Starcraft II (PC/Mac)

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Never played Starcraft before, but got sucked in by the shiny-shiny!

Even tried to buy the Spec Ed yesterday in Game, but they wouldnt let me have it as I hadnt pre-ordered.

Anyways, installed it on the MacBook Pro last night and it actually runs very well.

Had a couple of single player matches and got annihilated, so gonna start the campaign mode as I would think this would ease you into the mechanics of the game.

The multiplayer sounds good too, so looking forward to getting into that.

Anyone else?...

Have a 2010 one (i think!). Its 2.53ghz Dual Core2. Gonna stick another 4gb in it as these can run asynchronous RAM (2gb in one slot, 4gb in the other).

That should help.

I think thats the late 2009 version. Mine is 2.53ghz with 4gb ram and 13 inch screen, purchased in October 09'. What graphics setting are you on?

I think thats the late 2009 version. Mine is 2.53ghz with 4gb ram and 13 inch screen, purchased in October 09'. What graphics setting are you on?

Yea, it may well be actually.

I've got the 13" too - havent checked my settings in the game, was late last night and I just wanted to crack on, but as I say, it looked good and ran nice and smooth.

Checked my settings last night (after thinking the game 'looked good') and found everything on "low" :(

Tweaked some settings to medium... must look awesome on highest settings.

so is this like a C&C style game?

Yup exactly, but deeper. The principles are the same (in SP and MP games), start with a base, train robots to collect minerals, use minerals to build new buildings, use buildings to train different units, gather army and attack etc etc.

There are loads of units to build and 3 factions, all perfectly balanced (according to the hardcore fans). Can have 1 v 1, 2 v 2, 2 v 2 v 2 v 2 and free-for-all modes in MP which has 'leagues' of difficulty to match you up to similar skilled players.

Has a campaign story mode too which is surprisingly varied (not always harvest/build/attack) with some great CGI and a bit of RPG and trading between levels.

Nice GUI too and loads of achievements, friend lists etc and another 'challenge' game mode to do set tasks for medals and high scores.

Think this is the game people in Korea have died playing (or at least the original) as they have played it for like 30 hours straight without sleep or food and have literally died at their PCs.

I'm surprised you haven't played the original Starcraft, Radiation; it's possibly the best RTS game ever to come out on the PC in the last 10 years! :)

I'm loving Starcraft 2 so far. I played the game for about 10 hours straight yesterday, I'm about 10-12 missions in and it's just as good as I remember the first. Good story, dialogue and soundtrack. The gameplay is so deep aswell, there's so many different ways you can approach missions. In fact, this game may just tip me back into playing RTS games again.

I'd heard the name of the game lots but just assumed it was some kind of magic and spells sorcery type game set in space. I never knew it was a C&C style game.

Is the official title for this game - Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty or is that some kind of special edition?

Any demos as well for this? I hate it when a new pc game comes out and they don;t bother with a demo expecting everyone to have pcs that will always without fail run the game flawlessly.

Last edited:
StarCraft 2 is split into three instalments: the base game is Wings of Liberty, and two expansion packs are called Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void. It's pretty epic!

There's no demo unfortunately. You can download the full game from battle.net, but you need to purchase an activation code. I assume then that, unactivated, it would let you try the game? I bought mine from ShopTo so unfortunately I can't tell you. All I know is, is that if you buy the disc version you already have the other two expansion packs on the disc.

I'd heard the name of the game lots but just assumed it was some kind of magic and spells sorcery type game set in space. I never knew it was a C&C style game.

Is the official title for this game - Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty or is that some kind of special edition?

Any demos as well for this? I hate it when a new pc game comes out and they don;t bother with a demo expecting everyone to have pcs that will always without fail run the game flawlessly.

I have a code left rad that you can use to download a trial of the game. It's 7 hour trial but least it would give you chance to see how it runs.

The game looks great. I would buy it in an instant. Shame I dont have a powerful enough Mac or PC at the moment. Needs a console port even if playing with the joypad is inferior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been watching this video and in it you see the AI run away from battles when they know they start no chance - and the same happens for the human units. So you don't have to keep your eye on every battle and make every order... the ai will know the best action and do it.

YouTube - StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - Protoss Gameplay Video

Does that actually happen in the real game or is it just scripted for this demo video?

There is also a cool thing where they pause the game but you can move the camera around still. I assume that's in the game but can you make orders while in that state?

Yes, units will flee in a battle. Was quite surprised myself when I saw it!

And in pause, you cannot issue any orders.

I took mine back today... And exchanged it for the collectors edition, which is really nice indeed.

Ohhh yes please. I turned Pbb's down as I thought that Milanista would get more out of it. And I was planning on going and buying this today - but my gamestation aren't selling it for some insane reason. I asked 'how come?' and was told 'oh no one buys pc games so we don't bother stocking them'.

They really are the dumbest gamestation store I have ever been into.

Ohhh yes please. I turned Pbb's down as I thought that Milanista would get more out of it. And I was planning on going and buying this today - but my gamestation aren't selling it for some insane reason. I asked 'how come?' and was told 'oh no one buys pc games so we don't bother stocking them'.

They really are the dumbest gamestation store I have ever been into.

Come to think of it, our Gamestation doesnt sell PC games either.

If you still want the code Rad, drop me a PM and I'll send it on.

I'm tempted to give WoW a go later... anyone tried it before? I dont mind trialling it, but I certainly dont think I'd pay for it.

My gamestation does sell pc games, but they've recently become really shitty at stocking the latest games. The excuse is always 'oh no one wants that' or 'we had no pre orders so we're not stocking it'.

My gamestation does sell pc games, but they've recently become really shitty at stocking the latest games. The excuse is always 'oh no one wants that' or 'we had no pre orders so we're not stocking it'.

Yea, that is bad, but I wonder if its the publishers hand picking outlets for their games now. Cannot remember the game, but it was a recent release... Oh, Blur I think... and Game just didnt stock it or acknowledge it in the charts or anything.

Very odd.

Am really enjoying the campaign. The setting, characters and music really reminds me of Firefly.

I'm finding the campaign a useful learning tool for mp as well. Didn't think I'd be enjoying this game as much as I am.

Really enjoyed the 3rd level of the campaign...

Is that the one with the bunkers and you have to hold off until evac comes?

Finally finished downloading my trial - loved it - went out and bought the game yesterday and played it all afternoon. A lot of fun

Back
Top Bottom