PC Gaming

Good advice, both of you. I will try to buy 8GB x2 of RAM asap. Thanks!

Before you rush into 16 GB, keep in mind that- having more RAM than recommend is useless. 8 GB will actually handle it. It seems like your processor's (CPU) clock speed is a bit low too. You might consider getting a better CPU. But wait for new Cpus to come first, maybe you can check the benchmarks of new ones releasing.

About CPU, take suggestion from someone who's more experienced with it. I have i7 4790k, but it might be overkill too. I don't know tbh.

So, if you don't have tight budget, take 16 GB RAM. And do some research on CPUs before you buy (Incase if you need to buy).

In my case, my 8GB X 2(16GB) RAMs are supplementing other poor components. CPU is a AMD FX8300 3.3GHz, and graphics card is a NVIDIA GTX 750 2GB(don't laugh please).
GTA5 runs well at 1080p, and mid-high graphic settings.

Last edited:
Oh... I didn't know that. Actually I am on a tight budget so I have to consider what it is I will be buying. So I guess there's no need to go overboard with 16GB of RAM if my CPU can't handle that. I'll go with 8GB and then wait one more year to upgrade the CPU and add some more RAM. What do you think about it?. Can I go on one more year with the same specs +8GB of RAM instead of 4?.

EDIT:
Thinking of getting this:

71GUz2WaMYL._SX450_.jpg

Kingston HX318LS11IB/8 8 GB DDR3

Last edited:
Oh... I didn't know that. Actually I am on a tight budget so I have to consider what it is I will be buying. So I guess there's no need to go overboard with 16GB of RAM if my CPU can't handle that. I'll go with 8GB and then wait one more year to upgrade the CPU and add some more RAM. What do you think about it?. Can I go on one more year with the same specs +8GB of RAM instead of 4?.

You can play all the games of Ps4 generation. But you may not be able to play in max settings. You have to play in low settings in future games if the games aren't optimized (Which always happens). But you will be able to run all games but the performance is unknown.

Does any 3d vision monitor exist where the 3d glass is attached with monitor like Nintendo 3DS so that I can see in 3d wirhout glasses?

EDIT:
71GUz2WaMYL._SX450_.jpg

Kingston HX318LS11IB/8 8 GB DDR3
It looks like a SODIMM (the one you'd usually fit on the notebook) to me.
Usually slots on desktop computers are longer and that kind of memory won't fit.

To be fair, with the info you provided it's difficult to suggest the right kind of memory.
Which kind of i7 do you have, and which motherboard also?
And another question: is your memory currently made of 2x2GB sticks or is it a single 4GB stick?
If you already have 2x2GB sticks and there's room on the motherboard for other 2 of them, you might consider to buy another 2x2GB set identical to the one you already have if it's still available.

Once we know these details it'll surely be easier for us to suggest something ;)

By the way, switching from a 2x2GB configuration to a single 8GB stick will bring a performance hit more likely than not. Stick to dual channel as much as possible.

It seems like your processor's (CPU) clock speed is a bit low too. You might consider getting a better CPU.
I don't believe his CPU speed is that low actually. I have an old i7 clocked at 2,67GHz at default (I brought it to 3GHz during the winter, now back to default speed) and it hasn't suffered during a game session yet.
I must admit that it starts to suffer when I'm doing videos though (especially when encoding). That's when the fan on the heatsink kicks in and, boy, its noise is annoying.

Last edited:
It looks like a SODIMM (the one you'd usually fit on the notebook) to me.
Usually slots on desktop computers are longer and that kind of memory won't fit.

To be fair, with the info you provided it's difficult to suggest the right kind of memory.
Which kind of i7 do you have, and which motherboard also?
And another question: is your memory currently made of 2x2GB sticks or is it a single 4GB stick?
If you already have 2x2GB sticks and there's room on the motherboard for other 2 of them, you might consider to buy another 2x2GB set identical to the one you already have if it's still available.

Once we know these details it'll surely be easier for us to suggest something ;)

By the way, switching from a 2x2GB configuration to a single 8GB stick will bring a performance hit more likely than not. Stick to dual channel as much as possible.

I don't believe his CPU speed is that low actually. I have an old i7 clocked at 2,67GHz at default (I brought it to 3GHz during the winter, now back to default speed) and it hasn't suffered during a game session yet.
I must admit that it starts to suffer when I'm doing videos though (especially when encoding). That's when the fan on the heatsink kicks in and, boy, its noise is annoying.

Hey bro!

This is my motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3P LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

13-128-417-04.jpg

And I currently have this memory:

Ocz Reaper 4gb (2 X 2gb ) Ddr3 1600 Mhz Ultra Low Voltage (OCZ3RPR1600ULV4G) 2 x2GB, which are these if I'm not mistaken.

20-227-320-15.jpg

So yes, that HyperX module you posted won't fit on your motherboard.

So either you buy another 2x2GB set of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory and put it in the two free slots (I take any 1600 MHz pair of sticks would do, but I have never tried mixing different RAM sticks so I can't guarantee you won't have compatibility issues. I guess everything will be OK as long as you put same modules on the slots with the same colours), or you consider a 2x4GB set.

If you do the latter, be sure that the frequency is 1600MHz ( guess it's the maximum supported by the motherboard without overclocking) and try to keep the "CL" value as low as possible (for example, between CL11 1600MHz memories and CL9 1600MHz ones, CL9 memories are better).

Something like this would likely be a reasonable choice (they also happen to have a lower profile compared to other memories which is a bonus if you have an aftermarket heatsink on the CPU), maybe wait also for bsmaff as he's the expert here so he will surely suggest a proper solution :)

Last edited:
Cool thanks a lot for your input.
So there's no single 8GB stick that wouuld fit in my motherboard?. That's too bad!

Cool thanks a lot for your input.
So there's no single 8GB stick that wouuld fit in my motherboard?. That's too bad!
No, wait, it's a matter of performance. In your case single 8GB sticks aren't supported officially, but I'd say you'd better avoid to go for the single stick anyway, unless you really need to.

Having 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB allows you to have dual channel memory which means that the bandwidth is (theoretically) double than having a single 8GB stick.
You won't see a 2X increase in performance over the single 8GB stick of course, but performance (especially when RAM is stressed) will be something like 10% better.

For example, I have an i7 920 (triple channel memory) and I actually seated 3x2GB sticks on my motherboard (even if I could actually seat 1x8GB which would have probably also costed me less).

Leaked Intel Skylake performance charts have shown there is a 26% increase in performance on the same clock over Haswell CPU's.

But the most impressive is the Mobile processors have seen a 38% increase in performance over Haswell and can now last over 14 hours on the battery.

Last edited:
I just read that the Skylake CPU Core i7-6700k will be presented at the Gamescom this week.

So is that the CPU I need to look at, what you told me? How much better will it be than the overclocked i7-5820k I posted.

edit: Just saw Benchmarks and the i7-5820k (Haswell 6-core) won in every detail against the Skylake i7-6700k (Skylake 4-core). So what is so special about that Skylake CPU?

Last edited:
I just read that the Skylake CPU Core i7-6700k will be presented at the Gamescom this week.

So is that the CPU I need to look at, what you told me? How much better will it be than the overclocked i7-5820k I posted.

edit: Just saw Benchmarks and the i7-5820k (Haswell 6-core) won in every detail against the Skylake i7-6700k (Skylake 4-core). So what is so special about that Skylake CPU?

Which benchmarks did you see?
The 4-core wouldn't beat your CPU as it is 6-core, but would be very close.. But it should easily beat it in single thread processing.

Also it is looking very promising on overclocking with samples of the i7 reaching 5Ghz+ on air cooling.. 5.5GHz might be achievable on Water cooling.

Last edited:
Which benchmarks did you see?
The 4-core wouldn't beat your CPU as it is 6-core, but would be very close.. But it should easily beat it in single thread processing.
2015-07-31-image_mini_oszone.jpg

2015-07-31-image-2_mini_oszone.jpg

So for now I think i7-5820k is still the best choice when I buy the PC this year, doesn't it?

So strange looking at project cars graphic on my new machine i5 3550, gtx 960 on 22 inch IPS LG FHD pulling mix of med, high, ultra setting 60fps.

Coming from a notebook that only capable to handle the game mostly low and 30fps, I feel like it looks unnatural on the new machine, especially motion of the car to left/right seems to quick. Lol.

The washed out graphic look on my previous notebook also make the new machine colour looks unnatural really.

Need sometimes to get used to it. :BLINK:

Just thought I will mention the greatest Steam deal of all time:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/326590/

The "Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991" includes the following titles:

Defender of the Crown
SDI
The King of Chicago
Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon
Lords of the Rising Sun
Rocket Ranger
It Came From the Desert
It Came From the Desert II: Antheads
Wings!
TV Sports: Football
TV Sports: Basketball
TV Sports: Baseball
TV Sports: Boxing

Can finally replay IT Came from the Desert or Wings!! Without messing with an emulator

Last edited:
Just thought I will mention the greatest Steam deal of all time:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/326590/

The "Cinemaware nthology: 1986-1991" includes the following titles:

Defender of the Crown
SDI
The King of Chicago
Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon
Lords of the Rising Sun
Rocket Ranger
It Came From the Desert
It Came From the Desert II: Antheads
Wings!
TV Sports: Football
TV Sports: Basketball
TV Sports: Baseball
TV Sports: Boxing

Some classics there!

71GUz2WaMYL._SX450_.jpg
By the way, talking about strange coincidences...

I actually bought 8GB of memory for my new notebook to use both at home and at the workplace (kind of a BYOD environment here at least for some of us) and I ended up choosing the same memory kind, 8GB of 1600MHz HyperX memory (even if I bought the 2x4GB set, you know I'm a dual channel fanatic).

I had this notebook (a ProBook 455G2) for a couple of days with the "standard" configuration and it was already more than acceptable, but these and a brand new SSD made it change like night and day.

Wouldn't play that series if someone paid me $1,000

Sorry I just really hated the third one when I tried it! I tried giving away codes for the first two but nobody would take them from me, I always offer them when it comes up :) And yes obviously it's a great sale and great post for those who like the series, I just think it's grotesquely overrated and despite a beautifully crafted world very boring, limited game design :)

Obviously I wish I played the first one first and not the third one, but I can't un-ring that bell, hope that adds a bit more to the topic ;)

Last edited:
Sorry I just really hated the third one when I tried it!
I haven't played it yet. I've loved the first and liked the second a lot though, which was similar to the first all in all with little different moves and a little more emphasis on "tactical" combat (there were fights in which either you killed some of the enemies with land mines before they could reach you or you would be dead).
I see where you come from though: the "pattern" to clear a level is pretty similar from a level to another (both in Bioshock and Bioshock 2). What makes each level unique (apart from the setting, as gameworld-wise the Bioshock series is probably the best series I've played) is the set of side-tasks you need to complete.

Still, I would recommend at least the first and the second to pretty much anyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom