HTC Mobile Phones Thread

jonneymendoza

Legend
1 January 2004
Arsenal
Lets continue where the touch pro 2 thread ended as soon as people started arguing over how iphone is the best thing ever.

Keep this thread on point and about htc devices.

Placebo, hows your touch pro 2 so far? is the battery life good on it?

When I got it it had stock 6.1 I upgraded it to the stock 6.5 and found it was really slow to respond and froze a lot, my wife has the same phone, both Vodafone versions of the OS but hers was 6.5 when it arrived and was about 4 times faster, I flashed mine to EnergyROM_23504_RHODIUM_08.Nov.2009_Standard and it was lightning fast from then on, never lagged or anything, very happy with it, and of course the proper keyboard on it makes typing really quick without the screen being obscured. Can't comment too much on battery life yet as I haven't used it that much, there was some stuff on the xda forums that 23504 might drain the battery a bit faster than necessary but I read there's already a new version of the rom out which might address that.

Any good apps you recommend?

my first contract phone was an htc. was actually an orange branded spv 100, way back in 2000/01... after than, and for my next 5 phones, i always had 'orange branded' htc devices, from e100, e200, m3100, diamond...

it's funny cos 5 years after having that original spv, BRAND NEW phones were being hyped as having the ability to 'record video' and use 'msn messneger' etc, where htc (windows mobile) devices were capable of doing it light-years before!!

diamond was my last htc phone. i'm now an iphone 3gs user, but htc devices are spectacular in every way. i just fancied a change...

btw, for you guys with WM devices, have a look out for flashing non-stock, 'cooked' roms from www.xda-developers.com

they are always a gazillion times better and faster than the htc stock ones...

make sure you don't fall into the old 'tinkering' trap!!

i flashed soooo many roms to my diamond, that i ended up spending more time 'tinkering' than actually using!! very addictive!!!

Yeah I'm wary of the same, there's a new version of the rom out but I want to figure out how to back up my settings and config first so that I can install the rom and then have it back configured as I had it before without having to do it all manually, installing all apps to my storage card instead of the phone to help with that.

i'm thinking of getting the HTC Hero for my free upgrade in the new year, anything i should be informed about before i go for it? i've read numorous reviews and there has been hardly any negatives that i've found so far.

Considered the HD2??
Got one of these myself after weeks of T-Mobile f-ing about. Really impressed with it except for the call quality crackling slightly. Other than that, a very nice phone indeed. Prefer it to my old iPhone (I had the 2G not the 3GS)

i'm thinking of getting the HTC Hero for my free upgrade in the new year, anything i should be informed about before i go for it? i've read numorous reviews and there has been hardly any negatives that i've found so far.

If you promise not to slag me off I will help you. The htc hero when releases was a bit unresponsive but now it's excellent. Android is the next big thing

htc_hd2_2.jpg

Just ordered the HTC HD2

Anyone else got one or used one?

It's a 16GB iPhone 3GS in mint condition. I reckon I could get £350 for it on eBay. So about that really. If you're interested make me an offer, I might well accept.

I don't blame you for switching Tim - although the iPhone is very good, the price of them is ridiculous (you can buy two Xbox 360s, a big TV, or a very good computer for the same amount)...

I've got a pretty cheap phone but I don't need an expensive one because the iPod does almost everything these expensive phones do, apart from having 3G and a camera and the cheap phone does the calls and texts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Rob, iphones are good but overpriced imo. Im semi happy with my ipod touch. Im going to get either the nexus one or htc bravo and i bet you the latter will be far cheaper than a iphone

I don't blame you for switching Tim - although the iPhone is very good, the price of them is ridiculous (you can buy two Xbox 360s, a big TV, or a very good computer for the same amount)...

Not necessarily, I have a 3G 16GB and it only cost me £240 so it is not that expensive really for what it does. The 3GS is expensive but a bit extravagent IMO as it only really boasts faster speeds, storage and video recording (which I can do anyway).

I've got a pretty cheap phone but I don't need an expensive one because the iPod does almost everything these expensive phones do, apart from having 3G and a camera and the cheap phone does the calls and texts.

But that's the beauty of an all in one device that ties in the phone features, not having to carry a phone aswell. You're missing a lot without the phone features, 3G and GPS Eg For one, finding numbers through safari, copy pasting numbers, emails and calling/emailing directly - amongst many other features.

They will be cheaper because they are crap.

Amen to that

Last edited:
I'm not really missing out because:

1) I don't drive, so GPS would be of no use to me.
2) I very rarely use emails to communicate with people, just IM/text/call, so emails wouldn't matter.
3) I don't use my phone enough for a contract to be worthwhile, and last time I looked 3G/mobile internet is a massive rip-off on PAYG, plus I can't think of a situation where i've needed, or even wanted internet access when i'm out.

I don't really get why having an all-in-one device is so important? The iPod Touch is very slim and it's the perfect size to fit in the pocket, and as I have more than one pocket, I can easily carry more than one device...

But yes, I agree with the last point, with most things you get what you pay for...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK fair enough obviously I didn't know all of that, but you see my point. Also if you're spending £150-200 on an iPod touch you may aswell get the phone thrown in for a little extra even if you don't use it that much, just for the value and features it opens up.

You can get 3G PAYG free for 12 months on a lot of O2 SIM packages these days.

Anyways.. Back OT

They will be cheaper because they are crap.
HTC phones are crap? You need to take that fanboy shit somwhere else because if you ever used a htc device, you would know its not crap.

Yes HTC devices are not as fast and slick as a iphone(although the nexus one and HD2 are on par to a iphone imo.) but spending nearly double the amount on a Iphone for just a slightly faster phone with "less" features?

Its like saying the 360 will cost double of what a ps3 costs but offer less features out of the box but is generaly is a better console.

Ditch your 360 then and stick with a ps3 as the 360 is cheap because its shit(by your rogic)

OK fair enough obviously I didn't know all of that, but you see my point. Also if you're spending £150-200 on an iPod touch you may aswell get the phone thrown in for a little extra even if you don't use it that much, just for the value and features it opens up.

You can get 3G PAYG free for 12 months on a lot of O2 SIM packages these days.

Anyways.. Back OT

an ipod touch 32gb is around £220 and a 18 month contract for that same device at a £35m tarrif is nearly £300 for the 32gb iphone last i looked at it.

the ipod touch is still far cheaper imo. You can use that extra 70-80 quid and get the HTC HD2 on a similar priced tarrif. With that you will have two devices for the price of one.

Back
Top Bottom