Post your favourite football-related photographs

I agree with you in some points lo zio. I realize that them strategy was absolutely fantastic. They have merit of course. But you really think they deserved it? I don't think so. Maybe Czech Republic deserved it more than my country. And a "football expert" called MARADONA (who???) said they had a lot of luck.

Correction: Portugal won group stage at Euro 2004.

And I think you forget some Greek results. But I will tell you my friend:

CONFEDERATIONS CUP:
Brazil (I love you Brazil!) 3 - 0 GREECE
Japan 1 - 0 GREECE (The european champions lost against Japan! :shock:)
GREECE 0 - 0 Mexico

Summary: No goals for Greeks. 4 in their goal. Only 1 point. Last place in group stage.

WORLD CUP 2006 QUALIFY:
Albania 2 - 1 GREECE
GREECE 0 - 0 Turkey
Ukraine 1 - 1 GREECE
GREECE 3 - 1 Kazakhstan
GREECE 2 - 1 Denmark
Georgia 1 - 3 GREECE
GREECE 2 - 0 Albania
Turkey 0 - 0 GREECE
GREECE 0 - 1 Ukraine
Kazakhstan 1 - 2 GREECE
Denmark 1 - 0 GREECE
GREECE 1 - 0 Georgia

Summary: No World Cup for Greece. Ukraine and Turkey won it. Fourth place in group stage.

Last edited:
Well... nobody wins just on luck..there has to be a lot of work in there but Greece, in my opinion, wasn't the best team on the tournment.. The only thing they've done was to defend and take their chances on set pieces..(I mean..how many goals have they scored on corners?)
Anyway, they worked with the 'weapons' they had..and should be congratulated for that..

Their game highlights against Czech Republic (I wouldn't call it good defending...and the other games weren't very different from this. They were qualified on group stage with same points and goals difference also):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR2FT6ruc5g

Special one, #71, everyone sees football his way and the style of those 3 teams (greece, portugal and czech rep.) is really different, so i'd say it's pretty natural to have different thoughts about "who deserved it most". it all depends by our personal likes and our way to see football. :)

portugal and czech rep. were simply fantastic those days. and it wouldn't have been a shame if one of them would have won the tournament... at all.
i just wanted to point out that greece's victory too is not a shame or a scandal. they didn't arrive where they arrived just thanks to luck (and i congratulate with both of u for admitting it ;)).

afterall, what's new if portugal and czech rep were great at euro 2004? it's pretty normal. they're both great teams, and when a great team doesn't make mistakes or underperform... well it usually wins.
but greece is not like portugal or czech rep. they have many quality players, and now they have even more quality than 4 years ago... but they still don't match portugal's quality. nontheless they faced some of the best teams in europe keeping their chin up, they focused on teamwork to "compensate" the lack of individual quality (once again, i'm not saying they have no individual quality... basinas, zagorakis, seitaridis, gekas... they have a lot of quality... but teams like portugal or czech rep. still have something more, of course).

they were able to hide the ball to some of the greatest defensive midfielders, with their simple, plan, basic passing game; their brutal and unexpected changes of tempo messed up some of the most solid defences in europe; they never looked "hurried" or under pressure and they were able to stay focused for 90 minutes (wich is something i never saw before in my life :shock:), for every fucking game.
they were just perfect.

so yes, i think they truly deserved it. and by saying this, i'm also giving credit to czech rep and portugal, as they weren't beated just by a lucky team; they were beated by one of the most perfect, disciplined and "hungry" national football team of the last 20 years; and that's something czech and portuguese should be proud about ;):)

the special one said:
Correction: Portugal won group stage at Euro 2004.
yep, u're right mate, my bad ;)

talking about the world cup qualify, the special one, it's really hard to confirm yourself, after such a glorious victory. greeks are like italians.. they really like to celebrate... so i guess they weren't really focused during the world cup qualifications.
i mean italy is world champion... but still we were really close to miss euro 2008 (the victory in scotland saved our ass :mrgreen:). and also france was really close to miss the euro tournament (just a loss against ukraine and scotland would have take france's spot at euro 2008)..... and if i remember weel, portugal too reached the qualification just in the last 1 or 2 matches ....
italy, france, portugal. 3 of the 4 world cup semi finalists were almost missing the euro tournament (and germany didn't face serious troubles also thanks to a pretty easy group stage).
so i'd say that the world cup loss doesn't bring down greece's achievements. ;)

anyway guys, both of u showed fair play, by replying so kindly to my previous post :applause:. i thought someone would have flamed me after reading it. :lol:... but u proved me wrong ;):)

btw just to bring us back on topic......

bscap0032gg2.jpg

cannavaroml6.jpg

cannavaroalzalacoppaoe1.jpg

cannavaropercasost6.jpg

:-\" stand up for the champions, stand up for the champions... {|=

:D

Last edited:
lo zio, I agree with you on most things..and, obviously, the best team on the tournment may be different to every person who watched it..
I have no problems admiting that Greece has a lot of good players..Actually, Benfica had 3 of them on the last years (Fyssas, Karagounis and Katsouranis) and I can say that, at least the last two of them, are world class players.
What I'm saying is that there is a difference between how Italy (for example) and Greece won their titles...Italy is known for being very consistent on defense..sometimes it's not a pleasure to watch, but they certainly know what they're doing..nobody controls the game like italians do..You always get the feeling that you 'almost beat them', but it's just the italian way of doing things..they are very precise on passing, they know exactly how to do it..and of course, having creative players helps.
On the other way, Greece winning seemed a lot more random...I mean, most of the matches they won, the match could easily had gone the other way..
But obviously, I don't take any credit from their victory...what they achieved was amazing because they simply used the best thing they had and it worked. And all teams there try to do that..

You Portuguese sure are bitter.

You didn't deserve to win Euro 2004 because you were beaten in the final, simple. (and in the first group game...)

Yeah..that's not easy to lose your first international final at home against the underdogs..you'll have to be compreensive;)

But it's funny reading such thing from an english (?), considering that they always spend the 6 months after every competition giving excuses for their performances, threatning referees until they quit their job..and stuff like that;)

lo zio, your post was just amazing! You explain so well your point of view. I repeat, Greece strategy was simply fantastic, no doubt. I have never seen a defence so focused and effective like Greece, apart of Italy, of course.
#71, you said all.
It was a good and fair discussion. Different views, equal respect. :applause:

So lets back to topic, I don't want to boring you with this.
Ronaldo_01.jpg

That Hannover photo is simply brilliant...but I also think it looks like it has been photoshoped..

Back
Top Bottom