Movie Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
hutch said:
Just got back from seeing the Chronicles of Riddick. I expected it to be crap but found it rather good. I haven't seen Pitch Black either. But yeah, I expected to hate it but thought it was a decent film.

Riddick woz a major letdown for me, LOVED 'Pitch Black' and was really looking forward to this but I dont know wot happened. Agreed, it started well enuf and had some very good bits here and there, like running away from the sunrise, but overall DISAPPOINTING.

PS. What on Earth woz Judy Dench doing in this film? Talk about bad decisions (on her part I mean).

Fred_Gavioes said:
looking forward to watch "shaun of the dead" i watched the preview, it seems very good. hehehe. this month on theaters here in US :)

We had it out over here months ago (The 1 time the UK gets a film before the US!!! :shock: ;) ), great film, gettin it on DVD on Monday!! 8)

Hellboy: Really bad :( Acting even for a action film was terrible. Wanted to leave the cinema hall halfway through :roll:

The Bourne Supremacy: Excellent. Really liked it and really lives up to the first. However the shakey cam really confused me on some of the fighting scenes.

The Village: Utter Shiteness.

rockykabir said:
The Bourne Supremacy: Excellent. Really liked it and really lives up to the first. However the shakey cam really confused me on some of the fighting scenes.

I thought the car chase in the middle of that film was fantastic, some of the stuff he got that car to do were mental

Yeah I think similarities were made as they both used mini's but I agree that Supremacy's one was better. Talking of car chases, I'm finally gonna be watching the French Connection 2nite. Been wanting to watch it 4 ages and its got a reputation for having one of the greatest car chases ever put to reel :shock:

Nice to hear some positive reviews for Bourne Supremacy, I'm a huge Ludlum fan and really liked the first movie, read some bad reviews about the second one, still look forward to seeing it :)

Last movie I saw was Kill Bill 2, interesting to see it with Czech subtitles :shock:

i watched the worst film ive ever seen last night. i feel like ive wasted about 2 hours of my life. was called Battlefield Earth. was on ITV 1. absolute bollocks. Saw that travolta was in it so decided to watch it from about 20 mins in. i cant believe i managed it to the end. OH well. steer clear anyway....(if ya want a good film to watch its SHAOLIN SOCCER!!)

Watched Dodgeball and Hellboy this afternoon.

Not bad films really, Dodgeball is fuckin hilarious and Hellboy is top quality cartoon-ish entertainment.

Though if you only want to see a comedy I do highly recommend Dodgeball, the man Stiller is a genius

The mate who I saw Hellboy with thought it was quite good - better than he expected. But it just didn't do anything for me. I'll be watchin Dodgeball 2mrw - from what I'm hearing it seems a laugh.

Apparently, Shawshank Redemption is gonna be re-released in the US :shock: . Hopefully it'll come here [-o<

Hellboy was alright, decent story I thought and some pretty cool villains. I never think much of 'superhero' films, and so it would get 7/10 as it's just a 'popcorn flick' to me. But I prefer it to Spiderman (not seen the sequel) and Daredevil any day.

Also seen 'No Good Deed' (called 'House On Turk Street' in some places) with Samuel L. Jackson and Milla Jovovich, pretty average.

I saw HERO with Jet Li last night. Brilliant cinematics that are artistic and poetic to say the least. The story constantly evolves as the truth is slowly discovered layer by layer.

But overall, I still liked Crouching Tiger better. Also, I dont think i liked the message of HERO. Maybe I was reading into it too much, but the message seemed to stink a little of fascism and repression of individual differences/identities.

I dont wanna comment too much cuz it may spoil the movie, but I was curious what others thought.

I also saw Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle which was stupidly hilarious. It was great to finally see an American movie with Asian lead characters (Korean and Indian guys) who were not some fresh-off-boat caricatures, but rather a couple of regular American kids.

And the shitting British chicks were hilarious. :mrgreen:

Did you guys get that in the UK?

I saw Harold and Kumar a few weeks back, Absolute quality ... I laughed like a bitch :D . I think its gonna be called Harold and Kumar get the munchies over here though ... great film ... especially if you like a smoke.

Saw Anchorman tonight, pretty funny but I think you have to know a bit about the US style Anchorman to fully get it!!

Will Ferrell is a Genius!!!

I was in stitches at some points but the crowd were silent!! (Probly cause I'm Mental!! ;) ) :shock:

Lost in Translation is a great movie, i saw it at the cinema months ago, it not to everyones taste tho, but what movie is...

Finally watched Donnie Darko tonight, Loved it, watched it not really knowing anything about the movie in and ended up being totally drawn into it.
Pretty confusing movie at times with an ending that make you go Yeah i get it now, then what the fucks gone on?

love films like that, where everything is not put on a plate and needs a bit of intelegence to understand whats just gone on.

Yeah DD is great, top film.

I finally got round to watching Gladiator yesterday, dont really like flims about Rome/Romans, maybe i'm placing too much emphasis on films made in the 70's tho ;) But Glad was absolutely spell binding, i cant recommend it enough, didnt seem like it was nearly 2 and a half hours long . . Watch it now if you havent already!

ghazi said:
I also saw Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle which was stupidly hilarious. It was great to finally see an American movie with Asian lead characters (Korean and Indian guys) who were not some fresh-off-boat caricatures, but rather a couple of regular American kids.

And the shitting British chicks were hilarious. :mrgreen:

Did you guys get that in the UK?

Fantastic film. It was one of the films I had to watch again straight after the first time :mrgreen:

Definitely gonna watch with the guys when it comes out in the UK.

Last edited:
I watched FUll Metal Jacket for the first time yesterday, absolutely brilliant film very thought provoking, and i'm sure it was almost revolutionary at the time it was released.

Yeah i know CD, just had a bit of spare time so thought i'd catc up on some films, well worht a watch tho.

Loz, while you're at it, you should check out Apocalypse now and The Deerhunter. They blow away Full Metal Jacket. I only think the first part (training camp) of FMJ is good.

Deerhunter is the best 'Nam film IMO.

CosaNostra said:
Loz, while you're at it, you should check out Apocalypse now and The Deerhunter. They blow away Full Metal Jacket. I only think the first part (training camp) of FMJ is good.

Deerhunter is the best 'Nam film IMO.

Yeah i seen AN, quality film, the bit where the Sergeant (?) is going ona bout surfing amongst all the bombs going off is well funny. I'll check DH out as well, cheers for the tip Cosa.

I thought that about the training camp bit at first, but i really like the rest of the film too, espcially when they are trying to work out where the sniper is . . .

On a similar note, i know Americans are very pro themselves, but the message FMJ puts across, with the marines viweing the Vietnamese as an inferior race is a shocking thing really, just shows you how propganda can influence peoples opinions, mostly in a very negative way.

I think the hand of Kubrick made that movie not as pro American compared to Platoon and crap like that. The Deerhunter is also a form of criticism on the American government and their policy beforem during and after the Vietnam war. I think it's clear there wasn't enough relief after the war and many soldiers got into personal problems.

** I am not intending to start an argument here, it's just what I think **

yeah i think its clear the way you have worded taht you arent trying to start an argument cosa, and anyone on here that holds a personal view will see that you are only stating what you think.

Moreover, i think, if the general theme of Kubrick's story is true then you cant help but feel sorry for the Vietnamese people, but also the Marines for having nothing else to compare the propganda they were fed against . . . all in all you would think that govts would learn to deal with these kind of issues with more sensitivity, but judging from the Iraq war it doesnt appear to have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom