The "Not happy with PES 2012" thread

Which PES 2012 version do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2 related observations:

So I was reading around this weekend at various websites like the Guardian and ZonalMarking and I came across this article about the Chelsea/Valencia game. Somewhere in there, off topic, the author asked the question: why do teams that "park the bus" concede goals? Of course by park the bus he only meant extremely diligent defense with almost all players behind the ball with everyone except one or two forwards willing to enter the defensive box if necessary. If that is the case, then why do they concede goals? The answer seems obvious: they don't have possession. If the other team has possession, they will score. However, the real answer is just the opposite: they concede goals because they do have possession. Inevitably, statistically, they will gain possession but it will be in their own box, and then when they turn away to play out, what happens? They panic. They look out from their own box, with the ball at their feet, and they see no options. Well, they might see the lone forward picking his nose in the circle, but they don't see their normal receivers and distributors, the midfielders, because those players are busy extricating themselves from the box. Panic and anxiety later, they get dispossessed badly, they concede. If you watched the Barcelona/Valencia game last night, after the score was tied 1-1, this happened all game long, non-stop. Valencia has too many players near the box, they were bound to win possession therefore, when they turned with the ball, they saw no options, they panicked, they were dispossessed. Game over. Of course, on PES 2012 there is just one slight difference. The CPU never panics. That is why you see composed dribbling out of the box and long, accurate passes to the Target man beyond the circle. In effect, I propose that the Target man is the deep-lying distributor in PES 2012. This is further attested by the fact that the CPU CF usually has more ball touches than any of the CPU midfielders. They play diligent defense, win the ball, and launch it to the only option.

Two: how to fix this has been my (our) mission. So now, I've stumbled upon a way, and it has worked for me, but I want to say first that none of this is my own. I've read all of this in one way or another on this website, but I am trying to articulate it (as much for myself) and I also would love some peer-review, as it were. In other words, does this work for you? Therefore, I played the game we all know: unassisted, Professional level, with default tactics. I chose a terribly mediocre Eredivisie side, Roda, for my side and for the CPU side. In other words, everything is exactly mirrored. Well, we know how this book is written: 63/37 possession, their CF had the most ball touches on their team. Despite the tactics being possession, (I kept checking to see if they had switched) it was all long-ball and rapid counter attack) blah, blah, blah. Afterward, I edited the tactics using the Google spreadsheet listed elsewhere on this website (I think I chose the tactics for Manchester United--0 support, 2 distance, etc.). I replayed the game using only Roda again, on Professional--same thing, long ball, counter attack, CF with the most ball touches, 62/38 possession. In other words, the CPU clearly ignored the extreme tactics I had set for it. Final game: I played the same team, with the edited tactics, unassisted passing, etc, but this time on Superstar level: I was stunned. They played quick, short passes, they passed laterally, they held possession reasonably well, not more than 4 or 5 long balls to the CF. I couldn't believe the statistics: possession was 56/44. Even better, the CF had less ball touches than the two CMFs. Of course it goes without saying that I was crushed 0-3 (although it wasn't so bad since my own players were scoring on me since both teams were Roda--there was an awkward moment when a player applied a cynical tackle to himself!) Verdict: on Superstar, the CPU played according to the extreme tactics I had set for it, and they preferred not to relinquish possession, and they preferred (even when the option was available, because it was iffy, and because their tactics were extremely short-ball) not to launch it to the CF near the circle.

So I've played 3 games this way, all Roda vs. Roda. I've never achieved 60% possession. All three games I gave the CPU some extreme set of tactics and, amazingly, they played that way. Of course I freely admit to losing all three games, but that is another matter. In all three games, a CPU CMF instead of the CF had the most ball touches on his team.

Please note: when editing tactics, chose an extreme tactic as a test: support 0, distance 2, line 15, press 4, etc. Also, edit the first formation only and set the other three to standard. Also, my own team's press setting is never above 6 (we are not cyborgs!). Game time must be 20 minutes, minimum.

Good day!

Last edited:
Had a horrific session PES12 last night, whereby everything that is wrong with the game was on show in every match.

- Commentators yelling "He's curled it, its a goal to remember forever" when in fact it was a scrappy 2 yard tap in.
- CPU players, any player from any team, adopting a Messi-like dribbling ability and waltzing through my team
- CPU players being given free klicks for any tiny little challenge, even fair ones where i won the ball cleanly, despite the fact I dont get freekicks/penalties for fouls that are almost assault
- Piss poor defensive AI, where my CPU controlled defenders just wander away from or fail to react to danger balls
- CPU handicapping me when it plays lofted through balls over my defence, in that i will track the CPU runner with my defender, only for the CPU to momentarily stop my defender, turn him to face the wrong direction, then have him carry on his run, this gives the CPU attacker that 1 yard of space he needs to get a shot away.
- Despite the fact that my attacker is on a red form arrowm in loads of space, ball is out from under his feet, has good stats, not under pressure, is in the right contextual position and the ball is on his stronger foot, even from 6 yards out, the CPU will direct my shit straight at the keeper.
- Games often feel lesss responsive and sluggish during night matches.
- passing is inconsistent, passes fly 40 yards with a deft tap of the pass button, on unassisted or 1 bar assist
- My pacy wingers bomb down the flanks, yet the tiniest nudge from a slower defender will send my winger into a stumble, the only outcome being me losing posession, no inertia or momentum is taken into consideration
- Animations, horrible, especially the R2 control shot, where the balls looks as if its just teleporting away from the players foot.

This is my 12th season in ML on PES12, so im not just slating the game for the sake of it, but i dont know how much longer i can tolerate the above points and others.

Not sure why you tolerate it at all. I absolutely recognise everything you describe and it's a timely reminder to me as to why I gave up on this game months ago.

I've been getting the urge to go back to PES because FIFA gets worse every time I play it - it's about 95% scripted. But having read your post about PES12, and also ccshopland's about PES11, I might just give PES11 another go. I remember quite enjoying it for a few months, despite feeling like a half-finished beta version.

This forum is really going downhill, looking at this thread.

I mean pj_puttz, why is he still here? didn't anyone realize he's has nothing better to do all day but argue, i knew this back in October when he lost an argument against my because his posts just turned into petulant insults rather than staying on topic for no reason. He ain't gonna listen to nobody, his goal is just for everyone to be miserable as him. That's the truth. He won't stop until everyone hates the game as much as he does.

Klash, I am here to discuss why I am unhappy with PES 2012 and I am doing so in the correct thread last time I checked. As you can see from the 80 odd pages of criticism of the game I am not the only one who feels the need to do this, yet you chose to single me out. I think the real question here is why does the very existence of a negative PES thread irritate you so much? I cant really remember arguing with you about PES but I'm pretty sure I didn't throw any insults around without being provoked first and your recollection of how I "lost" the argument is probably pretty rose tinted to say the least. At least this argument you mention explains why you felt the need to single me out. Did something I say hit a nerve that day? ;)

There are people being beheaded in Lybia for the colour of their skin. The Elite are thinking of more and more ways to take our freedom away from us with NDAA, google etc..

Yes Klash and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of forums on the internet dedicated to discussing those things. Why would we talk about them on a PES forum? We dont come here for a "life lesson" from you or anyone else, we come here to share our dismay at how bad PES has become.

You clearly dont like talking about flaws in PES so why did you come back here? There are quite a lot of folk who love PES 2012 hanging around this thread lately yet I am the one who is consistently blamed for starting arguments.

Strange that dont you think?

:COOL:

Last edited:
Here we go again ... can we please stay on topic and stop turning this once again into "Not happy with another poster" thread?

Here we go again ... can we please stay on topic and stop turning this once again into "Not happy with another poster" thread?

Apologies for my part in continuing the discussion and going off topic but where were you two pages ago when Klash had a go at me? He could not have been MORE off topic if he tried considering how he was telling us all not to complain about PES on a PES complaint thread!

I have replied to his post which singled me out specifically, that's all. A bit of consistency would be nice, or am I to be the stooge who gets the blame for all the arguments in this thread?

On my behalf, consistency in doing what? Moderator's job? He did intervene, IIRC. Too late, but he did. So, what's the point in continuing this?

On my behalf, consistency in doing what? Moderator's job? He did intervene, IIRC. Too late, but he did. So, what's the point in continuing this?

Your "here we go again" patter could have appeared soon after Klash's comments but you waited until I had replied before commenting. That's what I'm saying.

Sure there's no real point in continuing it but no one seemed to have a problem with him starting it did they? Am I not allowed the right of reply? The same right of reply you just exercised against my post about your comment?

I have nothing against you and I'm not having a go at you, I'm just pointing out that quite a few people are only too happy to have a go at my posts while ignoring others which are just as bad or worse.

Now you're implying something that does not stand ... you know I've been waiting for your reply only to have a dig at you the moment you replied? C'mon ...

By looking at last page, this thread finally started to revert back into something constructive ... is public revival of a week-old argument and going totally off topic doing any good right now? That's all, no need to 'go there again'.

Now you're implying something that does not stand ... you know I've been waiting for your reply only to have a dig at you the moment you replied? C'mon ...

By looking at last page, this thread finally started to revert back into something constructive ... is public revival of a week-old argument and going totally off topic doing any good right now? That's all, no need to 'go there again'.

This is classic! :LOL:

You can reply to me and tell me off for replying to someone but because you say "that's all, no need to go there again" I have no right of reply and it will be MY fault for keeping the discussion going if I do reply? Brilliant!

I didn't say I knew you had been waiting for my reply did I? I said you could have said "here we go again" after Klash's comment but didn't. Only you can explain why that happened.

I've been away for a few days and decided to catch up on what I have missed by reading the last couple of pages. I saw Klash's comment and I replied to it.

That's all that happened here. The irony of this situation is that YOU are the one who has actually kept the argument going with your "here we go again" post because Klash did not reply.

Anyhoo, seeing as you missed my point entirely I'll reiterate it:

I'm not having a go at you, I merely used your post as an example of how certain people on here can post what they like with no comeback whereas I am deemed "fair game" to jump all over even when I am only replying to a post which has mentioned me directly. As there is no "Things I do not like about the things I do not like about PES thread" I posted my thoughts here.

PS You can "go there" as many times as you like to my posts mate. I dont mind. That's what forums are for after all.

PPS I'm more than happy to discuss any PES issues you have too, if you would care to mention any instead of moaning about my discussion with another poster.

:COOL:

LOL Amusing, toys back in the pram boys, cmon....
Putzz is a bit of a scapegoat for bitching at, Klash gets moody when no one agrees with him, and Zlac, you carried on the whining longer than was needed.

get over it, get back to discussing PES and move on....

Brilliant news (hopefully) for the PC brigade....Nesa thinks he has found the info for CPU pressure, dribbling etc...this could be one hell of a find, and could open the game up to be great, once the CPU dribbling is eradicated for more lateral and backward passes!

Brilliant news (hopefully) for the PC brigade....Nesa thinks he has found the info for CPU pressure, dribbling etc...this could be one hell of a find, and could open the game up to be great, once the CPU dribbling is eradicated for more lateral and backward passes!

You can get rid of the mental dribbling through player stats. Using tnne default stats imbrohimivic used to be able to dribble from the half way line. I cut his dribbling accuracy and speed and he doesn't try it any more

I just can't play the PS3 version any more though Chimps, it's just too broken for me. So it's PC for 2012 but I find I get enjoyment out of 2011 on either the PS3 or PC!

This...

It's been the golden chalice for me, to get the CPU to keep the effin ball!

What I want in a game is for both teams to resemble the principles of football well. If for example I have to build up play, be patient, create passing lanes etc etc, then so to should the CPU, the game would be much more immersive for me if the CPU actually worked me around the park as in real life.

You hit the nail on the head with your observations perfectly.

I'm stuck in a situation whereby I feel the game is short-changing me because instead of trying to beat the CPU, I'm more interested in creating ways for the CPU to keep possession, as they seem just dead keen on giving the ball away after three passes. And the problem? The CPU attacking AI is just way, way too direct, because it doesn't mirror the way the human player has to play.

In PES 2011 there were glimpses of the CPU actually passing the ball amongst its back four to work you forward and therefore create space in midfield. The problem with PES 2012 adopting this CPU direct attitude is that almost every game is now attack followed by counter attack. The CPU needs to have the same type of programming as the human player, and they should be passing the ball amongst the back and the midfield not for show, but rather as a means to an end and for a purpose.

It should be very very difficult, for both the CPU and the human player just to go from front to back in no time, unless you go long which is a tactic that is just overlooked in PES (and FIFA).

The trouble with PES as it stands is that zero assists is al over the shop and frustrating, whereas and other assists makes passing too easy. Why do professional footballers look to go long sometimes? Because they are under pressure to do so from effective defensive unit pressure. Why do back fours pass the ball to one another for up to two minutes at a time? To create space to exploit. Now I can quite clearly remember in PES 5/6 that the CPU actually passed the ball amongst it's backline if you attacked in units well enough, so where is this kind of defensive game nowadays? The main problem with PES, is that it is too easy to play football as the human controlled player and pass like Barce with almost any team, whilst the CPU has un-erring dribbling attacking accuracy. This makes for this type of game -

HUMAN PLAYER - keeps the ball for ages. Goals are dependant on how long you keep the ball. I can actually keep the ball forever, but I am always aware of the CPU counter threat. End result Human Player gets 60% possession minimum and sometimes up to 70%

CPU - defends with great efficiency, looks to break fast and decisively. CPU attackers are direct and look primarily to dribble.

I had a game earlier against Spurs, at Spurs, and they played counter attack. They were third and I was fourth, and I ended up with 70% possession from the first half. They kept the ball better second half and the overall total was 62% to me.

BUT - the underlying principle in this is that the CPU has different rules from the human player. Games of football between the top sides are never far away from 50-50% possession. So why can't KONAMI programme the God-damn CPU to work me round the pitch and keep hold of the ball?

It seems the programming is designed to beat the human player not by good football, but rather cheap dribbling tricks, altering your player positions and having silly scripts everywhere.

With all football releases near enough, it seems you have to try your absolute damndest to slow the horse down, and to literally MAKE it into a simulation where passing lanes are cut off, player positioning and defensive positioning (from front to back) is the key factor in stopping moves.

I am honestly getting to the stage where I'd rather have a midfield slug-fest with no shots on goals for the entire half than have 17 shots on goal and the ball careering from end to end, with virtually the entire midfield space resembling no-man's land!

Passing for the human has to be made harder, but the trade off is that the entire CPU programming has to be scrapped and made to play off an even keel against the human player; we both sing off the same hymn sheet with regards to player abilities, the only thing differentiating these players is the stats themselves. Why is Heskey like f'kin Maradona on every iteration of PES for example? The guy can't dribble, and can't score thunderbolts from thirty yards, so why is he doing it in PES? Now headers are a different kettle of fish. This is what the old games gave us; player individuality because you felt that both you and the CPU were on an even footing. I once bought Wallner on PES 6 for his heading ability alone, and he was a demon in the air. Now, I have God-dam Downing scoring two headers a game! When was the last time he scored a headed goal?!?

It's all this stuff that needs to be corrected in my book!

Good post

So I've played about a dozen games in my ML in the past few days, everything working well, good times. And then I just played two games that were in the Amsterdam Arena during the day (I'd previously played there in the day, no troubles) and both games felt like a hockey match broke out. I think the speed must have been +5. At times it was comical and approaching something terribly absurd. Any ideas on this...?

The most disappointing thing about it was that the CPU team seemed to have reverted back to default tactics and style of play on Professional level. Before I started my ML I edited all tactics using the Google Spreadsheet available in another thread and, using Superstar level, all the teams were playing like they were scheduled to, none of that nonsense long-ball to the target man over and over again. Now, two games in the day at the Arena and both were back to the ping-pong. I played a match against VVV and their support is scheduled to be 4 and their distance 2, but sweet lord it was nothing but long balls like on Professional level with default tactics. I confirm this once again by noting that the CPU CF had the most ball touches on the team, whereas previously on Superstar with edited tactics the midfielders have been getting the most ball touches, as appropriate.

Now I've just finished a match against PSV at the Burg Station. It appeared to be early evening, kind of dusky, and all was fine. They played as scheduled, great game, possession 56-44, CPU midfielders with the most ball touches.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind.

I am honestly getting to the stage where I'd rather have a midfield slug-fest with no shots on goals for the entire half than have 17 shots on goal and the ball careering from end to end, with virtually the entire midfield space resembling no-man's land!

The whole post was excellent but I have singled out this paragraph because it is one of the things that really stands out when I play PES 2012. The complete and utter lack of intelligent midfield play.

Because of the AI's insistence on playing super defensive counter attacking football at all times no matter what team it has control of I can literally pass the ball around the midfield all game if I choose to with little or no pressure from the AI.

I then find myself craving a scrappy midfield tussle just to break up the tedium of constantly attacking the AI's goal.

On another point, I had a look at some of the goals posted on another thread yesterday and I was amazed at how they were being drooled over. I agree that in the context of the game they are decent goals but I was struck more by the complete lack of realism shown in those examples. The players seem to float over the pitch while the defenders crowd around ineffectually, the dribble animation is almost non-existent and the upper body hardly moves at all. The shooting animation looks in total contrast to the player's body shape and just seems to fly off the boot with little or no indication of how the power was generated. Close inspection of goals or pretty much anything in PES 2012 reveals these flaws in stark detail as far as I'm concerned.

I can appreciate the goals being good in the context of a computer game given the restrictions placed within it but my mind cannot fill in the blanks required to make me believe they are in any way realistic.

So I've played about a dozen games in my ML in the past few days, everything working well, good times. And then I just played two games that were in the Amsterdam Arena during the day (I'd previously played there in the day, no troubles) and both games felt like a hockey match broke out. I think the speed must have been +5. At times it was comical and approaching something terribly absurd. Any ideas on this...?

The most disappointing thing about it was that the CPU team seemed to have reverted back to default tactics and style of play on Professional level. Before I started my ML I edited all tactics using the Google Spreadsheet available in another thread and, using Superstar level, all the teams were playing like they were scheduled to, none of that nonsense long-ball to the target man over and over again. Now, two games in the day at the Arena and both were back to the ping-pong. I played a match against VVV and their support is scheduled to be 4 and their distance 2, but sweet lord it was nothing but long balls like on Professional level with default tactics. I confirm this once again by noting that the CPU CF had the most ball touches on the team, whereas previously on Superstar with edited tactics the midfielders have been getting the most ball touches, as appropriate.

Now I've just finished a match against PSV at the Burg Station. It appeared to be early evening, kind of dusky, and all was fine. They played as scheduled, great game, possession 56-44, CPU midfielders with the most ball touches.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind.

You're not losing your mind, the game is a complete mess on PS3. I (once) again booted up the PS3 version thinking things had changed last night, tried professional level zero assists, 02 game speed, pitch side this time. The game is all over the place. Lost an FA Cup tie v Birmingham in which the game was so heavily rigged it beggared belief. I had two clear one on ones saved (and a penalty missed by Adam) only for them to score in the 80th minute, a free kick that I manually positioned my keeper for but he just didn't dive or anything. Oh and their first goal was the most pathetic long distance slow drooping header you'l ever see, the very next attack after my goal.

Then I won 3-2 v Everton, but again the game was heavily rigged. Went 3-0 up before the game played weirdly, players clattering into each other, Messi AI god skills coming to the fore. Their first goal was a result of get this, three deflections into the path of a striker. Their second? A 20/22 yard strike which went along the floor, THROUGH, the keepers legs.

This was after I scored a cross from the touchline which is un-defendable for both me and the CPU, for a headed goal. The first game played okay, apart from some weird slow ball physics, but the second, especially after I scored, went super fast.

Can't remember which game it was, may be the Everton game where I had the 'PES powers' for five minutes, it was comical stuff indeed. And this is the problem with the game on PS3 when it clicks it is excellent, but then there are lots of times where it just plays shit.

Take at look at this, firstly when PES decides it wants to play. A nice Henderson R2 controlled finish, lovely.
http://youtu.be/6HJ0NkH80Fw

Then a lovely Gerrad strike (I did press bottom right mind, and the shot went top left!).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAvm3dBbwe4&feature=youtu.be

Then a comedy moment from Everton.
http://youtu.be/u5v4zO8wfQk

The last twenty minutes of that Everton game Everton went from playing some football to basically ALL becoming Messi, it was joke to be honest. And this is what breaks the game IMO. Another point is though although I CAN play with zero assists it handicaps you even more because the CPU defence is so concentrated in getting back in numbers that to slow the game down is a cardinal sin. Which is way the game is best played as fast as possible and to join in with the CPU way of thinking and just attack like hell on the counter.

@PJ

You're absolutely right...the fact that I can score some spectacular goals is not the point, it's the way you get to that point and the execution of the shot which just drains all the excitement out of it. Been playing a lot of PES 2011 lately and the animations in that are far superior to 2012, shooting is much more satisfying, and generally just the passing and ball physics are better. At least they look like players that are passing the ball and striking the ball.

On another point, I had a look at some of the goals posted on another thread yesterday and I was amazed at how they were being drooled over. I agree that in the context of the game they are decent goals but I was struck more by the complete lack of realism shown in those examples. The players seem to float over the pitch while the defenders crowd around ineffectually, the dribble animation is almost non-existent and the upper body hardly moves at all. The shooting animation looks in total contrast to the player's body shape and just seems to fly off the boot with little or no indication of how the power was generated. Close inspection of goals or pretty much anything in PES 2012 reveals these flaws in stark detail as far as I'm concerned.

I can appreciate the goals being good in the context of a computer game given the restrictions placed within it but my mind cannot fill in the blanks required to make me believe they are in any way realistic.

FIFA doesnt have completely superb realistic animations all the time either. Konami arent gonna mo-cap every single twist and turn and roll of the complete body for every single shooting scenario are they.
There must be a million different ways the body can shape up when performing a shot, no videogame will ever 100% realistically portray this.

Admittedly there are some awful animations, or lack of in PES, namely the R2 Controlled shot where the ball looks as if its just teleported off the foot, theres no swing, no opening uip of the body, just an angled instep and whooooooosh the ball flies away. But most other shooting animations are contextual generic filler animations.
In the most part they look ok, in real time in game, they do the job decently enough without wowing the player, but if you're sitting there, replaying every shot in slow mo from all angles just to find fault with every little animation then thats just being picky for the sake of it.

FIFA doesnt have completely superb realistic animations all the time either. Konami arent gonna mo-cap every single twist and turn and roll of the complete body for every single shooting scenario are they.
There must be a million different ways the body can shape up when performing a shot, no videogame will ever 100% realistically portray this.

Admittedly there are some awful animations, or lack of in PES, namely the R2 Controlled shot where the ball looks as if its just teleported off the foot, theres no swing, no opening uip of the body, just an angled instep and whooooooosh the ball flies away. But most other shooting animations are contextual generic filler animations.
In the most part they look ok, in real time in game, they do the job decently enough without wowing the player, but if you're sitting there, replaying every shot in slow mo from all angles just to find fault with every little animation then thats just being picky for the sake of it.

It's just the whole inconsistency though which ruins the game. Yesterday I had a lovely bouncing ball to hit on the volley, no pressure, perfect angle blah blah blah, and Henderson floats one toward the keeper at two mile an hour, after I powered the bar to full. Now on 2011 this would have been a rocket, IRL it would have been a rocket. So why can't Henderson kick a ball hard then?

Then there are other times where I want a controlled drive, low and skiddy but not too hard, and the ball careers into the top corner. What makes it worse is that the animation and tiny bit of foot movement makes it look like he's going to pass the ball three yards and yet it careers like an Exocet!

It just spoils the moment. Take that Gerrard strike in my clip above, this was as far bottom right as I could muster on the analogue, he's going away from where he eventually puts it and yet it goes top left like a rocket, I mean what's that all about?

@ ccshopland:

I have played PES 2011 recently too and it is by far the superior game compared to PES 2012 in every department. I cannot understand how Konami took a decent product and turned it into a complete shambles.

@ PJR

That's just it, I am not the one sitting replaying everything in slow motion, it's the people who are posting these goals up and being pretty OTT over them who are playing them again and again and marvelling at how realistic they look. I think it takes quite a lot of suspension of disbelief or filling in the blanks to watch replays over and over again like that and still claim they are realistic.

I tend to not even bother watching replays that often when I play because it makes me even more aware of the game's flaws. The last thing I need is to make myself even MORE miserable about this game than I already am.

:LOL:

It's just the whole inconsistency though which ruins the game. Yesterday I had a lovely bouncing ball to hit on the volley, no pressure, perfect angle blah blah blah, and Henderson floats one toward the keeper at two mile an hour, after I powered the bar to full. Now on 2011 this would have been a rocket, IRL it would have been a rocket. So why can't Henderson kick a ball hard then?

Then there are other times where I want a controlled drive, low and skiddy but not too hard, and the ball careers into the top corner. What makes it worse is that the animation and tiny bit of foot movement makes it look like he's going to pass the ball three yards and yet it careers like an Exocet!

It just spoils the moment. Take that Gerrard strike in my clip above, this was as far bottom right as I could muster on the analogue, he's going away from where he eventually puts it and yet it goes top left like a rocket, I mean what's that all about?

^^ Completely agree with all the above, I mistook your previous post for being the actual animation that performs the shot, whereas what you have described above is more the actual core shooting engine itself, and we all know PES12 shooting is broke.

The feeling I get is that I never quite know in PES12 what kind of shot im gonna pull off, as in i know what i want to achieve but am never confident it will happen.

@ ccshopland:

@ PJR

That's just it, I am not the one sitting replaying everything in slow motion, it's the people who are posting these goals up and being pretty OTT over them who are playing them again and again and marvelling at how realistic they look. I think it takes quite a lot of suspension of disbelief or filling in the blanks to watch replays over and over again like that and still claim they are realistic.

I tend to not even bother watching replays that often when I play because it makes me even more aware of the game's flaws. The last thing I need is to make myself even MORE miserable about this game than I already am.

:LOL:

I try not to either, as I will score a goal that goes in the corner and find myself watching the replay to see if my shot was actually directed at the corner or wether it went central and bounced or defelcted into the corner.

I agree that the whole animation thing in PES isnt brill in alot of areas, but in all fairness in other areas, such as little dribbling nuances, changes of foot etc it does look really good.
Its almost as if Konami started animating via one type of system (more organic, fluid) then stopped and did the rest with drawn stick men in MS paint.

Absolutely bang on again mate.

I cant understand how anyone can disagree with those basic facts about PES 2012. It's not a question of the shooting mechanic being complicated or contextual because it's neither of those things really. It is simply inconsistent.

What happened in your examples should NEVER happen in a football game or any other game IMO. When a game starts to ignore your input it's time to reach for the off button for me. It is unacceptable.

Good post and this quite succinctly describes my feelings on shooting.

It's not that I want every shot to be a pile-driver nor go precisely where I aim for, but I want more consistency and logic in the shooting mechanic. Shooting is often contextually wrong.

I guess I don't "see" the hidden depths of the shooting mechanic (:YAWN:).

I agree with you all, regarding the shooting system. Its just wrong, theres no crap of contextual, or body position. The AI sometimes, just choose it for you, if you are meant to score, than you could fill the bar, or you could just tap it, and point left or right, that the shoot will go in, wether you choose that side or not.

Yeasterday i was playing in MLO, and i win 3 games in a row, 2 of them with goals like that, on the first goal, i was outside entering the area, no one behind me, body position 100% right, and i fill the bar 3/4 to put the ball in the top corner, and what happened... the ball goes at 1 MPH, low and weak, just to see the keeper, make a static dive and the ball, going in slow, slow, slow. What was my satisfaction in scoring that goal, and winning that match? NONE.

the other match was pretty the opposite, i was making a diagonal from left side to the middle, i passed trough my opposition, and tapped square+R2, to make a soft low shoot, to the bottom right corner, and the ball left the foot of my player like a rocket hit the bar close to the top corner and in to the goal, one of my amazing goals, in PES 2012, but the thing is it wasnt me, its not the input i want, just the CPU deciding that i was going to score.

I agree with you all, regarding the shooting system. Its just wrong, theres no crap of contextual, or body position. The AI sometimes, just choose it for you, if you are meant to score, than you could fill the bar, or you could just tap it, and point left or right, that the shoot will go in, wether you choose that side or not.

Yeasterday i was playing in MLO, and i win 3 games in a row, 2 of them with goals like that, on the first goal, i was outside entering the area, no one behind me, body position 100% right, and i fill the bar 3/4 to put the ball in the top corner, and what happened... the ball goes at 1 MPH, low and weak, just to see the keeper, make a static dive and the ball, going in slow, slow, slow. What was my satisfaction in scoring that goal, and winning that match? NONE.

the other match was pretty the opposite, i was making a diagonal from left side to the middle, i passed trough my opposition, and tapped square+R2, to make a soft low shoot, to the bottom right corner, and the ball left the foot of my player like a rocket hit the bar close to the top corner and in to the goal, one of my amazing goals, in PES 2012, but the thing is it wasnt me, its not the input i want, just the CPU deciding that i was going to score.

^^ Exactly that. I wonder if Konami even know that people are unhappy with shooting, its obviously been coded that way on purpose, its an intentional aspect of the game, probably in an attempt to nerf cricket scores due to the constant attack-attack flow of the matches.
Do we hold much confidence of it being addressed?

Imagine if the devs of the F1 Racing game coded it so that every now and then, approaching a bend, if you steer left, the game makes u steer right instead.... just so you dont take too many corners successfully!!!!>?!>!

I think we just need to accept how PES is now and that is a really quirky Japanese title with odd things happening in it. Quirky animations, Quirky sound, Quirky control's etc etc. And while some will argue it has always been quirky (which i would agree with) it was never so extreme before this gen that it just felt odd.

^^ Exactly that. I wonder if Konami even know that people are unhappy with shooting, its obviously been coded that way on purpose, its an intentional aspect of the game, probably in an attempt to nerf cricket scores due to the constant attack-attack flow of the matches.
Do we hold much confidence of it being addressed?

Imagine if the devs of the F1 Racing game coded it so that every now and then, approaching a bend, if you steer left, the game makes u steer right instead.... just so you dont take too many corners successfully!!!!>?!>!

This was my argument a while back about the shooting and I used exactly the same comparison with racing games or shooting games, so you're spot on. The fact that I can score a stunning array of goals is incidental, I want to score them using the inputs that I desire. That Gerrard goal I scored last night was a cracker, but it was TOTALLY different to what I had in mind.

So when the ball hits the roof of the net top left and I wanted a pile-driver grass cutter bottom right, then the entire moment is lost. And I'm with everyone here, there is no hidden depth or combination of buttons that I'm missing out on, the shooting is borked, it's as simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom