Metal Gear Online (PS3)

After the dissapointment, I'm pleased this has happened now rather than when the full game launches.

This is a 'Beta' after all and part of that is to 'test' the game. So far, the results for Konami are "Need more/better servers!". If they fix that for the launch, the fair enough.

PS3 Fanboy attended New York Comic Con this weekend and got the chance to play several upcoming games, including Metal Gear Online. Konami's booth hosted the game with four-on-four action on the "Blood Bath" map. Andrew, two friends, and myself took on four other gamers excited to play MGO.

The first thing we saw before hitting the battle map was the weapons screen. Here, you need to choose one riffle type weapon, a sidearm, and grenades. There's a good selection of weapons within each category; however, it's still unclear whether all 70 plus weapons promised in MGS4 will make their way into MGO. Once we finally hit the battleground, we proceeded out in a unified team formation. Playing around with the controls, we noticed that MGO was pretty much a standard shooter experience -- which is a good thing as it felt very natural.

Close-Quarters Combat was a bit tough to pull off. The difficulty stemmed mostly from trying to sneak up on crafty human enemies as opposed to static AI; however, it's this thought-stimulating interaction that makes MGO a unique experience. Now, one thing that we noticed that was sorely needed was the lack of a run button. This slowed things down considerably, and does become noticeably annoying if you want to get back into the battle quickly after the usual death-respawn.

We also got a brief look at the leveling system where you hone skills in specific areas such as sniping or CQC. It's quite a long list of abilities which ultimately means that players can create and customize a unique character and focus primarily on a specific fighting style. So far, we enjoyed our time with MGO and we do believe it'll be a title most MGS and multi-player fans will agree to like. Since the MGO beta officially starts tomorrow, April 21, we hope you'll be able to give the game a go and experience the fun for yourself.

Damn... sounds good too :(

2edpphc.gif

2r3fat4.gif

:LOL:

Its not delayed until May 11th its running for an extra week so will finish on May 11th.

Silly Konami obviously misjudged demand.

As a result, the beta's start date - which was meant to be today - has been postponed, with an announcement on a new date expected on Tuesday (Europe: "we will be suspending the European public beta test and restart it once we stabilize our server"). To compensate for this, the beta will be run for another week, and is now due to end on the 11th of May, rather than the 6th. Good thing Konami are doing all this now, such a loooooong time before the game's due for release, because if they left it to the last minute (like, a month and a half before release, say), people might start to worry!

6th of May till the 11th is only 5 days, someone told Konami there is 7 days in a week?

This is sooo funny. When I saw that Konami when going to release a beta for the game I had no doubt that it would fail. They are are rushing to release online games when they have no experience with online play. When PES2008 came out they made sure no demos where released because they knew full well that the game was not finished. Then the online issues kicked in with laggy gameplay and bizzare issues within the game. What got done was minimal 2 updates that fixed the game locally but not online. As of this date the game it still awful online and Konami are doing nothing. It would not surprise me that the servers they use for PES2008 are the same ones they will be using for MGSO.

cannot wait for the full release.

I'm buying MG4 for the offline play anyway - this online side feels like more of an extra bonus - so if its crap im not going to be gutted

Though its supposed to be like MG3's online games which are supposed to be brilliant

I'm buying MG4 for the offline play anyway - this online side feels like more of an extra bonus - so if its crap im not going to be gutted

Though its supposed to be like MG3's online games which are supposed to be brilliant

I'm still confused about how its going to fit in. Apparantly the retail MGS4 will ship with MGO as almost an afterthought and then Konami will patch it as it goes along to bring it inline with the full MGO.

Does that mean MGO is going to stay individual - maybe as a PSN only title?

Confused.com

Right ... so this fingers crossed re starts tomorrow

From what im reading on gamefaqs - the USA servers go live and then maybe... if they are stable ours go live.

Either way - they're saying its a 11pm Friday night restart uk time

I won't be holding my breath

There's A New Patch To Download, 1.0.2.. Using P2P It's Pretty Fast.. Done Downloading In 15Min's

Damn, I'd better go do it now, got to beat the traffic.

Idiots!

Did you take that this morning?

No someone else took it - no idea when though.

But maybe with the new patch - it means they might have fixed the problem.

I'll have to jump online in a second and download the update and see for myself

Back
Top Bottom