FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Remember during the PS2 days when fifa fans would slag off PES without actually playing it and you convinced your mates to really give it ago then spent the next few years playing against each other every night.
This year feels like the complete opposite PES fans barley if at all played FIFA and slagging it off for old reasons that have been fixed this year whilst really missing out trying to wait for a patch to fix non existent single player AI or random factors like fouls etc while they just announce more faces

Remember during the PS2 days when fifa fans would slag off PES without actually playing it and you convinced your mates to really give it ago then spent the next few years playing against each other every night.
This year feels like the complete opposite PES fans barley if at all played FIFA and slagging it off for old reasons that have been fixed this year whilst really missing out trying to wait for a patch to fix non existent single player AI or random factors like fouls etc while they just announce more faces

I'm really enjoying Pes 2018 as I did with Pes 2017 which I played all year round. .. .Fifa is getting praised no end for being "awesome", "excellent", "best game ever" and this is coming from seasoned pros after playing it for one day . .I think psychologically the safety net of sliders reassures them that any problem can be fixed . . .that and their sky sports simulation seems to make them happy chappies. .and good luck to them, I just believe that Pes has the better gameplay.

I'm really enjoying Pes 2018 as I did with Pes 2017 which I played all year round. .. .Fifa is getting praised no end for being "awesome", "excellent", "best game ever" and this is coming from seasoned pros after playing it for one day . .I think psychologically the safety net of sliders reassures them that any problem can be fixed . . .that and their sky sports simulation seems to make them happy chappies. .and good luck to them, I just believe that Pes has the better gameplay.

I believe FIFA 18 has the better gameplay of the two, but I understand that someone will prefer PES - we're human afterall, we have different preferences. To say people prefer one over the other because of having only played it for a short while, because of a "safety net" and "sky sports simulation" is a bit silly though, in my opinion - it's not really what people on here cite as their reasons for liking the game.

But hey, I don't want to get into another which is best of the two discussion - it's pointless, as it's just preferences anyway. :)

I believe FIFA 18 has the better gameplay of the two, but I understand that someone will prefer PES - we're human afterall, we have different preferences. To say people prefer one over the other because of having only played it for a short while, because of a "safety net" and "sky sports simulation" is a bit silly though, in my opinion - it's not really what people on here cite as their reasons for liking the game.

But hey, I don't want to get into another which is best of the two discussion - it's pointless, as it's just preferences anyway. :)

I don't want a debate either, I didn't actually say that people prefer it over Pes after playing for a short while . .I said they formed their opinion in one day. .I am allowed an opinion in this thread I hope.

That's true but clearly some people don't play either game long enough to give it a fair shake. Every time I go from PES to FIFA I'm hit by how much faster FIFA feels, and I hate it at first. But then I get used to it and all is well with game speed.

It's the same with PES. Going from FIFA to PES, I'm always struck by certain things that are far behind FIFA, but then I get used to some of it.

Both games play so differently, you really need to play each for a good period of time to get in-sync with each, master the controls, get used the different speeds, etc. Instead you'll get posts by people who download the demo of the "other" game, who you can tell based on their criticisms didn't play enough.

I don't want a debate either, I didn't actually say that people prefer it over Pes after playing for a short while . .I said they formed their opinion in one day. .I am allowed an opinion in this thread I hope.

Of course, I didn't mean that. :) I just wanted to point out that people have stated several other reasons for liking FIFA 18 other than presentation and "safety net sliders". I'm very much open to the possibility that I might still end up disliking the game in the long run, you never know until you've given it a good run for its money, but we've only had both games for a short while, alas we can only judge the games by the time we've spent with them so far.

That's true but clearly some people don't play either game long enough to give it a fair shake. Every time I go from PES to FIFA I'm hit by how much faster FIFA feels, and I hate it at first. But then I get used to it and all is well with game speed.

It's the same with PES. Going from FIFA to PES, I'm always struck by certain things that are far behind FIFA, but then I get used to some of it.

Both games play so differently, you really need to play each for a good period of time to get in-sync with each, master the controls, get used the different speeds, etc. Instead you'll get posts by people who download the demo of the "other" game, who you can tell based on their criticisms didn't play enough.

Yep, I'm the same. I much prefer how it "feels" to move the players in PES, for instance, it all feels kind of floaty in FIFA. There are plusses and minuses with both, obviously.

Of course, I didn't mean that. :) I just wanted to point out that people have stated several other reasons for liking FIFA 18 other than presentation and "safety net sliders". I'm very much open to the possibility that I might still end up disliking the game in the long run, you never know until you've given it a good run for its money, but we've only had both games for a short while, alas we can only judge the games by the time we've spent with them so far.

Yep, I'm the same. I much prefer how it "feels" to move the players in PES, for instance, it all feels kind of floaty in FIFA. There are plusses and minuses with both, obviously.

That was my point Daisuk about judging too early.

Good point,been playing FIFA all week,17 acctually,the "shit game", guess what,I really like it,and I know that I will like FIFA 18 even more,since loads of trusty guys in here praising it.
I use both games for different reasons
Can't do a career in Italy or South America on FIFA,that's Pes domain for me
Lower leagues England is amazing on it though,they nailed it,wish those leagues had more stadiums though.
So one game for one need ,the other game for some other need.
Simple.
Even though most FIFA guys consider me being pro Pes 24/7 I'm open to FIFA when it's good,which it's been since 16 to me.

Good point,been playing FIFA all week,17 acctually,the "shit game", guess what,I really like it,and I know that I will like FIFA 18 even more,since loads of trusty guys in here praising it.
I use both games for different reasons
Can't do a career in Italy or South America on FIFA,that's Pes domain for me
Lower leagues England is amazing on it though,they nailed it,wish those leagues had more stadiums though.
So one game for one need ,the other game for some other need.
Simple.
Even though most FIFA guys consider me being pro Pes 24/7 I'm open to FIFA when it's good,which it's been since 16 to me.

I'm having a bunch of friends over tomorrow, and I'm wondering whether to play Pes or FIFA. I actually have a feeling Pes might be best for multiplayer, but we'll see. I hear you though! I'm the same. :)

I'm having a bunch of friends over tomorrow, and I'm wondering whether to play Pes or FIFA. I actually have a feeling Pes might be best for multiplayer, but we'll see. I hear you though! I'm the same. :)
Ha ha,yeah,for me it's a beauty playing a ML on shitty Italian stadiums,and lower league English on FIFA
Wish they had conference football on it as well
I'd go Pes with friends
Have fun

PES is faster than FIFA, i have both games. You can ping pong quicker in PES.

I think graphically PES looks better. The lighting is great and faces look great. Tactically it has more depth and I still think PES has nailed the inertia between the player and the pitch perfectly - something Fifa has failed to do every since 360 movement was introduced in Fifa 10. Lateral movement is totally broken in Fifa. Players cover too much distance with each movement when moving laterally or diagonally, like there's no friction or foot placement, almost as if they're on skates. This is the biggest contributing factor to the pace of the game feeling a little off at times....even with slider reductions for everything speed related.

That said, Fifa, for me at least, tops it in most other departments. The AI is fairly basic, but much less cheesy than PES, particularly on the higher levels. In PES, tactics tend to override the AI of your cpu controlled teammates and the tactical instructions prevent players from making blatantly obvious movements which would lead to a chance of a goal. The player run instruction is there to be used in these situations but it's quite fiddly and less intuitive than in Fifa.

The single player offline experience is much better in Fifa. ML is so outdated it's laughable. The fact that transfers aren't even up to date by release day is beyond comprehension, as is the fact that veteran players in their absolute twilight still have the same market value and ratings as they did 5,6 or 7 years ago. It's just pure laziness by Konami and that laziness is apparent all over the game. The commentary is abysmal and the menus make your eyes bleed. The commentary in Fifa to be fair is miles behind that of a game like NBA 2k, but still much superior to PES.

And finally, player individuality - something in which PES used to piss all over Fifa, just isn't as pronounced on PES as it once was, or perhaps its just not as noticeable anymore because Fifa has closed the gap.

For all the overwhelmingly favourable reviews, I'm just not seeing it with PES this year. It's not a bad game, but I've honestly not touched it since last Friday, and that's a pretty bad sign considering its been out less than a month. As for Fifa, this is the first Fifa in a while where my appreciation is increasing the more I play it. It used to be the opposite as a lack of depth used to become quickly apparent, but it seems varied enough to keep me interested this time round. I'd go as far as to say that EA aren't a million miles away from a really good game. They just need to work on implementing some modern tactics and philosophy into the game, and finding a way to make a better connection between the player and the pitch to eradicate or lessen the skatey feeling. Do that and I'd be very content.

When everything is clicking I still feel that PES is a more entertaining game. I love the old school feeling. For example, that there aren't tifos every time you are playing a game in Italy. The stadiums are replicating a more real experience. Also, I still feel that the good players stand more out. I can simply feel their movements and abilities more.

BUT… FIFA is at the point more solid. It’s just less frustrating. Insert the game and everything is working. Career Mode is deeper. PES (if we’re lucky) would be up and running in December. It’s too late in my opinion.

The patch situation is a great example. FIFA is improving – Quick. PES give us updated faces, but still lacking the solution with lofted through balls, less falls and switching issues. FIFA is a complete package. More done and they are far better prepared to the release date. There is a flow in the updates they are releasing.

PES is always the feeling of ‘’’what it could have been’’. I really think the potential is bigger. They are outstanding in some areas of making a football game. I just think that everything is so damn complicated and the feeling is more ‘’unfinished’’. A thing you can’t say about FIFA.

When everything is clicking I still feel that PES is a more entertaining game. I love the old school feeling. For example, that there aren't tifos every time you are playing a game in Italy. The stadiums are replicating a more real experience. Also, I still feel that the good players stand more out. I can simply feel their movements and abilities more.
Disagree on this, FIFA individuality stands out far more for me and i think its down to the animations especially shooting as in PES the majority of the shots are very similar regardless of who hits them, same in defence. A top quality defender in FIFA i will use van Djyk as an example really stands out as a quality defender not much gets passed him and i felt it in my career mode and lost 2 games without him. In PES i can put more or less and CB in and it does the job.
I could argue the same for attacking, i lost both Mane and Salah for 2 weeks and there was an immediate impact in my attack, the lack of quality showed in my attack capability. Then there is the actual team differences - this stands out miles more in FIFA - if i am playing a cup game game against a lower division team m they will swtich to long balls and play to team strengths, it will be more scrappy as expected but the average premiership players really shine against the weaker players of the lesser team - again just doesnt happen nowhere near as much in PES

Disagree on this, FIFA individuality stands out far more for me and i think its down to the animations especially shooting as in PES the majority of the shots are very similar regardless of who hits them, same in defence. A top quality defender in FIFA i will use van Djyk as an example really stands out as a quality defender not much gets passed him and i felt it in my career mode and lost 2 games without him. In PES i can put more or less and CB in and it does the job.
I could argue the same for attacking, i lost both Mane and Salah for 2 weeks and there was an immediate impact in my attack, the lack of quality showed in my attack capability. Then there is the actual team differences - this stands out miles more in FIFA - if i am playing a cup game game against a lower division team m they will swtich to long balls and play to team strengths, it will be more scrappy as expected but the average premiership players really shine against the weaker players of the lesser team - again just doesnt happen nowhere near as much in PES

Okay.

I agree on the defending part. I am playing with Milan in Career Mode. Here Bonucci is a monster defensively.

In attack, I think better players are standing more out in PES actually. I really can’t feel the small difference between the players. Actually, Borini is feeling nearly as good as Suso now. Maybe it’s me who isn't as good as I should be (in terms of dribbling and shooting). I don’t know.

BUT… FIFA is at the point more solid. It’s just less frustrating. Insert the game and everything is working. Career Mode is deeper. PES (if we’re lucky) would be up and running in December. It’s too late in my opinion.

The patch situation is a great example. FIFA is improving – Quick. PES give us updated faces, but still lacking the solution with lofted through balls, less falls and switching issues. FIFA is a complete package. More done and they are far better prepared to the release date. There is a flow in the updates they are releasing.

PES is always the feeling of ‘’’what it could have been’’. I really think the potential is bigger. They are outstanding in some areas of making a football game. I just think that everything is so damn complicated and the feeling is more ‘’unfinished’’. A thing you can’t say about FIFA.

Pes 18 like Pes 17 could come with a late run on the inside rail (after patches) and pip Fifa to the post. .who knows. . play whichever makes you happy.

I've been playing them for a while now.

FiFA 18 wins In my opinion. There's basically nothing in PES 18. It's sluggish and unresponsive compared to FiFA 18, gameplay overall feels too slippery on PES, animations look okay but they look like sliding, horrible cloth physics, grass, presentation, horrible ambient occlusion. Only thing I liked more on PES is the player lighting which is neat. Overall not bad game, but to me FiFA 18 feels more solid.

I've been playing them for a while now.

FiFA 18 wins In my opinion. There's basically nothing in PES 18. It's sluggish and unresponsive compared to FiFA 18, gameplay overall feels too slippery on PES, animations look okay but they look like sliding, horrible cloth physics, grass, presentation, horrible ambient occlusion. Only thing I liked more on PES is the player lighting which is neat. Overall not bad game, but to me FiFA 18 feels more solid.

Fair enough Sami .. yes Pes has problems which need fixing and hopefully they might be fixed but remember Pes 2017 was abandoned by most people in the early stages and turned out to be one of the Pes games ever . .I don't play Fifa and can't honestly comment on how it plays .. it is seductive to play because they get the off the field stuff right.

I've been giving FIFA another chance since Friday.
Played like 15 more games (about 30 in total now), 10 minutes halves on Professional level. With a modded Locale.ini and Matt's sliders with a tweak of my own.
It's grown on me, but it still feels boring.
Dribbling in this game is almost impossible (at least for me). I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, but I find it extremely hard to break down an opponent by wrong footing him. The only way for me to get past players is knock the ball forward with a fast player, or with a one-two. It gets very monotonous at times. I feel like I'm missing something.

Although I agree Career Mode is awesome and players positioning and midfield battle is a lot better than in PES.

However, I love PES graphics, animations and individuality so much more.

I've been giving FIFA another chance since Friday.
Played like 15 more games (about 30 in total now), 10 minutes halves on Professional level. With a modded Locale.ini and Matt's sliders with a tweak of my own.
It's grown on me, but it still feels boring.
Dribbling in this game is almost impossible (at least for me). I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, but I find it extremely hard to break down an opponent by wrong footing him. The only way for me to get past players is knock the ball forward with a fast player, or with a one-two. It gets very monotonous at times. I feel like I'm missing something.

Although I agree Career Mode is awesome and players positioning and midfield battle is a lot better than in PES.

However, I love PES graphics, animations and individuality so much more.

It seems like I am not the only person that find the dribbling in FIFA 18 really fiddeley. It forces you to use skills and mash a bunch of buttons together instead of it being contextual and stats based like in PES 2018. FIFA 16 dribbling was so much more better.

It seems like I am not the only person that find the dribbling in FIFA 18 really fiddeley. It forces you to use skills and mash a bunch of buttons together instead of it being contextual and stats based like in PES 2018. FIFA 16 dribbling was so much more better.

Exactly.
FIFA 16 had it spot on. It was about timing, stats and skills (not right stick skills).
PES 2018 is very similar to FIFA 16 in that regard, which is why I like it even more-.

I was hoping Pes was gonna be released on Switch.
Ea have stolen a march on Konami in that area.
I actually think Konami would make an excellent switch version.
Hopefully something for pes19

FIFA 18 is the best dribbling on any football game period for me. It's about dribbling with the right player and knowing their limitations before they lose the ball. its about holding up and shifting the ball trying to create space and holding off the defenders. I really don't understand the button mashing at all. PES dribbling is just too easy with an average player, that may or may not be down to the dribbling system or just the vast amount of space to dribble in to. When i played PES though i didnt miss a really quality player in the game as i do in FIFA. If the likes of Mane or Courtinho or Van Diyk are out through injury i have really missed them because of how good they are. I just dont get the same feeling in PES

FIFA 18 is the best dribbling on any football game period for me. It's about dribbling with the right player and knowing their limitations before they lose the ball. its about holding up and shifting the ball trying to create space and holding off the defenders. I really don't understand the button mashing at all. PES dribbling is just too easy with an average player, that may or may not be down to the dribbling system or just the vast amount of space to dribble in to. When i played PES though i didnt miss a really quality player in the game as i do in FIFA. If the likes of Mane or Courtinho or Van Diyk are out through injury i have really missed them because of how good they are. I just dont get the same feeling in PES

Could you show me a video of how to dribble in FIFA as you described?
I find it literally impossible and it makes the game a lot less enjoyable for me. Dribbling to get rid of an opponent is a vital part of football.

But I wish the dribbling was more contextual instead of pressing lot of buttons at the same time or use the right stick. I think PES 2018 and FIFA 16 nails dribbling.

Pes 18 is not responsive as FiFA 16. Left stick movement/dribbling was very comfortable on FiFA 16. PES 18 just feels sluggish. That's why I love FiFA 18 more.

So, I think I'm posting this in the right thread now. ;)

Could someone who plays FIFA online give me some info about a couple of things.

First, semi- assisted, is it more/less or the same assisted as Passing assistance 1 is in PES? For online that is, I hate ping pong- passing.

Second, individuality in players and teams, are there differences? This has always been the main thing that have put me off when it comes to FIFA.

Back
Top Bottom