Poker Smash - Preview/Thoughts

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Just seen this game is due out next week on XBLA.

Had a look at the screenies and I think it looks a really interesting concept! (bit like Columns, but you have to get poker hands to clear the blocks as cards fall down).

Will certainly be getting the trial!

Apparantly places have been giving it some very good early impressions. It's worth trying the trial I reckon :)

Hmm, why not just play poker? :-k :|

Cos Poker can take hours (depending on how bad you are!) and as fun as it is, some people dont have the time to play it!

This looks like a fun game based around Poker - perfect for a 10 minute blast!

Just downloaded the trial.

Its actually pretty good! Nice GFX, and I quite liked the 'confusing' gameplay. Plenty of stat-tracking too and online leaderboards for all of it as well.

Reckon I'll give it a few more goes and probably take the 800pt plunge!

Ok, bigging up the 'Smash again!

Played it loads last night and I think its a great little game - brought the full version.

Loads of modes - the multiplayer is cool - 4 players (though maybe 6?) at once, you dont see the other peoples boards, but there is a leaderboard at the side which shows the players scores in order.

The MP is slightly different - scoring a bit like poker. You all start with the same amount of chips and then lose/gain them depending how well you do. The 'Dealer Button' also moves between the players during the game - when you are the 'dealer' you can make odd-numbered combos which will send more blocks faster to the rest of the players.

Makes for a frantic game! When you reach the top or have no chips left, you are eliminated and the winner is the last man standing.

Nice touch as well is an ingame shop which allows you to 'buy' things like gamerpics and themes using chips won in the game (you get a constant bank of your winnings).

So for 800pts, quite a lot to it - the game, once you get over the head-fuck of colours, shapes, sound is really clever. You have so much to think of - all the poker hands, any direction, bombs, slo-mo etc... really strategic.

This is defiantely in my top 3 of all time XBLA games. Hope some of you like it too then we can do some Multiplayer!

Anyone wants any info on the full game, then let me know...

Grabbed the full version after playing the trial earlier. Pretty damn fun game, and so addictive as well :) Two-player local multiplayer was a good laugh too, money well spent :D

Back
Top Bottom