Retro Gaming (football and others)

Re: Retro Games (football and others)

I was googling 'Super Bump' :LOL: I was looking for a while....:PP

Cheers!

Why did the games come in the biggest boxes lol :)

!B8linLgBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!iYEzNc0lssSBM3d!Ln83!~~_12.JPG

!C!O6EfwBmk~$(KGrHqF,!hcEzeWOobdsBNCJncE5mg~~_12.JPG

Why did the games come in the biggest boxes lol :)

!B8linLgBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!iYEzNc0lssSBM3d!Ln83!~~_12.JPG

!C!O6EfwBmk~$(KGrHqF,!hcEzeWOobdsBNCJncE5mg~~_12.JPG

Ahhh... that brings back memories!

The huge boxes did used to be a problem storage wise, crazy looking back why they were so big. Perhaps they were trying to market them against VHS videos?

That Grand Prix manual was like 600 pages big and had absolutely everything from the history of GP racing, how the cars were built, how to drive them, how to attack corners plus all the game controls etc etc.

Was awesome. I remember I sat up all night reading it cover to cover when I got that game. That was a bundled one with my Amiga one xmas. Thats when bundled games were worth something!

Also, the SWOS box brings back another memory (though that is the PC one not the Amiga one. But that X-Mas, I kinda knew I was getting an Amiga (parents always denied it!), so to prove a point, when we were out shopping near X-Mas, I bought myself SWOS. Was about 3 weeks before X-Mas, but at least I had it and I just kept reading the manual up until X-Mas :)

Most bizarre!

Interesting the rrp of £20 on the amiga too. Considering this was probably 20 years ago or more, shows inflation hasn't really had much of sn impact on gaming, considering the advances in technology (ie foty2 was probably made by no more than 5 people, where some like FIFA has a team of 100s)

Psychonauts is $2.49 for 24 hours at Good Old Games, surely one of the best PC games ever made? Crazy not to buy it for that price!

Skool Daze was brilliant.

Also another couple of favs for me on the Speccy were Wild Bunch and Mugsy.

FD

I'm young but i remember this games:
-Streets of Rage
-Golden axe
-Sonic the hedgehog

No bike game has been as good as Super Hang On for pure arcade racing, Road Rash was better as you had the weapons :)

Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

I had one of these

atarilynx.jpg

with California games

Good old Footbag :LOL:

YouTube - Atari Lynx California Games - "Footbag" [ Epyx ] 1991

Older ones i had

Lynx
Gameboy
Gamegear
Master System with a gun and some glasses
Megadrive
3DO

and one that used tapes that hardly worked and when they did it took an age to load and made some dodgy sound when loading :LOL:

That was a long time ago...

The last thing I'd want to play is a retro game.

For sheer nostalgia value they are fantastic but usually after a couple of minutes play you think "why am I playing this shit?"

Nothing brings back childhood memories like playing a few minutes of "Bandits at Zero" or "Prospector Pete" on a Commodore 16 emulator but once the initial nostalgic glow has faded from your cheeks you realise just how far gaming has come in a relatively short period of time.

The amount of shoddy, half baked games we have to put up with these days is pretty ridiculous though. At least games back then were mostly only £1.99 or £2.99, not 40 fucking notes for a piss poor, unfinished product that only lasts a few hours at best.

For nostalgia value just remembering a game and the hours I enjoyed is the best way, as soon as I try to play a retro game I just think "how did I spend so many hours playing this shit?" ;)

Thing is, I can remember some console games for the SNES and Megadrive being £60 back in the mid-nineties. Most were the same price as games now. Gaming is much cheaper these days whatever way you look at it.

Luckily I was an Amiga owner so most of the games I bought were in the £10-20 bracket. My first console was the PS1. I was never interested in them before that. Having said that I used to spend many hours on my mate's SNES playing ISS Deluxe. That's where the PES thing started for me.

Last edited:

For nostalgia value just remembering a game and the hours I enjoyed is the best way, as soon as I try to play a retro game I just think "how did I spend so many hours playing this shit?" ;)

Depends how retro you wanna get.

Still having a PS1 for MGS1, GT1/2, ISS Pro/98/Evo/Evo 2, FIFA '99, Cool Boarders 3 and so on is great, and in many cases (especially the ones I've mentioned) the gameplay is much better than the current gen games.

I've been tempted to pick up a Mega Drive or SNES but I never had one as a kid either so it's probably a step too far.

Finding the exact model of Amiga I had though would be beautiful, oh and the black and yellow joystick I had.

Thing is, I can remember some console games for the SNES and Megadrive being £60 back in the mid-nineties. Most were the same price as games now. Gaming is much cheaper these days whatever way you look at it.

Luckily I was an Amiga owner so most of the games I bought were in the £10-20 bracket. My first console was the PS1. I was never interested in them before that. Having said that I used to spend many hours on my mate's SNES playing ISS Deluxe. That's where the PES thing started for me.

When they went from cartridge to CD the prices were supposed to drop. Remember that talk? I popped Mario 64 in the other day. Still a good game but very outdated. That still might be the best platformer ever made.

Not all retro games have aged badly - fair enough some (most) just make you go "bloody hell this is shite, how did I enjoy this?" but there are a few that are well polished and challenging.

A couple of years ago I found my GameBoy Color when tidying my room, so thought I'd whack some new batteries in and have a go on my old Pokemon Blue - once again it had me engrossed and I played it through to the end.

I also played Wario Land 2 and had that was pretty fun - generally platformers or RPGs age quite well, because there really isn't anything that fancy 3D graphics can add to either genre except eye candy.

I've also used emulators to play Streets of Rage (awesome game), Sonic 2, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong etc. and all of those stand up well today because they actually offer a challenge, as opposed to most modern games which hold your hand through the game with tips, tutorials and obvious hints.

One of my flatmates brought his SNES with him and we all had a Super Mario Kart session, great fun! :D It's so much better than the Wii version with it's rubberbanding and forgiving steering, you really have to concentrate on it!

I still maintain that gaming these days is pretty crap, because as mentioned previously, the games all seem to hold your hand through relatively simple single-player campaigns and offer very little challenge - preferring to divert your attention to the multiplayer modes, and don't get me started on the state of online gaming.

P.S. - Tetris, still a classic :D.

Back
Top Bottom