Football at the Olympics 2012

what difference are you talking about, the one that made bergdich loose his nerve and get a red card ?
what pisses me off the most about ramadan is the fact the players don't need fatwa to know that they can eat if they pay back by giving food to 60 poor people wich should not cost much in Morocco. you can make 60 sandwichs for 60 euros.

Maybe you're right but Bergdich loosing his nerves had nothing to do with fasting. Anyway it seems that the Moroccans really had a difficult time ,today they were really toned down apart from El Kaoutari & Labyad who were on top form ,the whole team was awful on the physical term! I mean a guy like Kharja who's been doing this for year looks drained & unable to lead the team , hell he even gave the captain arm band to Barrada just to motivate him ;)

Last edited:
Maybe you're right but Bergdich loosing his nerves had nothing to do with fasting. Anyway it seems that the Moroccans really had a difficult time ,today they were really toned down apart from El Kaoutari & Labyad who were on top form ,the whole team was awful on the physical term! I mean a guy like Kharja who's been doing this for year looks drained & unable to lead the team , hell he even gave the captain arm band to Barrada just to motivate him ;)
neither kharja nor barrada were captain, the captain was Driss Fettouhi as always in this olympic team. Verbeek didn't want to give it to kharja even if he's the captain of the first team.
in both games it was difficult for morocco in the second half, fasting isn't good for high level games like theses.
well now Morocco is almost out of the games like most compétitions we take part in. verbeek did awfull coaching taking out amrabat for najah who's a mdf aiming to keep the draw. and to begin with, amrabat who's a winger was put as a striker in orther to give bidaoui the right wing even if he wasn't a key player of the olympic before.

Actually Barrada was captain on the 2nd half when Fettouhi went out ;)
anyway Spain isn't that big of a obstacle you can surely take them if Honduras can!

Actually Barrada was captain on the 2nd half when Fettouhi went out ;)
anyway Spain isn't that big of a obstacle you can surely take them if Honduras can!
Now that Spain is out they don't have any kind of pressure and they'll want to quit the competition nicely so I think they'll win.

Anyway I totally agree with pogoss especially for the coach mistake but still I think if the players plays great we still have a little chance to make it even if it'll be super hard considering that Japan have to win although they're already qualified.

Hi Bebo, that's part of a wider debate that has been here in the last days.

First of all, Spain deserved a big win against Honduras. Not only because of the 3 posts, but also because of the 2 blatant penalties that the ref decided to ignore. Both were very clear and it made the Spanih players go mad towards the end. And the attitude of Spanish players towards the end was atrocious.

Add to it the unacceptable behavior of most of Honduras players doing theatrics during 90 minutes. There was one instance in which a player was in the ground "dying", Honduras recovered the ball and the player quickly stood up and participated in the counter. Even the spectators were booing them every time on of them fell to the floor "dying".

Diving, theatrics, dirty plays, pathetic refs... There was an Spanish athlete who twittered "Football shouldn't be in the Olympics. All that cheating, theatrics, dirty play... it's far from the Olympic spirit". And people agrees totally. If football has to be like this, it's better to be out of the Olmypics.

And this has been quickly extended through people in Spain and hence why 90% of people may say this now. You have to be classy on wins and defeats. And Spain didn't act well in the defeat. A very very undeserved and unfair defeat. But you can never act like that in the last minutes.

I´m just waiting Wednesday, I really hope Uruguay's awakening, i will be very happy if Suarez scores some goals in the british faces.

Btw, the booeing to Suarez demonstrates the lack of olympic spirit of the British, the guy was wrong and paid, why are they still doing that? why they don't boo Terry? Ups, I forgot the hipocresy :)

Brazil is the great candidate, Spain just confirmed the truth: when this golden generation pass they won't be in the top for another 50 years. GB, no words, pityful.

many people (me included) share the same thought here in italy aswell.
it's quite ironic indeed: that the sport wich is most followed and practised around the globe, also happens to be the one which least embodies the true spirit of agon.

Btw, the booeing to Suarez demonstrates the lack of olympic spirit of the British, the guy was wrong and paid, why are they still doing that? why they don't boo Terry? Ups, I forgot the hipocresy :)

It might be something to do with Suarez bringing the incident up again last week, instead of leaving it in the past. It was kind of expected at Old Trafford, but not so much at Wembley.

And don't worry - John Terry will get his share of abuse (as usual) when Chelsea come to OT ;)

First of all, Spain deserved a big win against Honduras. Not only because of the 3 posts, but also because of the 2 blatant penalties that the ref decided to ignore. Both were very clear and it made the Spanih players go mad towards the end. And the attitude of Spanish players towards the end was atrocious.

Add to it the unacceptable behavior of most of Honduras players doing theatrics during 90 minutes. There was one instance in which a player was in the ground "dying", Honduras recovered the ball and the player quickly stood up and participated in the counter. Even the spectators were booing them every time on of them fell to the floor "dying".

Diving, theatrics, dirty plays, pathetic refs... There was an Spanish athlete who twittered "Football shouldn't be in the Olympics. All that cheating, theatrics, dirty play... it's far from the Olympic spirit". And people agrees totally. If football has to be like this, it's better to be out of the Olmypics.

And this has been quickly extended through people in Spain and hence why 90% of people may say this now. You have to be classy on wins and defeats. And Spain didn't act well in the defeat. A very very undeserved and unfair defeat. But you can never act like that in the last minutes.

Ok, that makes sense I guess the timing and such made me giggle. Now, Honduras I know all too well about them . The US plays them on the norm whether in qualifying or the Gold Cup . They are the worst I`ve seen and most Americans dread playing them for their un-sportsmanship .They do help the US and make them sharper for it ,so they`re a friend in disguise :P

The thing w/ Olympics is the sportmanship the hugs n kisses given out after a loss or win . Although, seeing Wambac getting punch upper-cut style (USA vs Columbia) and has a shiner for it. To me is the worst I`ve seen in the game.

Last edited:
So, after all this drama about the condescending Spain & Uruguay teams and the ridiculous uppercut, these are the Quarterfinals.. all of them to be played on saturday:

Japón vs. Egipto, Old Trafford
MÉXICO vs. Senegal, Wembley Stadium
Brasil vs. Honduras, St. James' Park
Gran Bretaña vs. Corea del Sur, Millennium Stadium

This Mexico team is definitely getting a medal

Last edited:
not sure about Mexico here i mean Sénegal have some quality within, the match that i'm actually anxious about is Egypt x Japan! Japan has a really gifted youth team and so does Egypt these two will be definitely continental champions as seniors you can take my word on that!

I thought England played pretty well against Uruguay last night. Controlled the game and possession very well. Jack Butland in goal had a great game, definitely one for the future. Looking forward to Women GB tomorrow evening and Men GB on Saturday evening!

not sure about Mexico here i mean Sénegal have some quality within, the match that i'm actually anxious about is Egypt x Japan! Japan has a really gifted youth team and so does Egypt these two will be definitely continental champions as seniors you can take my word on that!
Yeah, i also think both Japan and Egypt will grow their teams into continental champions! lovely teams from rich historic countries

about the Mexico - Senegal game, let's place a bet:
whoever wins, gets to choose the avatar for the loser, and it has to stay at least for a month.. are you in?

:)

If only Japan chose Kagawa into their squad, they'd have a better chance against Egypt...it really is anyone's game as Egypt is a very strong team. (For those that don't know, the JFA decided not to call on Kagawa as they felt giving him the pre-season with Man Utd will be of a better advantage to his growth in the long-run)

Senegal and Mexico will be another thrilling encounter...but i do have to give an edge to Mexico here, not sure about medals though...

I just hope team GB advances...haha

I thought England played pretty well against Uruguay last night. Controlled the game and possession very well. Jack Butland in goal had a great game, definitely one for the future. Looking forward to Women GB tomorrow evening and Men GB on Saturday evening!
Lolwut.

Oh dear :FAIL:

So who were Ramsey, Giggs, Bellamy, Allen and Taylor then? Guest players?

GB Women's team knocked out. Thank you Canada :WORSHIP:

Ironic that Bellamy was hoping Welsh people wouldn't boo God Save The Queen (not many Welsh turned up apparently due to vociferous opposition to the team), yet the huge influx of English people who turned up (in their thousands) were the ones who booed Suárez. But they're hypocrites all the time, complain about Welsh players not singing/fans booing their anthem, yet do it themselves.

We don't want to be associated with them lot. Besides, I was cheering for Uruguay :D

Last edited:
The Olympics is a great learning experience for the young English & Welsh players as far as I'm concerned, their involvement in the tournament can only aid them in the future if they play in the Euros or World Cup. Anyone who can't see that is a fool.

Last edited:
Oh :LOL:. My bad! Can't get used to saying "Team GB" for Football matches!

No offence intended.

Back
Top Bottom