The PC Building Thread

probably game issues then if its just that game? monitor your temps on your gpu and cpu whilst playing it and see what the temps are

Ok will do. Im pretty sure they are both fine as I can run other DX11 games at Ultra Settings and not have problems. DiRT 3 and F1 2011 both run absolutely sweet as does the Alpha Build of Project CARS lad.

i had issues with red orchestra 2 restarting my pc every 5mins. i updated my drivers and also edited the fan speed of my 480gtx as it was running at near 90c while gaming. that seem to have done the trick as with a 480gtx, u need to use a custom fan profile as the default settings is pants.

its now on water though so nice and cool at 55c max at full load overclocked to 580gtx speeds :D

In those games then does the computer just turn off or do you get a very quick flash of the blue screen?

As could be something very simple like graphics driver either needs to be updated or maybe use an older one.
Or Saints Row was just a really bad port

Not had any crashed on SR3 with my 6950 or GTX 580 so not sure it's a game problem.

In those games then does the computer just turn off or do you get a very quick flash of the blue screen?

As could be something very simple like graphics driver either needs to be updated or maybe use an older one.
Or Saints Row was just a really bad port

+1

It literally just turns off. No flash of a blue screen or anything. Now to give you some Temps. My CPU doesnt go over 50c and my GPU hits around 69c to 70c during the game. I even ALT-Tabbed to GPUID during a part where the game usually just shuts my machine down and the temps were slightly below the figures ive just mentioned like.

GTX 580 drivers were the latest STABLE release (ie not BETA) but it still happens and doesnt always happen at the same place.

I can do other things like use After Effects to render HD Video with FX applied to them and the machine never skips a beat. Same as when playing other games like DiRT 3 and F1 2011. They all run a treat and never shuts my machine down.

Update on my PC after doing the "I want to beat the shit out of my GPU" Like.... Everything went fine. Ran the test for 3 hours and the Temp got up to 65c max. Machine didnt switch off didnt reboot. This was at Full 1080P with full AA switched on. Must be Saints Row The Third then?

A quick question: are OCZ PSUs any good?

I'm going to start buying a few bits for my build so would appreciate any advice. I know Corsair and XFX are well regarded. Any others? I'm looking for a modular unit in the 600-650W bracket.

Yep, OCZ are good. Seasonic are also decent. I've got a Corsair PSU and not had any problems.

Cheers Dags.

I've heard their solid state drives are not so good, or is that not true? I think I've convinced myself to go for a 60-64gb SSD as a boot drive. If I'm building a PC to replace my consoles then having a quick start up time is desirable I suppose. The Crucial M4 seems to have a good rep.

Not sure on their SSD's. I've got a 64GB Crucial M4 and it's superb. The speed difference is incredible.

Booting Windows 7, the multi-coloured dots that float around during the boot never get to making the pulsing Windows flag. On my old SATA drives, the flag would pulse for a few seconds. This SSD is MILES quicker and it shows.

A quick question: are OCZ PSUs any good?

I'm going to start buying a few bits for my build so would appreciate any advice. I know Corsair and XFX are well regarded. Any others? I'm looking for a modular unit in the 600-650W bracket.

XFX well regarded? where?
its seasonic and enermax that are top dogs.

Corsair use Seasonic psu's and rebrand them. dont forget that mate. That is why Corsair are popular too as its just a re-badged seasonic psu

Another question....is a case with USB 3.0 really worth worrying about?

Just looking at cases now and the Bitfenix Shinobi is catching my eye. It's USB 2.0 though.

Do they offer a USB 3.0 upgrade kit? My case had 2.0 originally but you could buy an upgrade kit from Fractal Design to upgrade it, mine was a newer case so was already built in.

Not many devices use USB 3.0 these days anyway but at some point it'll become a standard so it's worth considering I guess.

Do they offer a USB 3.0 upgrade kit? My case had 2.0 originally but you could buy an upgrade kit from Fractal Design to upgrade it, mine was a newer case so was already built in.

Not many devices use USB 3.0 these days anyway but at some point it'll become a standard so it's worth considering I guess.

Yes, I've seen a cheap conversion kit for it. But then again it looks like there is a 3.0 version:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-019-BX&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=1850

Just read a couple of reviews and it seems pretty good for £50.

Actually, I reckon that overclockers link is bollocks. I've checked the Bitfenix site and it's got four USB 2.0 ports, so why they state it has two 3.0 connectors is beyond me.

Actually, I reckon that overclockers link is bollocks. I've checked the Bitfenix site and it's got four USB 2.0 ports, so why they state it has two 3.0 connectors is beyond me.

I think mine has six USB 2.0 ports and only two USB 3.0 ports. I don't think all ports are converted.

Decided to go for that case in the end along with a 650W Modular Corsair PSU.

It has begun. :))

I'll probably pick up the motherboard, processor etc, next week when I've got some more funds available.

I think I'll hang on a bit for a new HDD. Prices seem to have dropped a bit but are still well above what they were pre-floods. My current desktop has a Samsung 7200rpm drive which I can transfer over and format. It's only 160gb but I think it will do me to start with. I don't intend on using this build for much other than games.

What's the best way to completely wipe a HDD? Are there any free programs for this or can it be done within Windows?

Last edited:
HDDErase is what's recommended for SSD's, I imagine it works well for standard drives as well.

Grab a program named "Gamesave Manager". When you get your new HDD, use that program to scan your 160GB for saved games and back them up to a USB stick or Dropbox. Then pop your new drive in and restore your saved games with the app. Works really well.

HDDErase is what's recommended for SSD's, I imagine it works well for standard drives as well.

Grab a program named "Gamesave Manager". When you get your new HDD, use that program to scan your 160GB for saved games and back them up to a USB stick or Dropbox. Then pop your new drive in and restore your saved games with the app. Works really well.

Sounds like a good idea, cheers.

Regarding the motherboard, I'm looking at picking up this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/281367-asus-p...raphics-output-8-channel-audio-atx-p8z68-v-lx

or this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/276562-gigaby...5-8-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-z68ap-d3

but I don't think either supports the older IDE DVD drives, so I guess I'm going to have to pick up a cheap SATA one.

Back
Top Bottom