Return to Monkey Island - PC/Switch - Released 19/09

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
I am probably the only person excited to have a new Monkey Island game from the original writer Ron Gilbert.

One of my favourite games of the 90's and to me certainly the best adventure game of all time.

Game is set to be released at some point in 2022, which suggests Winter 2022.

Oh I was going to make a thread on this too but forgot 😄 I have actually only played Curse and Tales, but started the special edition of Secret of Monkey Island the very day the news came out. Needless to say I am quite stuck almost instantly. I have had the special editions for years, so this is really the incentive I needed to get going. Curse is one of my all time favorite games. To this day I often turn it on and just leave it on Porto Pollo for background ambience.

I do miss music in the Special edition of Secret. As in, it's only sporadic and not in every scene.

Although no details have been released, I will be very surprised if it ends up being a point and click adventure.
I would love to be point and click, but with this potentially being released on consoles too, point and click would be an absolutely ball ache.

Every time I think I am making a tiniest breakthrough in SoMI the game is like "Naw, mate. Another wall." I was even desperate enough to hit the hint button and it was no help what so ever 😄

I would have loved it as i was a fan of Broken Sword series and Discworld on PS1, Discworld got subtitle and Broken Sword was doubled in french.
I loved every adventure point'n'click games.

The first i played was Maniac Mansion on NES, but i don't know, it was pretty cool but i was quickly bored by that game at the time (i think i ain't a fan at all to control multiple characters... That's why)

But i didn't grown up with a PC and PC games so. Don't know if starting Monkey Island 1 on 2022 if there's a remake (probably) would be good to play, but it seems the game gets a bit older in comparison to the one i mentionned.

Still, my favourite of all time was Syberia : i learned very late there was a sequel.

Monkey Island had a remastered edition about 7/8 years ago.
It was a very good remaster, although I kept switching back to the old version.

I played it on the Amiga originally.

I remember buying Monkey Island 2 for my PC (a 286, hah) but they didn't have the 3.5" disc version so I had to get it on the big-ass 5.25" floppies....happy days :D

EDIT: just been googling the intro and found the exact one I remembered with ad-lib soundcard...got to be up there as one of the best intro tunes 😍

Last edited:
I finally got a breakthrough last night and absolutely ploughed through a part of the
game, but now I am stuck again. Still, I am at least into it for real now.

Reactions: Tom
Played a lot more tonight - Just need to figure out how to get some grog somewhere, fast. Seems impossible right now, I'll have to rack my brain!
It was a great session though, and I am very tired but I couldn't stop myself playing as I was on a good run. 25% done.

Last edited:
Played a lot more tonight - Just need to figure out how to get some grog somewhere, fast. Seems impossible right now, I'll have to rack my brain!
It was a great session though, and I am very tired but I couldn't stop myself playing as I was on a good run. 25% done.

What game are you stuck on?

What game are you stuck on?
The first one. I don't want any hints though, I want to figure it out.

Hoping to have Secret 1 and 2 in the bag when Return comes out.
Also, I am ashamed to admit, but I never fully finished Tales, even though I quite like that one. Was close though I think. Curse I was replaying not that long ago and will just pick up from where I left off if I want to replay that one as well. I do have Escape on disk for PS2 somewhere but I can't be arsed with it. the little I played of it was dire.

Im actually trying to youtube my way thru broken sword as I have the last one for the playstation. I like getting as much as the story though, problem is the playthrough is hours long, cant seem to get a proper summary of the story.

I'd maybe do similar to this, but have to say I cant mind many there was, I defo never completed them all.

As said point and clicks were brilliant back in the day. My fav was Blade Runner.

FD

I absolutely murdered act 2 and now I am in act three - a lot of new places but the map is way to big! Just walking around is going to take forever. 58% complete.

I absolutely murdered act 2 and now I am in act three - a lot of new places but the map is way to big! Just walking around is going to take forever. 58% complete.
That's awesome mate! Glad you're enjoying Monkey 1, and pretty sure you will enjoy Monkey 2. I grew up on these games and they are absolute masterpieces.

Confirmed for Switch in new trailer

It seems that there will be a one year console exclusivity for the Nintendo Switch.
Meaning it will come out on other systems just not till end of 2023 or even 2024.

The gameplay trailer looks OK, but was really hoping that the game would return to being a point and click adventure of old.
However it seems that they are going to be going down the route of being able to play the game on a controller using just one or two buttons, a bit like Escape from Monkey Island.

I can understand it, newer players won't want to have a point and click adventure of old, but then I am not sure who exactly will be buying the game except those who played the originals.

Tales had kind of a mixed system where you could use the keyboard to walk but mouse to click stuff. Also had a weird mouse control for the character so it was possible to do everything on a mouse. I haven't seen anything in this trailer that makes it look decidedly not point and click though?

This series has always had callbacks but this trailer is absolutely riddled with them. This is the same place, and the chef is seen in a different part of the trailer.
Screenshot 2022-06-29 131317.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-29 131340.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever happened to if you got nothing nice to say don't say it.

This is kind of the problem with the internet these days, that people can hide behind accounts and just say as much shit as they like without consequences.

Unfortunately the world is just mainly full of cunts.

Return to Monkey Island director Ron Gilbert will no longer talk about the game online due to the amount of abuse he has received, particularly about its new art style.

As reported by Video Games Chronicle, Gilbert said on his personal blog (the entirety of which has now been shut down) that "the joy of sharing has been driven from me", and it isn't the first time the developer has been forced to defend the game following fan backlash.

"I’m shutting down comments. People are just being mean and I’m having to delete personal attack comments," Gilbert said. "It’s an amazing game and everyone on the team is very proud of it. Play it or don’t play it but don’t ruin it for everyone else. I won’t be posting anymore about the game. The joy of sharing has been driven from me."

Bang up job, everybody.

(I've seen a lot of passionate but polite/polite-adjacent discussion going on, but the comments on Ron's blog were a total shitshow.) pic.twitter.com/BUBoPdU1fS
— Dominic Armato (@SkilletDoux) June 30, 2022
Gilbert and developer Terrible Toybox have received criticism over the game's art style, which fans have criticised for not matching the original games that were released more than 30 years ago.

Gilbert said previously that "Return to Monkey Island may not be the art style you wanted or were expecting but it's the art style I wanted." He said the point of the games was never to have pixel art but instead to use state-of-the-art tech and art to push the franchise forward, claiming that, even if he'd stuck around to make Monkey Island 3, it wouldn't have looked like the previous games.

Don't forget to pre order Return to Monkey Island tonight to get the special horse armour, which serves no purpose other than to clutter the in game inventory 😄

Actually I don't know exactly when the game is out but the release date is tomorrow.

I still haven't even finished the first one but I will still be jumping straight into this one.

Monkey Island had a remastered edition about 7/8 years ago.
It was a very good remaster, although I kept switching back to the old version.

I played it on the Amiga originally.
Sorry didn't saw the answer.
Will put it on my list to play, it's almost the 50th game i said it.

From what i see there's a lot of english humor on it. Probably a bit more serious than Discworld.

Completed Part 1 of the game and will continue to finish it this week.

The art style is very weird when you start playing it, but quickly grows on you to become much better than the originals and 200% better than the remasters.
Clearly designed though with the consoles in mind and no doubt will be released on the others in the near future, as everything on PC is done with just a couple of clicks which can be easily moved across.

At £20 the game is a bargain and like Stray - There is absolutely no reason to not give it a go at the price.

Finished the game this morning.

I enjoyed it, the art style which so many were complaining about isn't an issue and the puzzles are straight forward if you are used to the old point and click games of old.
Seems to be a bit more going backwards and forwards than what I remember.

Certainly, passed the time and was never bored of it.

Used the hint book twice, but worst part was spending over half an hour looking for an ingredient which you didn't actually need.

Overall, would say the game is better than the recent Monkey Island games and probably slightly better than Curse of Monkey Island.
However, after playing them all again in the last 5-10 years - Monkey Island 2 is still the best one.

Back
Top Bottom