The PC Building Thread

you'd be the first man carried a desktop pc across continents in human history:D

Yeah! I might get a briefcase with a secret compartment in it, with foam in it with the exact shape of a Processor, Mother board and Graphics card cut out.

Or a copy of the bible, but with the pages cut out inside to carry a Graphics card in it, or maybe the Torah might be better.

Actually I do have a serious question, Do you need to buy extra fans? or do they come with certain parts that you buy?

from my experience, one fan used to come with pc case usually.
but i'm not sure if it comes with every case.

and if i'm not mistaken, cpu cooler comes with cpu(if it's not bulk but box).

Last edited:
I nearly pulled the trigger and splashed out £850 on a mini ITX build yesterday, but then I started to think... The spec of the build would of been an I5 3570 with an 660 GTX and 8gb of ram. If I wait a few months wont the next gen consoles be of similar spec but at half the price? 7
Also, I think that I am right in saying that the next gen of Intel CPUs and Nvidia/AMD cards are also coming out around the same time as the new consoles. So is now a bad time to be spending close to a grand on a gaming PC? It would be quite painful to spend all that money and then all the components are put to shame both preformance and price wise later in the year.

Last edited:
The new Intel chipset is released in June with a 10-20% performance increase, and will be the same price.

As for graphics cards, both ATI and Nvidia have stated that they will not be releasing graphics cards this year, and will arrive around this time next year and will be a massive upgrade on what is out now.

You would save money buying a console but a console will be out of date the day it comes out, a PC evolves with a new GFX card. The PS4 stats look great on paper but the reality is they are using mid range AMD laptop processors and what is equivalent to a 7850 GFX wise + how long does a console last on average? I am on my 2nd PS3 in 4 years. ASUS and MSI give a 6 year warranty on their motherboards, as you know they use quality components.

Thanks for the reply. I have just priced up another mini ITX build:

Sapphire 7870 XT
8gb RAM
Samsung 120gb SSD
Seagate Barracude 500gb HDD

£850 ish

Im a little worried about the GPUs. Do you think its worth buying something like a 7850 and saving the money for a next gen card, or will the sapphire xt be good until the next gen cards come down in price? If the new cards are going to be that much better it might be better to wait, but are they going to be very expensive?

I upgraded my GPU last week from a Sapphire 7850 to a MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III and the jump in performance is considerable.

I was in two minds whether to bother as like bsmaff says, a new generation of cards from Nvidia and AMD are due to hit next year. However I just fancied an upgrade and after selling my PS3 and 7850 the new card didn't cost a penny (+ you get two free games).

@ Ern - if you can afford it maybe consider a 7950. They are priced very keenly now. Mine was £239 but I've seen them down to £225 just these past few days. With a bit of overclocking you can achieve 7970/680 performance for a very good price.

I have read that the 7870 XT's run very close to the stock 7950 and I dont think that I would be overclocking anything unless its super safe and easy. Also I just seen that Amazon have lowered the price of their 7870 XT to £177, which seems like a steal for a card that preforms at such a level.

Aria have got 3570k's on offer for just £160, its very very tempting to just dive in and order the stuff at these prices.

Last edited:
I can make you a 30m cable of cat6 if you are stuck

Sorry forgot to thank you at the time for the offer! In the end I found an Ebay seller that sold all three things I wanted so got them and now have it running nicely through my bedroom, got it and the speaker wires into plastic coving yesterday to tidy things up, makes the room look a lot bigger! And will be less for the new puppy to chew on when we get her :)

Have many of you guys seen the PS4 vids? How impressed are you with the graphics? I just seen the Kill Zone & Watch Dog vids, the opening of Kill Zone looked incredible but then when the gameplay starts it doesnt really look any better than what I have seen from BF3, Crysis 2 & Far Cry 3 maxed out, would you agree?

Last edited:
Not seen anything impressive yet, but considering Watch Dogs for example was a PC build running on PC no surprise, I'm sure down the line when we start seeing games taking advantage of PS4 specifics we might be impressed.

If those PS4 vids are running at 1080p/60fps then they are decent but we don't know the specifics yet. Nothing shown on the PS4 is beyond what a gaming PC can do now so personally I'm not impressed with what I've seen, it's about what I expected.

I won't be rushing back to consoles on that evidence.

It's never really about power with consoles vs PC though, its the catalogue of games which sometimes are exclusive to console gaming.

It's never really about power with consoles vs PC though
Why not?

BF3 for instance on a good PC puts the console version to shame, it's the case for most (if not all) multi-platform games with a PC release.

That might not matter to you, but it's an important factor for many people.

its the catalogue of games which sometimes are exclusive to console gaming.
Each gaming platform is obviously going to have it's exclusives. The PC has more of them but it's all personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PC has more exclusives that interest me. I'm into genres like racing sims, flight sims, strategy games and city builders. Consoles don't really cater for any of these.

I agree with you Rob, I own a PC and one of the benefits for PC user's is games that are available on all 3 (360/PS3/PC) platforms can be improved so much more than the 'out the box' experience console's offer however not everyone is looking to splash this amount of cash just for gaming purposes so if the choice is simply one of 'PC vs Console' and the PS3/360 has a series of games which they love (Forza/GT/Uncharted/GOW/GOW) then it makes sense for them to get a Console as they will also get to play BF3 just not in its best form.

though for some of us who have a PC and then decide to add a console of their choosing on top get to experience the best of both worlds. :))

Have many of you guys seen the PS4 vids? How impressed are you with the graphics? I just seen the Kill Zone & Watch Dog vids, the opening of Kill Zone looked incredible but then when the gameplay starts it doesnt really look any better than what I have seen from BF3, Crysis 2 & Far Cry 3 maxed out, would you agree?

I don't like the look of killzone but watch dogs looks sexy :)) i am impressed compared to current PS3 quality.

In my opinion, quality of graphics depends on the creativity of the devs to utilize their game/graphic engine. So we probably will see games with average graphic quality too.. :P

I am gaming with current laptop powered by i5 3210m and gt650m. Tomb raider with default high setting @768p looks fantastic and plays really smooth at 30-50 fps in most cases. one of "well-optimized" game i should admit.

Seeing the rumour that the GPU stands between AMD's 7850 - 7870. so we know what to expect ;)

I am not into console gaming, probably better spend to new notebook when future notebook equiped with gtx 680m-equivalent mobile gpu system is under $1000. :APPLAUD:

though for some of us who have a PC and then decide to add a console of their choosing on top get to experience the best of both worlds. :))

Thats what its about. if your a massive gaming fan and have teh funds then why limit yourself to either a console or a pc?

i have both :) but honestly i have not touched my ps3 for years. waiting on last of us :)

I will ask this question in here as you guys are clued up with this type of thing.

I have moved my xbox 360 into my office where I have my gaming PC and I am not running it off hdmi on my monitor.

the monitors I have are not the best for gaming but for the likes of BF3 it handles it quite well.

the xbox 360 has gone from a pansonic plasma to the same lcd monitor, am I likely to see better response times on the monitor than the plasma?

I have noticed some blurry patches on the lcd, I suppose that is just the technology or response time?

my monitors are dell SP2309W / typical 2ms response time.
with that said, can anyone recommend an upgrade to these suitable for xbox gaming and PC gaming?

looking for a dual setup.

chees

I bought an Artic Cooling 3rd party fan for mine, it makes it run a lot cooler and reduces the noise quite a bit.

It only costs £35 and is worth the upgrade.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/375/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html?c=2182

I've put an Arctic F12 PWM fan on the side and it's made a pretty bid difference. Temps have dropped around 5c or more, noise levels under load are better too. But the F12 is a little too noticeable for me so I'm going to order some Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans.

Was the cooler easy to fit?

I've put an Arctic F12 PWM fan on the side and it's made a pretty bid difference. Temps have dropped around 5c or more, noise levels under load are better too. But the F12 is a little too noticeable for me so I'm going to order some Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans.

Was the cooler easy to fit?

Cooler was incredibly easy took about 15 mins to do, but hard to wait 45 mins for the special glue to dry.

I have my 680 GTX overclocked as well as it increases the FPS pretty well, by about 10-15%

guys I have £700 credit to spend from a reseller who can tap into uk retailers.

need to buy something but don't know what, I currently have 2x 570sli setup.

do I go for a faster single card and then sell those?

do I go for better monitors than I currently have, I have 2x dell sp2309w?

not even sure I want to upgrade but I got this as a freebe so need to purchase something, could even be a TV but don't really need one, don't need a tablet

I have bought a Benq XL2420TX

was going to replace one of my Dell SP2309W for it.

and run both at 1920x1080 resolution

but I have just tested the dell monitor with 1920x1080 and it looks blurred

I can see in the NVidia control panel I can choose the resolution per SLI I have which is fine but am I likely to see an issue between resolutions

native resolution of the dell is 2048x1152

Back
Top Bottom