Gameplay:

1. Defending. Aggressive/Physical animations, like shoving, pushing, pulling, shoulder to shoulder, standing tackles, slide tackles, etc. it all needs to be implemented with variations. We need to press a button to make it happen rather than just becoming contextual. Some can be contextual but for most it should be button pressing. When the game becomes more aggressive, it becomes more of a midfield battle rather than just ping pong fast paced. It would give more ways of fouling and more of a realistic game of football. It all needs to be stat based tho. To have that individuality. With that even passing will become less ping pong cuz you have many ways to defend, by stopping a player or foul them.

2. Shooting, plz for the love of God, bring back the old feel of shooting. Also the animations needs to feel right to the positioning of the ball, sometimes when I see the ball fly it makes no sense how it got that much power and just looks off. Bring back Shooting power, accuracy, technique stats. Weak foot and strong foot needs to be all about the positioning of both the body and ball. I don't mind the :r2: shooting this year cuz it's not too accurate and not so easy to score from. But the normal shooting needs to be improved massively in terms of trajectory and speed of the ball. Also like FIFA if you double tap :square: it will be a low shot, we need to have that. So much to talk about here, shooting overall needs to be improved. I hope they listen to this from all the feedback.

3. Smarter and more realistic AI. That's all I have to say about that.

4. Skills and dribbling. It has improved this year no doubt, even the best in the series. But all skilled players need to have their own set of skills, the most used move in their real life encounter should be the most responsive. Also not by spamming. It should take stamina into consideration. Also show us tutorials on how all can be done. Like in fighting games, you can check on the menu their skills and special moves and how to perform them.

Graphics
1. Presentation, I'm talking about in-game atmosphere. Much less cutscenes and black screens. Needs to have real coach, and bench. Players warming up on the side. Ball boy for throw ins. Substitution announcer. Crowd chants/sounds, when near the box and tackling. Even crowd reactions. All kind of stuff. Hell even a guy from the crowd invading the field. I don't care.
2. Better texture of the net and grass, and more variations.
3. Cameras, unlock all and make them all customizable.

Modes:

Just listen to all the feedback you get from fans for ML and MyClub or whatever. Also just do your thing and try to innovate. I can talk about this for days but everyone seems to have similar ideas on so many things.

It feels like there is a lack of control of what you are doing and luck comes into play a bit . .sometimes when you pass, it can go through a herd of players, other times it can be intercepted .. you feel under pressure from the Ai as soon as you receive the ball. .too many near misses and simple passes going to touch . ..samey goals. . the Ai or the user having no openings near the box and too many goals in the box itself while the box is packed with players ..no clear cut opportunities .. struggling to find space and then shots or headers which should have gone in going wide. . freekicks and corners are a lottery which are hard to score from. .slow clearance of balls from defence especially in the box . A feeling of Pes 2014 about the game. .slow response and balls running away from your control... easily dispossessd . ..too many defenders in the box when goals being scored. Forced down avenues to build up play to make scoring situations.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the game but the AI through balls to me is by far the biggest issue. The different team styles as well as the enjoyment of the build up play and midfield battle is usually the greatest strength of PES and this over the top ball is so frustrating.

Only nesa24, juce,zlac kilay and the others Evo Web's genius can save us from throwing in the trash this year's pes. All Bhattis promises are.words in the wind and I don't think we can have a so big patch that can solve all this issues. Forgive me if you can!

This post makes this thread useless vis à vis Konami.
What you are saying here is that the one person inside Konami that can listen to us, should be fired (of course you don't write it literally, but that would be the implication of what you are writing). I'm sorry to write this (and believe me it is not personal), but that is a stupid thing to do.

Anyway. Something other.

I don't think it's a good idea that people can give feedback with Twitter. Those messages are too short to make a valid point.

Some really god posts in this thread. Somebody should sent them to Adam (minus the one i quoted here. I don't necessarily disagree with it, but this way nothing will change).

Oh and i'm playing BAL.
In my first match for Werder Bremen i scored a brace and was man of the match (this never happened to me before).

Guess what: the following 4 matches i wasn't in the selection.

This is a mode that has potential, but it is broken.

PS: slightly off-topic afterwards i got in the team and had the best PES2018 match i've had, a cup tie against Mönchengladbach that i won 4-3 in injury time. Great match.

Imo the balance between defence and attack is very bad this year. Defending is clealy a failure.

IRL defending is about 3 key things :
- Marking : getting very close to the attacker, preventing runs and putting aggressive pressure on the AI players especially the centre forward and the playmaker. Impossible in pes18, even the marking instructions are useless. The only thing that work well is the advanced instruction of marking but it can be assigned to only one opposite player.
- Anticipation and placement : always adjust your positionning to cut passing lanes, close down spaces and compensate the movement of yout teammates. It's essential in football. You can't defend if you're passive, you have to move, adapt, be proactive to be effective when defending and above all defend as a unit, every defenders must be linked. Again i cant see anything like that in pes18.
- Physical pressure : In pes 2018 your defender is either tackling for the ball in the feet of the attacker or running next to him just doing nothing. IRL a defender always use his hands and upper body to put the opposite player off balance. If a CF is calling for the ball in his feet the CB follows him and put a great pressure on him. The CF is off balance, and has to use a great strength and agility to stay on his feet. When a winger attempt to outrun a wingback to cross the ball, the WB again follows him trying to put him off balance which make impossible for him to cross the ball coorectly. All this physical battle is totally missing in pes 18. You can just run or tackle, thats it. The upper body, the footwork and the balance is just not implemented in the game or at least not visible.

For me its he only flaw of pes18 gameplay. I can't complain about anything regarding attacking. But defending and physical battle is very very very bad.

Made my post a quote, so you don't have to scroll forever if you dont want to read, the post is very long
Great thread guys, agree with most. My additions

Form is too random, and has too much impact on ia starters in ml and comps. Because it inflates players overall too much. This needs to be toned down, maybe by making only their best stats go up and not all of them, or just making the stats being less inflated.

Injury needs to be more linked to the stat. I want my injuries prone players to spend more time injured, for more realism. reus, kompany etc should not be able to be on the field most of the year.

Getting Wingback position back is very important with all teams playing 3atb. Them being midfielders with the new instruction doesn't work because ia will select offensive midfielders most of the time. Kills realism

Players loaned should return to their club in ML, very important.

Animations: should rely on players stats more : bad passers should not be able to make back heel passes etc. They should have bad control/passes animations.
Very important, bad play animations.

Ball control should be a bit more loose, often for players with low stat. But players with good control should also make the occasional miss pass, control.

Shot variety : for example finesse shot are all curve and no power, there should be a shot type with less curve and more power.

A foul button, for tactical fouls without having to risk a red with a mean tackle

Soft pens should be whistled sometimes. Referee tendency to whistle some fouls based on league and why not referee personality.

Take care of your licenses more! Ligue 1 is licensed, there should be at least 4 stadiums. Make scoreboards for the leagues you own.

CL qualifications: at least get the teams right and use the real number of CL spots and real qualifiers process. Give 4 spots to the europe generic league, you know most of us will make it bundes. c'mon Liverpool in EL, most casuals are mad at this.

Improve European Cups immersion, public more tensed and louder, more crowd whistle, pre match cutscenes improved and final win too. Important players who played the final are still missing when rising the cup in final cutscene. All this for other comps improved too.

More league structures, playoffs for relegation / promotion

Team edits : the most important to me

- allow us to edit advanced instructions, the coded one. Allow us to edit when the team uses it (many triggers possible, time, opponent team tactics, opponent min/max strength, if winning/loosing, if winning by >x numbers of goals, same for loosing)

- allow us to edit att level defense with same triggers in mind, very important. Ex: when loosing by one goal at half time in knockout comp, red in attack and orange in defense instead of all red

-Allow us to add more than 3 default formation for teams we want to. Add a stat tendency for a coach/team to switch between those gameplans more or less based on opponent tactic and best XI. Creating more team identity, like tuchel switching formation all the time, zidane medium and conte never.

-pecking order in each formation. I want to be able to make a player start most games in a certain position ex Mandzu 1st left midfield even if he is a CF and someone in the team has better stats as a LMF, or better form. Then always pjaca etc. Khedira before Marchiso even if dmf, stuff like that.
Or you could just make a stat for each player regarding his gametime that is editable.

-when ia team looses, it will place an offensive player in a def or midfield position. Good idea, but the formation needs to change too, so he isn't a defensive liability and a bigger threat offensively. We should have a sub while loosing new formation, and a sub while winning new formation. And decide it with triggers too, more than x goals difference etc like i said for adv instruc and att def level.

-a 4th player position capcity, where he has the same stats as in his 1st. Could allow us to create more versatile players and make ia play only certain players out of position more.

-more team roles, advanced instructions, stats (teamwork and aggresion are the most missed, with shot technique)

-stats/slider for tendancy to call ball for players : wide/center, through balls or in his feet. So the likes of Lewa don't drift wide on the counters if Tactic says wide build up, or Cava don't call ball in his feet but always for through balls, even in possession based build up.

-ability to edit player attachment to team so we can have less chaos in transfer season, same for release clauses. For example i want removed all release clauses in france because it's illegal.

More players type of growth, i don't want all players in their thirties to immediately get worse and worse, i want some youngsters to have slow progress, other fast. Like in old pes.

The best teams should go for the best youngsters, not average older folks because after a while in ML most good team have gotten worse with bad transfer decision making.

Off the ball positioning has been improved, but we need more, the side backs should push a bit more even without adv instruction, att prowess based. Because only one pushes higher right now, the one on the flank where the play is.

IA players pass easily when under pressure, their stats should be more important for them to kick it far instead of playing out the back, even if tactics says play out the back. Through balls are okay in this regard, they will succeed depending on their stats and the space between my player and the one they try to reach.

Defending got a lot better, thanks for the 2 man defense i love it. But we need a better gestion of the d line, gets broken too easily. Make the last defender play the trap naturally, depending on def prowess stat.

Give us a button to press an other opponent, the most likely to get the ball so we can force back / side passes more easily, like irl.

Alright guys, Just fired up PES 2013 as promised @Lami, So this is a game created in 2012 on PC, I'm not claiming that it's better or worse than what we have right now as it's a matter of opinions, I'm just not sure that the franchise is making any progress at all or is going in the right direction, Some features have been removed and some others are there but don't function as they did or should, Have a look:

1- Fouls: Against the AI you see a lot of fouls and different types, mistimed sliding tackles, pushes, tackles from behind, This applies both ways as you may see your players in yellow card trouble sometimes depending on the ref......also ref advantage works well.

2- Stadium creator: Essential for ML immersion, You can create a basic stadium template for teams without downloading stuff, I like to create my own footballing universe and this tool helped me a lot!

3- Ball weight: The ball bobbles off the turf and the bounce and curve on it shows clearly, It's not as laser guided as we see now.

4- Shooting : The meter does work, if you hit the sweet spot you can score some lovely curlers as well grass cutters, It's also relative to the player ID and strong foot, Something we missed for years.

5- AI and GK: It's not perfect of course, But there are some very nice pass and run moves going on, Not as repetitive or backheely as we see now,their positioning is very good as they can explore space intelligently, GK's do come out off their line and depending on their rating they fumble sometimes and sometimes they make stupid challenges causing penalties and sending offs!.

6- Fatigue: By the 75th minute you notice fatigue on both teams and their performance suffers, passing,speed get worse and you can take advantage tactically.

7- Player ID Equipment and boosts: hmmm, Player ID was present at that time, Why are we so excited nowadays it's nothing new. As for shop items, Very interesting additions that year love it or hate it, Equipment and shops and boots, But it was innovative wasn't it? and also added some depth to the game coz the items actually made a difference in performance and stats and you had to manage your resources, MYClub anyone? :)

8- Master League : Transfer activity level + Player development were an option when you start the mode. You could also choose your sponsor, Staff and view latest transfers market news the covers every move the took place, A nice touch was showing you how many fan club member you have and the number changed with time as gauge for your status.

9- Replay and menus : Menus were very responsive and innovative, and had a fresh moving background. The replays allowed you to raise the camera a little, A feature which is annoying me for years now lol

10- Patches!!: Jenkey's tool allowed you to edit visuals,cameras,referee strictness,ball weight,animation speed,ai level,GK reaction speed,shot power and much more stuff...It was heaven!!

The message here is that most the stuff in this year's game was present and existed in an even better shape 5 or 6 years ago by the same company and with less technical capabilities, And this should be the benchmark for Konami not the lousy FIFA.

The community are offering to cater for most of the licensing issues with option files and so on specially with the advancement in technology and faster internet, Just give us a good platform to build on and we can bring back the glory days.

Oh and stop the PR silliness coz it's hurting the franchise a lot... Thanks!

Im done with this game. Since Im an online player only, its just more frustrating than fun. My main gripes are.

1) Nonreacting players. They ignore passes, they dont try to intercept passes, they dont try to clear the ball. In PES 2017 when I pressed clearence or pressure, the player would go into a 1v1 all in to try kick or get the ball. In 2018 the defender often does absolutelly nothing even if Im pressing it.
2) Defense is a joke. Players running out of positions, there is a dispute in the middle of the box and the CBs run into the side leaving the centre totally open. Really? Never seen that in 2017 (there were more openings after the latest update, but still it was nothing compared to the 2018 mess).
3) Overpowered attackers. I got scored and scored a lot of goals by just smashing the R1 button and totally bulldozering between two or three defenders like they were invisible. First two or three meters with the ball are so overpowered. Nonsense.
4) Maybe the biggest shit in ths game. Physical collisions. In 2017, I KNEW that if I were in a good position, the attacker had no chance to get past me. In 2018 they just somehow run through. Dont know why, dont know how, they just do. Extremely frustrating.

It has turned into a goalfest, attackfest and arcadefest. Defense doesnt exist. Its a shame, because the animations, ball physics and other things are awesome and so much better than in 2017. But in 2017 I was in control, in 2018 I dont feel it. Dont think a patch could fix all these things, sadly.

Im done with this game. Since Im an online player only, its just more frustrating than fun. My main gripes are.

1) Nonreacting players. They ignore passes, they dont try to intercept passes, they dont try to clear the ball. In PES 2017 when I pressed clearence or pressure, the player would go into a 1v1 all in to try kick or get the ball. In 2018 the defender often does absolutelly nothing even if Im pressing it.
2) Defense is a joke. Players running out of positions, there is a dispute in the middle of the box and the CBs run into the side leaving the centre totally open. Really? Never seen that in 2017 (there were more openings after the latest update, but still it was nothing compared to the 2018 mess).
3) Overpowered attackers. I got scored and scored a lot of goals by just smashing the R1 button and totally bulldozering between two or three defenders like they were invisible. First two or three meters with the ball are so overpowered. Nonsense.
4) Maybe the biggest shit in ths game. Physical collisions. In 2017, I KNEW that if I were in a good position, the attacker had no chance to get past me. In 2018 they just somehow run through. Dont know why, dont know how, they just do. Extremely frustrating.

It has turned into a goalfest, attackfest and arcadefest. Defense doesnt exist. Its a shame, because the animations, ball physics and other things are awesome and so much better than in 2017. But in 2017 I was in control, in 2018 I dont feel it. Dont think a patch could fix all these things, sadly.

Yeh I have experienced all of this, and have mentioned some of these problems already in one of the other threads on this site.

Here's one from me.

Player ratings
I'm playing BAL, and no matter how good I am, I always get a 7.0.

I don't understand how ratings work in PES.

Here is my feedback.

Have decided not to buy PES (nor Fifa) until the following issues are addressed:
  • AI defensive positioning and defensive awareness
  • realistic AI passing
  • ML scripting (including team spirit nonsense).

Have tried to give feedback in many other forms before. Did not help.

Missing footie games but also having tons of fun doing something else with that time (and money).

My one line review/feedback: PES does a wonderful job of capturing the beauty of football, but it's as if that's the only side of football that Konami wants us to experience.

Otherwise:
  • The exceptional is made mundane because what should be extremely difficult is easily and regularly pulled off
  • Too much space - makes it WAY too easy to move the ball forward; allows for exploits
  • Defensive AI - defenders adhere to general coded behaviors rather than making proper contextual decisions
  • Lack of aggression by CPU defenders/Lack of fouls
  • The way the CPU plays feels "contrived" - as if they're adhering to what the game wants to happen rather than contextual
  • Overall lack of variety, from animations to types of goals
  • Pitches look terrible

My one line review/feedback: PES does a wonderful job of capturing the beauty of football, but it's as if that's the only side of football that Konami wants us to experience.

Otherwise:
  • The exceptional is made mundane because what should be extremely difficult is easily and regularly pulled off
  • Too much space - makes it WAY too easy to move the ball forward; allows for exploits
  • Defensive AI - defenders adhere to general coded behaviors rather than making proper contextual decisions
  • Lack of aggression by CPU defenders/Lack of fouls
  • The way the CPU plays feels "contrived" - as if they're adhering to what the game wants to happen rather than contextual
  • Overall lack of variety, from animations to types of goals
  • Pitches look terrible

I agree with most of that . .the most annoying thing is the repetition of chipping into the forward in the box even if he's three feet away.

Bring back more stats.

The game is nerfed because so many freaking stats have become combined over the years. I am trying to edit and make the defense more aggresive but there is no stat for that (or maybe it is combined with defensive prowess or ball winning?)! This is why they are having such a difficult time patching in more fouls! Usually a developer team will have a global editor (sliders) to change the entirety of the games players at once (without changing their actual stats) but they can't right now because it doesn't even exist. If it is tied to ball winning and you increase that then defenders also get better at winning the ball so don't foul more either. If it is tied to defensive prowess then they get into position quicker first and it loses that loosness of real football. Anyway, more stats would be HUGE! This combination stuff is crap and is really messing up the game.

I agree with the most of your opinions

really the efforts that they should do is not huge
just do that , test all the modes until the end in every aspect

I mean 360 degrees OVER ALL PLATFORMS from db (retired players regen , again Totti is here, SWOS in '97 was miles ahead,) , strips import ( i've more then 1300 image, any import of a single kit require at least a minute, please gimme a search tab) , silly stadiums limit for euro/south america (solved in 5 min you have just to change a byte)
and about tactics, really, try to put in your mind the idea of a WINGBACK, thought like a new position, stop to tweak an old tactics placement, Fullbacks and Sidemidfielders aren't Wingback
Cuz seeing the default tactics i don't think you know what is a wingback and over all i don't know who is the maker of all that but in the most of the case players are misplaced during the game.
Try to check who play during a season of ML on vanilla game, that's a shame.
Morgan (Leicester CB 77) never play a match on vanilla game (with Live update), cuz Iborra overlap him on OVR (80 DM but 84 CB), and also all the other CB overlap Morgan.
about RM/LM i think that the most of default tactics can't fit the real teams
Chelsea use Hazard (?????) on the left/right flank (again he overlap any LB/LM with his OVR)
Arsenal (should be partnership) on the left flank have A. Sanchez (same story about Hazard)...
The most of 3 defenders formation teams in the rosters have only Fullbacks that never plays on your default tactics as side midfielders
And this is just over the players roles.
Summarized in a phrase
PLEASE TEST

Well after a good solid season and a half on ML the following thing stand out for me:

Stats just don't count, pace and strength especially. A great example of this is Albrighton steam-rollering Matic (just ran over him and he stumbles) in the middle of the park. Human controlled player just cant shield the ball in the same way the AI controlled players can. The number of times I've "broke the Defensive line" only for a super human 15 - 20 yard sprint from a DF to catch a FW in full flow. The reverse of this is if my defensive line gets broke (normally on half way!) I have no hope of catching the player irrespective of pace stat.

AI - For me Konami have a big problem (EA probably have the same issue) The majority of people playing this game have done for long periods for years and know the majority of patterns and styles the AI adopts. This must be a fine balance as we could be complaining about it being too easy but instead we are complaining about super human feats and scripting by the AI. We cant say with absolute certainty that there is "scripting" in the game but.... this for me is a feeling that has gotten stronger year on year. You play a simple pass and it just goes to long, an open goal shot rolls just wide. AI plays incredible inch perfect passes that trickle past your DF's. All defensive clearances go to an opposition player, all the majority of 50/50's go in the AI favour. This also manifests in the periods when you just know you are going to concede no matter what you do. This also leads to "removing" elements of your control and players abilities and once you loose trust in this it can sour the gaming experience. Last year If you played a high pressing style you would get a lot of goals from the poor GK distribution, it would appear that the way that has been fixed is to now make it a foul if you tackle the last man!

A 2nd issue with AI this year is the styles adopted by teams 8/10 of all games I play are long to CF to try to split CB's with a 1-2 or spammed long balls to wingers. For me I have only really felt licensed teams have played anywhere near their own styles.

Player switching; needs fixed ASAP - hopefully first patch addresses this.

Fouls - Do we need to go there - so broken its unbelievable. Again it adds the "unfair" feels to the game that the Human player gives away so many fouls that appear to be "good" tackles.

Tactics / Formations / Defending : The AI 1-2 just wreaks havoc to CB's I currently have my DF line set as far back as it can go and set to stand off. It is still unbelievable the number of time I get "split on the half way line". The AI's ability to retain the ball is amazing most, a gripe from the older pro evo's was when AI had the ball, you would pressure and the spin in a circle on the spot to retain the ball - in 2018 all AI players seem to have this ability.

Awareness - This does tie in with player switching but if you are not in control of a player its as if he forgets he's a footballer! The number of times a team mate watches a ball roll past him is unbelievable. Defenders with high defensive stats have no awareness of danger. An example of this is the number of times I'm chasing a winger down the line for my CB's to decide to start heading towards the half way line. Also playing against 1 striker, 1 of the cb's will not drop off. Defending just doesn't work in it current guise.

ML - Transfers rather unrealistic - team spirit, Its low so you cant sprint as fast! WTF! Bring back more stats. I hope the community gets chance to feedback about this mode as the immersion is starting to fade away.

Game atmosphere - none existent. No chants, cheers quite bland.

This does seem quite a wall of text rant but the frustration for me in that it felt that this year was all set up to deliver a polished pro evo experience, the game has been heading in the right direction but so many of last years issues have not been fixed or are getting worse.

Things that have improved:

Keepers - They still do the odd crazy thing but in the main, they are great.
ML transfer negotiations - new system works well for me.
Player ID and animations - Look really good

Well done on your commitment if you've read all of this - I wish someone from Konami would.

Well after a good solid season and a half on ML the following thing stand out for me:

Stats just don't count, pace and strength especially. A great example of this is Albrighton steam-rollering Matic (just ran over him and he stumbles) in the middle of the park. Human controlled player just cant shield the ball in the same way the AI controlled players can. The number of times I've "broke the Defensive line" only for a super human 15 - 20 yard sprint from a DF to catch a FW in full flow. The reverse of this is if my defensive line gets broke (normally on half way!) I have no hope of catching the player irrespective of pace stat.

AI - For me Konami have a big problem (EA probably have the same issue) The majority of people playing this game have done for long periods for years and know the majority of patterns and styles the AI adopts. This must be a fine balance as we could be complaining about it being too easy but instead we are complaining about super human feats and scripting by the AI. We cant say with absolute certainty that there is "scripting" in the game but.... this for me is a feeling that has gotten stronger year on year. You play a simple pass and it just goes to long, an open goal shot rolls just wide. AI plays incredible inch perfect passes that trickle past your DF's. All defensive clearances go to an opposition player, all the majority of 50/50's go in the AI favour. This also manifests in the periods when you just know you are going to concede no matter what you do. This also leads to "removing" elements of your control and players abilities and once you loose trust in this it can sour the gaming experience. Last year If you played a high pressing style you would get a lot of goals from the poor GK distribution, it would appear that the way that has been fixed is to now make it a foul if you tackle the last man!

A 2nd issue with AI this year is the styles adopted by teams 8/10 of all games I play are long to CF to try to split CB's with a 1-2 or spammed long balls to wingers. For me I have only really felt licensed teams have played anywhere near their own styles.

Fouls - Do we need to go there - so broken its unbelievable. Again it adds the "unfair" feels to the game that the Human player gives away so many fouls that appear to be "good" tackles.

Tactics / Formations / Defending : The AI 1-2 just wreaks havoc to CB's I currently have my DF line set as far back as it can go and set to stand off. It is still unbelievable the number of time I get "split on the half way line". The AI's ability to retain the ball is amazing most, a gripe from the older pro evo's was when AI had the ball, you would pressure and the spin in a circle on the spot to retain the ball - in 2018 all AI players seem to have this ability.

Awareness - This does tie in with player switching but if you are not in control of a player its as if he forgets he's a footballer! The number of times a team mate watches a ball roll past him is unbelievable. Defenders with high defensive stats have no awareness of danger. An example of this is the number of times I'm chasing a winger down the line for my CB's to decide to start heading towards the half way line. Also playing against 1 striker, 1 of the cb's will not drop off. Defending just doesn't work in it current guise.

ML - Transfers rather unrealistic - team spirit, Its low so you cant sprint as fast! WTF! Bring back more stats. I hope the community gets chance to feedback about this mode as the immersion is starting to fade away.

This does seem quite a wall of text rant but the frustration for me in that it felt that this year was all set up to deliver a polished pro evo experience, the game has been heading in the right direction but so many of last years issues have not been fixed or are getting worse.

Well done on your commitment if you've read all of this - I wish someone from Konami would.

I agree with everything here. .. the 1-2's are impossible to stop . ..ball getting taken from your toe when you finally get through the defense after a lot of hard work.

Totally agree

I agree with everything here. .. the 1-2's are impossible to stop . ..ball getting taken from your toe when you finally get through the defense after a lot of hard work.

I pray the Lord for a good fix in the upcoming patch (and more fouls and penalties)

Last edited:
Just had the chance to try one game only, Liverpool vs Arsenal.
Well, the improvement in graphics, atmosphere, animations and details is very noticeable.
The game was even more powerful than my PC, no lags but it wasn't that smooth, my PC was breathing fire :D so I had to close the game after one match.
Can't give a feedback about the game-play right now.
When I have time I'll sort the PC performance thing and play more matches.

Player ratings
I'm playing BAL, and no matter how good I am, I always get a 7.0.

I don't understand how ratings work in PES.

Same here. Scored two goals and two assists in Superstar mode, ended up with rating of 8.0. Anyway the highest rating I ever got in a PES game was 8.5 in PES 2010.

Playing BAL mode in Legend difficulty is crazy. The opponent players turn into tiki-taka Barcelona gods, doesn't matter if it's SPAL, Valenciennes or any other club. At the same time your teammates decline terribly back to Beginner mode. Overall you get the feeling that it's 1 vs. 11 game.

Last edited:
The driven pass that can travel 60 yards + is excessive and needs to be toned down IMO.

Seemingly any player can play the pass and more often than not, the intended target is usually open.

I've played matches (online) where players get frustrated because their usual style of play isn't working and use the driven missile as a way out.

I've been playing this years iteration a good bit recently, mostly online co-op 3v3 and also MyClub mostly against the AI as single player online frustrated the crap out of me, so I'll base my impressions off that. I'm coming back to PES after a bit of a break over the last couple of years, so bear with me if some of these things are not new. I did have PES 2017 (on Xbox and PS4) as well as the previous versions, usually on both formats as well, but I have not played them as extensively as I seem to be playing 18. Overall I'm enjoying a lot of things in it this year as they have improved upon a lot of the gripes I previously had, but below are some things that I feel need addressing.

1. Player changing - I like how they've introduced the second symbol to show who you will change to next, but this seems to have affected the right stick change option as there are too many times that I want to change to a specific players and I have to wait until that symbol moves onto them, then catch it before it changes off them. Annoying!

2. AI blocking shots - This is really, really frustrating. You work an angle, build up play nicely etc.. get into some space and power up a shot, just for the AI to magically nearly warp a defender right in front of you to block the shot before it can be released. The amount of times the attacking player seems to delay that extra split second to allow this to happen really annoys me. Not to mention when it's the opposite way around the AI seem to get less space from 30m out and hit shots that fly straight into the top corner within a split second as if a power bar isn't required for them!

3. Frictionless Advanced Through Balls - I've read through this topic and only skimmed a couple of longer posts, but I didn't see anyone mention this. Am I the only one that has found that you can no longer play the manual through ball into space and chase it? You used to be able to do this and as long as you managed the power bar well and got your angles right, you could put the ball exactly where you wanted it. This year if you don't angle the pass into the imaginary line of the intended players run the ball just continues on its merry way and rolls out of play, as if it's just sliding on ice. The worst cases of this will have a player chasing a ball that you just know he's just never quite going to catch, well not until it has just rolled across the boundary line that is.

4. PA1 issues - Yes, this is a popular one but the assist power on these has been ramped up for sure. You can tell when you perform a couple of experiments with it, the main one being throwing your team into full attack mode and the CB joins the front line. I've had it happen on more than one occasion that when he gets the ball up there in a slightly hectic situation and I've press up/down for a vertical pass to a close by winger/striker that he attempts to play the ball to his CB partner, who is back near the halfway line... There are also the issues with closely overlapping players and the AI deciding that you didn't want to actually play the ball to the closer player, even though you based your power input on that idea and instead has the ball dribble towards the further away player while you furiously try to hit L1/LB/Right stick (See point 1.!) to rectify the situation. Is it too much to ask in this day and age for a bit of situational awareness from your AI teammates?

5. Scripted AI Play/Goals - This has already been covered, but I see this on Top Player/Superstar all the time in MyClub and the competitions. There comes a time when the AI decides it's time for them to score and there is literally nothing you can do about it.

6. Tackle, re-tackle - I think this one is an effect of the beefed up "physicality" system they have implemented. It happens so often on the higher difficulties against the AI and also online, where you tackle someone, win the ball cleanly, but your player either runs straight into the opponent and gets stuck in an animation that leads to you losing the ball again, or even worse just seems to lose himself in the fact he's just won the ball and goes limp for a second, only for the player you just tackled to instantly tackle you and take the ball back.

7. Fouls - Also already covered, but the lack of fouls from the AI is annoying, especially on the higher difficulties where they apply such aggressive pressing yet somehow manage to never give away more than 1 or 2 fouls let alone get booked.

8. Throw-ins - One of my absolute pet hates with PES and one that has been the same for years, especially online. It's way too easy to cheese the opponent at throw-ins. Maybe I'm missing something to make things easier but it's irritating.

9. Commentary - How is this still so bad?! And not only that, but getting worse! "He tried to have a shot, but there was too much flesh and bone in his way". "This game has got a definite flow about it, but there may still be time for some ebb".

10. Menus and loading times! - Something needs to be done here, as the loading times are horrendous. Start the game up and spend literally 2 minutes waiting for the "*Gamertag* has started the game" pop up among other menus and loading wheels in the bottom left corner, live updates, recent patch updates, contacting Konami servers, it goes on and on. Get rid of half that shit, do it in the background and let us start navigating through the menus more quickly, even if they're somewhat 'limited' until things have fully loaded.

11. Songs - This may be a slightly unimportant and personal one, but 12 songs.... really? One of the things I actually really enjoyed about FIFA, going back to 2008 for example, was the soundtrack. You could literally find new artists/tracks in there that you had never heard before and that expanded your musical horizons. They had upwards of 35-40 tracks on there in order to do so! Now we all know PES hasn't got the same clout when it comes to buying the rights/paying the royalties for things, but this shouldn't stop them going out and being able to find new and interesting artists from different regions who won't cost the earth to have featured. It will improve things no end and won't make the soundtrack as ingrained on your brain as Jim Beglin after your second week of playing the game! The other option, which I'm sure most people actually plum for, is playing the game in near silence, apart from some crowd noise once they're actually playing a match (which is also quite pants for this day and age).

Ok, that went on a bit. I didn't realise I had that much frustration in me and I'mnot sure I even feel better after listing it all out. haha. :D

Well, I played more games than I did with PES2012-2017 combined. It's not that much though. But, I can point out some observations.
All in all, this game is enjoyable, really, I am a PES6 fan and since PES2011 I didn't play any other PES. Yes my PC was shit but I didn't like them that much even in better PCs of my friends.
This year it's really next gen, the animations, movements, skills, etc ... are great.

Gameplay is of course still better than FIFA by miles (does FIFA really have a gameplay at all?), but, I don't like how AI is playing some high level tiki taka, even when you play against Reading or Fulham ... It's really annoying for me.

Also, my defense is really shitty. Maybe the high level tiki taka of the AI made it look shitty.
I can exactly predict what the AI will do, I read exactly the attackers movements, yet, I can do nothing.

There's another issue, it's about changing the cursor on my players, I don't know if there's a setting to handle this, but, no player makes any kind of action (defensive or offensive) unless he has the cursor on him, which really sucks. In PES6, even players without cursors can press, call the ball, make some runs to give you solutions. I don't know if there's something in-game that can change that, I've been really away from the new PES after 2011.

Damn it, this game is really pissing me off regarding how easy the AI scores, I'm playing ML, I scored 38 and conceded 25. While my opponents have scored around 27 and conceded 13.
Most of my scores are 5-3, 4-2, 3-3, 3-2.
I always concede goals, in a stupid way. Fuck.

Ok, got this game and finally had the chance to complete one full season, so here it goes:

cursors: I miss the days when you could select the player who's the nearest to the ball at the press of a L1 button. In 2018 it is not always the case. At times I find myself pressing 4, 5, 6 times and the cursor goes all over the place, except to the player who's nearest to all the action. It happens both online and offline, and I have conceded multiple times because of this, which really boils my piss.
PS: I know we can change cursos at the flick of the R stick, but I think it isn't accurate either, nor acceptable (the deal with Winning Eleven/PES has always been "L1 takes you to where all the action is", so why screw this up now?)

lobbed through pass: just give us a way to defend against this. Yes, we can tweak our tactics but it will only help so much. I've come across abusers of this move online, but I see now that even the AI resorts to that - especially in that insane "Legend" difficulty. Always the same stuff - a one-two, with a pass going backwards and the player bursting forward to collect the lobbed pass.

stats warping When playing the AI on Superstar or Legend, it's clear that even some weaker players will perform as if they're world beaters. On competitions it is more noticeable on certain matches (cup ties, derbys and the odd relegation fighting club who perform like Brazil '70). On these occasions, it feels more like beating a videogame boss rather than a football simulation (which should reflect the difference in quality of players). I say get rid of this scripting, and work a little more on the AI and play style variations.

Having said that, the AI has made a bit of progress this year, which I'm pleased to see. Good stuff from the keepers as well!

Oh, another thing occurred to me: why did they change it the commands for letting the ball through the legs?

In past versions it was L1 + R1 to pull that feint (letting the ball through with the turn and run) and simply holding R1 to allow it to go to another team player.

Now it is the other way around?
Why change this now?

Ok, got this game and finally had the chance to complete one full season, so here it goes:

cursors: I miss the days when you could select the player who's the nearest to the ball at the press of a L1 button. In 2018 it is not always the case. At times I find myself pressing 4, 5, 6 times and the cursor goes all over the place, except to the player who's nearest to all the action. It happens both online and offline, and I have conceded multiple times because of this, which really boils my piss.
PS: I know we can change cursos at the flick of the R stick, but I think it isn't accurate either, nor acceptable (the deal with Winning Eleven/PES has always been "L1 takes you to where all the action is", so why screw this up now?)

Exactly this, this is also one of the things that piss me off. And even worse, the player with no cursor does nothing, he isn't even concerned with the game, until you press L1 several times, and by the time you managed to get him the cursor you concede a goal.

Back
Top Bottom