Romagnoli's PES 2012 Playtest Impressions

Maybe I forgot to put a smiley in mi initial post! I used "introductory" as a jape, due to the long posts. It was meant to be appraisal! I know it's impossible to write down everything, you could spend whole nights writing and you would still have the "I forgot about that!" feeling.

I'm really interested in where the bad things will start to pour, as I usually share a lot of your views in both Fifa and PES threads.

I was hoping you were! I thought you might be joking but honestly you lose all sense of perspective when you're writing so much but still have a lot to cover.

Danny - we only played a bit of assisted and it was Barca Real Madrid. We were on 0 and 2 bars when we were using any otter team, so I can't honestly say how assisted represents passing error.

Again it's something that would benefit from being reined back in future PES's, but at least the AI is far sharper on interceptions and tracking runs than it was in 2011 where each pass seemed to force defenders to freeze or act disorientated, allowing crap teams to spam 10 yard passes to get up the pitch.

Great write up rom. I'm very happy to know how intercepetions are more often than never as the AI is so good and alive, it's always anticipating, as rod already said on his playtest. Defending like i already do in pes 2011 will be a lot more fun and rewardable.

Dribbling seems to be fantastic, Ai teammates must be brilliant as well, and thank God the new collision physics are much improved and refs are much better now. It will be amazing to play like Barcelona, and who knows playing against pressure noobs may be actually fun this time.

Pes 2012 sounds so fun to play. Maybe it will be the game that finally loosing or winning does not matter (no frustrations), but the whole experience does (so much enjoyable to play).

I can't wait for the demo.

Last edited:
I have a question for you Rom (or anybody else who thinks he has the answer):
a)In Pes 2011 when you receive the ball and you want to control the ball towards the opposite direction of the pass (for instance you receive pass from the left and you press "right" on your direction), more often than not the player would let the ball roll through his legs and would only touch after he has turned his body 180°.IIRC, that "let the ball roll through your legs" thing used to be assigned with pressing a button (i think the acceleration button) + the opposite direction.
In Pes2011 it can become annoying when your player doesn't control the ball and just lets it run.How is this in PES2012 ?
Thanks

It didn't seem to happen when you didn't want it to - I actually found my player taking a touch sometimes when I didn't want him to, so I don't know if that was a potential issue or if I was doing something wrong! I agree that it would happen in 2011 more oftenthan you'd intended, though it is something I tend to use quite a lot so I did try it (and the R1 dummy) pretty extensively.

I just hope from now until release they work on 'keepers and animations. This could become a top game.

It didn't seem to happen when you didn't want it to - I actually found my player taking a touch sometimes when I didn't want him to, so I don't know if that was a potential issue or if I was doing something wrong! I agree that it would happen in 2011 more oftenthan you'd intended, though it is something I tend to use quite a lot so I did try it (and the R1 dummy) pretty extensively.

Good to hear this.I never truly understood why they made it automatic without pressing the R1/RB button in PES 2011.

A very big thank you for your impressions romagnoli. Really appreciate it and looking forward to the next part.

I'll try and get it done soon, in a couple of hours or so. Shooting's mostly done, just got keepers and graphics to go before my final thoughts. So this is a 75% preview build ;)

Excellent write-up. I still think I should be allowed to these days; being a future journalist and all. :D

hey rom a quick question, are the Agility and Shot Technique stats still in the game? because from what i've seen on those leaked sets of lamaprd and wilshere they were missing.

also where those sets fully completed or they where missing some stats?

could you post a few complete sets of some playees so that the editing community could get a better insight in it

and the last question, if your not permited to post full stats could you atleast put an empty set without numbers and also could you name the full list of player cards?

thx in advace and great review.

Hi,

you'll have to ask Adam this sort of stuff as he actually has the code. I know that some attributes were renamed - for example, there was one called 'Explosiveness', which I took to be Acceleration.

Thank you for a great write-up.

I would be interested in hearing a little about how the CPU AI play. In 2011 they're often very clumsy with the ball, running in to opposition like they're not aware of their surroundings in tight spaces. Did the AI handle tight spaces better in 2012? I really enjoy WE9, much because the AI is very good in these situations, with quick turns to get out of the situation. I'm hoping it is more like this in 2012 too.

I only play offline, usually 1 or 2 vs CPU so this part is interesting to me. There's a lot of talk about off the ball movement, which is great, but not as much about how the ball carrier acts on the pitch. If you have any examples of good play by the AI I would love to hear about it.

Hey, great write up. Thank you for taking the time. (And no, you weren't faffing about. The extra bits made it more enjoyable).

One question I did have was, Did you get to play any games against the CPU? How is the attacking AI of the CPU. I mostly play ML and other offline modes, so it is a large part of the game for me.

In PES 2011, I've seen them build attacks very well, but only at certain random times. I've not had CPU teams 'go for my throat', trying to beat me 4-0, 5-0. Especially after going up a goal or two, the CPU seems to make a lot of mistakes finishing. Is that something that has changed? It's a bit odd when I am 2-0 down and the CPu goes one-on-one and misses easy chances.

Rom, great write-up. I really enjoyed reading it. I have a few questions though, how much time did you spend trying to "exploit" the dual analog player control? Was it that hard to take two men up to the opposing defensive line and try to create easy one twos? I can imagine someone having 4 players up front with down middle as the attacking style and someone like DUDUBR9's brother trying to game the defensive AI nonstop.

Rom, great write-up. I really enjoyed reading it. I have a few questions though, how much time did you spend trying to "exploit" the dual analog player control? Was it that hard to take two men up to the opposing defensive line and try to create easy one twos? I can imagine someone having 4 players up front with down middle as the attacking style and someone like DUDUBR9's brother trying to game the defensive AI nonstop.

Do you mean trying to use the dual analog controls to move the two players in a 1-2?

No chance. Honestly, it's not easy to use at all. The second player you control doesn't sprint while selected, so is easily picked up until you click the right stick while pointing in a direction. It's not easy to use, and to be honest even if you managed to get to the point where you could move teammates at will (which just isn't going to happen), it's very unlikely you'll be able to coordinate something sophisticated enough to beat someone who is able to spend his time controlling one defender and read what you're doing.

It just isn't a concern for me. I can't see how anyone could exploit the manual teammate controls, and I could definitely see how it could lead to thrashings for the guy trying it.

Reassuring about the run trigger, just about the AI, it seems very attacking minded from what has been described, do midfielders for example drop back to find space for you to pass to them, did you try less attack minded defenders and see a change in their overlapping?

In 2011 to have players to be more overlapping I had to edit my tactics to get it to satisfaction but it seemed to make the whole team easy to counter.

Cracking write up so far, would be interested to hear what you thought about the Wii version if you had played it.

All done now, I think. Jeez. Started way too big at the start and painted myself into a corner.

All done now, I think. Jeez. Started way too big at the start and painted myself into a corner.

Re-read the full thing + last part just now, that was immense :D Weird that you don't seem to have any of the problems Adam mentions with shooting, you didn't reported them as a problem in the concerns part. It isn't one at all for you?

By the way, the Ji Sung Park video isn't available anymore.

Re-read the full thing + last part just now, that was immense :D Weird that you don't seem to have any of the problems Adam mentions with shooting, you didn't reported them as a problem in the concerns part. It isn't one at all for you?

By the way, the Ji Sung Park video isn't available anymore.

I thought I did? What else did he say about it? If I agree I'll stick it in there and pretend I thought of it ;)

I thought I did? What else did he say about it? If I agree I'll stick it in there and pretend I thought of it ;)

Well you didn't, unless I'm missing it completely :P There was a general consensus at the last podcast that in some ocasions, the shot, its animation, and the outcome result of it didn't match, plus occasions where the ball didn't have enough zip in it.

EDIT: Huh, I actually did miss it, you did talk about some concerns about shooting, but still didn't seem as it was a big issue to you as it was to the rest. That's why it's nice to have different person's opinions on the same subject. :)

Last edited:
Well you didn't, unless I'm missing it completely :P There was a general consensus at the last podcast that in some ocasions, the shot, its animation, and the outcome result of it didn't match, plus occasions where the ball didn't have enough zip in it.

"That said, there were some issues with the general pace of shots, still. It was clearly much improved from what was described in previous builds – I scored an absolute rocket on the half volley with Lucho from the edge of the box – but there were still a fair number of attempts on goal that seemed a bit too timid. You do need soft shots on goal occasionally, of course, if you want to represent different player abilities. But the problem was more that the times when players hit soft shots, as opposed to powerful but high and/or wide shots, didn’t always make sense."

Don't blame you for missing it. I should've included an index.

Fantastic essay, I mean preview Rom!

For the first time in years I am genuinely excited about the release of a PES game.

Let's hope they sort some of the animations, the keepers and the shooting before release.

Thanks again!

It seems like they have managed to pretty much fixed all the annoyances of PES 2011, would you agree with that? Well keepers seems to still be a bit buggy, but everything else in 2011 that made you shake your fist like Basil Fawlty seems to been looked over.

Thanks for the strong finish Rom. :-) It was a pleasure to read and now i do believe finally i will be satisfied with the new game. Can't wait.

Fantastic report Rom, i can see myself re-reading it again in a few days. Very enjoyable indeed.

The second part of your review is also terrific Rom.Thank you for all the details and for trying to give us as much (positive and negative) information regarding the game.
I have a question regarding shots.Check the goal Messi scored in the 01:00 min of the clip.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTBFS7OjTGo[/youtube]
Instead of aiming for the far post like it's "usually" done in those situations, he scored from the near post (where I think the keeper expected it the least).
Do you think it's possible to shoot like that (and then eventually score) whether it's with the plain shot button or with the finesse shot ? In Pes 2011 it's impossible to take a shot like without it becoming floaty or going wide.
Thanks in advance

@Rom & Rod

# Question about lofted/lob through ball or short lob

In PES 2011, when you are dribbling in the sideline a little behind your CF in the middle wanting to send the lofted through ball to him, usually the ball does not go as intended in terms of power and direction. It is quite inconsistent. How is it going in PES 2012 ? do you feel more confident in executing it ?

# Battling in chasing lofted through ball/lob ball

In PES 2011, i feel the attacker does not have the same chance as the defender when both is running next to each other. I hardly find my attacker be able to use his foot, body, head or make a little jump to try to win the ball. How is the battle in this situation in PES 2012 ?

Thank you

Superb post Rom, I'm now more excited than ever!

I trust your/Rods views a lot, and we seem to share a lot of views when it comes to both games...

I'm just dying to play it now.

Can't see that clip on my phone, will have to try and watch it later.

Thespeedster:
Do you mean crossing the ball with the lobbed throughball? It sounds like you're describing a winger hitting a lobbed throughball to the striker in the middle. If that's what you mean I didn't have a problem with it in 2011 tbh. But I have a feeling you mean something else.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 2nd point either. If it's not something you're expressly looking for as you play then it's hard to really make a judgement almost a week later. Generally speaking the balance between defender and attacker is much more even now, and you don't get so many problems with attackers becoming passengers when running alongside defenders. But at the same time you do kind of want a striker who is closely marked by a defender to struggle to emerge with the ball. It's just about how that's achieved.

On an unrelated note, I meant to mention that one goal I scored with Lille involved a pass infield to Hazard, on the left corner of the box. Hazard was standing still, facing the ball which was rolling parallel to the goal line. As a defender came across from infield, expecting me to cut inside, I actually used R1 to take a big first touch towards the goal line and chased after it. I then crossed it in, the ball was half cleared and Moussaka Sow scored one of those overhead kicks I mentioned.

That sudden burst of pace by Hazard was exactly what I wanted. Just a sudden rush from standing to running to catch the defender on the hop and smash a driven cross in. You could do this in other PES's but it feels better now because of the agility and general sense of increased freedom to the game.

Back
Top Bottom