UEFA Euro 2008 - Austria Switzerland

Yeah, but what are we talking about here, really? The money ManU, Real, Chelsea, Barca and whatnot are benefiting of are no percentual parts of a big pot or something, we're talking about TV-money, and as long as there are some gurus willing to pay a single club(!) shitloads of money, there's nothing some UEFA or FIFA executive can do about that. That's all happening on the national level! (Some rich russian buying a club is the same, since nobody can claim to get a part of his cake, of course.)

If I'd be rich and would decide to create my own TV-channel, call it Bayern Munchen TV and stuff a billion Euro up the clubs officials asses that's my cup of tea.

Main thing is the Portuguese league AND clubs are still SHIT Spitfire, thats even funnier! God bless the ENGLISH Premiership getting all of your good players! (You might get to see Ronaldo playing in a Benfica shirt one day, when he is 32!) :lol:

Do you call SHITE clubs like Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Braga, Boavista and Nacional? Well I think your memory is too short. Man Utd was very very lucky when they won at our home stadium, we played better football than your team, but we're playing with a different team and a different coach. It's not the same Benfica of 05/06 season. And at the Old Trafford we domininated the first half but we couldn't hold the result.
In the end, we're playing in the UEFA Cup, and you? Where did you played last year ago? UEFA Cup Winners' Cup? Oh no, that one is extincted! :lol:

And I'm not jealous of The Premiership, because of your league, your national team is PURE SHITE! 3 Main competitions such League, Cup and Carling Cup and do you think that your players have hearts and lungs to play for England? Don't make me laught please! :lol:

You win this one El Diego..

But...

look at the budgets of the average English Premiership club and look big clubs like Porto...
Belgian (not a coïncidence of course) European MP Ivo Belet just proposed a European law that there should be an internal solidarity system among European clubs...i.e. that the television money should be divided in a fair way...i think his proposal has passed the vote in the European Parliament (yesterday).
Now i know that clubs like Real Madrid, Man Utd, AC Milan...will laugh at that but in the end they loose this argument (cfr. Bosman) and then there will be fair competition. Clubs like Porto, Ajax, Celtic and who know maybe even Belgian clubs like Anderlecht could become European giants...

What i'm saying: considering the big budgets English clubs are underachieving (i've been saying this consistently on this forum and i'm not very well liked for it).

I don't think they will lose this one, what television money are you talking about as the CL money is dived equally isn't it? If so is this a Uefa problem or a broadcaster problem. If its a broadcaster problem then that would be resolved by certain broadcasters not showing unimportant games.

If you are talking about league money then how the hell can that work. A team in the EPL gets 30 Million a team in the SPL gets 1 Million, how is this going to be effected.

I agree with you here in some respects when you talk about certain EPL teams underachieving in Europe in recent years. I think the fact this year could provide us with a couple of teams in the semi-final and even possibly the third year in a row with an English finalist shows that the underachieving is coming to an end.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what are we talking about here, really? The money ManU, Real, Chelsea, Barca and whatnot are benefiting of are no percentual parts of a big pot or something, we're talking about TV-money, and as long as there are some gurus willing to pay a single club(!) shitloads of money, there's nothing some UEFA or FIFA executive can do about that. That's all happening on the national level! (Some rich russian buying a club is the same, since nobody can claim to get a part of his cake, of course.)

If I'd be rich and would decide to create my own TV-channel, call it Bayern Munchen TV and stuff a billion Euro up the clubs officials asses that's my cup of tea.

Yes there is something that can be done about tv money actually, it's called a collective deal for the tv rights of an entire league.

Though the collective deal should really be collective and not that the big clubs still get a bigger slice of the pie.

Yes there is something that can be done about tv money actually, it's called a collective deal for the tv rights of an entire league.

Though the collective deal should really be collective and not that the big clubs still get a bigger slice of the pie.
Hear hear.

The leagues I watch wouldn't be the same if even one team disappeared, and the less money is shared the less chance there is for the smaller teams. Everyone loves the story of a smaller club signing a great manager and becoming successful; unless the money is shared between all teams and all levels, then I honestly can see a Super Premiership coming, featuring just ten (super-rich) teams and no promotion/relegation, with all of the lower leagues and teams just disappearing.

Who would want to be the chairman of a club when half of your team's fans disappear to watch their favourite Super Premiership team, leaving you with bigger and bigger debts to pay to the players/backroom staff/physios/stadium owners and everybody else involved with the club, and witness every half-decent player that you develop run off to become Mourinho's newest reserve star?

That last bit happens already, so we're almost there now...

I don't think they will lose this one, what television money are you talking about as the CL money is dived equally isn't it? If so is this a Uefa problem or a broadcaster problem. If its a broadcaster problem then that would be resolved by certain broadcasters not showing unimportant games./quote]

CL money isn't divided equally...the year Porto won, the clubs from the big leagues who did not came further then the group phase, in the end got more money than Porto...that isn't a fair let alone equal way to divide money.

Broadcasting companies do fall on EU legislation...football falls under EU legislation...in the end UEFA, broadcasting companies, big football clubs will loose this...it may take a while but in the end they will loose...just like the Bosman case...

Does the number of viewers affect tv money? Because I'm sure teams like Milan, United, Real Madrid and Barca get a lot more viewers globally than Porto did, hence more money.

No not the number of viewers,the higher the television rights, the more they earn...weather it is Man Utd or Watford (if they would play CL of course), Barcelona or Getafe, Lyon or Sochaux...perhaps it's different with Italian clubs because clubs like Milan, Inter and Juve have better deals than the other Italian clubs...but i don't think so.
But generally: Watford would earn more than Ajax or Benfica...has nothing to do with popularity...

Errrrr, getting away from all this talk, the Italy result was just a blip.

We're on our way to Euro 2008, we're on our way with Big Eck!! \\:o/ :mrgreen:

FD

In italy, according to the last law reforms, from 2010 on, there will be a collective deal, based on the team achievements in the last 3 years and on the "bacino d'utenza", wich is the number of people who constantly follow a team (this will mean an amazing economic boost for teams like palermo\\:o/ , napoli and fiorentina).

at the moment the system is based on individual deals (no rules) and this way big teams (milan inter and juve) share between themselves all the pie.... ehm, let's say the 80% of the pie.

i agree with what some of u guys are saying... there is a solution, a national solution (wich dosn't involves uefa, neither fifa): collective deals, with specific rules that establish the "sharing the pie" criteria.

i read an interview of andrea della valle (fiorentina president) last week. he said that until 2010 "scudetto" will be an honour reserved just to milan, inter or juve. but from 2010 on serie a will testify an historical revolution that will make he championship balanced as never before.

another big factor is "how big is this pie". serie a at the moment is paying the consequences of last year disaster (alias moggi-gate). we are not anymore an attractive investent -this also because premier, liga, ligue, and bundesliga are amazingly growing up (due to a wise management and great marketing efforts, more than football)-. A few weeks ago i heard the amount of money that watford is supposed to earn next year (talking about tv rights).... now i can't remember the exact amount, but it's huge!!

btw guys, why are we talking about this in this thread? :mrgreen:

EDIT: sorry FD, i started writing before you posted, so i couldn't notice you were taking us back on topic :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Errrrr, getting away from all this talk, the Italy result was just a blip.

We're on our way to Euro 2008, we're on our way with Big Eck!! \\:o/ :mrgreen:

FD

How times have changed you are happy to see Eck get a result. :p

Back
Top Bottom