Football Manager 2008

Re: Football Manager 2008 Demo

I paid £24.99 to make sure I got it today.

Cant believe GAME were actually selling today, first time ive ever witnessed them say yes we will sell today!!

Whats wrong with the match engine?
They've altered how high the goals are, so shots that are (with the old engine) going ten million miles over the bar, go in.

Some people notice it, some don't, it was the very first thing I noticed and it put me right off. There's no excitement when you can't tell if the ball is going in or not.

"Fucking hell, that's going miles o... Oh, it went in. Cool."

They did a little poll to see who had a problem with it and who didn't, and it's now on the official bugs list. Thank fuck, if they don't get around to fixing it the game is going back. The off-the-pitch stuff is marvelous, the level of interaction with staff and with fans is incredible, but if it comes to a match-day and you can't tell what's a good shot and what's a shit shot, it ruins the entire experience for me. I might as well have the game on text-commentary.

I dont think i have ever known anyone who can make such a fuss out of such a little thing :)

You say it's little but if the screen went black every time you took a shot in Pro Evo and you had literally no idea whether it was going in or not, it wouldn't be a little thing...

Wow, what a funny copy protection! From the SI forums:

"Please take a look at this post

Basically in the Euro Championships its letting the teams who finished bottom of the qualifying group ...qualify and those who finish top...not qualify

so the Euro championships is filled with teams like azerbaijan, kazakhstan

i really dont understand how something like this can make it into the game

something that previously worked no problem in everyother game release....then it suddenly appears backwards

plus how was it not picked up in testing

hmm just spoils the enjoyment of the game..i meen fair enough other small things here and there are fine..u cant expect to pick up everything in such a deep and large game

but this isnt something small"

And the reply from Miles Jacobson:

"Ha ha ha ha ha hah aha hah ahah haha haha hahah ahahahah haha haha hahaa.

Glad to see someone pirating our game having their game being screwed over.

That will not happen in the retail version. It is one of many thinks that will happen over the long term when the pirating scum steal food from our tables.

Nice thread title too Furney - want me to edit it for you?"

I'm unsure if this is also occuring if you use a savegame from the demo and play it on the full retail version too ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Meant to be another bug which means closing down just doesn't work at all, SI have acknowledged it and will fix in a patch. How can the testers not know closing down doesn't work?

And confirmed by a tester at SI, "This DID happen in the demo, if you continue it there is a chance Euro 2008 will be a tad screwy but you shouldn't have any other issues on a legit version. Sorry, we understand this is annoying but trust me, I'm in the same boat as you in regards to my 'home' game."

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you like FM 07? You'll enjoy FM 08 :) Same game with a few tweaks and some minor additions.

I did enjoy 07 but I got bored with it...I dont have the patience to play games for long anymore. I used to put the hours in on the champ mans and football mans though, hopefully this one will prove just as addictive.

Same here mate, exactly the same. I think growing up I've tended to spend less time on games and I generally don't have the patience to stay with FM. But when I do get involved for a period, then there's no stopping me :)

have a read through some of the 2008 bugs threads on sigames forums.

i was about to buy this game, but i'm gonna wait for a patch.

it seems it is pretty much uplayable in it's released state. teams finishing bottom of the uefa qualifers are qualifying for the finals and teams who finish top aren't!

also, there are random goal flashes popping up during matches, matches going to penalties when the game was won, wins going down as losses in the league tables etc...

bit of a disgrace really - where were the playtesters?

Last edited:
And the reply from Miles Jacobson:

"Ha ha ha ha ha hah aha hah ahah haha haha hahah ahahahah haha haha hahaa.

Glad to see someone pirating our game having their game being screwed over.

That will not happen in the retail version. It is one of many thinks that will happen over the long term when the pirating scum steal food from our tables.

Sounds like SI borrowed the concept of FADE from Bohemia Interactive :)

Apparantly it also happens with people continuing with their demo in a retail copy too.

seems like a bit of a calculated risk by doing that.

now noboday knows for sure if the game is bugged to shit or meant to be that way due to anti-piracy triggers in the code!!!

think i'm still gonna wait...

Apparently, in a perfectly legal version, closing down doesn't work properly (like "defensive line" never worked in FM2007 until the ball was in a certain place). And I've mentioned my issues with the ball.

My copy arrived this morning, thank God, but I'm not even installing it until the first patch is out.

I'm giving up on this until the patch comes out. The lack of closing down is really pissing me off, players just stand off and let the opposition keep the ball and stand still while waiting for them to find a pass. Load of bullshit. Every year SI fuck something serious up, worse than Konami in ways.

someone posted a potential solution to the closing down problem.

something about moving the slider one notch to the left of center or something like that, but still doesn't sound right to me - what if you want to have it all the way back!?!?!?

Apparently, in a perfectly legal version, closing down doesn't work properly (like "defensive line" never worked in FM2007 until the ball was in a certain place). And I've mentioned my issues with the ball.

My copy arrived this morning, thank God, but I'm not even installing it until the first patch is out.

The closing down issue is massively obvious as soon as you watch the game. That's my only bugbear with the match engine so far (I don't really care so much about your high shot problem).

So that means you can have closing down on/off and not a margin? Rubbish.

Huh? You have the entire slider as normal. It's just that whatever setting you use it makes no difference. :D

bought it yesterday - so far i've not encountered any of the outrageous bugs as mentioned in sigames forums.

started as macclesfield (tipped to finish bottom of league 2) and i'm struggling badly after only a few games. my players need to get their fingers out of their asses and start winning a few games!

didn't play the demo, but i'm not sure what to make of the skin - it feels unfinshed or bare or something.

gonna hammer out a prolonged session this afternoon and see what happens...

Not sure if this is a bug but I am scoring a lot of goals from corners which get disallowed for fouls. I am celtic and it seems every other game I am scoring from corners and then getting them chalked off everytime.

Might just be me but seems to frequent.

Back
Top Bottom