UEFA Champions League Round 2 - General Chit-Chat

Gerd, I don't get it. What is your problem with modern day football?

Money has made it all so predictable.
There are only 5 or 6 clubs in Europe who can win the CL...
There are hardly any surprises...the competition is not fair.

Fair competition is conditio sine qua non for good sport...

Oh, and i love underdogs...

Don't worry mate, I love underdogs too :))

I disagree with the fact that it's become predictable. It wasn't predictable when Porto won it, nor when Liverpool won it in 2005. The Barca team in 2006 were invincible.

But yeh, as you can see 3 (and possibly 4) English teams in the last 8 does make it unfair on other countries. But I guess that's how it is now. Money talks....

I do agree with your points Gerd - I've followed United since the late 80s and a part of the soul went missing from my club when the Yanks took over (on top of many other things) which caused the birth of FC United. However, I will always adore my club and follow them through thick & thin. I also agree about the Celtic supporters being passionate - I have never seen such passionate football supporters myself BUT I have many Celtic "friends" where I live who constantly look down at the smaller Scottish clubs which annoys me. These "friends" of mine are very arrogant and think that Celtic were sent "by God" and no-one else matters just because they won a European Cup back in the dark ages and have dominated a very poor domestic league for the last 20 years where the standard of opposition (bar Rangers) just isn't very good, however much you try to dress it up. Of course, this has been said a million times by a million critics & pundits so lets not go over old ground.

ANYWAY, I don't think this is the place for this debate but I'd happily continue it elsewhere. :)

One last note: Who do you support Gerd?

Last edited:
I dunno Mike, I wouldn't say the soul of United has gone at all, yes when it was first announced that we had got taken over people were worried what might happen and to be honest not much has. but i can see what you mean. one thing is I'm not that old and starting supporting United in the mid 90's which is always used against fans of United cause thats when the success got going i can honestly say if United got relegated tomorrow i still would be getting excited on Fridays for Saturdays fixture which for me is enough to say the soul of the club:)

I've watched quite a few Celtic European games this year and I have to say the atmopshere has been flat to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, i think Liverpool fans are overhyped. Our league atmosphere is awful at the moment, but it was class non stop back in the days of the standing KOP.

The only time I've been impressed by Celtic fans and their atmopshere is in the Old Firm games, and even then that has its fair share of vile bigotry fuelling it. I think they sing YNWA better than Liverpool, but a higher capacity stadium does help.

Celtic dominate a poor league, but I agree with Gerd, they have more soul and passion than the Super wealthy clubs.

Plan M: who i support...well my favourite club was RWDM (the second team from Brussels). But a couple of years ago they were relegated from the Jupiler League to the lowest league in Belgium (8 divisions down !!!!) because they were bankrupt and because of tax problems... their "license" was bought by a second division team which was transformed in a club which is called Brussels. I will never have a crush on a club like i had for RWDM, but you could say i support Brussels.
But this season supporting Brussels is very, very depressing. They have a president that is an absolute dicator and a first class arse hole. Compared to him the late Jesus Gil (Atletico Madrid) was a softie. They lost all their sponsors because that president told one of his Congolese players to come out of his tree and stop eating bannanas (that difficult word again). On top of that they are last in a piss poor league...if Old Trafford is called the Theatre of Dreams, their stadium is the Theatre of Nightmares...
That is the team that i support Plan M, it isn't exactly a success story...but i like beautifull football, so i like teams that are playing attractive football and i love underdogs or fallen giants like Spurs. You could call me a turncoat fan, but certainly not a glory hunter...

Sorry to be off-topic.

Gerd:

I have ALWAYS had a soft spot for Spurs since I was a very young boy. My step-dad is a Londoner and supports Arsenal but when I was 10 him and his brother took me to Whitehart Lane to watch Spurs v Leeds. I LOVED the experience; their fans were brilliant. To this day I always look out for Spurs and their results. I watched them play PSV last night but to be honest they were quite poor. There is still something missing from Spurs but I'm sure Ramos will address whatever it is. :)

I also agree about the Celtic supporters being passionate - I have never seen such passionate football supporters myself BUT I have many Celtic "friends" where I live who constantly look down at the smaller Scottish clubs which annoys me. These "friends" of mine are very arrogant and think that Celtic were sent "by God" and no-one else matters just because they won a European Cup back in the dark ages and have dominated a very poor domestic league for the last 20 years
ANYWAY, I don't think this is the place for this debate but I'd happily continue it elsewhere. :)

rangers title over last 20 years
1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005
celtics
1988, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007

Fenerbahce mad me suprised after beating Sevilla at Spain. Before that match, I thought that Sevilla could beat Fenerbahce easily at Spain but the whistle starts, Fenerbahce played very well expect their keepers Volkan and Selcuk. Also, I can say that Massimo Busacca was at Sevilla's side first half. Especially he didnt mentioned Diego Capel's tricks. But Ugur Boral and Mehmet Aurelio played like a star player especially Ugur locked Jesus Navas and Dani Alves at their right side. Now, I think that Fenerbahce might beat everyteam in quater final if they play like that. As a Turkish citizen, I hope to see Schalke 04 and Liverpool against Fenerbahce so maybe they might qualify to semi final much easier than other rivals like Arsenal or AS Roma.

Good work Fenerbahce, very very well done. :applause:

rangers title over last 20 years
1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005
celtics
1988, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007

It all depends on the time span you take of course...but i'll humour you and pretend that Rangers is Scotland's biggest club...reread Plan M's post then and substitute "Celtic" by "Rangers"...

You've read it??? His point is that the Scottish competition isn't exactly the best in the world...it was not about which team is the best Rangers or Celtic...

I really hope that either Schalke or Fenerbahce reach the semis. I would also love to see Roma do well.

I was expecting big things from Sevilla, as they are one of my favorite teams to watch, but their defense cost them, didn't they.

Porto won it not so long ago so keep having faith :DD

Porto won it not so long ago so keep having faith :DD

That was great, but what happened with their players...they all went to other teams...in fact Porto was weakened...so, once again the big teams won, albeit without silverware...

I had hopes for this season, not winning but surelly put up quite a fight, but we were extremely unlucky against Schalke.
Schalke will probalby get hammered in a normal day by one of the bigs. what happened with Porto was a one game thing.
Of course I could be wrong, and I was so glad when RM got kicked out of the CL.
You were talking about teams that lost their soul, RM is surely on the front line.

I had hopes for this season, not winning but surelly put up quite a fight, but we were extremely unlucky against Schalke.
Schalke will probalby get hammered in a normal day by one of the bigs. what happened with Porto was a one game thing.
Of course I could be wrong, and I was so glad when RM got kicked out of the CL.
You were talking about teams that lost their soul, RM is surely on the front line.
Neuer was in top form unfortunately .

That was great, but what happened with their players...they all went to other teams...in fact Porto was weakened...so, once again the big teams won, albeit without silverware...
but still , Porto won more european cups than any french club even if there are many french clubs with more means than Porto . if you show sadness Lyon supporters will have to suicide :LOL:

Lyon was a team I used to enjoy watching play, but they have been going downhill coincidentally, or maybe not, with Juninho form.

I am hoping that Arsenal nails the title this season.

i think sevilla will win because their scoring ability is much higher than fenerbahce's. both teams' defence is only average in my opinion so it can be very funny tonight.

no arguments? typical behaviour of a fener fan.

i can do the same: CL - 0 points. do you get an orgasm now?

i said it before, the defence of both teams is very weak and it was clearly to see tonight but fener took advantage of it. now we will see how sevilla will answer in 2 weeks. dont forget that a 3:2 is much better for sevilla than 1:0.

every team?

all average keepers played above their level this week. yesterday it as volkan and tonight it was manuel neuer. neuer is only average in my opinion and i doubt if he ever will be world class.

?

thats why I said he is only average not a good keeper.

Allah aşkına bi baksana foruma... bütün yabancılar Fenerbahçeyi favori gösterirken nedense sadece sen ısrarla turu sevilla atlayacak demişsin... yada sadece isteğinin dile getirdin galiba... artık ezikliğiniz acınacak duruma geldi... bu rezilliği türk forumlarında fazlasıyla yapıyosunuz zaten... bari yabancı forumlarda yapıpta bizide rezil etmeyin.... en azından saygı gösterip susmayı bilin....

Sorry for Turkish.

Aslına bakarsan burada rezilliği sen yaratıyosun, Ernestito sadece kendi düşüncelerini yazmış, saygı göstermek gerek. Her hür insanın sahip olduğu gibi kendisininde hür düşüncünceleri vardır. O zamanki koşullara göre Sevilla'nın turu geçebileceğine inanmış, doğrudur zaten Türkler hariç tüm dünya Sevilla'yı favori gösteriyordu. Bunda bir fanatizm veya fesatlık aramak yanlış. Ayrıca binlerce yabancı üyenin bulunduğu bir forumda Türkçe mesaj yazmakta saygısızlık ve ayıp. Amacım seni yargılamak değil ama yıllardır bu forumdayım ve gerçekten bu aptal saptal saplantılar yüzünden milletin alay konusu olduk. Fenerbahçe'yi tekrar kutlarım, tarih yazmaya çok yakın ve ben bir Galatasaray'lı olarak o maçtan sonra bir Fenerbahçe'li kadar havalara zıpladım, sevindim. Eninde sonunda Türk değilmiyiz? Yıkıcı değil yapıcı olalım bence.

Sorry for Turkish again.

Plan M, i agree with you that some clubs like Inter and Chelsea are constantly bashed. Fener is constantly bashed because of the silly rumours about their transfers (and because it seems that a lot of our Turkish friends on this forum are so chauvinistic...).
About Celtic: i love them and i will always (irrationaly) defend them...to me the passion of the Celtic fans and players (even if they are not world class players) IS football...much more than the overhyped Liverpool Kop...
I'm gonna say something very irrationaly: Celtic alone has more soul, is more rock and roll than the twenty premiership clubs together. Man Utd used to have soul and rock and roll, now it's football's equivalent to TOTO and Bon Jovi...i still admire a player like Giggs (one of my all time heroes)but the institute Man Utd is becoming big artificial bullshit...and this from a former fan (oh and i'm sorry if i offend some real Man Utd fans, i respect your opinion about that club, but please respect mine too, thank you).
And yes Man Utd has a good chance to win this year's CL, but i won't change my opinion (which has changed theyear after the treble).

I will support Schalke this year, another club with tons of soul...but i would be equally happy if Arsenal would win...

Firstly this: I'm Turkish and like a lot Turkish people on this web I will say that we have respect for all clubs and nations for I start with this ---> It is not that the Turkish people are chauvinistic, it is because Turkish people are so proud of their nation and (on topic: for Fenerbahce for example) those supporters will die for the clubs and especially the nation that they support... It is not like in Western europe where we come from (Okey I'm Turkish from origin) but I know what is going here... The supporters here are nothing compared to those and I do not say this because I'm "chauvinistic" but it is the hard fact... The transfer speculation about fener is 90% going about the media... They blow it up like it will happin...

Last edited:
Sorry for Turkish.

Aslına bakarsan burada rezilliği sen yaratıyosun, Ernestito sadece kendi düşüncelerini yazmış, saygı göstermek gerek. Her hür insanın sahip olduğu gibi kendisininde hür düşüncünceleri vardır. O zamanki koşullara göre Sevilla'nın turu geçebileceğine inanmış, doğrudur zaten Türkler hariç tüm dünya Sevilla'yı favori gösteriyordu. Bunda bir fanatizm veya fesatlık aramak yanlış. Ayrıca binlerce yabancı üyenin bulunduğu bir forumda Türkçe mesaj yazmakta saygısızlık ve ayıp. Amacım seni yargılamak değil ama yıllardır bu forumdayım ve gerçekten bu aptal saptal saplantılar yüzünden milletin alay konusu olduk. Fenerbahçe'yi tekrar kutlarım, tarih yazmaya çok yakın ve ben bir Galatasaray'lı olarak o maçtan sonra bir Fenerbahçe'li kadar havalara zıpladım, sevindim. Eninde sonunda Türk değilmiyiz? Yıkıcı değil yapıcı olalım bence.

Sorry for Turkish again.

sorry for turkish...

baksana bu arkadas dısında tüm yabancılar feneri favori göstermiş... bu arkadasınki görüs olmaktan cıkmıs artık hakaret ve kasıt olmus... ben yabancılar anlamasında bari su rezilliğe bi son verelim diye türkce yazdım...

It is not that the Turkish people are chauvinistic, it is because Turkish people are so proud of their nation

All chauvinistic people will claim that they are proud of their nation...honestly i don't see how you can be proud of something so artificial and temporary as a nation...todays provinces are tomorrow's nations and today's nations are tomorrow's provinces...
I don't blame you, i don't want to offend you, i respect your opinion, but i don't get it...

Artificial and temporary? We call it passion. It is not matter if it is temporary or not. If you live in my country, you can understand me. Lets close this subject.

WAHEY. And we await the draw.

4 English teams, bound to through up some fesity ties. English teams are the only teams I fear....for some reason.

AC Milan
Real Madrid
Porto
Inter

Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Manchester United

:EASY:

A good year for English clubs! :applause:

Sorry for gibberish...

kunta kente karlrhue shakazulu kuku kholak basin mumbo jumbo