Top 50 Greatest Footballers by Position

When it will be continued, for the averages, and averages offensive attackers?
Right now I'm making the ranking of the Offensive Midfielders, until now I've already from 50th to 11th position done in my blog.

pls not forget to make a special trequartista list, maybe only 25 or 20 players
Is it about Second Strikers?, because I'm going to do an apart cathegory to them.

Last edited:
Already done the 5th list:

Top 50 Greatest Offensive Midfielders

This is the summary list, I posted the complete in my blog in Spanish with their respective descriptions (http://glavisted.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-50-de-mediocampistas-ofensivos.html):

Mediocampista+Ofensivo+50+Alain+Giresse.jpg
50 Alain Giresse (France)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+49+Andr%25C3%25A9s+Iniesta.jpg
49 Andrés Iniesta (Spain)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+48+Dragan+Stojkovic.jpg
48 Dragan Stojkovic (Yugoslavia)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+47+Glenn+Hoddle.jpg
47 Glenn Hoddle (England)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+46+Giancarlo+Antognoni.jpg
46 Giancarlo Antognoni (Italy)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+45+Frank+Lampard.jpg
45 Frank Lampard (England)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+44+Josep+Samitier.jpg
44 Josep Samitier (Spain)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+43+Paul+Scholes.jpg
43 Paul Scholes (England)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+42+Nicolae+Dobrin.jpg
42 Nicolae Dobrin (Romania)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+41+Rui+Costa.jpg
41 Rui Costa (Portugal)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+40+Steven+Gerrard.jpg
40 Steven Gerrard (England)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+39+Kak%25C3%25A1.jpg
39 Kaká (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+38+Larbi+Ben+Barek.jpg
38 Larbi Ben Barek (France)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+37+Bernd+Schuster.jpg
37 Bernd Schuster (Germany)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+36+Andrea+Pirlo.jpg
36 Andrea Pirlo (Italy)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+35+Bryan+Robson.jpg
35 Bryan Robson (England)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+34+M%25C3%25A1rio+Coluna.JPG
34 Mário Coluna (Portugal)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+33+Kazimierz+Deyna.jpg
33 Kazimierz Deyna (Poland)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+32+Ricardo+Bochini.jpg
32 Ricardo Bochini (Argentina)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+31+Gheorghe+Hagi.jpg
31 Gheorghe Hagi (Romania)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+30+Ademir.jpg
30 Ademir (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+29+C%25C3%25A9sar+Cueto.jpg
29 César Cueto (Peru)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+28+G%25C3%25BCnter+Netzer.jpg
28 Günter Netzer (Germany)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+27+Enzo+Francescoli.jpg
27 Enzo Francescoli (Uruguay)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+26+Francesco+Totti.jpg
26 Francesco Totti (Italy)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+25+S%25C3%25B3crates.jpg
25 Sócrates (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+24+Antonio+Sastre.jpg
24 Antonio Sastre (Argentina)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+23+Wolfgang+Overath.jpg
23 Wolfgang Overath (Germany)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+22+Alex+James.jpg
22 Alex James (Scotland)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+21+Johan+Neeskens.jpg
21 Johan Neeskens (Netherlands)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+20+G%25C3%25A9rson.jpg
20 Gérson (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+19+Paulo+Roberto+Falcao.jpg
19 Paulo Roberto Falcao (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+18+Josef+Masopust.jpg
18 Josef Masopust (Czechoslovakia)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+17+Xavi.jpg
17 Xavi (Spain)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+16+Michael+Laudrup.jpg
16 Michael Laudrup (Denmark)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+15+Nils+Liedholm.jpg
15 Nils Liedholm (Sweden)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+14+Valentino+Mazzola.jpg
14 Valentino Mazzola (Italy)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+13+Juan+Alberto+Schiaffino.jpg
13 Juan Alberto Schiaffino (Uruguay)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+12+Luis+Su%25C3%25A1rez.jpg
12 Luis Suárez (Spain)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+11+Raymond+Kopa.jpg
11 Raymond Kopa (France)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+10+Roberto+Rivelino.jpg
10 Roberto Rivelino (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+09+Gianni+Rivera.jpg
9 Gianni Rivera (Italy)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+08+Ruud+Gullit.jpg
8 Ruud Gullit (Netherlands)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+07+Zizinho.jpg
7 Zizinho (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+06+Did%25C3%25AD.jpg
6 Didí (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+05+Bobby+Charlton.jpg
5 Bobby Charlton (England)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+04+Zinedine+Zidane.jpg
4 Zinedine Zidane (France)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+03+Zico.jpg
3 Zico (Brazil)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+02+Michel+Platini.jpg
2 Michel Platini (France)
Mediocampista+Ofensivo+01+Diego+Maradona.jpg
1 Diego Maradona (Argentina)

casillas
2 champions league
1 eurocup
1 worldcup
1 best Gk on world cup
1 best GK in eurocup

Carlos Puyol
1 eurocup
1 world cup
2 champions league
best centerback in 11 of worldcup, of champions league, fifa 11 selection...

I know this is all a matter of opinion and my knowledge of football pre-90's isnt very, but Gerrard rated higher than Scholes and Iniesta? Thats very debateable. I guess you can argue that Iniesta is still young but Scholes is very highly rated alongst other players all over the world. He's a real player's favourite.

EDIT
And going back to a previous list, Terry above Puyol?

I know this is all a matter of opinion and my knowledge of football pre-90's isnt very, but Gerrard rated higher than Scholes and Iniesta? Thats very debateable. I guess you can argue that Iniesta is still young but Scholes is very highly rated alongst other players all over the world. He's a real player's favourite.

I agree with that.
Gerrard should not be in this list.
Neeskens should be in the list with DMF.

Some players i miss:
Scifo (highly debatable)
Rivelino
Socrates
Zico
Roberto Baggio
Rivera

and for me personally:
Giannini (but objectively, he doesn't belong here).

All in all good work...like always.

lol who actually thinks that Scholes is better player on his position than Gerrard?

This list is not about what this players achieved mostly..becouse one thing is individual skills, greatness and the second here is their trophys.. this are best players in their positions..

i agree Scholes is fantastic player, won a lot of trophys, but would you pick him in his best years over Gerrard in his best years...? i wouldn´t

Anyway Glavisted, what about Dalglish? is he not good enough to be on that list?

Dalglish was a forward.
About Scholes and Gerrard.
Scholes is much better. Gerrard won a (freak) CL and that's it.
The fact that a player has won much silverware does matter for important players.
To me Gerrard is nowhere near the 50 best players ever in his position.
Of the current players in England Lampard, Fabregas, Yaya Touré, Modric and Scholes are (currently or in the long term) better in less or more the same position.

Touré, Vander Vaart and Modric are currently better players. Lampard and Scholes are better in the long term. Sometimes Essien plays in the same postion and i think he's also better than Gerrard in that position. On top of that Essien is far more versatile than Gerrard.

Of course this is my personal opinion. But to me Gerrard is one of the most overhyped players in the modern game. He is a good player but far from exceptional. I remember Standard playing against Liverpool in order to go to the CL. Standard narrowly lost in extra-time of the away leg (and frankly Liverpool were the luckier team). In both matches our Steven Defour was better than Gerrard. Defour is far from being in the abover list...and arguably Gerrard is better than Defour, but not by much IMO.

Last edited:
i reacted that way becouse i think the list is OK.. my first top 4 is the same as Glavisted.. the rest all players were amazing and deserve to be there..

Dalglish was a forward.
About Scholes and Gerrard.
Scholes is much better. Gerrard won a (freak) CL and that's it.
The fact that a player has won much silverware does matter for important players.
To me Gerrard is nowhere near the 50 best players ever in his position.
Of the current players in England Lampard, Fabregas, Yaya Touré, Modric and Scholes are (currently or in the long term) better in less or more the same position.

Touré, Vander Vaart and Modric are currently better players. Lampard and Scholes are better in the long term. Sometimes Essien plays in the same postion and i think he's also better than Gerrard in that position. On top of that Essien is far more versatile than Gerrard.

Of course this is my personal opinion. But to me Gerrard is one of the most overhyped players in the modern game.

my post was about the skills of players..the greatness etc, not what they have won..some of the players on list won less than Gerrard maybe, did Totti ever won CL? i doubt..but he is great player and deserves to be there..

i talk about Gerrard being best english player of last 10 years, leader, consistent and keeping medicore team achive trophys as CL, 2. place in 2007, FA Cup, and more trophys won in first years..

maybe individual trophys would be better to look at for the individual list´s of players as source..

I don´t say Scholes is bad player...i just don´t think he is better as Gerrard if we could both pick one of them in their TOP FORM and best years.

Scholes individual trophys:
Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year (1): 1992-93
Premier League Player of the Month (4): January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010
PFA Team of the Year (3): 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07
Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02): Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade
English Football Hall of Fame Inductee: 2008

Gerrard individual trophys:
FWA Footballer of the Year: 2009
PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2006
PFA Young Player of the Year: 2001
PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2001, 2009
PFA Team of the Year: 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
FA Premier League Player of the Month: March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009
Liverpool top goalscorer: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09
UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2005
UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match: 2005
UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2006, 2007
FIFA/FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008, 2009[98]
FA Cup Final Man of the Match: 2006
Goal of the Season: 2006
England Player of the Year: 2007

Ballon d'Or
2005 – 3rd

Others
Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE): 2007
Honorary Fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University: 2008
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award 3rd place: 2005

Xavi : "Paul Scholes! A role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him."

Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Tony Adams : "I really rate Paul Scholes, because he hasn't got the high profile of many of the Manchester United players, he doesn't get too much attention, but he is one very good player. He is an intelligent player, he works hard and he scores some great goals. He is not flamboyant and is a quiet lad off the pitch but he is a tremendous asset to Manchester United and to England. He has already got my vote as player of the year."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Sam Allardyce : "There is not a better midfield player in the world."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

Ray Wilkins : "I'm saddened because I think we as spectators, not only in this country but right through out Europe and the rest of the World, will be missing one hell of a footballer."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who's the best english player : "Paul Scholes."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Peter Schmeichel : "Still the best player in that United midfield."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

Michael Carrick : "Paul Scholes is just fantastic. When you play alongside him, you realise what a special talent he is."

Michael Carrick : "He is a legend and he's going to be remembered for a long time. Just to play alongside him and learn from him has been an absolute pleasure. I think he is a footballer's footballer; he has been at this level for so long. As long as he is part of us we always feel we have a chance. We appreciate the way he goes about his business. I have never met a character like Scholesy; certainly not someone who is that good."

Park Ji Sung when asked by the club’s official home page which United player he would like to see in the red shirt of the Taeguk Warriors : “It has to be Paul Scholes.”

David Beckham said that, among his teammates at Real Madrid, which included Zinedine Zidane, Raúl, Ronaldo, Luís Figo and Roberto Carlos, Scholes was the most admired opponent : "He's always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me 'what's he like'? They respect him as a footballer, and to have that respect from some of those players is great."

Brian Kidd : "Paul Scholes had the best football brain I'd ever seen in a kid. Let's face it. Paul Scholes is in a class of its own."

Rio Ferdinand : "I can honestly say Paul is the best player in the England squad. For me he is the complete player."

Rio Ferdinand : "For me, it's Paul Scholes. He'll do ridiculous things in training like say, "You see that tree over there?" - it'll be 40 yards away - "I'm going to hit it". And he'll do it. Everyone at the club considers him the best."

Phil Neville : "Paul, for me, is the best player in the England team. It worries teams. Speak to any other international team and they will single Paul out as England's key player. For me, he doesn't get the full credit that he deserves. He is a world-class player and deserves to be up there with the likes of Zidane and Figo."

Gary Neville : "I wouldn't swap Paul Scholes for anybody. He is quite simply the most complete footballer I have ever played with. He is the best."

Gary Neville : "Paul Scholes is the best player I've ever played with. There's talent in every part of his game."

Steve Bruce : "He's the best player in Britain in my opinion and he has to get himself fit just before we are due to play at Old Trafford. I cannot pay Paul a bigger compliment than to say that he's the most complete footballer in the country. The best bar none."

Roy Keane : "An amazingly gifted player who remained an unaffected human being."

George Best : "To be honest I think England have lost their best player. Certainly he's the most consistent and naturally gifted player we've had for a long, long time."

Sir Bobby Charlton : "I am sorry for England because they don't have any player like him. You can talk about others but there is no one else like him. He is the best technical player England has without any question. He could have had a lot more caps if he had carried on. And if I was the manager he would have ended up with more than I did – easy"

Sir Bobby Charlton : "He’s always so in control and pinpoint accurate with his passing – a beautiful player to watch."

Sir Bobby Charlton : "Paul Scholes is my favourite player. He epitomises the spirit of Manchester United and everything that is good about football."

Sir Alex Ferguson : "Very few players can do that, but Scholes is one of them - and I knew he was one of them. That's why, without question, I think Paul Scholes is the best player in England. He's got the best skills, the best brain. No one can match him."

Sir Alex Ferguson : "He has an awareness of what’s happening around him on the edge of the box which is better than most players. As a kid he always had a knack of arriving in the penalty area just at the right time, but he’s proving just as effective from outside the box because he’s using his experience in the right way. It doesn’t matter who I am thinking about bringing into my midfield, Paul Scholes will be included, as he would in any side in the world."

Sir Alex Ferguson : Sir Alex Ferguson gave evidence in court on behalf of one of his former trainees and listened to the prosecution barrister's list of United's top players.

"You've missed Paul Scholes - and he's my best player," Ferguson chided her.

Last edited:
Not really that post is pro Man U and Pro Paul scholes and highlights how he's so admired around much of the globe and largely by former United players/legends like Schmeichel or current players (Carrick, etc.) or SAF... all who are biased but of course all are actually saying the truth in my opinion cuz Scholesy is just brilliant!

But I'm sure somebody could collect a big list of all the people that have spoken positively of Gerrard too and publish it.

The list on its own doesn't end this comparison but is of course a testament to the LEGEND that is Paul Scholes.

And by the way, I for one, am one NON-Liverpool fan who WOULD pick Gerrard at his prime over Paul Scholes at his prime.

Both are amongst the best players I've ever seen though (and not over-rated, can't agree!) and love them both. Plus I don't think they should really be compared, they were different players though they did play similar positions.

Intelligence wise, for me Scholes is one of a kind. He's super smart, and understands football like few other players.

But Pace and power, size and height and general athleticism, Stevie G takes it of course.

I think comparisons like this shouldn't happen to be honest. There's just very little point. Let's just agree that both were and still are phenomenal players, legends and will forever be remembered.

I'm sure somebody could collect a big list of all the people that have spoken positively of Gerrard too and publish it.

THIS

Aboutreika, to give quotes, that are half from United players and managers etc..is like if i would ask Kenny Dalglish what manager he considers better, if Ferguson or Bob Paisley...I don´t want to argue, just maybe make a pool who would you pick in top of his career between this two and count in the neutral guys woices..

There is realy many forums about this two players..
http://www.caughtoffside.com/2008/0...vs-manchester-united-legend-scholes-vote-now/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A33725775
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/13/zinedine-zidane-steven-gerrard-liverpool
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1377651
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_better_Gerrard_or_Scholes
http://forum.football.co.uk/about15118.html

one quote for ending this:
"Scholes has been surrounded by many class players throughout his career, such as Roy Keane.Gerrard has had to cope with Biscan and Cheyrou for Gods sake!"

Imagine Gerrard in United team of Scholes...what would he do.
Imagine Scholes in Liverpool´s team of Gerrard...what he would achieve..

the rest is up to your imagination..

one quote for ending this:
"Scholes has been surrounded by many class players throughout his career, such as Roy Keane.Gerrard has had to cope with Biscan and Cheyrou for Gods sake!"

Imagine Gerrard in United team of Scholes...what would he do.
Imagine Scholes in Liverpool´s team of Gerrard...what he would achieve..

the rest is up to your imagination..

Not that all this discussion matters that much, but for argument's sake.

If you agree with that quote and you also think silverware has nothing to do with being an all-time great, well then you will certainly agree with me that Matt Le Tissier should be in the above list, no? Oh and i can name dozens of similar players...players who are great but were badly surrounded...players who stayed with their favourite clubs but never won anything.

Let's end this discussion before we hurt anybody's feeling (or to be fair: i give the Gerrard fans the chance to reply) and let's all agree that we disagree and that both Scholes and Gerrard are underestimated players (but Scholes much more of course :P).

Anyway, have a good day.

If you agree with that quote and you also think silverware has nothing to do with being an all-time great, well then you will certainly agree with me that Matt Le Tissier should be in the above list, no? Oh and i can name dozens of similar players...players who are great but were badly surrounded...players who stayed with their favourite clubs but never won anything.

yes, this is how it should be in individual awards.. every player should be judged and get the award, becouse every player has specific job on pitch.. why there is no golden ball for keepers? why?? becouse they don´t score goals?

why did someone win the Golden ball for having good run in world cup (Cannavaro), and others for whole year? (Messi, not Xavi, Iniesta..) Many said Messi won becouse of his skills.. that is attacking skills, but why is there not a Golden ball for defending skills, for goalkeeping skills??

if there was somewhere a better player than he should be on the list...but mostly best players are not so loayal to their clubs whole career like Totti, Scholes, Gerrard etc.... Scholes is undoubtly a great one..but it is true, he won the things he won becouse whole United was a machine.. Gerrard many times had to play on his own with 2 - 3 players and other were not so great.. imagine how LFC is playing without him even in his best days..

football is a team game, there is no space for individuals and therefore no reason for individual awards, as the whole team is 11 players and without the 10 Messi would do nothing etc.. but if there was a list of best teams - specific teams, i would say OK, that is something more reasonable.. but for me any awards are not important.. there was to many great players who did something in their smaller teams and never get recongised..

If Giggs was playing for England his whole career, they might won the world cup...just for example.. and if they did, would he be higher in rankings of wingers - as if he were with Wales winning nothing but being himself? an amazing winger?

also another fact is that the list of Glavisted are made with players who are still active besides players who ended their careers and maybe some of them are not living anymore..so i think it´s not good to add still active players there..After Scholes retires, Gerrard might win something or have his goals ratio higher etc.. he is still 6 years younger than him..

And i wouldn´t compare non active and active player also becouse if i should compare anyone´s career, for this, best thing is something like points in NHL, for goals, assists, minutes on pitch etc..but Hockey is less complicated than football and there can be a fantastic player without having to score goals or so..but he was very usefull for his team..

it´s a debate for long time...

Last edited:
There's no doubt in my mind. When you hear stories of the Galacticos asking Beckham, soon after he had joined Real, what it's like to play alongside Paul Scholes, Xavi calling him the best central midfielder in the last 20 years, Xabi Alonso saying he would be valued more if he played in Spain, Zidane calling him the best midfielder of his generation etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom