Media storage/server

D

DagsJT

Currently I've got a pc under our main tv that I'm using to download and store tv shows and films but I'm looking to replace it. I'm wondering if a NAS server or a HTPC is better?

The tv is able to scan the network for video files (LG 42LD490) and I'd like a small, quiet storage box that the tv will pick up so I can watch the media on the tv. Ideally I'd also want Jdownloader to be able to download the media onto the box directly.

Looking for the cheapest possible option that'll hold a decent amount of media, be whisper-quiet and low power consumption.

Any ideas.

I've got an Apple TV 2 with XBMC on it. All I need to do is turn it on and play whatever is on one of my computers at home. It plays everything, ranging from MKV with subtitles to HD Mp4s. It doesn't host/hold any files thought.

Yeah, I'd want something that could do the downloading already really as the tv plays everything anyway.

I have a Popcorn hour A200 with wifi dongle, 120gb internal hard drive and external 2tb usb hard drive, works a treat, the porpcorn hour can download torrent/nzb directly itself, you just administrate from PC or set up RSS so it autodownloads every new episode of a show you want :)

It's by no means the cheapest option though :) We paid £218 for the Popcorn hour and £29 for the wifi dongle, not sure if the cheaper options offer the chance for wifi internet access/PC streaming but in principle they all do the same thing, you can buy a refurbished A-110 for $105US + $35 which does everything the A200 does except for there being a compatible wifi dongle I believe but you could easily air it up with a wireless router of some sort connected via short ethernet cable I'd imagine, you can get more info about the refurbs here: http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=buynow

If you want energy effiency, I wouldn't bother looking at streaming, means you have to run a pc aswell as the mediaserver.

I have a more basic set-up. WDTV, connect a usb hdd and it plays nearly everything off it. But I still need to download with my pc and copy the files to the usb hdd. But we have one in the bedroom aswell, so it works the best atm. They are/were only 85e, although a mate was always downloading 1080p stuff and when the files were over 10GB it wouldn't read it.

Popcorn seems to be the best option, although a HTPC could have a dts decoder in it, which helps. As far as I know, popcorn (and the WDTV) doesn't have a decoder, so you need to run the dts files through optical out to a homecinema set-up, or like me, convert the audio on the pc before watching.

Ended up just going for a NAS server in the end. The TV plays MKV's over the network anyway and my other TV has a PS3 which'll stream from the network as well.

Back
Top Bottom