The PC Building Thread

Make sure the CPU cooler won't obstruct your RAM, I have the Corsair Vengeance and looking for a cpu cooler was hard since after reading alot it seems that the heatsinks of the RAM are too tall. Now that you have 2 sticks of RAM it might be ok but when you want to upgrade to 4 sticks or get a better high end air cooler you might face a problem.

I wanted a good high end air cpu cooler but couldn't because of the RAM, I got the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and it's a really really tight fit, there's literally 1mm between the cooler and the RAM, but again I have 4 sticks of RAM so you should be ok... for now. :)

Thanks for the heads up!

Great post dags, I will put my purchase on hold until I read all that.

Last edited:
In the last pic Ern Dog posted it's not the Low Profile version :P

Which 6950 do you have? I have the Sapphire Dirt3 Edition and it's really quiet. Did you overclock it?

AH, I didn't look at the pic. Ern Dog, go for the low profile version instead.

I've got an XFX 6950 with the reference cooler. It's running at stock speeds and it's fairly quiet normally but when under load, it can get a bit noisy and temps get to around 80c. The newer 6950's come with two fans now I think?

I've got an XFX 6950 with the reference cooler. It's running at stock speeds and it's fairly quiet normally but when under load, it can get a bit noisy and temps get to around 80c. The newer 6950's come with two fans now I think?

Yeah, the one I have has 2 fans.

You only have 1 fan on your card??? The one I have in mind has 3!!!!!!!

I will go for the low pro, I forgot about that.

You only have 1 fan on your card??? The one I have in mind has 3!!!!!!!

I will go for the low pro, I forgot about that.

Yep :( It's not ideal because it'll get hot and just have one fan pulling air into it. So then the fan speed kicks up, and around 40% it's fairly noticeable to me, then the louder it gets ... not ideal.

I'll keep hold of my card until I can get my hands on a GTX 570 or 580 and then sell mine.

Can't remember but you have got a HDD already? And mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, controller?

If you've got a HDD already, that's good but I'd HIGHLY recommend an SSD if you can scrape £70 sometime in the near future. Windows loads super-quick and things are just SO much quicker. I've got Skyrim on mine and I get 2-3 seconds loading between areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I got all that stuff, which is fortunate because I dont think I could stomach spending around £1000 to buy the full package.

I will get a SSD, I was just reading about them actually. What is a good size to go for? I doubt I will be getting alot of games, I would be surprised if I ever had more than 10 installed at once.

The buy has gone on hold for now as my parents have asked me to borrow a couple of grand to buy carpet for their new house. A bit bummed about it because I was getting all excited! On the plus side hopefully when I get it back the prices will have come down a bit and it gives me more time to read up on things.

Last edited:
On the AVF PC gaming section, two people have recently bought parts from Scan and are having problems with returning it with Scan claiming it's user damage. Not great support and I'd probably look at eBuyer or Aria at the moment.

I personally never had issues rma stuff before. I even rma my radiator a few months ago. If you hassle them in Jesus. They will respond properly. That's what I did.

It does seem that scans Rep has gone down a notch though!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Yeah I got all that stuff, which is fortunate because I dont think I could stomach spending around £1000 to buy the full package.

I will get a SSD, I was just reading about them actually. What is a good size to go for? I doubt I will be getting alot of games, I would be surprised if I ever had more than 10 installed at once.

The buy has gone on hold for now as my parents have asked me to borrow a couple of grand to buy carpet for their new house. A bit bummed about it because I was getting all excited! On the plus side hopefully when I get it back the prices will have come down a bit and it gives me more time to read up on things.

As big as you can get. Bear in mind that the OS takes around 10-15GB, then pagefile etc so you don't have too much space on a 64GB. But then I've got a 64GB just for my OS and Skyrim and it's great, my other games are on my 500GB SATA and I'm happy with this setup.

I like the SSD idea. Like Ern, I never need a great deal of storage space on my pc's as I generally only have few games installed and a bit of music. I've got an external Seagate 1TB drive which I've not even got close to filling, and I've not even filled the 160gb HDD on my current desktop.

Given the above, could I build a system that solely uses a SSD and add an internal HDD at a later date when the prices fall?

You could but you really wouldn't have much space at all on your drive. Enough for one or two smaller games maybe.

You could always take the 1TB drive out of the enclosure and put it into your desktop, or take the 160GB out until you get a newer drive.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, although I'd like to keep the external drive as it is. It's my back up drive for all my photos, music and other important bits.

I'm not sure what speed the 160gb drive is or whether it's suitable for a modern gaming rig.

Wow I didnt expect that! Games wernt even taking up a gb when I was into pc gaming. I think a 128gb ssd will do the job though.

As big as you can get. Bear in mind that the OS takes around 10-15GB, then pagefile etc so you don't have too much space on a 64GB. But then I've got a 64GB just for my OS and Skyrim and it's great, my other games are on my 500GB SATA and I'm happy with this setup.

I must try that steam app that allows you to have your steam game son multiple hdd's got a link mate?

Ive got a 128GB SSD and Windows 7 boots very very quickly indeed. As do my basic programs that I use like Internet Explorer, Office 2007 etc. I install all of my games to the 500GB 2nd Hard Drive that ive got. Ive read that you can do some kind of thing which uses the SSD as a Cache to a normal hard drive like? Not sure if thats worth doing?

On another note I got the Beta of Rfactor 2 last night and the graphics are a welcome upgrade from Rfactor but in places my machine slowed down to 45ish frames a second.... why? The GTX 580 should eat it for breakfast especially as its a DX9 game?

Ive got a 128GB SSD and Windows 7 boots very very quickly indeed. As do my basic programs that I use like Internet Explorer, Office 2007 etc. I install all of my games to the 500GB 2nd Hard Drive that ive got. Ive read that you can do some kind of thing which uses the SSD as a Cache to a normal hard drive like? Not sure if thats worth doing?

On another note I got the Beta of Rfactor 2 last night and the graphics are a welcome upgrade from Rfactor but in places my machine slowed down to 45ish frames a second.... why? The GTX 580 should eat it for breakfast especially as its a DX9 game?

i get 80fps easily on my 480gtx clocked at 580gtx speeds. What is the cpu you are using mate? something is not right in your setup!

here is some videos of rf2!

YouTube - rFactor 2 Beta - '68 F1 car - Spa Francorchamps Historic.

its more hardcore then pcars!

CPU is a Core i7 2600K Overclocked to 4.6GHZ.

Other games run great at well over 60FPS. F1 2011 for example can hit 80FPS with everything on Ultra at 1920x1080 and V-Sync turned off. Of course with V-Sync turned on it matches your Monitor's Refresh rate so FPS stays constantly at 60FPS. Most of the time Rfactor 2 does stay well above 60 without V-Sync but at times it did drop as low as 40 and I couldnt see why like?

What are the advantages of having higher fps? I think that console games run at 30, so the 60 & 80 you guys are talking about is quite a jump.

How is Rfactor 2 guys, How does it compare to something like GT5?

60fps is very smooth, you'll notice a big difference between what you think is smooth running at 30fps and then the same game running at 60fps.

Will my TV handle 60fps and upwards, are consoles running soo low to maximize preformance or because of the display restrictions?

Nope, your TV will handle it fine. In fact Wipeout on the PS3 runs at 60fps, I think a couple of others do too. I imagine it's just because it's more demanding on the hardware to run at 60fps so they stick to 30fps on consoles with limited power.

No probs. Don't forget to pop your Steam ID in here and I'll send you a friend request.

Back
Top Bottom