PES 2011 Demo impressions

Sorry for my English:it's not my native language.
It seems to me that the demo has a serious bug that leaves me disappointed.
First of all i must say demo has the best gameplay ever seen from Pes 2005,but there is a serious bug that I call "the green zone", no matter what difficulty level you choose.
When my player is near the corner (left or right) - have tested it from amateur to top player - i'm always able (100%) to deliver a cross into the area without any effort.
In this "green zone", the opponent AI never try to intercept the ball or making a tackle. Even the AI animation seems to proves this fact: the defender does not raise his leg to intercept the ball, just simply watch you.
Instead, a few meters before this "Green Zone", the AI behavior is correct (it tries to fight and make a tackle, as a defender should do ..)
Can someone confirm my impression?
I hope it will be fixed in the final version .

Last edited:
I've been playing the demo for a while now and have probably clocked up 10-15 matches, so here are my impressions.

The good
- Dribbling and player movement in general is amazing. You can make realistic quick turns/pivots when stationary.
- Passing is brilliant. Takes a while to get used to (I still overhit/completely misdirect more than my fair share of passes) but it's excellent.
- Thanks to the improvements in movement and passing, the playmaker/central midfielder roles are now excellent. You can create space with the flick of a stick and dispatch an accurate pass quickly. Really satisfying when you pull it off. Can't wait to play as Scholes. :D
- The improved player physics means there are more fouls from players clipping each other (à la FIFA 10).
- Tricks are very well executed. They're very slick and well integrated into the play. You actually feel like they might be useful sometimes, unlike FIFA 10 where I found they rarely actually helped you and they were just there for entertainment value. I'm not convinced by the link feints system though, as I prefer the odd trick instead of 4 in one go (who has the time to do that anyway lol).

The bad
- Maybe it's just me, but I can't shoot to save my life. All my shots go straight at the goalkeeper. I've tried aiming them to one side or the other but I usually either miss by miles or the shot ends up being really tame.
- Penalties are awful. Again, it might just be me, but I've had 5 penalties so far and missed them all. I've tried doing them the same way as in PES 2010 (as the command list seems to suggest), but I end up ballooning it even if I quickly flick the left stick a little bit.
- On the same subject, there are a lot of penalties for me. I don't know the exact numbers but I probably got 1 penalty every 5-10 matches in PES 2010. In this one it's more like every 2-3. Every time it's the same way as well - I put a through ball into the penalty box and while the defender tries to reach it by slide tackling they take out my player.
- Every free kick has a replay.
- There's no advantage rule.

Is there anyway to change the cursor speed or player switching in the pes2011 demo?.

Absolutely killing the game for me at the moment,its to automated and switching to quickly.Other then that im currently in dream land.

As an Xbox 360 man I'm extremely jealous of all you guys playing the demo right now! :LOL: Thanks for you all taking the time to post your impressions and videos in here, makes it more bearable for those of us not yet playing. Keep them all coming!

:))

Positives:

Graphics!!
Dribbling with the ball is great, never liked it in 2010 but in 2011 it feels right.
Passing is also great feels very natural and some of the annoying can pass facing the wrong direction is gone so you have to think a little more about it get your position right just like in real life.
Love the crossing its probably no different but with the new camera and the ball effect it seems better.
Defending is great and I love the X and push back to standoff.
Replays look amazing.

Negatives

I actually find the game a little too easy on top player and I was never great on 2010. However I have lost 1 out of 15 games, maybe I am just used to passing the ball more than running but it does worry me as online I get beaten by everyone
Keepers - Still a little poor have had a few low crosses which the keeper has deflected in and another where he ran away from the ball which on top player is a concern.
I couldnt get players to do the long throw maybe I am doing something wrong but the usual circle did nothing (but only tried it a couple of times so could be my controller)
Fouls - Replay each time and give me the advantage I am through on goal!!

Overall

Usually with a new PES I get hammered for the 1st x games as I get used to it, not with this one it feels like football. Its a massive step forward I am more excited about this PES than any since it was ported from PS2.

Good stuff now back to play more matches.

Is there anyway to change the cursor speed or player switching in the pes2011 demo?.

Absolutely killing the game for me at the moment,its to automated and switching to quickly.Other then that im currently in dream land.

u can easily make the cursor cahnge in semi assisted or unassisted mode ...:RANT:

When my player is near the corner (left or right) - have tested it from amateur to top player - i'm always able (100%) to deliver a cross into the area without any effort.
In this "green zone", the opponent AI never try to intercept the ball or making a tackle. Even the AI animation seems to proves this fact: the defender does not raise his leg to intercept the ball, just simply watch you.
Instead, a few meters before this "Green Zone", the AI behavior is correct (it tries to fight and make a tackle, as a defender should do ..)
Can someone confirm my impression?
I hope it will be fixed in the final version .

Yeah, I noticed that too. The defender is like a dog that runs next to you and barks but it never seems to jump and bite. It's rather irritating. I thought this was the final gameplay code, so I guess we have to get used to it.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The defender is like a dog that runs next to you and barks but it never seems to jump and bite. It's rather irritating. I thought this was the final gameplay code, so I guess we have to get used to it.

It is just like in real football -.-

you have to wait for the attacker to make the first move.

What I like so much about this game is that this is proper football. I'm looking at FIFA and can't help but think it's just one huge marketing machine, focused only on satisfying as big a crowd as possible and selling more and more copies. I realise it's not exactly charity work at Konami either but it finally feels like they've returned to their roots, focusing on core gameplay.

For example, this year FIFA is all about 'Pro Passing' and 'Personality Plus'. I have to admit I really liked those ideas when they were first announced (I played FIFA 08, 09 and 10 to death), but when you think about it, those are just basic elements of football and they're all included in PES, just not with the fancy names and marketing campaigns. You can easily overhit your pass, every player feels different, it all feels very natural, not like a gimmick. And that's ignoring the fact it's starting to look like Pro Passing is not extreme enough.

With that being said, I'll play the FIFA demo first before passing judgement but so far I have to say PES 2011 plays a brilliant game of football. The perfect balance between realism and fun if you ask me. I would however like them to iron out a few flaws before final release. After playing some more I still feel the goalkeepers need to be improved and sometimes AI defenders fail to make easy interceptions, but all in all I'm enjoying this more and more.

This is simply stunning, I hope the graphics are made a touch sharper, but even in its current state it beats Fifa South Africa and probably 11, but we shall see next week!

But when that move is made, surely the defender will try to do something? 'In real football' I would expect Puyol to at least stick a leg out at the last moment or try to block the cross to a corner, or even commit a foul as a last resort. In the demo he just comes to a full-stop and leisurely watches the cross fly in without as much as even touching me.

As fideco has pointed out, this only seems to happen in the last fourth of the pitch. Everywhere else it feels realistic.

So, PES 2011 may be aswell a fantastic game, but because the animations aren't OTT like in Fifa you're giving up?

Argh, I'm fine with it really, go ahead, give up, it's your loss.

I do sort of see his point. Ok it's a bit far to totally give up on the game because of it, but what he is saying is correct.

I still haven't finished downloading the demo yet due to my prehistroic Internet connection, but from the videos it's clear to see that some of the goalkeeping animations are terrible still.

It's bizarre because i've been playing a lot of PES6 and even though the defensive Ai is weak, and the Goalkeeping Ai is questionnable, the actual goalkeeping animations are near perfect.

I don't know what they've done. It's almost like an outfield player playing in net at times. It seems from feedback that Konami have simply made them super human, rather than actually fixing the animations.

I'll give an example; A goalkeeper shouldn't land on his front with both hands steadying him after he makes a full length save. It doesn't really happen. Keepers tend to land on their side with their head following the ball - if it does go past them.

In PES they dive two handed, legs straight, head facing forwards regardless of where the ball ends up, and he finishes the animationby landing on his front. It's not game breaking, but it does take away the special feeling of scoring some goals.

But anyway, this is only an observasation and pretending the issue isn't there is no good, as Konami will never realise it needs fixing.

All in all i'm very impressed with most of what i see in the videos. Some of it looks stunning.

My favourite goal i've seen so far was the David Villa where he just side foots it into the bottom corner. It looks realistic, because in this intance, the keeper animation if fine.

So yeah, i'll definitely be buying the game, and i can't wait to try the demo tonight. They've clearly taken several steps forward this year.

Really impressed with the demo,what srikes you first is the freedom of the ball and the reality that konami have captured in a very realistic way,the way a pro moves and turns with the ball,its not as loose as fifa or as exaggerated but every player turns and moves differently based on there height,weight and how these factors effect there centre of gravity,its not like fifa where every player has the same turn speed and movement ratio.I also think konami have nailed dribbling as you really notice the difference between a star player with high dribbling stats and a lumbering defender.

The passing system is sublime being both logical and intuitive as well as extremely pressure sensitive,and when you realise that you have to hit the pass button very gently to pass to your closest player(not overpower which generally sends it to the player further away),everything clicks into place and it feels like a cross between fifas manual/semi assisted passing system.Its not as assisted as fifas semi-assisted system and not as manual as the manual system being more a hybrid of the two.

The long pass and long ball system is a joy and i was happily spraying gentle 5 yards chips and deft 20-40 yard long passes in front of players into space for them to run onto as well as using it as a effective means to hit the ball over the top of opposition players that were filling the short passing channels.

Defending had me worried based on the MLO beta feedback but ive found im able to read the danger early and set up my defence to remedy any offensive play as well as use the r2 button to jockey ala fifa and r2 and dash to jockey run.You can still defend like pes2010 except theres not a bonified tackle button you just hold x,although im also finding the x and back to goal method effective.Ive also noticed because player control is tighter im able to win the ball back cleanly with just my left thumbstick and going toe to toe with the ball carrier,i dont always have to press or use x.

Balls bouncing off players isnt currently as good as eas system but the physicality system in pes2011 is much more realistic,its not like fifa where you only have to get near a player to win the ball back.

So in conclusion so far so good,i havent played around enough with the stratergy system to try and get bayern to push up and make runs down the flanks and be more offensive,as by default they tend to prefer to stay behind the ball,but playing barca who by default are more offensive you do get players making more offensive movements and better runs down the flanks.

Theres a little slowdown on replays and ive also noticed a little sticking from players running onto through balls but nothing that overall spoils the demo.

Its not perfect but its close and certainly a very nice mix of pes and majorAs ISS/perfect striker series on the n64 which is dream material in my book.Only time will tell if this is a classic but early impressions for me are already very good and im certainly enjoying this one as much as i used to pes and iss back in the day.

Last edited:
The long pass and long ball system is a joy and i was happily spraying gentle 5 yards chips and deft 20-40 yard long passes in front of players into space for them to run onto as well as using it as a effective means to hit the ball over the top of opposition players that were filling the short passing channels.

This is something I'm loving as well. Playing with Internacional, who use wingbacks in some kind of 3-5-2 formation, I've lost count of how many times I've hit a long, diagonal ball from the back into the corner for my wingbacks to run onto. Fantastic.

This is something I'm loving as well. Playing with Internacional, who use wingbacks in some kind of 3-5-2 formation, I've lost count of how many times I've hit a long, diagonal ball from the back into the corner for my wingbacks to run onto. Fantastic.

Agreed its fantastic,im also finding im able to alter the elevation by hitting the ball at different points on the bounce and create spin by turning and releasing the long pass at the right moment,clever stuff.....very iss/perfect sriker.

Played about 5 matches yesterday night.

Am I the only person here thinking that this demo sucks?

I thought that after my first match yesterday, was even considering binning the demo. :CONFUSE:

It's like the old PES games the more you play the more you enjoy it.

Looking forward to a long sesh this afternoon.

No..
That part of the field is extremely delicate because from it are always coming dangerous cross into the area .
Defenders in real footbal are absolutely triggered, but in demo they do nothing in that "green zone".
It's a bug that bores me...

No..
That part of the field is extremely delicate because from it are always coming dangerous cross into the area .
Defenders in real footbal are absolutely triggered, but in demo they do nothing in that "green zone".
It's a bug that bores me...

Put it on Top Player.

Back
Top Bottom