Next Gen? or is it no where near being Next Gen?

Is it all its cracked up to be?

• Yes DJ it is... Shut your big fat gob you cunt!

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • No DJ it isnt.... Glad you posted such a great poll and thread!

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought id make this thread to see what you guys think of this Next Gen (or you could probably call it Current Gen now). Is it all its cracked up to be? or is it just Last Gen with High Def graphics and no real innovation?

I am personally swaying towards Last Gen plus HD Graphics... I havent really seen to much that has made me go "WOOOAHH look at that?" Which I did a fair few times from the jump up from PlayStation 1 to 2.

What are your thoughts?

I fully agree. Most of the games I'm seeing are XBox graphics touched up slightly and nicer looking around the edges.

There was a trailer of Madden Next Gen released AGES and AGES ago, the graphics looked outstanding and everyone got all excited. It was touted as in-game video and what we'll be playing games like when next-gen came out. It never came to fruition, it seems now it was just a nice intro movie they came out with.

Some nice next-gen physics here by the way, and even this is a fair way from being released.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C2Sc5qumvZo

I fully agree. Most of the games I'm seeing are XBox graphics touched up slightly and nicer looking around the edges.

There was a trailer of Madden Next Gen released AGES and AGES ago, the graphics looked outstanding and everyone got all excited. It was touted as in-game video and what we'll be playing games like when next-gen came out. It never came to fruition, it seems now it was just a nice intro movie they came out with.

Some nice next-gen physics here by the way, and even this is a fair way from being released.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C2Sc5qumvZo
I can remember that very trailer of Madden and thinking "OMFG this looks the Shit!!!" Then we ended up with a PS2 Madden with HD graphics and a few texture upgrades here and there.

PES6 on 360 was a good example. All they did was High Res the textures a bit.

My biggest disappointment with each 'gen' that gets released, is that the thing that is overlooked is the AI.

Thing is, screenshots (and vids) sell games 99% of the time. If they released images of shit looking games, but with great AI, the systems would never sell.

I would love to see something with the look of PES6 (or 5), BUT, with realife AI, a huge (I mean SWOS levels) selection of teams, Refs/Linesman, Manager interaction etc, 11 v 11 online - all that kinda stuff.

All we ever get are the same (or sometimes) worse versions of the games with HD GFX.

Is there ANY game that was released in NG so far, that couldnt be done on old gen (accepting it would have worse GFX)... I cannot think of many.

Probably Motorstorm couldnt be done to the extent of scale and opponents, probably the only others in my collection that I dont think could be done old gen are Gears of War and Skate!

Is there ANY game that was released in NG so far, that couldnt be done on old gen (accepting it would have worse GFX)... I cannot think of many.

Forza2 springs to mind, thats wasnt pretty either but did have a huge amount of physics in the engine. And.........uuhhh. Why GoW?

Apart from graphics, GoW could definately had been done on the XBox and PS2. At the end of the day, it's still a run-and-gun third-person shooter like Freedom Fighters.

I think it's next gen, if you look at developments like the Wii you have totally different styles of game with the new controller systems.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Freestyle-Game-A17-00001/dp/B00004Z729

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uj8wrsgYt4E

The Wii controller isn't new technology or a new system. I had this controller MANY years ago when Motocross Madness 2 was packaged with it, and you controlled the bike using motion sensors.

Nintendo have been clever, they've rehashed old technology and branded it as something new, when in reality it's nowhere near new.

This is the package I had, notice the OS for an indication as to how old the control system actually is ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cTTaBxPnMZU

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wii controls work well for Simplistic games but I dont think they will work for more in-depth games. I remember when I saw Tiger Woods on the Wii and thought "Cool this could possibly help your golf swing!" Only to realise it doesnt even do HALF a job of doing a proper swing!

Back to Next Gen I feel we may have sorta Next Gen graphics in SOME cases but the gameplay is still not innovative enough!

Not looking for a fight Jay :D I'm genuinely interested in what you think makes it stand out from it being an XBox game? Interesting conversation this one :)

I dont think a game like that could be done on a lsat gen console. You could also add the muliplayer to this that would never have worked.

50/50% thus far... I thought it might be like that. Some people are satisfied and dont really care, others like myself (hardcore gamer alert!) want more.... we know this generation is capable of much more and we are being drip fed little features in each game release......

I spent 400 euros for this machine and hoped to be blown away like they all claimed. But I'm seeing decent graphics or graphics that are just a step higher than last gen. Games also cost £40!!! Why bother air brushing pics!? I thought the consoles were meant to be able to reproduce that!!

I agree with you, it's just last gen with fancy graphics/sound for the most part, COD4 is a good example of that, great to look at, great to hear, but gameplay especially in single player is appallingly last gen, scripted AI that does the same thing over and over, spawning enemies as a means to create difficulty, linear pathways, force choke points, that to me means COD4 isn't worth the 94% or so it has been getting, obviously I'm biased being involved with BIS but ArmA's AI is leap years beyond COD4 or any other "next gen" shooter, can't wait for ArmA2 on 360, already shaping up well and non of this narrow, corridor, scripted AI shooter crap we're still being force fed :)

Nintendo didn't make a techology revolution, they did a strategy revolution. Microsoft, on the other side, has a lot of muscle and power, and sony has the best hardware and good old 3rd parties still loyal to them. The pie is bigger than it was years ago, so at the end of the day they all win by now. And that is what I think defines "next gen", more marketing and strategic moves.

About games, they're just the same, only with better animations and graphics. Maybe it's difficult to develop a good, challenging AI in a game, but I don't understand why the story of all games has turned absolutely crap with next gen. In theory, very good scripts could be written for newer games, but all I find is the same hollywood pathetic clichés again and again. How I miss games with solid story and characters such as Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Larry, Police Quest, Psychonauts, Gabriel Knight... I miss the adventure and character building component in games. Even Uncharted starts well and turns crap into mid-game showing how ACTION is dominating this new gen of games.

Faith remains in games such as Little Big Planet, Spore and the hope for better AI in sports games.

Nintendo didn't make a techology revolution, they did a strategy revolution. Microsoft, on the other side, has a lot of muscle and power, and sony has the best hardware and good old 3rd parties still loyal to them. The pie is bigger than it was years ago, so at the end of the day they all win by now. And that is what I think defines "next gen", more marketing and strategic moves.

About games, they're just the same, only with better animations and graphics. Maybe it's difficult to develop a good, challenging AI in a game, but I don't understand why the story of all games has turned absolutely crap with next gen. In theory, very good scripts could be written for newer games, but all I find is the same hollywood pathetic clichés again and again. How I miss games with solid story and characters such as Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Larry, Police Quest, Psychonauts, Gabriel Knight... I miss the adventure and character building component in games. Even Uncharted starts well and turns crap into mid-game showing how ACTION is dominating this new gen of games.

Faith remains in games such as Little Big Planet, Spore and the hope for better AI in sports games.

:applause:

Brilliant post.

Back
Top Bottom