PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

However, I absolutely hope you're right and that SOMEHOW, despite all of the ignorance and blocking, the criticism has got through and for PES 2017 he starts interviews by saying "yeah, we had major AI problems last year, which we've now fixed". If so, I'll wave a flag with his name on should he want me to...

Did you read the last interview here?

http://www.squawka.com/news/intervi...-new-faces-and-the-series-big-comeback/626330

He says

“As you can see from the quality [of PES 2016], the jump has been dramatic.”

and

When PES 2016 hit, it felt like we were leading up to a fantastic moment, and we were hit really hard.
“The roster issue took the wind completely from our sails. It took us a lot of time to recover.

So, for him Pes 2016 problem is just the delayed roster update.

He couldn't be more wrong. There are deep flaws within this game, not just a delasyed roster update.

Enjoy Fifa and I'll enjoy pes.
I'm not enjoying FIFA - I did originally but it's one-dimensional, CPU AI is all the same (and admittedly, maybe I should record that - the only reason I haven't is because I haven't seen anyone in the FIFA section disagree with that statement).

Anyway - and I genuinely mean this - I enjoy your PES posts and I do respect your opinion on the game, even if my rage at it (based on my personal opinion) makes it seem otherwise, so, sorry, man. Wasn't my intention.

B-man needs to get some of us on the WENB podcast, if there's any chance of someone at Konami actually hearing it!

I'm not enjoying FIFA - I did originally but it's one-dimensional, CPU AI is all the same (and admittedly, maybe I should record that - the only reason I haven't is because I haven't seen anyone in the FIFA section disagree with that statement).

Anyway - and I genuinely mean this - I enjoy your PES posts and I do respect your opinion on the game, even if my rage at it (based on my personal opinion) makes it seem otherwise, so, sorry, man. Wasn't my intention.

B-man needs to get some of us on the WENB podcast, if there's any chance of someone at Konami actually hearing it!

That's no probs Chris I hope I didn't offend you either. .. some of your posts are very well thought out. I'm sure we'll do battle in the future lol.

Your defending wasnt great, thats why they scored. They pass to the winger, you make the mistake of letting your CB (Cahill) move forward to tackle, exposing the area behind him and letting the attacker get in the box. Then you are too late to switch to the recovering defender.
My point wasn't that I defended perfectly and they still scored - but that 90% of the goals they score are the same (nice bit of ping-pong passing and - more importantly - a low shot into the corner).

I'm aware that my defending needs work... :CRY: But, we used to say about PES "no two goals are the same" (reviewers used to say that in every year's article). But I don't think we can say that any more. No CPU long range screamers, or goals out of nowhere, or blasted shots, or blasted-over-the-bar shots even (or at least, far too rarely). If the CPU was a human opponent sitting next to you on the sofa, you'd punch him in the face for constantly exploiting the game's weakness (i.e. that bottom corner).

My favourite bit of PES used to be the "holy shit did you see that" moments, where the AI does something completely different, with at least SOME regularity, or scores a goal that shocks you. We've lost that, in my opinion (which I was trying to back up with the videos).

So, for [Adam] Pes 2016 problem is just the delayed roster update.

He couldn't be more wrong. There are deep flaws within this game, not just a delasyed roster update.
This is why I worry, and I totally agree.

But as Gerd says, I guess there's a chance that he can't say anything negative about the current game and that when PES 2017 starts getting PR, he says "yeah, we've fixed X, Y and Z".

(:PRAY:)

That's no probs Chris I hope I didn't offend you either. .. some of your posts are very well thought out. I'm sure we'll do battle in the future lol.
There's no sword-jousting emoji so :BEER: will have to do! Until next time, my friend. :LOL:

Last edited:
My point wasn't that I defended perfectly and they still scored - but that 90% of the goals they score are the same (nice bit of ping-pong passing and - more importantly - a low shot into the corner).

I'm aware that my defending needs work... :CRY: But, we used to say about PES "no two goals are the same" (reviewers used to say that in every year's article). But I don't think we can say that any more. No CPU long range screamers, or goals out of nowhere, or blasted shots, or blasted-over-the-bar shots even (or at least, far too rarely). If the CPU was a human opponent sitting next to you on the sofa, you'd punch him in the face for constantly exploiting the game's weakness (i.e. that bottom corner).

Totally agree.

I posted my impression about the goal size, more than a month ago:

http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3125088&postcount=8673

I just don't see how it's playable with those issues there, Lami. If someone said "oh FIFA's great apart from" and then listed something incredibly important (like "the missing fouls", which you've said yourself is a part of football and something you want to see), people would laugh in their face and say "how can you call it football without that". But because it's PES, it's okay, you can "enjoy it for what it is"...

No, it's not because it's PES it gets a pass. It's because the other footballing aspects of it that I'm still enjoying is what keeps me going or coming back to it. It's nothing to do with the name PES, Fifa, or any other name. That's just silly to subtly drag this into a PES v Fifa thing. C'mon. I simply don't play Fifa because to me it doesn't do some basic footballing things right. I loved Fifa's women's competition and that was it. Make the whole game like that and I'm sold, but it's not. To some others PES doesn't get anything they want right and their choice is Fifa. And to some more others, they think none of these games deserve any of their precious time and would rather spend it playing something else. To each their own. But this is me and my taste. I want a football game to play, I simply can't not play and PES is my choice for what it does. Every single year I've been going on these PES series "marathons" (Honome made that up to make fun of me every time) to try and find the one to play until the new one arrives.

Re: PES 2016 again, never once was I ok with it's faults. I keep shouting out "Foul ref!" every God damn game and I try my best to defend well to avoid that shitty obvious goal that I can see coming. I came on here and complained and even said I'm done with it. Left it a while then thought I'd try something, that worked for me and made the game playable again. Thankfully because of that, I could somehow just live with the faults, until something is done about them. I just can't keep coming on here complaining about the same crap every single time I post. I'm going to bore people to hell and just get myself and everyone around me depressed. I'd rather find a solution, which is either not play it, or just find something that would help me cope until the newer version is out.

We can go on all the official PES/Konami social channels to give our honest opinions about what we would like to see changed for the better, but that is all we can do. And until that is hopefully done, in the meantime, I want to play a football game, and PES is my only choice here. It's not like I have a ton other football games to choose from.

If the game depresses you that much, and you say you care for it, I'd rather you concentrate all your energy on tweeting Adam and/or the PES team, until they get the point. Do everything you can. If they say your opinion doesn't matter because you're just one person, and you'll need to back it up with the opinions of many others, then by all means create a thread here with a poll and show that to them. Or even a petition. That'll provide them with enough proof.

Last edited:
I get your point Lami, and again yours is an opinion I respect, but I respectfully disagree that we have to play PES because it's the "only choice" - I've had so much fun with PES 2013 in the last few weeks (but yes, it could easily be argued that 2013 is flawed too - every game is flawed, but I don't think it's as heavily flawed - but again, obviously, that's just my opinion).

I absolutely agree that FIFA isn't a substitute for PES - they're different games, and besides that, I can't bear the AI in FIFA any longer.

Also, to be fair, you mention starting a poll - I sort of have albeit in a basic fashion, and I tweet too (but I don't tag Adam in them in-case I get tarred with the "block" brush - but, he follows me, so I'm hoping he'll see them without feeling the need to "respond").

I've had my rant, but genuinely feel like there's been a discussion worth having too as a result (even if it's a repeated one). I'll keep the videos to YouTube from now on (and maybe Twitter too).

Last edited:
It waste of time speak about Bhatti. I remember when he was at Gamescom in 2008 and said that Pes 2009 is the best football game. In his opinion Pes 2009= Pes 5. This moment for me was huge in my mind. I never trust him after that. Never. I remember when i talked with him in 2006 ( Yes 10'years ago!!) about new engine in Pes. I said to him Pes need it he said no pes has good engine but problem is with team developers not engine. Waste of time. He exactly know what is a problem with Pes but he never say true like many of us.

Ill probably get abuse for posting this, but well I feel like its worth saying.

First up, im a mid-30s gamer who has always been on the PES wagon (bar FIFA 10-12) but that was for the Team Play more than anything else.

Im not a great 'joypad jockey' and im not a hardcore player either, as such in a sitting I might play 6-10 games and that is normally 1-2 times a week, sometimes less.

Now as a fan of PES I have enjoyed the last couple, but I understand all the issues... my main pet peeve is the AIs preference to shoot low, which can get annoying but not game breaking.

But my main point is, the grief that this game gets makes me wonder if im playing the same game as other people! I have some great fun playing the game, last night for example as Villa on Master League I played 3 games and each had their own identity and were fun to play.

I play on Professional mode, no edits bar kits and I use +1 speed as the default to me looks like playing in treacle. Now whether that makes a difference or not idk, but I see over hit passes, balls bobbling off players, mis controls, fouls... yes FOULS, I drew 7 in 3 games and gave up just as many. The AI hit the bar (its rare, but it happened), their shots although mainly low, some were probably waist height for the keeper as well (but as I say this is my main gripe still).

The AI build up play can be fantastic as well, just a joy to watch at times, nothing scripted about it, some flowing moves, but also some real ballsup both up top and at the back.

Keepers on both sides were decent, infact good, some great saves and some scrambles that just erupted in the area. There were battles over the pitch and although I occasionally had the freedom of hte middle of the park, its not like some suggest were you can run up and down at will.

Id have loved to have the games recorded for people to watch, as from what people say, they would never believe im playing PES16. Yet this is how the game is for me, sometimes you have the odd dull as dishwater game, but normally 5 out of 6 of my games leave me wanting more.

I play on full manual on all settings, semi assist for the CPU to switch to a near player (I think).

Ill probably record some of my games sometime, even to playback for myself to try and find what im missing in terms of hating on the game. But all in all I must have the Adam Bhatti gold edition version of PES ;)

Chris, no one's denying anything you're showing though? That doesn't mean other changes happened to the game. Personally the game feels slower. I've seen other little subtle changes as well but I won't mention them because I want to finish the tourney, play another mode and see if I still see them. I want to know if it's all just coincidence, is it just Euro cup mode, is it every other mode apart from ML, etc.

There are some improvements, specially on the tatical side of the game.

As I mentioned before, the taticsl change the CPU does during the match makes a better impact on the game than before, CPU Team AI seem to be more "hungry" to win if they need to get three points to qualify, they sudeenly become more agressive and put some tatical pressure on your own half during the 2nd half of the game when they are loosing by 1 goal.

Another thing that it was improved for sure and its clearly notable with just few secounds playing the game is how your teammates in the midfield behave defensively. Before they were so dumb, they didnt care about keeping well positioned, moving sideways or backwards to keep the teams shape or close gaps, they just moved blindly towards the man on the ball leaving gaps, neither your defence line moved forward, so there was always a huge space between the midfield and the defence line.

This was improved. 99% sure about it.

Last edited:
To say there are no gameplay changes is a blatant lie.

Example: CPU now actively marking your player during throw-in. This was something I personally requested around a month and a half ago through Official PES Facebook channel. Glad that they actually took times to read the feedback.

Tactically the game also has saw some modifications. Now when I set my team to sit deep, they actually did just that. Previously, no matter how defensive-minded your tactic were, your team join charge forward once you got the possession. Romania is a very good example of this (with default fluid formation ON).

Yes, there were some improvements for sure. I have been very critical about this years version and if even I can see some improvements, anyone else can. But these are just some tweaks, minor adjustments that make the game more enojoyable, wich is the realistic expectation we can ger from updates.

But it seems that people expect revolutionary changes from updates, to a point that it doesnt even look like Pes 2016 anymore. This will never happen.

On another note, for those who are looking for challenging, I advise to play Euro on superstar level, manual passing/shooting and pick up Germany. The second match will be against POLAND.

Poland puts some seriour pressure, they are extremely aggressive defensively, its hard to beat them.

I complained about CPU marking at throw ins about 3 years ago. I'll be interested to test whether I notice a difference and whether it's still easy to rob the AI from their own throw ins. (I've played a few games since the patch and am still not sure about any gameplay changes if I'm honest)

With the Chris debate, I can see and agree with everything he says as well as the other well documented issues with the game, to make a suggestion that he is acting like a troll would is ludicrous. He makes valid points backed up with evidence.

But, as Lami says these are things that are accepted and agreed with by the people that enjoy the game too, and not accepted like 'oh well it's PES so we let them get away with it' accepted because somehow, despite the fact these are massive irritants at times and frustrations, the game is still really enjoyable. I don't know about anyone else but despite having a list as long as my arm of changes I feel are a must I have the 'one more game' feeling. I literally don't want to put the controller down at times. It's almost as of the flaws keep me engaged with the product :D

To say there are no gameplay changes is a blatant lie.

Example: CPU now actively marking your player during throw-in. This was something I personally requested around a month and a half ago through Official PES Facebook channel. Glad that they actually took times to read the feedback.

Tactically the game also has saw some modifications. Now when I set my team to sit deep, they actually did just that. Previously, no matter how defensive-minded your tactic were, your team join charge forward once you got the possession. Romania is a very good example of this (with default fluid formation ON).

I agree there are game play changes after the patch. Much better game flow in general. Happy with the game this year and it's enjoyable. I am coming to this forum to get some good tips on the game and all I find is ranting and over the top complains about the game. Some people made there point several times and can not just stop.

Deco, now it happens that i agree with some of thethings Chris writes about PES 2016.
I don't think i'm negatively biased towards PES, since a couple of months ago somebody here wrote that i'm one of the 4 biggest fanboys...

Chris and i don't PM each other to compare notes about PES.

As for the WENB podcast of our American friend, he is so bad on it...i listen to it avid as i am to near news about a new PES, but i really don't like when he's trying to be funny...and that is at least something where Chris and i don't agree. But it's not that important.

Is there any way I can changes the stadiums for Euro 2016 mode? it seems that it only plays in 2 or 3 stadiums every time

I cant beat Poland, I just cant. Its ridiculous lol.

Lol I can't beat Portugal. . Im addicted to the new Euro championship. .even with all it's faults there's some great football being played. When it takes the shackles off and allows you to play it's great. . .have turned it off for the Germany v England match and I'm strung out!

Lol I can't beat Portugal. . Im addicted to the new Euro championship. .even with all it's faults there's some great football being played. When it takes the shackles off and allows you to play it's great. . .have turned it off for the Germany v England match and I'm strung out!
I play PES 2016 on PS4 and PS3 and the gameplay is totally different. Much better on PS3. More variation in CPU play and shooting. I prefer Winning Eleven 2014 gameplay but right now, after Euro patch, PS3 version is the closest to PES 6 gameplay.

I cant beat Poland, I just cant. Its ridiculous lol.

Did you both play Poland and Portugal in the second group match? I don't know if there is scripting or am I just frustrated but when I played Spain vs Turkey (2nd group match), The AI had to shots in the game and scored 2 goals from the lob pass into the area and low shots, I had plenty of chances but every shot always went wide. I think there's a way to cover this by doing man marking, I did not change the tactis and used default on this one.

I play PES 2016 on PS4 and PS3 and the gameplay is totally different. Much better on PS3. More variation in CPU play and shooting. I prefer Winning Eleven 2014 gameplay but right now, after Euro patch, PS3 version is the closest to PES 6 gameplay.

I'm on PC, the gameplay is fantastic for me right now, I can't stop playing the EUROs :D

I tried playing on level 1 pass support and basic shooting.. the game became way too easy. I think konami also tweaked basic shooting, many shots missed if you hold the left analog too long.

Last edited:
Did you both play Poland and Portugal in the second group match? I don't know if there is scripting or am I just frustrated but when I played Spain vs Turkey (2nd group match), The AI had to shots in the game and scored 2 goals from the lob pass into the area and low shots, I had plenty of chances but every shot always went wide. I think there's a way to cover this by doing man marking, I did not change the tactis and used default on this one.

I'm on PC, the gameplay is fantastic for me right now, I can't stop playing the EUROs :D

I tried playing on level 1 pass support and basic shooting.. the game became way too easy. I think konami also tweaked basic shooting, many shots missed if you hold the left analog too long.

Agreed! Since the latest patch and DLC, PES 2016 feels much improved. Ai shooting accuracy lowered, Keepers seem much more competent and defensive play feels more aggressive.

I said in a few posts back that the shots are more powerful but the accuracy is lowered. I keep getting beaten in the first match after qualifying from the group. .. plenty of scripting going on but seems more subtle .. less blatant.

Agreed! Since the latest patch and DLC, PES 2016 feels much improved. Ai shooting accuracy lowered, Keepers seem much more competent and defensive play feels more aggressive.

Agree with you accuracy lowered and keepers pulling off great saves. . .more unpredictability in the game. If they fix everybody's pet hate of low shots in the corner .. running through unchallenged and better refs we could have a decent game for 2017.

I don't see no difference in gameplay at all.
Played the group stages of Euro with Belgium.

On the highest difficulty level:

5-0 against Italy. Not a single foul in the game.
3-1 against Ireland. 1 foul in the game.
4-0 against Sweden. 3 fouls in the game.

After the group stages De Bruyne is top assister with 5 assists. He also scored twice. His ratings: 3 times 6,5/10.
I try in Superstar too with England in Full Manual (often with Rooney in playmaker and Kane or Vardy in front)

3-0 against Russia, easy game Russia not really dangerous (4 shoots in and 61% ball possession)
0-0 agaisnt Wales, I almost don't see the ball :SHOCK:
0-0 agaisnt Slovakia, hard game too, few try but nothing dangerous from the tow sides.

1/8
1-2 against Hungary, first goal Hungary shoot deflected by Cahill, I'm quickly back to the score with Kane goal, I really try to score but Hungary score in counter attack, I try I try I try, I got 4 corners in row I shoot alot but the crazy Hungarian goalkeeper stop all ! I finish the game with 16 shoots for 11 in ! crazy game I really enjoy this defeat :SMUG:

Before the patch I don't play against CPU because is so boring, now the CPU look easier but feel more natural

Last edited:
The AI is extremely aggressive when they are going behind in the last quarter of the game. I have seen them changing to back three, and utilizing Fluid Formation, even sending one of their CB upfront.

I remember in some of the earlier PES-games there was a classical player mode but I don't find that in PES 2016. Isn't it there or do I overlook something?
I want to use Johan Cruijff as classical player in the Master League as a special tribute...

Yes. I play against Poland on the second match.

I played in other groups and no team so far is as hard as Poland.

Heres a full match against Poland. I didint play at my best, but even if I did Indont know if I would win. Its too damn hard, they are so agressive defensively, it makes everything harder.

http://youtu.be/_X7kvW87mso

Last edited:
I thought it was just me! Poland absolutely ******* me and I was Germany! But yea, the AI gets aggressive trying to equalize or defend a lead. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom