Is ronaldo the greatest modern day footballer?

I think it's much easier to score 40+ goals a season today when playing for the big 2 in Spain than it was for Ronaldo to dominate the way he did.

Like it or not, La Liga is outrageously unbalanced right now - this year we had the most goals for a team in a season (beating last years record) most goals by individuals, most points (beating last years record) and so forth. It's not competitive if a team can beat 18 of the other teams by an AVERAGE of 3 goals a match.

Hence.

As good as Messi is, I can't call him the greatest until he plays somewhere else. Ronaldo did it in multiple countries, but over a shorter time frame.

The best player that I've seen over the past 25 years or so was Zidane. Did it everywhere, did it for his national team, did it in the CL final - he ran the show.

Ronaldinho had all the talent and physical attributes to emulate Zidane's dominance of the game, but only managed it briefly.

True Real/barca win games 4-5+ goals every week back in 2000 etc this was uncommon the league was tighter and the gap not so huge.

As for Messi well he is more a team player and can link play mid-att etc whereas Ronaldo was a pure striker.

Also Ronaldo was only 20 years old back then and had a goal per game ratio he did the same in holland for psv when he was 19 and 18 and in Brazil when he was only 17. Up til his knee injury he was on a goal per game ratio from like 17 to 23..so not even at his peak...Then off couse that was his peak due to injuries but had he had no injuries and kept that form youd be talking scoring 50 goals per 30 games lol...u never know

How many other players in recent history have been scoring goals per game for big teams and in foreign leagues since they were 17. And been best player in world at 19-22 years old?

Last edited:
Right now Ronaldo stands as probably the best of the last couple of decades, Ronaldinho could have been up there but his real peak was fairly short lived. In my opinion if C Ronaldo and Messi can avoid injury and a loss of passion then in ten years time either or both of them could eclipse every one else.

Right now Ronaldo stands as probably the best of the last couple of decades, Ronaldinho could have been up there but his real peak was fairly short lived. In my opinion if C Ronaldo and Messi can avoid injury and a loss of passion then in ten years time either or both of them could eclipse every one else.

What did ronaldinsho do? I mean he had games here and there but I cant say I recall him being a dominating player over a whole season or 2?

Im not slatign him as I like to watch him play. But when i thikn Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo I think potential game changers/match winners every game every season.

Ronaldino I just cant recall him being consistently a player to fear? Maybe Im being harsh? As he could change matches.

Ronaldinho was defn the guy opposing teams feared in 2004, 2005, and some of 2006. 2007 was the start of the Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi era.

Ronaldinho was defn the guy opposing teams feared in 2004, 2005, and some of 2006. 2007 was the start of the Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi era.

Looking at his stats seemed he peaked at Barca up til 2007 then had a a good 2009/10.

Ronaldinho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He wasnt really a top player for a long period. When you think Zidane and even say Beckahm these players seem consistently good for 10-15 years. But maybe thats lifestyle and attitude differences?

Beckham? Come on. Giggs, Cantona and Scholes, yes, but not Beckham.
Ronadinho wad definitely better than Beckham. For two or 3 seasons while being at Barcelona, he was the best player in the world (maybe together with Zidane, and don't misunderstand me: Zidane definitely is the better player, much better).

I think it's much easier to score 40+ goals a season today when playing for the big 2 in Spain than it was for Ronaldo to dominate the way he did.

Like it or not, La Liga is outrageously unbalanced right now - this year we had the most goals for a team in a season (beating last years record) most goals by individuals, most points (beating last years record) and so forth. It's not competitive if a team can beat 18 of the other teams by an AVERAGE of 3 goals a match.

Hence.

As good as Messi is, I can't call him the greatest until he plays somewhere else. Ronaldo did it in multiple countries, but over a shorter time frame.

The best player that I've seen over the past 25 years or so was Zidane. Did it everywhere, did it for his national team, did it in the CL final - he ran the show.

Ronaldinho had all the talent and physical attributes to emulate Zidane's dominance of the game, but only managed it briefly.

just agree with everything in this post.

as for the topic, the comparison of players from different eras is just nonsense to me. it's not something like a controlled experiment at all. it's just impossible imo. enough with that best, greatest, biggest thing. just enjoy the game.

Last edited:
Beckham? Come on. Giggs, Cantona and Scholes, yes, but not Beckham.
Ronadinho wad definitely better than Beckham. For two or 3 seasons while being at Barcelona, he was the best player in the world (maybe together with Zidane, and don't misunderstand me: Zidane definitely is the better player, much better).

I never said becakham was a great player but he was consistnenlty a top player every season.

He didnt have a real peak or whatever you just knew for 10 years he supplied great crosses and free kicks...I wasnt reffering to his skill level.

But maybe even someone like Figo was a consistent top player for many years also and giggs.

Like Gerd I wouldn't put Becks in the same class as Zidane and Dinho either. I think he was a class/tier below. With Zidane and Dinho it all comes down to personal preferences. You can rank Dinho over Zidane, or Zidane over Dinho. Also, all this talk in here of how its much easier score 40+ goals today as opposed to back then is bulllllshiteee. No one on here played in La Liga back in the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's. So how the heck would you know how easy it is to score 40 goals in a gruelling league competition that last 10 months? Simple Answer: You wouldn't. Watching on the tube or being in attendance doesn't tell you the whole story.

Like Gerd I wouldn't put Becks in the same class as Zidane and Dinho either. I think he was a class/tier below. With Zidane and Dinho it all comes down to personal preferences. You can rank Dinho over Zidane, or Zidane over Dinho. Also, all this talk in here of how its much easier score 40+ goals today as opposed to back then is bulllllshiteee. No one on here played in La Liga back in the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's. So how the heck would you know how easy it is to score 40 goals in a gruelling league competition that last 10 months? Simple Answer: You wouldn't. Watching on the tube or being in attendance doesn't tell you the whole story.

Firstly I aint comparing Becks to these gusy he is not on there level my point was about consistency lets say becks is an 8/10 player. For 10 years he played 8/10 most games.

Now take ronaldinho a 10/10 player on his day. He played 10/10 for a few seasons then 8-9/10 a few seasons..And some games just very poor.

You can say Zidane was a 10/10 player who was like Beckham in that he was consistently playing his best for 10+ years.

There is a higher goal ratio in the games in la liga these days. Change of tactics, new balls etc...I dont know I think its possible its easier to score now? The gulf between barca/madrid and lower teams could also make goals easier to score.

Why are ignoring the fact Zidane and Beckham had poor games? You highlighted the fact that Dinho had poor games but not Beckham and Zidane. Are you saying that they have never had poor games? You certainly didn`t mention that. Heck, even guys like Messi and Ronaldo have poor games. Its inevitable in a 38 game season. About higher goal ratios, tactics, new balls, and the gulf between top teams and bottom teams. Anyone can assume its because of this or that. The reality is that no one knows for sure.

Why are ignoring the fact Zidane and Beckham had poor games? You highlighted the fact that Dinho had poor games but not Beckham and Zidane. Are you saying that they have never had poor games? You certainly didn`t mention that. Heck, even guys like Messi and Ronaldo have poor games. Its inevitable in a 38 game season. About higher goal ratios, tactics, new balls, and the gulf between top teams and bottom teams. Anyone can assume its because of this or that. The reality is that no one knows for sure.

That was not my poitn even best players have off days.

With Dinho my point was he only played consitenly great over a few seasons the other seasons he was 'just' an 8/10 player. Wheras Zidane was a 10/10 player every season his whole career.

Even Ronaldo was only a 10/10 player until he was like 23. Then he had ggod+poor seasons.

I dont mean to be harsh on Dinho at all as he is one of my favourite players. I just dont think he was as influenctial on games for every season but u can correct me if wrong as I didnt follow him to much I guess.

I haven`t seen every one of Zidane`s season`s. That said, saying he was a 10/10 player at Cannes, Bordeaux, Juventus, and Read Madrid might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe someone else who has seen him his whole career can chime in? I thinking PLF, Drekkard, Zio, and Gerd? People who have been watching the beautiful game a lot longer than me.

I haven`t seen every one of Zidane`s season`s. That said, saying he was a 10/10 player at Cannes, Bordeaux, Juventus, and Read Madrid might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe someone else who has seen him his whole career can chime in? I thinking PLF, Drekkard, Zio, and Gerd? People who have been watching the beautiful game a lot longer than me.

Well every player is different. With Zidane he was a good player in france then became worlds top player, after that point he never declined. He just retired.

Beckham was known for his free kicks and crosses from his early 20s and he consistley season after season produced until 30s.

Ronaldo was banging in goals per game when he was 17 until 23. Then got injuries and what not then was scoring not as much and not as consistnely definitely not the 10/10 worlds no1. player he was.

Messi, became one of worlds top players at 20 and since then has not decline at all same with C.Ronaldo. Still they are young.

Giggs has been consistently top player for 15 years.

Micael Owen was a famous youngster and potential top player but he suffered injuries and became just pretty average after his mis 20s.

Etc...etc..

MAny players are different.

Ronaldo was defo the worlds no1 player until he was 23. had he not got injuries and what not considering he was still amazing he couldve blown away all kinda records.

Zidane was much, much more consistent than Ronaldinho.
Ronaldinho had two or maximum three outstanding season, the rest were average...

This is a player who could things with a ball no other player could do. People tend to watch youtube compilations of Ronaldinho, but those don't tell the real story.

To me a player like Scholes was much better than Ronaldinho.

^ Yeh and on a related note take Denilson.. Of course he cant compare to Ronaldinho at all but when very young he was the next big thing and doing things on the pitch noone had seen before. BUt he ended up pretty much a dud.

And how about Robinho another guy with plenty talent but sometimes he dont seem up to much?

though Ronaldinho is a class above them.

Zidane was much, much more consistent than Ronaldinho.
Ronaldinho had two or maximum three outstanding season, the rest were average...
Actually ronnie was very constant back in day when he was at PSG but he was too selfish sometimes if that's why you mean ;)

Actually ronnie was very constant back in day when he was at PSG but he was too selfish sometimes if that's why you mean ;)

That is not what i mean.
You just geve the ansewer yourself in your post (but obviously are not aware of it).

I will give you a hand: Zidane was very constant when he was with Bordeaux (don't know about Cannes), Juventus, Real Madrid and France.

Well, I also want to say something that might make you people react, but though football is collective, we remember the player and not the team.
We remember Ronaldo's dribbles, Beckham's free kicks and so on.
Guys playing "only" for the team might be outstanding, they'll not be remembered as the best in history (we never remember keepers, and hardly defenders for instance)
Selfishness is bad for the game but it is what enables a player to mark its time imo

Argentina has a bunch of great strikers, but has no deffense and, even worse, no midfield. Messi has to play as a playmaker most of the time and has no one else around...

Ronaldo was a beast and one of the most powerful strikers ever. But as a player, Messi and some other are on a much higher level. 73 goals AND 30 assists on a single season? Messi has beaten both not playing as an striker , it is just insane!

Messi has a larger influence in the pitch, can create the play from the midfield and end it. For all awesomness ronaldo had, he was just a striker and could play only as a striker and had minimal influence in the play of the team as a whole.

Plus, personally I even rate Romario above Ronaldo, simply because what ronaldo had in power Romario had it in his brain. Pure magic. I always prefer skill and vision over power. Ronaldo had incredible skill but you get what I'm saying. That's why players like Zidane and Xavi are above Ronaldo as well in my oppinion. And players like Henry are pretty near as well.

Argentina does have the midfielders thank you. And young defenders emerging.

Ronaldo great striker along with Batistuta of the nineties.

But certainly not as great as Pele or Maradona.

Ronaldo was the most feared player in the world before the serious injuries. No one was so exciting to watch then or since. Messi is the Messiah now, but grew in the perfect environment for his talents. Van Basten was my must watch player before them. Couldn´t separate the respect and awe i have for these 3 players.

On a side note, Zidane only became world class(regular,reliable), after Bordeaux, with Lippi at Juventus. Lippi turned Zidane from a gifted player to a football machine. There´s a documentary about it somewhere..., and at his time i loved Barcelona´s right winger FIGO. Phenomenal player to watch...

Maradona made me love football. Is my number one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom