The adaptive offline Copa América 2015 challenge

,----
| MATCH: CHI-MEX
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
| MY TEAM: CHI
| RESULT: loss 0-2 (did not finish match)
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
`----

This was the first match of the challenge I did not enjoy, because I messed up the setup from the get go.

Chile has a 5-something formation, with CMFs on top of the defensive five. No DMFs by default, and the CBs are not particularly strong. This formation turned out to be an absolute disaster against superstar. Because CBs do not close down space laterally to stop runs - that's just the way the defensive AI is atm - the Mexicans were breaking through the middle as they pleased. I had set up a low defensive line and containment to middle, but my defensive line was basically useless against runs through the middle, and Mexico obviously had attack through center set. It was 0-2 before I knew it

Fortunately a storm broke out, and I had to disconnect my PS4 to protect it against a possible lightning. I thought about playing a rematch, but that wouldn't have been fair. Hence 0-2 it is - could have easily been 0-4 at 90'. I did actually play the match a couple of times in order to learn something. I was eventually able to churn out a 0-0 draw with a 5-2-2-1 with two DMFs.

I did know beforehand that I usually have to play a defensive formation against superstar, but I thought the back five would have been strong enough. Lesson learned: against superstar, I will always protect my back line with at least one DMF.

Lami, I'll soon post instructions on making a highlight video on PS4.

Lami,

Here's a quick guide to creating highlight videos with your PS4.

Setup.

1. Press Share-button, then Options-button. Select "Share settings", "Video Clip Settings". Set "Length of Video Clip" to "1 Minute".

2. It is also possible at this point to link your PS4 to your YouTube account, which makes sharing videos easier. If you want to do this, you can set up the link now in share options. I have not linked the two, because my YouTube account is also an email account. I transfer my PS4 videos to a PC via a USB stick, and upload them from the PC.

Regular use.

1. When something interesting happens in a match, press Share-button, wait a short while, and then press square-button to save a 1 minute clip of what happened.

2. After the match launch ShareFactory and start a new project. Give it any name you wish.

3. ShareFactory will pop up a list from which you can choose the clips you want to include in the video. The newest clips come first, so you usually want to include them in reverse order. It will also include by default an intro and two outros, which you can now exclude if you want to.

4. ShareFactory will now bring up a timeline of the video. If you don't want to edit the clips, just press Options-button and then select "Render Movie". This will create a new mp4 file into your "Capture Gallery".

5. You can now share the new video directly via YouTube, or upload it to your PC via a USB stick. Note: If you use a USB stick, make sure to format is as EXFAT which in the PS4 is about 100 times faster that FAT32 or other more familiar formats.

6. After I have created a highlight video, I usually delete everything from my "Capture Gallery", so that the next time I create a highlight video I know none of the clips in the gallery are old.

Ask if you need additional tips. Here's a link to ShareFactory guide:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4/SHAREfactory-How-to-guide/m-p/21321441

*aLe,

catching up with some of your videos after my return.

CHI-BOL: Great comeback after a depressing start.

MEX-ECU: That's a solid result against such an opponent. Looked like a tight match with fewer chances than usual.

URU-PAR: Nice to see a sunny day match on a refreshing pitch. You keep achieving excellent results with weaker teams. That 1-1 goal... CLEAR!? ;)

Will return to other videos later.

Lami,

Here's a quick guide to creating highlight videos with your PS4.

Setup.

1. Press Share-button, then Options-button. Select "Share settings", "Video Clip Settings". Set "Length of Video Clip" to "1 Minute".

2. It is also possible at this point to link your PS4 to your YouTube account, which makes sharing videos easier. If you want to do this, you can set up the link now in share options. I have not linked the two, because my YouTube account is also an email account. I transfer my PS4 videos to a PC via a USB stick, and upload them from the PC.

Regular use.

1. When something interesting happens in a match, press Share-button, wait a short while, and then press square-button to save a 1 minute clip of what happened.

2. After the match launch ShareFactory and start a new project. Give it any name you wish.

3. ShareFactory will pop up a list from which you can choose the clips you want to include in the video. The newest clips come first, so you usually want to include them in reverse order. It will also include by default an intro and two outros, which you can now exclude if you want to.

4. ShareFactory will now bring up a timeline of the video. If you don't want to edit the clips, just press Options-button and then select "Render Movie". This will create a new mp4 file into your "Capture Gallery".

5. You can now share the new video directly via YouTube, or upload it to your PC via a USB stick. Note: If you use a USB stick, make sure to format is as EXFAT which in the PS4 is about 100 times faster that FAT32 or other more familiar formats.

6. After I have created a highlight video, I usually delete everything from my "Capture Gallery", so that the next time I create a highlight video I know none of the clips in the gallery are old.

Ask if you need additional tips. Here's a link to ShareFactory guide:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4/SHAREfactory-How-to-guide/m-p/21321441

Thanks James, that's how I've been sharing my videos so far :) I've had it set to 15 mins though. I'll definitely try the 1 minute and see how that works. I'm guessing it'll have recorded what has already happened? Like the past minute?

URU-PAR: Nice to see a sunny day match on a refreshing pitch. You keep achieving excellent results with weaker teams. That 1-1 goal... CLEAR!? ;)
I know... I should have kicked it as far as possible as soon as possible. Same mistake I did with Bolivia against Mexico (if I recall correctly): assuming I have space/time to control it and tiki-taka it out of danger (when I actually have neither time nor room for it).

*aLe,

video bonanza continues.

ARG-JAM: Interesting shadow pattern on that pitch. Yes, Argentina is a beast. The 3-0 one timer by Higuain was perhaps the worst. Excellent timing for the through ball by you in the 3-1 goal.

COL-PER: That 0-1 goal came from out of nowhere. Nice tricks at 2:45! The 1-2 goal looks exactly like one of my classic cursor switching messes.

BRA-VEN: Excellent start, and nice pass backwards in that 0-2 goal. You seem to be collecting red cards at a good rate. :) And then the Neymar show.

Will watch the other videos in this thread tomorrow, assuming you guys don't produce them at an increasing rate.

Yep. I think it's a brilliant feature from Sony.

Interesting.. I usually double tap the share button to start recording at the beginning of the half and tap once at the end of the half to stop recording. I'll try this 1 minute feature soon :) Thanks!

Ok, so I think I'm sticking to uploading my full games for now until I have more time (kids). Hopefully I'll be able to play more today and upload. Can't wait!

Looking forward to see your vids :)
By the way, as I'm currently in tke knockout stage...
How should I consider a possible penalty shootout? Should I treat it as a draw (thing which I'd be inclined to do) or as a win/loss (depending on who will be victorious at the end)?

PES 2015 COPA AMERICA CHALLENGE - QUARTER FINALS
This is going to be a massive post, sorry, as I decided to combine all the QF matches (played over a span of 2 days) into a single post. :LMAO:

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: BOLIVIA - PERU
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: PW
PLAYING AS: BOLIVIA (weaker)
RESULT: 4-0 WIN
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS (higher)
Well, this has not really been a "challenge" I must admit. I became pretty much comfortable playing with Bolivia and this match is no exception.
We have a corner after which their defense makes a very poor clearance. The ball then drops to Eguino's foot and he decides to try the impossible: a dipping shot from 25 metres more or less. And it is in. Current goal of the tournament, hands down.
Then we hit a bar with a free kick (those dotted guides make it too easy, really), Moreno misses a one-on-one with the keeper and by minute 20 we are awarded another free kick.
Moreno takes the free kick and just unleashes a screamer going past the wall and in the back of the net after hitting the post. Too easy, I need to turn that dotted line off.
They try to hit on the counter, with a header going out by inches after a corner, but the first half ends 2-0 to Bolivia.
The second half begins and, well, it happens again: Arce gets tripped. Free kick, Moreno takes it and scores again, this time by curling it past the wall in the bottom corner.
Seriously, those dotted lines are way overpowered.
The remainder of the match just sees Moreno's personal hat trick to make it 4-0.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: CHILE - VENEZUELA
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
PLAYING AS: CHILE (stronger)
RESULT: 1-0 WIN
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW (higher)
Honestly, Chile were pretty much expected to win this with a certain comfort yet they struggled more than needed due to the awfully poor finishing that had many of their shots (especially in the first half) end wide.
They needed to wait during the second half for Edu Vargas to receive a ball with his back to the goal, to turn around and, aiming at the backpost, to slot in the 1-0 goal.
After that, mainly thanks to my "happy defending", Venezuela had a couple of chances to equalize, big thanks to Claudio Bravo for preventing it.
Props also to Vidal that shortly before the end of the match performed a lob that, had it gone in, would have been a serious contender to the "goal of the tournament" award.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: ARGENTINA - MEXICO
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
PLAYING AS: MEXICO (weaker)
RESULT: 1-0 LOSS
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS (lower)
Under a pouring rain, the 'Albiceleste' faced the All-Blacks. No, it's not New Zealand, it's just the new Mexico home kit.
I have to admit Argentina for all the match had the power to split open our defense at their will (but I actually laughed hard when Higuain tried to pull a 'Van Persie' and failed miserably).
We also had a couple of chances in the first half but guess what? Yep, they ended wide. Nil-nil at half time. Still better than I expected.
Then I lost a ball in the midfield and, well, with three passes they got again throuh my defense like it was butter (once again) and scored.
From there on, there was only Mexico attacking and Argentina trying to hit on the counter. The post denied us the equalizer twice, more shots ending wide and a couple of saves by Romero meant that I grew angry enough to try killing an opponent with an insane tackle at the end.
Who cares about the card, Mexico was not going to play the semifinal anyway. :LMAO:

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: BRAZIL - URUGUAY
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
PLAYING AS: BRAZIL (stronger)
RESULT: 4-1 WIN
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW (higher)
An all-blue Brazil faced an all-white Uruguay for the last quarter-final match.
Wonderful start by Brazil, I probably had never had such a start before: a post, a corner, then a save by Muslera. Everything in pretty much 5 minutes.
But the defending champions weren't impressed by that.
They had a chance with Jefferson perfectly anticipating the oncoming opponent, and they scored shortly after. Yes, they scored and made it 0-1 at minute 35 (another candidate to the "goal of the tournament" award, this time by 'Hannibal' Suarez).
But shortly after, Uruguay's defense was caught sleeping: Muslera didn't retain the ball adter a long shot, no-one cared about the ball apart from Lucas Moura that scored the equalizer undisturbed.
At the beginning of the second half, there came the plot twist: Willian in for Oscar, Willian intercepted a bad ball played by a defender some five seconds after, Willian shot, Willian scored. 2-1 to Brazil.
Then a great combination play between Fernandinho and Neymar brought the third goal, and Neymar scored the fourth himself with a tap-in from the edge of the six yard box to end it 4-1.
That's it, defending champions Uruguay had to wave goodbye to the cup.

So, this is what will happen next:
ts5wIzB.png

Yes, Chile and Bolivia head to head again. Same situation as the previous match (me being Bolivia, TW level) but now there can be only one survivor. Who wins advances, who loses goes home.
And well, then we're seeing the match we've all been waiting for: Argentina vs. Brazil! I might also decide to do a little longer vid of that match maybe, but I still don't know.

My PAR-JAM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXscb5ATMs

,----
| MATCH: PAR-JAM
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
| MY TEAM: PAR
| RESULT: loss 1-2
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
`----

This match was lost because of unadulterated greed.

Paraguay went one up early due to a brilliant finish by Oz Caranho. They then switched to a defensive formation. Jamaicans were fast and dangerous, but they were kept somewhat under control.

At 52' there was a very momentary lapse by Paraguayan defense, and it was 1-1. Then greed entered stage. Jamaicans had showed that they were fast, but still the coach of Paraguay decided to switch to an offensive formation. He was pretty sure they could nick this one.

But Jamaicans hit them hard. One through ball, and there was no other choice than to take a red card. After that it only required a minor cursor-switching mess to lose the match. With 10 men, Paraguayans found it hard to penetrate the Jamaican defense.

Wow, for the 2-1 you had a good combination of unlucky events.
Especially the way they got the ball back from you, I don't know if on PS4 it's any different but on PC in those situations when you're shoulder to shoulder with the opponent there's a kind of "deadlock" which lasts pretty much a second in which neither you or the opponent can pass/kick the ball (after which usually the challenger wins the ball from the carrier).

My ARG-URU. Analysis in spoiler as usual.

I am going to start watching your videos next, but as I feared, you are producing them at a faster rate than I can watch them. :) Well, at least you are keeping me entertained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9IMxvCRITY

,----
| MATCH: ARG-URU
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
| MY TEAM: ARG
| RESULT: win 4-1
`----

I had never played with Messi before, and I didn't really know how to utilise him. Actually I only started using him at least a bit effectively during the second half.

Argentina took the lead early and switched to a defensive formation. They had things well under control during the first half: Uruguay had one shot. In the second half the sheer skill difference between the two teams started to show. First Enzo Perez gave us a slightly gamey one man show. Then Messi started to warm up, and provided the first free kick goal of the tournament. The much faster reaction times of the Argentines were evident in the 4-0 goal, where the Uruguayans just could not get hold of the loose ball; this show ended in a fine header by Lavezzi.

At the end Cavani coolly finished a consolation goal for Uruguay after an excellent display of a cursor switching hassle by the Argentinian team.

At the end Cavani coolly finished a consolation goal for Uruguay after an excellent display of a cursor switching hassle by the Argentinian team.
Yeah, that's pretty much common.
Sometimes (especially at the two highest levels) I feel like the CPU needs taht extra "advantage" over the human player so it resorts to messing up player switching or player reactions (as in "the ball is traveling right beside my right foot but I'll just stand here whistling and pretending it's not there" :WHISTLE: ).

It is frustrating at times. Not in this case maybe as it happened when you were 4-0 up, but soon you will see what I mean.

YES, I'M MAD. :CURSE: :RANT: :CENSOR:

Lami,

I watched your first video, CHI-ECU. That's some defending! And it's completely different from how I defend. I jockey, press, use teammate pressure etc. You wait for the attacker to make a move and then you tackle him once. Bam. And that's it. Also, you were never late for a through ball. I don't get how you did that - via radar? - but it was amazing.

I don't think I can replicate what you do, I don't think I have the reflexes to do that. But you've certainly given me something to think. After all, defending is my favourite thing to practice.

You had so many chances, but your guys failed to deliver. I'll continue with the other videos tomorrow.

Lami,

I watched your first video, CHI-ECU. That's some defending! And it's completely different from how I defend. I jockey, press, use teammate pressure etc. You wait for the attacker to make a move and then you tackle him once. Bam. And that's it. Also, you were never late for a through ball. I don't get how you did that - via radar? - but it was amazing.

I don't think I can replicate what you do, I don't think I have the reflexes to do that. But you've certainly given me something to think. After all, defending is my favourite thing to practice.

You had so many chances, but your guys failed to deliver. I'll continue with the other videos tomorrow.

:D Thanks James! I'm just "importing" into PES how I play IRL. Of course I'm not Pro footballer but it works for me IRL among my friends ;) It just needs patience and timing. Oh and yes, I always use the radar. Been using it since my first PES. It's like my vision IRL.

The 3rd game is here!

,----
| MATCH: Jamaica v Uruguay
| MY TEAM: Jamaica
| RESULT: 1-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbYceTgGvrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn3KHctg3Co

From watching the videos you may think it was an easy game, and I can tell you it was quite the opposite. I had to be on my toes the whole 90, patiently keeping the ball and concentrating at all times. One mistake and they score, like they actually did. I managed to come back scoring a header from a nicely sliced cross. I wanted to win so bad but I guess this isn't a bad score for Jamaica!

Last edited:
This inspired me to create a trailer for my channel. And my God this took me quite a while to create! No wonder I'm sticking to full games instead of highlights editing :LOL:

Excuse the amateurish level ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS1QhAp0EUU

I must say that this competition has rekindled my love for PES. Thanks James for creating this :)

I'd really love to keep playing more offline competitions like this one, whatever it is. So much fun!

Yeah, it's true. Once you start one of these you wouldn't stop for anything at all. :BOP:
Just consider I have my PC up and running for something like 18 hours a day to play/edit/upload stuff related to this challenge (usually I play in the evening, I edit straight after and upload in the morning/afternoon when I'm away from home).

My BRA-COL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxrm89AW0bg

*aLe and Lami: I still have a ton of your fine videos and posts in queue, waiting to be watched and read.

*aLe: I think a win in a penalty shootout is as good as a win obtained otherwise. Or?

,----
| MATCH: BRA-COL
| MY TEAM: BRA
| RESULT: win 2-1
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
`----

I really can't attack much with some of these strong teams. Fortunately my guys took the chances they had. I was really, really lucky to nick this one. At least it was realistic that Neymar was the key to both goals.

Lami: I tried to use your method of defending. It worked in a couple of situations, but timing - or should I say the correct distance to the attacker - is pretty tricky: I took a few yellow cards for late challenges.

Next I am going to tickle superstar again.

@both: I'll have a look at the latest videos this evening and report back. :))

@James: well, actually it happened to me and I treated it like a draw. Hope you don't mind.

But now let's have a look at how the semifinals went:

PES 2015 COPA AMERICA CHALLENGE - SEMIFINALS
Finally we're there. Now we know which teams will be battling for the Copa.
Semifinals have ended without big upsets, just some shivers here and there.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: BOLIVIA - CHILE
PLAYING AS: BOLIVIA (weaker)
RESULT: 2-2 DRAW (Chile won on penalties)
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW (same)
This match is what made me mad yesterday. Don't get me started on this, the highlights show pretty much all.
I just get annoyed when players do what they want instead of what they're told to. I've always said "well, this is my fault" when I happened to mess up, but I don't feel this is the case.
In this case, when I was leading 1-0, in the stoppage time nonetheless, a defender of mine simply refused to clear the ball despite having been asked to do so.
Yes, he just stared at it and said "Well, I couldn't be a**ed to kick this away, screw that" instead. Guess what? A player from Chile thanked, scored the equalizer, and voided anything good we had done that far.
Chile also managed to get ahead during the extra time, but like had already happened before Bolivia didn't surrender and finally scored the equalizer.
Then, well, did I ever tell you that I cannot take a penalty to save my own life? You can easily guess what happened next. :FAIL:
We could have won it. Probably we SHOULD have won it. Yet a single mistake made at the wrong time ruined everything. Chile advanced to the final.
Despite this, I just have to thank the usual Moreno, which has been outstanding also this time. Immense, to say the least.
And no, I won't blame him for the missed penalty.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: ARGENTINA - BRAZIL
PLAYING AS: BRAZIL (weaker)
RESULT: 2-0 WIN
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS (higher)
It was supposed to be a tight match, and tight match it was.
All of us expected Neymar to be the man of the match (and he delivered some of his magic again) but I must admit Thiago Silva is the one who made this possible.
He was pretty much everywhere, right place right time in each occasion during the first half even fouling the opponents in a couple of times when it was necessary. Then he had a drop at half time and that's where Argentina started becoming dangerous.
Seriously, Brazil had a very solid game in defense (in one occasion Marcelo cut all the pitch horizontally to try and stop an opponent who was attacking against our RCB position which had been left empty, just sayin') and then managed to get the most out of the chances they had.
Straight after the beginning of the match Neymar tried to deliver a great ball to deliver to Lucas Moura, but the pass wasn't that accurate (the joys of manual passing). Lucas still managed to shoot, but the ball ended wide.
Anyway, the celebrations only had to be delayed. Again Neymar, this time the pass to Lucas is perfect, Lucas fires a shot that Romero can't retain and Neymar is just there to tap it in (well, he pretty much managed to miss it, but eventually it went in).
He will then proceed to declare the match closed during Argentina's best period, in the second half, when he gets past Demichelis with a trick, he aims at goal, and his shot is deflected by Garay past Romero.
Yes baby, 2-0. Brazil is going to the final! :BOP:

So, this is the current situation: Moreno did everything in his power to pull Bolivia through once again, but this time it wasn't enough: Bolivia and Argentina will face each other for the third place, and I'll have the chance to play as Argentina (despite at the highest possible level, Superstar, so wish me luck).
Then we had Neymar once again scoring both the goals that allowed Brazil to defeat Argentina, and it means that Chile and Brazil will be battling for the crown. :KING:

Lami,

I just watched your MEX-BOL. Well played! The opposition was a bit more dangerous here, but somehow in watching you play one gets the feeling that you are always aware of what is happening. For me defending often feels chaotic. Way too often.

On to the next videos...

*aLe,

BOL-PER: The match was a long-range special. Screamers, free kicks. Eguino scored the goal of the tournament. (I noticed you made the same conclusion.)

CHI-VEN: You put a good pressure on the Venezuelans from the very beginning. In the second half the Chileans had a momentary lapse which ended in... Chile scoring! I assume your heart missed a few beats at 80'. Quick thinking to try that lob at the end.

ARG-MEX: Looked like a great match: you created the chances needed to beat Argentina. I can't believe you missed that through ball opportunity at 42'; such an excellent play! And then the post after Messi did the inevitable. The Mexican will go home proud.

BRA-URU: Brazilian fireworks from the very beginning - until Count Suarez emerges. Then total Brazilian domination after the equaliser. Good show! And an impressive result: Uruguay is not an easy opponent at top player.

Last edited:
I've just finishe seeing your Brazil - Colombia, James... I'm impressed by the first goal. Great assist, great run.
Really nice goal.

Their equalizer, well, typical Superstar: sometimes even average players like Ibarbo become quicker and more nimble than well known stars like Neymar and Messi and all you can do is blindly try the tackle hoping it goes well.

The 2-1 goal, well, it's just Neymar. When he has the ball, provided you use him with sense, he's impossible to dispossess. :)

I've just finishe seeing your Brazil - Colombia, James... I'm impressed by the first goal. Great assist, great run.
Really nice goal.
Thanks! I usually vary my gameplay too little, but sometimes you get a new, nice combination.

I noticed today again that you used a trick in the match - I think it was with Neymar - and it looked good. I used to practice skills at some point, but they fell out of my repertoire, and I miss them whenever I see them

Their equalizer, well, typical Superstar: sometimes even average players like Ibarbo become quicker and more nimble than well known stars like Neymar and Messi and all you can do is blindly try the tackle hoping it goes well.

While I'd like to take the credit, it was only top player. Bad response to pressure followed by an insane slide tackle. When I get aggressive, the CPU scores.

With all the buzz about that PES 2016 teaser let us remember that the real Copa begins tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CopaAmerica

While I'd like to take the credit, it was only top player.
My bad, I misread the stats. :CONF:

That 1-0 goal is still impressive though.
Did you use any "teammate control" for it or did Willian's run just come by itself?
I'm tempted to switch to "advanced" teammate control to have more control over the runs of my players, but I reckon I could mess up big time with the controls (I'm thinking at a situation in which I'd have to control a teammate with the right stick and press A or Y to perform a pass).

My PER-VEN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGg6uDaJ0T0

,----
| MATCH: PER-VEN
| MY TEAM: PER
| RESULT: draw 1-1
`----

The match started with Venezuela on the offensive, which resulted pretty quickly in a goal. I was tracking one run, but the CPU had a choice and was wise enough to pass to the other attacker.

Then it was all Peru for a good while. Boy did we have the chances. Bombing away from near and far. Good atmosphere.

But no goal, and it was starting to look grim. Then I brought in new attackers, and my third sub was Vargas, who was in poor form. But he had the guts to put one in after a ... combination? The goal was a result of a complete hassle.

Superstar matches with less than stellar teams are often the most interesting ones in PES. This was no exception.

Did you use any "teammate control" for it or did Willian's run just come by itself?
If I had used teammate control, I'd be mighty proud of that. But unfortunately William ran on his own.

I'm tempted to switch to "advanced" teammate control to have more control over the runs of my players, but I reckon I could mess up big time with the controls (I'm thinking at a situation in which I'd have to control a teammate with the right stick and press A or Y to perform a pass).

I have advanced teammate control set. When I learned it I used it quite a bit, but nowadays I tend to wait for AI controlled players to make runs. Or use pass and move (I never play 1-2s.) Particularly in this challenge I avoid teammate run, because I don't want to try too many "exotic" moves.

Advanced teammate control is not too difficult.
  • Press L1 (and keep it pressed).
  • Point right stick to the direction of the player you want to control.
  • Release right stick.
  • Point right stick to the direction of the run.
  • Release L1.
Again, practising without opponents makes it much easier to learn.

My PER-VEN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGg6uDaJ0T0

,----
| MATCH: PER-VEN
| MY TEAM: PER
| RESULT: draw 1-1
`----

The match started with Venezuela on the offensive, which resulted pretty quickly in a goal. I was tracking one run, but the CPU had a choice and was wise enough to pass to the other attacker.

Then it was all Peru for a good while. Boy did we have the chances. Bombing away from near and far. Good atmosphere.

But no goal, and it was starting to look grim. Then I brought in new attackers, and my third sub was Vargas, who was in poor form. But he had the guts to put one in after a ... combination? The goal was a result of a complete hassle.

Superstar matches with less than stellar teams are often the most interesting ones in PES. This was no exception.

That finish was sweet.

Back
Top Bottom