that I need to change?

Last edited:
Login to the admin panel by typing 192.168.0.1 into your browser on laptop connected. username is admin password changeme (unless you've changed it)
On the screen that comes up click advanced settings, on the left menu click wireless settings, change upto from 300 to 145 also change channel from auto to a number. I suggest channel 13. Save settings and reboot it.

Keep trying different channels if it doesn't work.

I have had loads of problems with the so called superhub too. I've had people round a few times, new superhubs and all the say is they can't guarantee wireless speeds.

Maybe those powerline network thingys are worth a try? These days you can get a pair for around £40 and they're supposed to carry 200Mbps, about to try some myself so that my Popcorn hour and 360 are no longer on wireless as I would prefer better file transfer speeds to both which an ethernet connection will provide :)

I've never heard of those before, will look into it.

There's loads now and they all seem relatively reliable and certainly offer speeds better than wifi if not quite matching ethernet speeds, they are apparently much more stable connections which is important, I'm losing connection to the EA servers and/or Xbox live quite a lot these days which is annoying :(

A couple of the models I'm currently looking at:

TL-PA211-01.jpg

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-PA211#fea
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/tp-link-av200-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-review/

And
310YF%2BRVW8L.jpg

http://dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=P...95806691854&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB/DLWrapper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003L78F6U/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

They're both somewhere between £40 and £50 for a pair.

Back
Top Bottom