Shooting in PES 6

vanzandt

The answer must be Jam
26 July 2007
Everton
I know it might sound odd but I am new to the game....

Anyway having played all in the series, I love the dribbling and passing but....

Is it just me or (could be only played it for a few days) is the shooting system much worse than in previous versions?

When running towards the near post it seems as though I can either hit it for the near post whereby almost every single keeper tips it spectacularly wide or I can try and go for the far post....in which case it seems to never hit it to the far post instead it hits it right at the keeper?

Also players with even 85 shooting stats and scoring and 1 on 1 stars like Rooney miss absolute sitters..in fact every pl;ayer seems to miss dozens of sitters..

Don't get me wrong I score loads of goals but they all tend to be headers, scrappy spills from the keeper taps ins or running side on at the edge of the pen area...

Am I missing something and just need to pick up the difference in the game oir is the shooting system just awful?

Please don't have a pop just because I am new to this version of the game.

In Pro ev 6 shooting is a lot harder but I like the new one better. You're probably too used to the older versions, in Pro ev 6, timing and balance is a lot more important. You must time your shots well, and make sure that your player is not off balance (too much weight on one foot) when you shoot, otherwise you'll sky-rocket the shot or shoot it straight into the keeper.
The only unrealistic thing I noticed about Pro ev 6 is that sometimes you shoot and the keeper blocks it, and the ball flies straight up into the air, hanging there until the keeper is back on his feet and ready to catch the ball out of his scripted, 'no outside player radius'.

I am used to the shooting of PES 5, but like I say I have played every other version...

In what way is the shooting based more on timing and balance?

I am not talking about first time shots, I'm talking about having the ball at your feet with a top player and monging it wide far tooo often....

It is VERY hard to see at this stage how the shooting system can make sense.

I am scoring plenty, but they are mainly crap goals..headers...scraps etc.

Why am I seeing the likes of Rooney miss 4/5 one on one shots?

I am pressing for the left or right corner say with the ball at feet and I am seeing him miss stupidly wide...almost all the time.

It feels as though I am controlling crap 10 year olds you can't find the net..

It has only been a few days, so I am sticking with it to see if things change, but without a good explanation for what is happening it is hard to see how this is right.

Just seems as though Konami massively improve one or two things each year only to break other aspects of the game that worked perfectly well.

This feels like a really poor twitchy version of the shooting system found in much earlier versions.......

I dunno maybe I'll see it different in a week :roll:

I think the shooting does take time to get used to.

Jaehyun is right, and you also need to consider whether there is a defender hassling/pushing you from behind, as it affects your balance. If you use Adriano - who has awesome Body Balance (97 i think?), its really hard for crappy defenders to give him a hard time when shooting, so he will most likely shoot on target.

I don't think there is any one way of shooting, there are so many variables. I think the best way to approach shooting is to imagine yourself as a striker on the field - which foot do you prefer, do you need to kick the ball out slightly further to give you time to wind up a shot, the angle etc.

Another tip is to use the R2 button when shooting (esp. in the box), the player will use his instep to shoot, its far more accurate but with less power.

Say you have made a clear run - One on One with the GK, I found that if you are running from left to right, completely dead straight in the middle towards the keeper (around the box area), you can confidently tap shoot and hold Diagonal Up OR Diagonal Down (to shoot to the left-hand post, and right-hand post respectively). Tap R2 straight after you pressed shoot (or you can hold R2 whilst shooting, whichever suits mate).

If running from an angle, you might find that doing the same thing will cause your shot to swerve way out of target. In that case, just tap shoot without pressing any direction. Its more about experimenting, and really understanding the player you are using.

Best thing to do, is to give shooting a go in the training! And then plenty of exhibition play!

Trust me mate, when you get the hang of it - the goals are satisfying. It's just the fkn patience and determination.

Don't try too hard though, the new pro evo is coming out soon, ah ffs. It'll be like learning shooting all over again lol.

I use all the tips mentioned above and I still have far too many shots going off target. I'm very particular about getting players to shoot with their preferred foot, while in space and from good angles but the results can still be very random. Sometimes the shots will fly in and sometimes they'll just spoon them wide from identical situations.

I think it's easier to score on the xbox360 version as you see goals scored on that version that would most probably be saved on the PS2 version.

I am also very particular about shooting with players prefered foot.

I am seeing LOTS of missed shots from sitter positions where the player has good stats, is shooting on their prefered foot and is not pressured by a defender and I am picking out the corners.

I have been amazed by how often a player will just hit a ball straight at mad angles that completely miss the goal.

I am seeing the likes of Henry and Rooney looking like they couldn't hit the backside of a cow with a banjo at times.

I also use the controlled shot and not anything special results wise their either...

It seems to me at this stage that the game has certain hot spots for scoring. In previous years it was the cut back (which they now seem to have gone overboard in preventing) and now seems to be headers ala pro evo 3 and goals galore from either scrappy tap ins, out side the box shots or, the big hot spot of running parrallel to the goal and shooting- always seems to work. The latter seems to go in far more often in fact than a sitter from six yards.

And shooting to the near post almost always results in the spectacular tip around the post. Ok that should happen some of the time, but not this much.

Keepers seem to come out to one on ones at nine million miles an hour...

And the amount of times I shoot for the far post only to see the player hit it centrally right at the keeper is doing my nut in.

Does anyone know why this is happening so much, am I doing something wrong here????

I know only too well that things can change in time, and perhaps in time it will click, so I am only saying what I am feeling as of this moment. I know how often your opinion can change with a pro evo game.

I will stick with it till the new game comes out.

If anyone can tell me why far post shots often get hit at the keeper/centrally I would appeciate it though....

Hmm.. I'm not sure - i haven't played the xbox version.

How much of the bar are you filling?
I think a light tap will suffice if you are in the box. However it really depends on how well the player was dribbled the ball in front of them. Often, I shoot when the ball is in an awkward position for the player to shoot, which casues the ball to go wonko.
However I'm guessing that is minimised depnding on the players technique stat, shot techinique.
I think you just need to practise more until you get the hang of it.

Hmm.. when you are going for the far post, are you running straight at the keeper? or an angle?
For instance, i think if you are running straight at the keeper and simply tap shoot without direction, the ball will generally go straight to the keepers glove. Tap it hard enough but not too hard, and the ball may travel higher and force the keeper to make a save.

Differnt angles will mean that you may need to change the direction of the d-pad or analog to point at.

When you have the ball, try tapping R1 (or you can press it frantically, whichever) so that the ball travels further away from you, and tap shoot (this gives the player time and space to shoot, and more likelihood that he will shoot with preferred foot). For the directions, I personally use the Analog stick, and i either aim diagnonal up or down - HOwever i only move the stock ever so slightly...and not all the way. I find that when i get too excited I pull the stick to the extreme, which usually causes theball to fly wide.
I'm not sure if that's correct, but I have always kept it in mind whenever I shoot.
Keep mucking around with the shooting training, i guarantee you'll get it with practice.

I don't see how any of the problems I see are to do with the angle of the player...

I have been playing with the d-pad not the analogue on the PS2 against the cpu.

Guess I will just have to stick with it....nice one for the posts.

Oh another tip, if you are one on one with the GK, i will usually tend to try to do a Shot-Fake. (tap shoot, and then pass to cancel)... causes the player to dummy the GK

It usually fools the GK leaving an open goal for you... It's pretty satisfying.

U can also determine which way you dummy with the direction pad/analog stick.

You very rarely have the time to do the fake shot against the cpu, the cpu is usually on top of you with two players who are grinding against your backside...

With the cpu it seems as though you have to get your shot away much sooner and therefore do not have time for this move.

If you slow down and go for this the cpu then has two players pushing you sideways and sucking the ball like a hoover from between your legs or just basically fouling the crap out of you.

The dummy shot seems far more usable against a human opponent, particularly if you have time and space.

The other thing is the cpu defends so deep that you are almost always playing either in front of them, with every man and his dog behind the ball or you are in space but wide, so you can't do the move.

When in a one on one with the keeper against the cpu (rare) the cpu players seem to run with alarming speed and the likes of henry are usually caught by a chasing pack of Phil Nevilles....

The speed of players on the ball past the back line of defence against the cpu seems totally different from that of the human player...cpu players seem to be able to run and get back much faster...

In fact it looks like something out of a Harold Lloyd film. I have seen David Weir catch Obi Martins in the blink of an eye. Seems to me that to make the game more challenging year on year, instead of making the defensive A.I better, they have gone for easy/cheap work arounds and one of those work arounds is in making the CPU defenders faster.

If the speed of players were correct and the likes of Henry and Martins actually started accelerating away from slower defenders once past them, there would be more one on one situations and more goals- which would reduce the challenge of the game- which Konami haven't wanted. Obviously this would not be a problem if you simply had superior AI that meant that one-on-ones was less likely- but then that would nvolve much harder time consuming programing of the AI.

Its like the way that you rarely have your forward on the shoulder of the last man. Have you seen how often the cpu has a defender ten yards deeper than the rest of the team- yet none of your players play on the last mans shoulder?

Your players and particularly forwards are very often far too deep...

This again has been a cheap work around in place since pro evo 3 at least.

If you play pro evo 1 you can see that your forwards play on the shoulder of the last man...as a result you get far more one on ones- breaking past the defence.

In real footy if a defence drops deeper, nine times out of ten a decent out and out forward goes with the last defender and hangs on his shoulder...he doesn't allow him to drop deep and not get on his shoulder.

Konami didn't want to keep it so that it was more realistic with a striker on the shoulder of the last man, because the limited AI meant too many one on ones and too many goals and again instead of fixing the AI they fixed it so the forwards played deep- an easy programing work around.

The evo games are by far the best footy games around- nothing touches them. But you can see some of the dodgy AI work arounds a mile off.

Another cheap work around is the fouling. People complained in PES5 that the game was too stop start, so Konami altered what is deemed a foul. Now you get less fouls given- but not less fouls. All the fouls still happen as before, it is just that they are not given. So playing against the cpu you are very often ripped off and there isn't much you can do about it. The alternative was to alter the actual AI and behavior of the cpu players....that again would have been a much harder routine to program...so they went with the cheap work around.

Its still a good game though, but I hope that the AI is radically improved for the leap to PS3. I have heard talk of the AI being re-written. I think it needs to be at this stage.

PES6 is far better against a friend than the cpu for my money...more so than all prior versions.

Last edited:
I got rid of PES6 as I couldn't score for toffee unless they walked it in.

My build up play was fine but would have 20 odd shots and not score, I haven't got the time to dedicate to learning the precise process so I went and bought FIFA07 and altough it's inferior at least I can score!

I got rid of PES6 as I couldn't score for toffee unless they walked it in.

My build up play was fine but would have 20 odd shots and not score, I haven't got the time to dedicate to learning the precise process so I went and bought FIFA07 and altough it's inferior at least I can score!

I can understand why you felt that way and why you moved over to FIFA- each to his own.

personally I have always despised the FIFA series and it would take a radical alteration of the game and the mind-set behind those at EA for me to consider going over to the dark side.

I am scoring goals on PES6, plenty of them. The problem is they are mainly tap-ins, headers and the like. Scoring lots running parallel to the box and finding the corners.

I score very few satisfying goals at the moment and think the AI needs an overhaul.

Passing and dribbling is much improved though.

Sticking with it till the new one comes out.

what i like about the whole new system is that its harder to score if you compare some of the goals from EPL is that you have to pull the defence out of position. force them to make spaces in the back. and thats what PES 6 does like they said the best footie out there its really close, you have to think when your players have the ball at your players feet, how you can break them down

what i like about the whole new system is that its harder to score if you compare some of the goals from EPL is that you have to pull the defence out of position. force them to make spaces in the back. and thats what PES 6 does like they said the best footie out there its really close, you have to think when your players have the ball at your players feet, how you can break them down

Yea but nothing you are saying differs from PES5, the same was exactly true with that game. Also the game looks nothing like the premiership in that most teams in the premiership do not defend anywhere near as deep, also forwards often play on the shoulder of the last man....they don't do that anywhere near enough in PES5 and PES6.

I'll be honest I am starting to enjoy PES6 a lot more and in fact I now prefer it to PES5.

Once you get used to PES6 I think it is easier to score than in PEs5- quite a lot easier in fact.

But if you can't see the obvious problems with the AI that do exist despite it being a very good game....then I think you have either lost the plot or you don't understand AI very well.

opening them up isn't the problem, I'm not trying to be clever but I honestly have no problem breaking them down on the hardest skill.

I just can't put the ball in the net and it's a bit silly. Unless as mentioned earlier it's a tap in (or re-bound), I shoot from all over the place and put in crosses mixing my play up. But attackers never seem to want to get on the end of my crosses. Mind it would help if they didn't run back towards the half way line just as I cross!

There are too many scripted moments in this game to make it entertaining. Which is a real shame as FIFA is undoubtedly inferior.

Would you rather chase the stunner who you've no chance with or go for the pretty girl who you know you have a chance of scoring with!

I know which is more fun!

Oddly enough I have found that if you hold the directional button in a diagonal position to shoot as opposed to holding up or down in PES5 and if you make sure that you release the shoot button first and keep hold of the diagonal directional button......

That you score a lot of decent goals in the corners..

No one has mentioned anything precise like this and it is absolutely different from prior PES games.

lol all you people giving up pro evo because you "can't score" what is wrong with you? should you be playing football games at all if you cant manage the quite simple task of scoring a few goals? honest to god stop moaning and start playing, sounds like you need the practice anyway.

lol all you people giving up pro evo because you "can't score" what is wrong with you? should you be playing football games at all if you cant manage the quite simple task of scoring a few goals? honest to god stop moaning and start playing, sounds like you need the practice anyway.

I have a life and can't put the practice in. It's that simple. I've played ISS since the PSone so don't think I'm a noob.

Show me one example of where I said I that I had trouble scoring goals.

There isn't one!

Try reading what is written before commenting.

As for commenting on whether someone should be playing football games.

I used to design football games for major software companies and have designed two 9/10 (Official Playstation mag) games and before that I was a professional games player and games tester for Sony.

Don't try and act the billy big shoes when your talking to someone who you don't know.

lol sorry i offended you vanzandt i wasnt actually talking to you but thank you for your cv, oh and i was not acting "the billy big shoes" on you, i didnt once claim i was gods gift at pro evo, to be honest i dont care enough to tell anyone how good i am. anyone with any kind of footballing knowledge can put the ball in the net on pro evo. i dont see why there hasto be a big discussion on it.
Jimjoe, thank you, i too have a life. i have a job and eeeeeeeverything. i wouldnt waste time practicing on pro evo either. but your sitting there moaning you cant score nice goals even though u are breaking through the hardest lvl defences. its not hard man, just press square.

sorry i offended.

lol sorry i offended you vanzandt i wasnt actually talking to you but thank you for your cv, oh and i was not acting "the billy big shoes" on you, i didnt once claim i was gods gift at pro evo, to be honest i dont care enough to tell anyone how good i am. anyone with any kind of footballing knowledge can put the ball in the net on pro evo. i dont see why there hasto be a big discussion on it.
Jimjoe, thank you, i too have a life. i have a job and eeeeeeeverything. i wouldnt waste time practicing on pro evo either. but your sitting there moaning you cant score nice goals even though u are breaking through the hardest lvl defences. its not hard man, just press square.

sorry i offended.

It's forgotton, fair play to ya mate. In fact I over reacted so I apologise.

In all honesty I don't think it is just a case of pressing the shoot button though.

The games shooting system is quite different from that in PES5 and that isn't really detailed anywhere. Basically it means that if you shoot like you do in PES5, then you are going to hit the ball at the keepers instead of to the left or right of them...a lot of the time.

People have scored lots of goals but what some people have been reporting is that the type of goals score has not been satisfying, I was one of those people.

Once you play the game differently the rewards are there and you are rewarded by getting a decent variety of goals; the shooting is different is simply different.

I think in a sequel of this nature, in a game that has been very slowly changing; that a lot of irritation and problems that people have encountered could have been avoided by a simple explanation of this in the game manuel.

yea i agree that everytime a new pro evo comes out it does take time to adjust. shots you were used to putting away do go miles over and etc etc etc. but it doesnt mean the games bad and if people give up straight away then your just wasting your money. it does just take time to adjust and as soon as u get your touch back its all good again.

That's cool, I'm not ashamed to admit I can't play this version. It just seems that half the time you're fighting against the computer rather than the team. You must've seen the 'scripted' goals surely?

The com team just go into super human mode and there is not a thing you can do about it.

That (to me) doesn't seem right.

there are moments when the comp does attack and you almost feel its fate that they will score as you cant seem to stop them yes, but thats a rare thing on my game. i know what u mean though, i played a match the other day on master league against spurs where i thought id cut out the ball to keane but kaka decided just to leave the ball be and keane just tapped it in. i then brought on the big boys and scored 2 goals to go infront and they immiedately scored from kick off with one through ball while my defence had a picnic but oh well thats just the way it goes. i dont see it as the computer cheating me. if i won every game id get bored.

there are moments when the comp does attack and you almost feel its fate that they will score as you cant seem to stop them yes, but thats a rare thing on my game. i know what u mean though, i played a match the other day on master league against spurs where i thought id cut out the ball to keane but kaka decided just to leave the ball be and keane just tapped it in. i then brought on the big boys and scored 2 goals to go infront and they immiedately scored from kick off with one through ball while my defence had a picnic but oh well thats just the way it goes. i dont see it as the computer cheating me. if i won every game id get bored.

just1moreperson: Better to click the Edit button and delete the post rather than triple posting ;)

I agree with JimJoeC and vanzandt but some people still don't comprehend what we're saying and just1moreperson is missing the point and trying to help with an oversimplification like "practice" rather than addressing the issue with regards to why shots don't do what they should do - or how they sometimes work and sometimes don't with no real reason other than AI randomness.

And it's probably best not to discuss the AI cheating as some people do get upset by that idea.... ;)
(even though it does happen!)

Back
Top Bottom