The TV Show Thread

I thought the 3rd Episode was an incredible piece of story telling and

giving one of the main characters of the beginning of a game a back story.

It is implied in the game that even before all the woke shit, that Bill was gay with Frank.

I thought it was actually a really good emotional episode, which did an amazing job of again building the world rather than completely focusing on action.

This is a TV show not a video game where you actually need lots of action and stuff to happen.

My Mrs who I am dragging through watching this, thought it was incredibly emotional episode as well and to her was by far the best episode of the series.

I personally think they haven't done anything wrong as yet and still don't know how they are going to finish the story of the 1st game in the remaining 6 episodes, when they are taking it so slowly at the moment.

Just watched ep 3 of TLOU and it blew me away, the story telling was one of the best ive seen in a long time.
Heres the thing, i havent played the game, which im pretty glad for, the amount of nit picking on details (not just here but elsewhere) is pretty tiresome,
its called adaptation, it happens on every script taken from a book or game or play.
"uuuh she had shorter hair in the game...uuuh its not realistic vs the game" type of outrage, and not to mention some reactions to this episode containing

two guys loving each other...

So a great fucking series, wouldnt expect anything else from HBO, but still blows me away.
And like i said, pretty fucking glad i havent played the game beforehand.
Cant wait for the rest

Heres the thing, i havent played the game, which im pretty glad for, the amount of nit picking on details (not just here but elsewhere) is pretty tiresome,
It entirely depends on a person tho.
I have played first one twice and finished second one only recently. And I love it.
Every single thing they changed so far was actually a good addition. Not sure if I want to spoil you what are the major things they changed so far, in case you'll want to play the game, but scientifically they make sense and are great from story telling point of view.
Im actually glad that they are expanding a bit, while working with the game producers, as both series and game complete one another.

I just hope they not gonna rush it, coz this is only the beginning of their long and exhausting journey and they have 6 episodes left. Its the journey that changed the characters and led to the ending of part one. So I hope they will make it signifficant enough to justify what happens next. From both games perspective.

I think the changes they made have been brilliant and needed for it to be changed into a TV drama rather than an survival horror/action game.

They definitely hired the right writer for the show - The person who Chernobyl which is easily one of the best TV shows in the past 5 years if not of all time.

Like Emroth, I just really hope they don't now start rushing the story.
Although at the moment, what I can remember (and probably wrong) they have so far covered about 4/5 hours of the game into 3 episodes - So there is only 20 hours of the game left in 6 episodes, so it seems that the pacing seems to be bang on at the moment.
I would also think that there is going to be more episodes over an hour long, as so far both episodes 1 & 3 have been around 1h 15m.

I suspect the next episode will be the next part of the game, with the episode ending with them on the way to Pittsburgh or getting to Pittsburgh.

I also kind of wished that I replayed the game before the TV series came out, but the Part 1 remake hasn't come down in price to the point I would buy it AGAIN, and the PC version isn't released until early March which is what my play preference would be.

It entirely depends on a person tho.
I have played first one twice and finished second one only recently. And I love it.
Every single thing they changed so far was actually a good addition. Not sure if I want to spoil you what are the major things they changed so far, in case you'll want to play the game, but scientifically they make sense and are great from story telling point of view.
Im actually glad that they are expanding a bit, while working with the game producers, as both series and game complete one another.

I just hope they not gonna rush it, coz this is only the beginning of their long and exhausting journey and they have 6 episodes left. Its the journey that changed the characters and led to the ending of part one. So I hope they will make it signifficant enough to justify what happens next. From both games perspective.
might be another season?
Will deffo play the game, hope they don fuck up the pc version like the buggy Days gone that keeps crashing constantly

Last edited:
A second season was confirmed a few days ago, which is great but I have to admit it does worry me when decisions like that happen so soon in a series' deployment (because it's entirely based on money, not quality, and I always worry it'll negatively impact the quality):
they pretty much always do that, renewal mid season if thev ratings are good, even though plans were set for a season two beforehand, ratings matters

I would be very interested if they renew for a 3rd season, where they would take the story without the source material.
I dont think thats gonna happen.
They might cover 5 year gap between part 1 and part 2 and make it second season, or they might stretch part 2 into two seasons. I dont think they will go beyond games timeline.
Chernobyl writers are too good. They keep it on point.

As for episode 3 that I just finished - one of the best episodes of any series I have ever seen. It just keeps getting better.

They have all ready stated that Season 2 will cover the Last of Us Part 2, but this is a longer game, so they could split the game into 2 seasons with the Season 2 being the Ellie parts and Season 3 being the Abbie parts.
Although I would prefer they would Game of Thrones it and just show 20 mins of what each character is doing every week, as think that would work better on TV than the 2 parts of whats going on being different Seasons.

I am really enjoying so far and hope they don't mess it up, the only downside at the moment - Is I just don't feel Ellie, but hope this will change. (I think her character is different to the game and also think it was a bit of poor casting)

Although I would prefer they would Game of Thrones it and just show 20 mins of what each character is doing every week, as think that would work better on TV
Remember that there is also 5 year gap between seasons, partially covered in flashbacks. They could make this into season 2 and main story from part 2 into season 3.
So saying that they will cover part 2 - they could have been talking about flashbacks. It will be very hard for them to fit main story, flashbacks and everything in between. They also said that they would like to tell the story of
the mad cult and their prophet

As for showing both characters - its very tricky. Major part 2 spoiler ahead!

One of the strongest points of Part 2 was not knowing anything about Abby for big chunk of the story. She was just another villain.
Only later on, when we discovered her side of the story, we realised that there is no good and bad - just a fucked up world, full of fucked up people.
So I think the best way to show it on TV would be to follow just Ellie initially and then, later on, make a separate episode or two about Abby, before jumping into big conclusion.

Loved it. Bit of an abrupt ending, and 45 minutes doesn't seem anywhere near long enough now, but another absolutely fantastic episode. I've not been so hooked on a show for a long time.

Episode 5 and still going strong. Dont think there's a need to fear anymore.
These lads know exactly what they are doing and we can only hope that other creators will learn from that show.
Learn that there's no need to change much, that they need to stick to the overall atmosphere and vibe of the game.
I hope that God of War will follow next, although I have to say - I do enjoy Halo and Witcher very much (please dont shoot)
Rewatching Witcher now and after playing a game and reading books - I like the show even more than I did when I watched it first.
Apart from Blood Origin of course. That was fucking shambolic.

I was thinking the other day if this is a great show regardless of my game experience or without playing the games would this be another generic zombie tv show? And i dont have the answers.

I was thinking the other day if this is a great show regardless of my game experience or without playing the games would this be another generic zombie tv show? And i dont have the answers.
Most of my mates never played the game and love it. My wife and her mates - same. And a lot of her mates dont like any zombie shows.
In fact - many of my mates, who are my age or older - are buying the game now just to experience the "other side". And many of them havent played any games for donkeys years.
So yeah - I think they nailed it.
They managed to bring something fresh that focuses on people emotions, while not going too far into soap opera.

With The Last of Us, I don't know if I really respect the fact that nothing is dragged out - friends watching it are like:

"He's found his brother already? That's crazy, I thought it'd be another series before that happened!"

It's nice to be treated like "hey, you're an adult, you're busy, you want to know the story, you don't want pointless filler, this is what happens"...

...but also, I sort of feel like the series is absolutely whipping by, and I feel like it maybe should have been padded out a bit longer... There are lots of instant transitions from place-to-place, or even scene-to-scene, where I feel like dialogue could have fleshed out the characters a little more. The ending of the most recent episode for example:

It felt to me like in the space of a minute, there's raiders, there's an attack, and they're off - but there's no conversation between Joel and Ellie about the attack, there's no emotional processing, there's no "go here, do this" from Joel, it's just - episode over there and then...

It almost feels like there's been some abrupt cuts due to episodes massively overrunning, in which case I'd rather get a Bluray of this, stop watching the TV releases and watch it "properly"...

Just me?

Afrer watching last episode I had a thought. Neil Druckmann was heavily involved in both series and the game and it made me think that maybe his plan all along was to make both game and series completing one another.
Just think about it - he is making solid series, full of emotions and very few filler episodes. And then people go "wow, I would like to see more of the world".
Well - you can. Just buy a game and have a blast. It would be a very clever strategy if that was the case.

As for the series itself - I would like every episode to be 90mins and season to have at least 10 episodes, but it doesnt feel rushed to me.
Maybe comparing to the game it might feel this way, coz their journey was quite long and in the last episode we had "3 months later" notification.
But Chernobyl creators like to keep it short and solid.

Personally Id rather this than another Walking Dead.

With The Last of Us, I don't know if I really respect the fact that nothing is dragged out - friends watching it are like:

"He's found his brother already? That's crazy, I thought it'd be another series before that happened!"

It's nice to be treated like "hey, you're an adult, you're busy, you want to know the story, you don't want pointless filler, this is what happens"...

...but also, I sort of feel like the series is absolutely whipping by, and I feel like it maybe should have been padded out a bit longer... There are lots of instant transitions from place-to-place, or even scene-to-scene, where I feel like dialogue could have fleshed out the characters a little more. The ending of the most recent episode for example:

It felt to me like in the space of a minute, there's raiders, there's an attack, and they're off - but there's no conversation between Joel and Ellie about the attack, there's no emotional processing, there's no "go here, do this" from Joel, it's just - episode over there and then...

It almost feels like there's been some abrupt cuts due to episodes massively overrunning, in which case I'd rather get a Bluray of this, stop watching the TV releases and watch it "properly"...

Just me?

I kinda agree. But the game is padded with a lot of fights and wandering arounds where Joel and Ellie are bonding. Not sure how you can translate that to a movie/show to make it entertaining. The tv show is more like watching the cut scenes only from the game.

I dont mind that much but considering they dedicated 1 hour from the 6 to the day to day life of Frank and Bill then its not to say it cant be done very well.
But at this pace i would not consider Joel making the right decision at the end. :LMAO: We would need more bonding between him and Ellie and more of showing the cruelty of humanity. That was the point of the game, the journey and their relationship completely justifying the decision of Joel. Also i really dont feel like Ellie is beyond everything and she has no purpose in life but being the vaccine at all costs. That should be another contradiction here that she is on that mission because of her past and she has no purpose to live and the only reason she believes Joel's lie in the end because he is accepting her as a daughter finally.

So far its an okay tv show, probably not gonna watch it again. But thats most of the tv shows for me...well besides sitcoms + The Midnight Mass.

Last edited:
@gabe.paul.logan - the first sentence in your game spoiler was something I wondered about myself.
We are missing a lot of the journey and we are missing a lot of bonding.
I suppose the only way to find out is to see what do people, who never played the game, say at the end.
My wife is gonna be the first judge when the time comes.

Great justice was done to the Left Behind dlc, fits perfectly to emphasize Ellie’s motive and very well acted and directed.

Still feel ep3 can be safely skipped and adds nothing to the story at all while the media claims it the best moment in television. Like how? Whatever. Once this season is done i would have watched another Last Of Us mini series called “diaries” or whatever, a season with a few unique episodes and individual stories. This should be part of something that rather.

Ouch this scene had no weight. Perhaps because this Joel did not do any cruel thing before this. So this was so out of character without any build up.

But damn Bella Ramsey knocked it out of the park. Especially during the showdown vs David. She is Ellie. Ill eat all my words i had against her.

But i still miss this masterpiece from the scene. Why the directors are not using one of the strongest asset of the game??? ☝️

So the most faithful adaptation was the giraffe part. And it hit hard. It was perfect.

Overall its too bad we ventured away from the source material most of the time. Many slight changes resulted in a completely different experience and story, characters.
Could have been perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't know what to say TBH about the Last of Us TV Show.

I would probably use the word disappointing to sum up how I felt about the show.

The game is all about the bonding relationship of Ellie and Joel, but I didn't really feel this from the show just their relationship grew during the 3 months later segment.

The show started so strongly with the first 3 episodes, with Episode 3 probably actually being the best episode of the series.
It was so heartfelt and emotional and they managed to do that in one Episode with Bill, but failed in 8 episodes with Ellie and Joel.

Then towards the end of the season it just never really got very action based and just became boring - Episode 7 (Left Behind) was so boring and drab I just wanted to turn it off and TBH was a waste of an episode which didn't really add anything to the main story.

The lack of action and infected in the show was also a huge miss for me, as being in near death scenarios would probably of made me care about the characters more than I did.

The best way to describe the show is it was MEH, a solid 7 out of 10 and there was just something missing from it at the end.

I was really looking for to the series and maybe my expectations were too high for the show to be amazing, with lots of emotion and action from the game, but it failed to really deliver both.

As for my Mrs who has never played the Last of Us or know anything about the game, except for me telling her that is was amazing and one of the best story driven games I have played.
She thought the show was poor, too slow and boring, she said when she watches a show, when it is a good show you are excited for the next episode and want to watch it immediately.
She never once felt like this during The Last of US and said it was just not very interesting and lacked any real emotion or suffering for the characters and in Episode 9, how was Joel almost dead got given a knife
and then somehow manage to fight loads of people?

I will watch Season 2, which they have stated they will make more changes to the story from the game - Will probably just have to wait 2 or more years for it.

Last edited:
I loved it, really loved it. My only complaint was that it was so rushed - give the relationships more episodes and there'd be a lot more understanding of their motivations and their views. But even the ending I loved. As for the missus, she loves it even more than I do, along with her friends/family she's convinced to pay for Now TV just to watch it.

I still haven't played TLoU2, and I've managed to avoid all the spoilers (so please don't spoil anything for me)... I've been waiting for a PS5 remastered version, but it doesn't feel like it's coming now. So I've no idea what's coming, but I'm looking forward to it.

I read an article yesterday where Druckmann said that the second game won't be rushed out in a single series - which makes me wonder why the first game was. Maybe they weren't expecting it to be such a hit...?

I read an article yesterday where Druckmann said that the second game won't be rushed out in a single series
Im afraid they are going to fuck up the whole story build up with this.
Like I said in previous post - the way they did it in game was great. If they spread the game into multiple seasons - I think they might lose element of surprise and slow discovery of the other characters.
2 seasons - yeah. Especially if second was a cover of a 5 year gap between games. Multiple - nah.. It might turn into Walking Dead fairly fucking swiftly.

As for the first season being part 1 - I think it was partially coz they didnt know if people will like it and were afraid it will be cancelled without closure.
And also - Chernobyl creators like to keep it short.

I still havent seen the final, so not sure how it ended.

Back
Top Bottom