Music thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week I bought:

Love Is Hell - Ryan Adams
The Last Waltz - The Band (dvd)
Rearviewmirror - Pearl Jam

I've watched Quadrophenia, a rock movie/musical by The Who. I really liked it, it showed me things really don't change that much.

Rearviewmirror is a great album with some of their best songs.

I recently purchased "With The Lights Out" which is the new Nirvana Boxset.
Includes 3 music cds, 1 dvd, and a photobook. Great buy for Nirvana fans.

Another album i purchased is the new U2 one.

joostebrood said:
This week I bought:

Love Is Hell - Ryan Adams
The Last Waltz - The Band (dvd)
Rearviewmirror - Pearl Jam

I've watched Quadrophenia, a rock movie/musical by The Who. I really liked it, it showed me things really don't change that much.
although if your really stonedn and drunk this dvd the last waltz is awesome, but when i read garth's autobiography on the band, "This wheel is on fire" I became tottally against it, in fact NONE of the songs in the DVD were actaully played that night, they were all done in the studio the following months. The actuall performances were apparentyl AWFUL because robbie roberston was too coked up to go on stage as were alot of the perormers, in the orginal VHS edition you can see a HUGE ball of coke stuck in Neil Youngs nose, they edited it out on the DVD. Joost i suggest you get the DVD Bitter Sweet Motel featuring Phish, trust me you cant go wrong, in fact if you PM me your address i will send it to you as a christmas present :)

CSaunders, I am listening to it just now and I'm loving it. Even with the editing you can clearly see how wasted some of the performers are, but that's not really a problem for me.

I am going to PM you right now and I am looking forward to my present.

joostebrood said:
CSaunders, I am listening to it just now and I'm loving it. Even with the editing you can clearly see how wasted some of the performers are, but that's not really a problem for me.

I am going to PM you right now and I am looking forward to my present.
yeah it makes you realize what a bad ass leovn helms is(the drummer) WHAT A VOICe, doesnt robby roberston look like the devil, yo check your PM....

wow, saunders is into good music!! I never would have guessed. ;) Levon Helms has got the greatest voice, I love his vocal on "The night they drove old dixie down"
Van "the man" Morrison's performance on the last waltz is awesome, but then I'm biased, I'm obsessed with his stuff from '69-'75.
tell you something interesting about robertson, if you look at any scorsese movie there is always a credit for robertson as 'music consultant' or something like that. Scorsese has been supporting him for years!! the last thing I remember from him of any note was that "somewhere down a crazy river" thing, but that was the 80's.

cal-neva said:
wow, saunders is into good music!! I never would have guessed. ;) Levon Helms has got the greatest voice, I love his vocal on "The night they drove old dixie down"
Van "the man" Morrison's performance on the last waltz is awesome, but then I'm biased, I'm obsessed with his stuff from '69-'75.
tell you something interesting about robertson, if you look at any scorsese movie there is always a credit for robertson as 'music consultant' or something like that. Scorsese has been supporting him for years!! the last thing I remember from him of any note was that "somewhere down a crazy river" thing, but that was the 80's.
Robertson is a punk bitch who should die in hell, he told everyone he wrote all of the bands songs, which is a bunch of bullshit, he then decided on his own to have the last waltz and end the band, but wha t is more fuked up, is that robbie was invited into the band!!

I would definantly recommend Rearviewmirror to anyone who is not familiar to Pearl Jam, 33 solid tracks on two discs, one disc is stuff that simply rocks loud and the other are peaceful songs.
And thats just a tiny sample of the band.

DirtyFrank said:
I would definantly recommend Rearviewmirror to anyone who is not familiar to Pearl Jam, 33 solid tracks on two discs, one disc is stuff that simply rocks loud and the other are peaceful songs.
And thats just a tiny sample of the band.
is pearljam not that popular in europe?

No, not in UK, well some people may know Alive, Jeremy and Even Flow but thats about it.

Well now hang on, Pearl Jam are a big band over here in as much as that means nowadays. they have a loyal fanbase and still play big venues. Its just that rock music in general has suffered a serious decline, especially when you consider that kids nowadays would rather see busted or Keane over a band like Pearl Jam.

Funny people mentioning pearl Jam, I was just listening to "State of Love and trust" today. great track....... "busted down the pretext"

I am in love with Man Of The Hour by Pearl Jam, a live version from one of their released concerts, don't ask me which one it is.

About The Band, they all seem like quality musicians to me and I love the final part of the DVD where Robertson explains why they'd stopped touring. The life on the road had get the best of them, there's probably only one reason for that. I absolutely love Neil Young's 'Helpless' on that dvd, fantastic!

Pearl Jam are a great band with very loyal fans, you just don't find them in the hitparades, that's all. I reccomend Pearl Jam - State College. It's the final gig from their tour in 2002/2003. A 3 hour rocking concert with great versions of Crazy Mary, Betterman, Even Flow, Rocking in a Free World and many more.

joostebrood said:
I am in love with Man Of The Hour by Pearl Jam, a live version from one of their released concerts, don't ask me which one it is.
QUOTE]
Probably Live at Benaroya Hall
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002JNLUA/qid=1101850515/ref=pd_ka_2/202-4424757-6914235

Also, just to say that Present Tense from No Code is my favourite PJ song, it is so peaceful. And the remixes of Once, Alive and Black on Rearviewmirror are great, sound much smoother than the originals.

joostebrood said:

About The Band, they all seem like quality musicians to me and I love the final part of the DVD where Robertson explains why they'd stopped touring. The life on the road had get the best of them, there's probably only one reason for that. I absolutely love Neil Young's 'Helpless' on that dvd, fantastic!

Pearl Jam are a great band with very loyal fans, you just don't find them in the hitparades, that's all. I reccomend Pearl Jam - State College. It's the final gig from their tour in 2002/2003. A 3 hour rocking concert with great versions of Crazy Mary, Betterman, Even Flow, Rocking in a Free World and many more.
one of the best albums ever was Neil and Perl Jam, complete rocking..... The rest of the band members never wanted to quit, did you see how fucked up garth hudson was in that DVD, in the interviews, HOLLY SHIT!!!

That version of Rocking in A Free world at the MTV awards was amazing. Also the version PJ played at Pinkpop, a Dutch festival. What a gig that was!

The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues.................... I love that album. I am on a musical journey at the moment, it feels good.

csaunders said:
Robertson is a punk bitch who should die in hell, he told everyone he wrote all of the bands songs, which is a bunch of bullshit, he then decided on his own to have the last waltz and end the band, but wha t is more fuked up, is that robbie was invited into the band!!

Levon Helm is (together with Ray CHarles) the greatest voice in Rock Music, but what makes him even better are the backing vocals from Rick Danko and RIchard Manuel (both already deceased).
I really liked Robertsons solo albums, particularly the third one in which he explores he's Native Indian roots...great stuff.

You guys were talking about The Last Waltz. Great record but there is a better live album from the Band. Try Rock of Ages: fantastic.

Somebody was talking about Rearviewmirror from Pearl Jam. It happens i bought that one yesterday (never bothered to buy anything from Pearl Jam) and i like it.

Other music i really like for the moment: Sixteen Horse Power and Joe Henry.

I especially love disc 2 of Rearviewmirror. Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell is also beautiful, but it makes me feel suicidal.

love is hell part I is a good record. I like that track "shadowlands."
I must say its great to see so many people into proper music! I never bothered with this thread because I always assumed it would be full of Eminem, 50 cent, or Good charlotte fans.
Bravo people.

I have Love Is Hell part 1 and 2 together on one cd, is that possible? I think it is, the guy in ths store said so. Anyway Carl, doesn't that album remind you a little of Nebraska - Springsteen? That's still one of my all time fav records.

I've downloaded a Ryan Adams concert last week, he sounds great, when he comes to Holland I'll be there for sure.

That's possible Joost. So do i.
What happened??? Ryan Adams always intended to make one album of it. But some cunt at the record company found the album not commercial enough and decided to make an EP out of it. THat EP received massive acclaim by the critics and so that same cunt decided to bring out a second EP with the rest of the recordings. After the massive critical acclaim for that second EP, that same cunt made his move for promotion and had the brilliant idea to "restore" the originally intended CD.
I serached both EP's but couldn't find them. A year or so later i found the "new" CD.
It had a sticker on it: "The CD like Ryan Adams originally intended " (or something similar).
on the one hand it's very cynical on the other hand it proves Adams right and that's a very good thing.

Adams delivered the love is hell tracks and the record company said it wasnt upbeat enough so he did that terrible rock'n'roll album quickly. I dont what the story for you guys but Love is hell was released as 2 ep's here.
Gerd, have you ever looked into some of the stuff that levon helms goes on about like the blue grass folk and southern baptist gospel stuff? I'm slowly starting to educate myself in that music and although there is a lot of rubbish there is some gold as well. Well worth looking at.

Eminems "Like Toy Soldiers"..wow. And I dont even like rap/hip-hop. That is some powerful stuff. And I cant believe Ja would go as low as verbally attacking an innocent child in one of his songs. We lost tupac and biggie and i guess Eminem has had enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom