The "Not happy with PES 2012" thread

Which PES 2012 version do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love shooting, passing, dribbling etc but fuck me headers are frustrating, with the manual cross not in the game its even harder to get the sort of header I want felt pes 11 was better in this regard.

Do you ever use Circle then R2 for the 'high floated' cross ? That works very well for me, it hangs in the air, which gives me more time to position my striker and really attack the ball. As opposed to a more glancing connection from a whipped in cross. After the 'Go-To' header goals of PES 10, PES 11 was a real refreshing change, I loved the timing aspect of that. I feel this is similiar with regards coversion rates, it just doesnt require as brutal timing as PES 11.

Last edited:
Do you ever use Circle then R2 for the 'high floated' cross ? That works very well for me, it hangs in the air, which gives me more time to position my striker and really attack the ball. As opposed to a more glancing connection from a whipped in cross. After the 'Go-To' headers goal of PES 10, PES 11 was a real refreshing change, I loved the timing aspect of that. I feel this is similiar with regards coversion rates, it just doesnt require as brutal timing as PES 11.

I used lofted cross a lot on 2011 but strangely not enough on this years version, will try it more.

Do you ever use Circle then R2 for the 'high floated' cross ? That works very well for me, it hangs in the air, which gives me more time to position my striker and really attack the ball. As opposed to a more glancing connection from a whipped in cross. After the 'Go-To' header goals of PES 10, PES 11 was a real refreshing change, I loved the timing aspect of that. I feel this is similiar with regards coversion rates, it just doesnt require as brutal timing as PES 11.

So these crosses are still in, according to Rob's cross placement guide? I've been holding R2 before I press circle, no wonder the crosses keep going straight out towards the touchline. I've always held R2+cross, then R2 after the bar fills up.

Well you can press R2 during or after the cross to make it go lofty and you can pull back on the stick to go near post or push towards the goal area to make it go back post or away from the goal to go to the penalty spot.

If you press R2 after you've powered up a header you can get some variation as well I believe. Maybe it get's headed into the ground etc.

I have a better chance of reading & writing japanese before i work out the controls on this game, constantly coming across theories of what to press,when to press & results.

Dont know how they can complicate something so simple. You should be deciding the action when kicking the ball & nothing after its been kicked.

What's so complicated?

Shooting - power up your shot with the shoot button. While the power bar is on screen (a very short time usually) push your left stick to 12 o clock or 6 o clock position to aim, provided you are playing with one of the many camera's that runs from left to right or right to left on your tv screen. Hold the left stick until the ball has been kicked so that the direction registers.

You can (if you want) press R2 after you've powered up but before the ball has been kicked or headed to use the special control button which modifies the shot or header. Usually it takes off some of the pace and gives it more control.

Crossing - When you cross the ball you can press the cross button without anything else to get a normal arc, double tap cross button to get a quicker, flatter cross or triple tap to get a cross along the ground.

Again, you can press R2 while the power bar is up to give you a more lofted cross. It goes a bit slower and gives your forward time to meet the cross. Unlike shooting, you can actually hold R2 WHILE you press the cross button as well I believe, rather than only being able to press R2 after the power bar is up.

Then you can direct the cross to the front post, back post, towards the keeper or towards the penalty spot with the left stick.

Allowing the R2 button press after you power up is handy. Sometimes you can change your mind mid-shot or mid-cross and it will change the animation in time if you use the button before the ball is kicked.

Well you can press R2 during or after the cross to make it go lofty and you can pull back on the stick to go near post or push towards the goal area to make it go back post or away from the goal to go to the penalty spot.

If you press R2 after you've powered up a header you can get some variation as well I believe. Maybe it get's headed into the ground etc.

Oh? Didn't know I can use R2 on headers too..

Yeah so I just played a 30 minute exhibition match between my beloved Ajax and Manchester United. We lost 3-2 which seemed alright. It was a good, feisty game with plenty of yellow cards. But 4 of the goals were scored with the head, none of them from corners. 30 minutes is a long time in PES land, but still, 4 header goals is a bit much. I think the CPU must have launched a minimum of 25 early and regular crosses and I would safely say that 17 or 18 made contact with their team-mate's head. I probably launched even more crosses, maybe 30, and 14 or 15 made contact with my team-mate's head. Something's not right with these numbers. I know people want things to connect and smashed headers are glorious things, but the amount of contact is out of whack. As some context, I read today that in the match between Olympique Marseille and Inter-Milan, OM offered 44 crosses. You know, it's the French league where they play so far out wide and love the early cross especially. But on that night out of the 44 crosses, only 10 made contact. I know Lucio and Samuel are great CBs but still, the numbers ring true in that game. If you remember the Chelsea/Norwich borefest a few weeks ago, Bosingwa or somesuch must have offered 30 crosses just by himself. I don't think Torres and Sturridge got onto more that 2 or 3 of them. I know that might say a lot about Torres, Sturridge and Bosingwa, but it also says something about the effectiveness of even slightly above average CBs that have their backs to the goal and have the advantage of initial position. Crossing into the box with contact should be much, much harder in PES 2012. It should be rare and glorious, instead of constant and obvious. I can tell it's starting to bother me when I stop to watch a replay of my SB stumbling under pressure, and with his non-dominant foot, with the ball bouncing so that it is really a volley-cross, get that sucker upside the head of Sigthorsson. I think it's just a matter of the math, the percentages are out of whack.

Good day!

Oh? Didn't know I can use R2 on headers too..

You can use R2 with pretty much everything but I think it's a bit of a placebo sometimes to be honest.

I've experimented with using it and not using in various circumstances and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference IMO. Even when placement shooting, which is it's main function I would say.

Again I'm back to the feeling of detachment and that feeling comes mainly from having control taken away from me too often in this game. When it all works it's an OK game but too often the game seems to ignore my input or change the rules for how much power is required for a pass or a shot or just outright decide things for me regardless of what I want to do.

Playing PES over the years I've been willing to overlook SO much and still really enjoy the game but this year has gone too far. Taking control away from the player in things such as shooting and passing is just not acceptable for me, the game is "on rails" enough already with the super cancel nonsense without the AI randomly deciding the outcome of the very fundamentals of the game.

Yeah so I just played a 30 minute exhibition match between my beloved Ajax and Manchester United. We lost 3-2 which seemed alright. It was a good, feisty game with plenty of yellow cards. But 4 of the goals were scored with the head, none of them from corners. 30 minutes is a long time in PES land, but still, 4 header goals is a bit much. I think the CPU must have launched a minimum of 25 early and regular crosses and I would safely say that 17 or 18 made contact with their team-mate's head. I probably launched even more crosses, maybe 30, and 14 or 15 made contact with my team-mate's head. Something's not right with these numbers. I know people want things to connect and smashed headers are glorious things, but the amount of contact is out of whack. As some context, I read today that in the match between Olympique Marseille and Inter-Milan, OM offered 44 crosses. You know, it's the French league where they play so far out wide and love the early cross especially. But on that night out of the 44 crosses, only 10 made contact. I know Lucio and Samuel are great CBs but still, the numbers ring true in that game. If you remember the Chelsea/Norwich borefest a few weeks ago, Bosingwa or somesuch must have offered 30 crosses just by himself. I don't think Torres and Sturridge got onto more that 2 or 3 of them. I know that might say a lot about Torres, Sturridge and Bosingwa, but it also says something about the effectiveness of even slightly above average CBs that have their backs to the goal and have the advantage of initial position. Crossing into the box with contact should be much, much harder in PES 2012. It should be rare and glorious, instead of constant and obvious. I can tell it's starting to bother me when I stop to watch a replay of my SB stumbling under pressure, and with his non-dominant foot, with the ball bouncing so that it is really a volley-cross, get that sucker upside the head of Sigthorsson. I think it's just a matter of the math, the percentages are out of whack.

Good day!

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I stopped playing the PS3 version. One game Fulham scored four headers against me in a 5-2 game, that saw scripting reach an all time peak. No matter what I did to my red arrowed right back, the lofted winged through ball always got the better of him, then CPU to touchline, CPU cross, headed goal as my defender conveniently starts running towards the centre circle. Not good.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I stopped playing the PS3 version. One game Fulham scored four headers against me in a 5-2 game, that saw scripting reach an all time peak. No matter what I did to my red arrowed right back, the lofted winged through ball always got the better of him, then CPU to touchline, CPU cross, headed goal as my defender conveniently starts running towards the centre circle. Not good.

The issue of the CPU stopping for a fraction of a second, or even running in the opposite direction before you gain control of him, thus allowing the CPU all the space in the world for a header or through ball was the number one reason why I got rid of the game. It happened off-screen. A long, lofted through ball could be played from deep inside the CPU half and as the ball travelled up the pitch, and the screen scrolled left to right, and i switch to me CB, its too late and the CPU striker would be clear on goal and unmarked before i could do anything about it.

So I'd hit replay, take a look at my CB, and BEFORE the long ball up the pitch was even kicked, he'd stop tracking the striker for just a second and move away from him before reverting back to tracking the striker - who would now be 5 yards ahead of the defender. And all this before I could even gain control of him as it would all happen off screen.

I played demo 1 recently and got tempted to re-buy the game, saw that happen again and instantly decided against it.

Last edited:
I would like to aks a question here, not meant to make any wars or something like that, but what was your favourite game until now in this gen ( Fifa & PES ).

For me personally the games i favour the most are FIFA 09 ( if it wasn´t the floaty shooting, and i´m sure to name it as the best footy game of this gen, flawless, it has amazing fun factor, with amazing playability, and online was a must, of course it has some super players like ronaldo etc..., but hey if we think well, it has it on PES of PS2 to, like shevchencko, Adriano, Ibra etc... ) and PES 2011, mostly because of the MLO, damn that was addictive...

I would like to aks a question here, not meant to make any wars or something like that, but what was your favourite game until now in this gen ( Fifa & PES ).

For me personally the games i favour the most are FIFA 09 ( if it wasn´t the floaty shooting, and i´m sure to name it as the best footy game of this gen, flawless, it has amazing fun factor, with amazing playability, and online was a must, of course it has some super players like ronaldo etc..., but hey if we think well, it has it on PES of PS2 to, like shevchencko, Adriano, Ibra etc... ) and PES 2011, mostly because of the MLO, damn that was addictive...

PES 2011 was highly addictive and the game (after PES5/6) that I played constantly, warts and all. It was the game, even more so than the PS2 era, that got me so emotionally involved that I had serious anger management issues with it...but still loved it. It could really change the complexion of my entire day if I won or lost, which is probably quite sad.

Players did feel different. Trouble is I went back to it on the PS3 and PC a few days ago and although I still think it plays an incredible game, even more so on the PC, I now find it quite easy, something which I would never have thought possible. I can now see through balls and scoring opportunities everywhere, so it may be 2012 has honed some skills. I still think they should have stuck with PES 2011 as the base for this year and just polished it and made it slightly less robotic, toned down pass speed a bit, and made the keepers better. It would have been perfect this year then, the ball physics and just general feel to the game passing and shooting is much, much better in 2011 I think.

I know FIFA11 had it's issues, but I really enjoyed online play I have to be honest. FIFA 09/10 were okay, but too many silly scripts and silly headed unrealistic goals from thre CPU.

You can use R2 with pretty much everything but I think it's a bit of a placebo sometimes to be honest.

I've experimented with using it and not using in various circumstances and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference IMO. Even when placement shooting, which is it's main function I would say.

Definitely, 100% not a Placebo PJ. There are specific animations for every R2 move. Admittedly, not great animations, and not varied, and some even share the same animation (R1 Chip as an example). But there is no doubt at all, they are all there.

R2 Shot - Opens his body and uses the instep, or, outside toe-poke.

R2 Dummy-Turn - Player opens his body to let the ball pass through.

R2 High Pass - The ball floats in the air with extra height, pace is noticably removed.

R2 Drag-back - Exactly as it says.

R2 Trigger Run - Exactly as it says.

R2 High-Pass Turn - Holding R2 and pushing the pad in the direction you wish to take the ball from an air pass. The change of direction in one motion again, has it's own fluid animation.

R2 Stop - Run with the ball, and press R2 and leave the pad central to halt with ball under foot. Perfect for a stop/start change of direction to wrong-foot the opposition using momentum.

R2 and X Control Pass - Removes pace off the pass and increases accuracy. More than noticable.

R2 is the most important button in PES for me, it's also the most under-used and under appreciated button. No question. It's a massive game-changer, it adds a level of control that for me, is absolutely paramount.

Last edited:
does r2 stop your ai players running away from the ball or backing away from it when you cant take control of them.
for me thats the worst point of pes the ai of players on your team
who constantly will either stand static or back away from the ball .

add to that the player switching which is inconsistent to say the least.
then to finish it off have played a few games lately the first time for ages online twice the game stopped before the match lost connection error
yet both times i was given a 3-0 loss and the last game i played i was winning so my opponent decided to score three own goals to abandon the game then it comes up i am banned from all competitions as my rate is less than 70 per cent and i aint quit no match.
so thats me done with pes now till the new version pes2013 just hope they fix the basics ie: the ai of your players and the player switching
if they aint then i will not be buying, thought we would have moved on from the days of pes 5 by now!!!

Ps totally agree with ccshoplands comments above spot on m8!!

Last edited:
Definitely, 100% not a Placebo PJ. There are specific animations for every R2 move. Admittedly, not great animations, and not varied, and some even share the same animation (R1 Chip as an example). But there is no doubt at all, they are all there.

R2 Shot - Opens his body and uses the instep, or, outside toe-poke.

R2 Dummy-Turn - Player opens his body to let the ball pass through.

R2 High Pass - The ball floats in the air with extra height, pace is noticably removed.

R2 Drag-back - Exactly as it says.

R2 Trigger Run - Exactly as it says.

R2 High-Pass Turn - Holding R2 and pushing the pad in the direction you wish to take the ball from an air pass. The change of direction in one motion again, has it's own fluid animation.

R2 Stop - Run with the ball, and press R2 and leave the pad central to halt with ball under foot. Perfect for a stop/start change of direction to wrong-foot the opposition using momentum.

R2 and X Control Pass - Removes pace off the pass and increases accuracy. More than noticable.

R2 is the most important button in PES for me, it's also the most under-used and under appreciated button. No question. It's a massive game-changer, it will add a level of control that for me, is absolutely paramount.

Yeah I agree with all of those R2 descriptors (except the dummy turn one, dont you hold R1 with no direction to allow the ball to pass through your player untouched?) there Jimmy and sometimes it is noticeable but sometimes I dont think there is much difference with the shooting or the passing really. I experimented with it a few times and sometimes it worked and was noticeable but sometimes it didnt. Which pretty much sums up PES 2012's control system for me. It's party because of the lack of proper animations but I also failed to notice any difference on the power or placement of passing and shooting quite often. I cant count the amount of times I looked down at my hands and thought "I definitely WAS pressing R2 there!"

All of the others work every time with no problems, I should have specified I meant only the passing and the shooting because R2 definitely is one of the most important buttons in the game and works well in some situations. It's just inconsistent for me when it comes to passing and shooting.

Yeah I agree with all of those R2 descriptors (except the dummy turn one, dont you hold R1 with no direction to allow the ball to pass through your player untouched?) there Jimmy and sometimes it is noticeable but sometimes I dont think there is much difference with the shooting or the passing really. I experimented with it a few times and sometimes it worked and was noticeable but sometimes it didnt. Which pretty much sums up PES 2012's control system for me. It's party because of the lack of proper animations but I also failed to notice any difference on the power or placement of passing and shooting quite often. I cant count the amount of times I looked down at my hands and thought "I definitely WAS pressing R2 there!"

All of the others work every time with no problems, I should have specified I meant only the passing and the shooting because R2 definitely is one of the most important buttons in the game and works well in some situations. It's just inconsistent for me when it comes to passing and shooting.

That is actually a different one. Holding R1 will make your player lift his leg to dummy the oncoming pass. The R2 Dummy is different altogether PJ, if you hold R2 as the ball is coming towards you, then as the ball is just about to make contact, keep holding R2 and push the stick/pad in the direction you wish the ball to travel, the player will ignore the ball and turn so that the pace of the ball remains true and you can move off with the ball in the direction the ball is moving. It basically takes out the need to take a touch and turn. And unlike the R1 Dummy, which you basically pull off for the player to behind to benefit from, as that Dummy leaves the 'dummying' player static and flat-footed. The R2 Dummy means you can turn and move off without the pace of the ball being effected, or without being left static and flat-footed.

I did have a video on my phone of the above, and a goal scored by Tamudo where he used this perfectly, but I cant seem to find it. I'll keep looking, or record another instance. This was the first time I'd scored off the back off this move as well. But as you'll see, it is a totally different to anything else.

Also, holding R2 when you shoot or pass (except the X R2 pass) doesn't do anything as far as I'm aware. It only works if you press R2 once the power bar is filled, to whatever level.

I honestly don't know what I'd do without the R2 shot, nearly all my goals are scored with that, as generally, as you would expect, I get a lot more consistency and accuracy using this controlled system. As opposed to just getting his head down and smashing it.

Edit -

(Bugger !! I must have deleted that goal when I was clearing space on my phone. I certainly didn't want to, as I hadnt posted it yet, I can only assume it was part of some Highlights rather than an individual recording, as those are what I deleted. :( Never mind, I'll just capture the Dummy again. )

Edit 2-

This has nothing to do with anything to be honest, but as I was scouring my phone for the umpteenth time, hoping that Tamudo goal was somehow still there, I found this one. This is just a great example of how to turn a defender inside-out, twice :) You know how much defenders hate getting done once, it kills them to get done twice. This was Shot-Fake/Drop of the shoulder turn, and Inside R2 turn, (hold R2 and push direction, keeps the ball close) then a lovely R2 placed shot into the bottom bag. I love how he is sets off on his celebration run before the ball even hits the net. He just knows, yet he still checks his run ever so slightly before moving off again. Classic.

YouTube - Fake Shot Turn-R2 Inside Turn-R2 Shot

Edit 3 - Fixed the R1 error.

Last edited:
What does L1 do for you Jim? Sprint?

L1 for me is actually Through-ball, I don't use the PES default controls, I'm sure mine are Fifa originally. That's where I sometimes get confused translating the controls back when I'm trying to explain something. So yeah, I meant R1 for the Standing Dummy.

I use -

Circle - Shoot
Square - High Pass
X - Same
Triangle - Sprint
R1 - Change Man
L1 - Through-ball
R2 - Same

Since we are on a nice discussion of R2 I thought I would throw in my little bit. It might be out of place on the "Not Happy" thread. Sorry. I would say that the most important move that I make in the offensive zone is pressing R2 just as my player receives the ball and then holding it for a split-second before returning to dribble and move or pass. So my team-mates are flowing forward on offense and many of the CPU defenders have their back to the ball possessor because they are tracking runs. Let's say my ball-possessor is the left SB and he moves slightly inside and passes it to my AMF (maybe a slight through-ball to keep him moving forward). So now everyone, including the new ball-possessor is flowing forward. I immediately press R2 to make him come to a standstill and turn forward (in the event he was at an angle upon possession). What I like is that he usually suddenly finds himself in open space because everyone else on both teams is still momentarily flowing forward. You get a moment to breathe and view the options. Also, if your player distance is not too great you find that your teammates will also stop just after you do (and possibly even retreat back to you, depending on your player distance) but the defenders (because they often have their back to the ball-possessor) will take an extra second to stop. So now your AMF has a few moments, a bit of space, and forwards flowing towards him unmarked. I think in the course of an offensive flourish (let's say 8 to 10 consecutive passes with my 4 forward players) I must press R2 in this way 4 or 5 times. I also like that when your ball-possessor does receive pressure after a few moments, when you try to dribble out of trouble, the R2 is still in play (even if you've let go of it) and you get a kind of close, precision dribble (often a nice ball-roll with the cleats). I hope that makes sense...

Good Day!

Glad I'm not the only one. This seems to be the unspeakable truth round these parts.

I cant be shaken from this belief because even though I agree with everything Jimmy says about R2 and it's many uses I have also seen those specific animations, turns, passes and shots when I haven't pressed R2 at all.

The one use R2 has which is definitely useful is pressing it on it's own to come to a sudden stop. This nearly always buys you a few seconds to weigh up your options and is very handy but most other things can sometimes be done without using R2 and sometimes they dont work even though you have pressed R2.

Again it's the inconsistency in control that baffles and irritates me in this game.

One of the problems with KONAMI and something that they HAVE to get right next release is the 'out of the box' product. This year, it's almost two completely different games; the out of the box one and the modded one on the PC. My point is this - PES 2012 heavily modded will always be better than FIFA, but out of the box (which I guess is what most people will stick with) FIFA creams PES because it checks most of the boxes in an adequate sort of way.

Each time I load up the PS3, it takes about five minutes before I switch it off again with regards to PES this year. It's simply a shambles. The scripts on the higher levels are just a joke. I scored a goal v Arsenal yesterday and their very next attack (yes this bug) one of their midfielders hit a 20 yard medium hit ball to Persie, which my defender couldn't orientate himself with (even though the ball went through him) for Persie to score. It was off button time. And yet Nesa's 1.8 gameplay patch is the best football experience ever.

But people are getting more and more impatient, and rightly so in this day and age, and want a product that they have paid £40 for to work straight away as it's shipped without having f'kin mong keepers, quirky ball physics, cheat scripts literally ruining every game etc etc.

This is where KONAMI will fail unless they sharpen up their ideas.

Yes, and away from the gameplay I expect decent animations, sharp graphics and sophisticated audio in this day and age. Given what modern consoles are capable of it's a prerequisite.

With the rather shoddy gameplay the whole package is not particularly appealing to me these days.

And yet Nesa's 1.8 gameplay patch is the best football experience ever.

When I was unhappy with the previous versions of PES2012 I used Jenky & Yair patches in an effort to get something for the £25 I paid for the game. Being happy with 1.03 I never felt the need to try a patch but I keep on seeing you say how great the Nesa patch is so I gave it a go. It feels just as broken as the previous official versions to be honest, maybe even worse.
The ball is incredibly heavy, its like a ball from the 1930s. I had a shot and there were a few players in the way and it ricocheted like a pinball, it was very unrealistic. Also because of the weight, sometimes when playing balls into feet it would behave very odd. Overall I did not feel it was an improvement over the 1.03 ball in any way.
The CPU AI was pretty awful in its defensive organisation. Using short passes in its last third I was pulling it all over the place. The individual players didnt seem to know their role positionally and would abandon their post to go chase the ball around. At one point they all seemed to come together in the middle of the pitch.
The one area that I expected massive improvements was build up, a few backward passes aside it wasnt any different.
The shooting is far too easy, my 16 year old striker with 72 shot accuracy and 70 kicking power was consistantly able to get off accurate and powerful strikes. The shooting took no thinking what so ever, whatever the position, I was pointing the stick at goal and tapping the button and getting off good strikes.
My 60 something rated keeper became super human. Before the patch he behaved like an average keeper should, after it he turned into Peter Schmeichel x 100. He moved at the speed of light and felt as strong as Mariusz Pudzianowski.
The passing didnt feel right, it was like the passing in the old versions where it would snap to the wrong player. Also the player switching wasnt right, I was playing balls up to my RB and the RMF who was 20 odd yards ahead would get selected and come running back for it. I have yet to have this problem with 1.03.
The midfield played more advanced but strangely this never made the midfield any tighter. Maybe something to do with the defensive organisation, they were pulled out of position too easily.
Overall it just seemed to make the game easier, I will give it more time but at the moment I would say that 1.03 is far better.

Last edited:
When I was unhappy with the previous versions of PES2012 I used Jenky & Yair patches in an effort to get something for the £25 I paid for the game. Being happy with 1.03 I never felt the need to try a patch but I keep on seeing you say how great the Nesa patch is so I gave it a go. It feels just as broken as the previous official versions to be honest, maybe even worse.
The ball is incredibly heavy, its like a ball from the 1930s. I had a shot and there were a few players in the way and it ricocheted like a pinball, it was very unrealistic. Also because of the weight, sometimes when playing balls into feet it would behave very odd. Overall I did not feel it was an improvement over the 1.03 ball in any way.
The CPU AI was pretty awful in its defensive organisation. Using short passes in its last third I was pulling it all over the place. The individual players didnt seem to know their role positionally and would abandon their post to go chase the ball around. At one point they all seemed to come together in the middle of the pitch.
The one area that I expected massive improvements was build up, a few backward passes aside it wasnt any different.
The shooting is far too easy, my 16 year old striker with 72 shot accuracy and 70 kicking power was consistantly able to get off accurate and powerful strikes. The shooting took no thinking what so ever, whatever the position, I was pointing the stick at goal and tapping the button and getting off good strikes.
My 60 something rated keeper became super human. Before the patch he behaved like an average keeper should, after it he turned into Peter Schmeichel x 100. He moved at the speed of light and felt as strong as Mariusz Pudzianowski.
The passing didnt feel right, it was like the passing in the old versions where it would snap to the wrong player. Also the player switching wasnt right, I was playing balls up to my RB and the RMF who was 20 odd yards ahead would get selected and come running back for it. I have yet to have this problem with 1.03.
The midfield played more advanced but strangely this never made the midfield any tighter. Maybe something to do with the defensive organisation, they were pulled out of position too easily.
Overall it just seemed to make the game easier, I will give it more time but at the moment I would say that 1.03 is far better.

What level and assist level?

No assists and 4 stars. I dont see why that would matter anyway, if 1.03 works fine with those settings why shouldnt a patch?

No assists and 4 stars. I dont see why that would matter anyway, if 1.03 works fine with those settings why shouldnt a patch?

Because patches change a lot of things.

I see the game as this and for me it is NOT about how hard the game is, more a case of fairness and getting the CPU to you fairly.

The console game on Top Player/Superstar I could master to a level, but BEATING the game doesn't interest me. If I have to do certain things just to curtail severe CPU scripting then I get no joy out of that whatsoever. If you want every player to run at you with Maradona like touches then good luck to you. For me, these patches symbolise that you can create a game, a better game, with balance for both you and the CPU, to do things that you both can do.

The reason why the difficulty level may be of importance is that the gameplay patches take out some CPU scripting, some severely handicapping scripting like the lofted through ball which is undefendable should the CPU wish to execute a headed goal (which your CB's are programmed to ran away from their striker for the headed goal). Now again, if this is for you, and you wish to see the CPU score 4 headed goals whilst the CPU takes control over your players, then carry on playing the console on Top Player/Superstar.

The patches for example, like the latest 1.8, are meant to balance the game, so that players who can dribble in real life, can do so in the game, and the players that pass the ball IRL do so in the game also.

I play on Superstar for everything, no assists. It's the only way I like to play. Now if you find the game on Superstar level, using 1.8 patch walk in the park, then you're a better man than me. But I am having some great games with it. The heaviness of the ball may be a trade off, as the balloon like physics without a patch makes the game look laughable. I do agree that a slightly lighter ball would be better, but if it means losing the low drive strikes and have the ball career over the goals like Wilkinson in his prime, then I'd leave that alone.

With these patches, the CPU plays more like a football team would, you know, like pass the ball about a bit. I got to the stage with an unmodded 1.03 where I was just beating the game for beating it's sake, the enjoyment was totally not there. What I was seeing on the screen didn't resemble a game of football at all, more like the CPU park the bus with almost every time, whilst I guarded against the counter attack, time and time again. The CPU would score either through crazy dribbling (even though I pride myself on defence) or the cross, after the lofted through wing ball and pin point cross to the striker where your defender would 'conveniently' start running the other way. This was not my idea of fun.

So I've gone for the patches on Superstar mode. Like I say, if you can master that, then good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom